imakecutebabies

How Do You Do It?

Tonight my Fiance and I went out to get some errands done and it was my idea to go grab a bite to eat. After looking over the menu (we went to TGI Fridays) I found something I thought I could eat. It was grilled chicken skewer appetizer, only 570 calories I think. Well the chicken on there is very small, I cut it up. After one piece of the chicken I started getting a painful tightness. It felt like the food was stuck. This has been happening since I've been able to eat actual food. Usually when this happens I throw up. But I refused to let myself throw up in public. My fiance quickly put the food into the container so I wouldn't have to see or smell it. I eventually felt better (maybe 20-25 minutes later). The dietician told me to try eating crackers with cheese (laughing cow lite cheese) or peanut butter on them. I can handle those just fine, I can handle yogurt, soup, jello just fine. But for some reason it seems like anytime I want to eat I can't eat. I'm barely getting in 300-500 calories a day and am basically living off of cheese and crackers/peanut butter and crackers. Did anyone else go through this? I can't eat soft pasta like my surgeon said I should be able to, It comes right back up. I don't want to have to live off of soup for the rest of my life. Someone please tell me that this gets better! My surgeon has NO answers for me as to why this is happening! Usually my meals now are sugar free hot chocolate. I'm afraid that I'm going to harm my body by not eating =(. I really just want to cry right now....

Poor you, I fine with most foods( though eating chicken out, is usually too dry and hurts so I usually order fish or seafood) and only have weird pouch days about two days a month at the start of a period. Other then that, no problems. But my hubby who is over a year further out than me, had the same experience as you for about 4/5 month however, and all he could keep down was cracker/rice cakes, cheese, peanut butter and quorn. But by about 8 months out he could eat almost anything fine and has had no problems since.

So I'm sure it will get easier for you and I know how bored and frustrated you must be with it all. Thoughts with :)

Supplement with protein shakes in the meantime while you're going through this, so you can keep your protein levels up.

yea- this occasionally still happens, for me it's - chicken, eggs, almonds. Always remember to PAY ATTENTION while chewing. Sounds dumb, but we get thinking and laughing and talking and end up eating like we used to - fast. I've tried eggs at home alone chewing a million times and and they still get stuck. IDK. Some foods are just off limits for a while. When I go out to eat, I try to stick to chili. It always goes down OK, looks like a normal food choice, and has plenty of protein. Good luck. I know sticking food is horrible and it does get less often but yes, 9 months ago - I still occasionally get food stuck. Hang in there.

You're also only a little under 7 weeks out. I was only put on solid food after 4 weeks, and was told to introduce solids one texture at a time. I was actually specifically told to avoid chicken at first since it tends to be dry and might make me sick (which it did for a while). However, it did and does get much better. When out I try to stick to steak or seafood since it is almost always moist enough for me to handle.

For now, treat your pouch pouch like a new baby. Just like a baby, you need to introduce new foods and textures one at a time so that you can determine what you react well with and what you don't. Also, it will give you time to get used to these "new" textures. Don't rush yourself. Oh, and i find that filet mignon is the best meat to eat early out. It is the most tender and lean at the same time, and delicious too (though a bit expensive).

Good luck!

Something similar happened to me, I even thought I was getting the start of a stricture. then my husband said that he thought I was eating too fast. At first I thought he was being ridiculous but it turned out he was right. I honestly thought I was eating slower and even though it was slower than before, it was not slow enough, lol! Once I concentrated on chewing, chewing, chewing, and chewing some more, I'm now able to eat small amounts of chicken and other things I swore I couldn't. I wish you luck and that you find your solution soon.

Edited by Luciluu

I progressed very slowly through the food stages... alot slower than I was supposed to, but that's how it happened for me. I was not able to eat chicken or steak or turkey until nearly 1 year post-op. I always did better early out with ground meats, very small amounts. I think you just need some more time to handle dense foods. Like someone else suggested, supplement with shakes. I think I ate soup or chili every day for months 2,3 and 4 post-op. It will eventually get better for you, you just have to be patient and deal with your limited choices while not getting dehydrated.

I am so with you here. Chicken gets stuck 250% of the time. lol. Eggs do too. I've never thrown up but I've gotten the foamies. We HAVE to slow down and we HAVE to chew to liquid. Smaller bites too. You'll get there (me too, lol). {{hugs}}

Never threw up, never got the foamies, but OHHHHH, did I get the queasies every time I ate too fast for the first few months. Yep, slowwwwwwwwwww wayyyyyyyy down.......Chew the heck out of that stuff. I couldn't do chicken at first but tuna and shrimp and peanut butter and eggs were ok.

Good luck!

Nancy

I'm almost 4 years out, and I think I've thrown up in every restaurant in town. It's always the same thing, Chicken or Steak that goes down wrong, gets stuck and causes the dreaded foamies.

If what I order looks too dry, I don't eat it anymore. There's no shame in sending it back. Usually if I'm out at a restaurant I stick to salads and soups that go down easy.

I also can not eat chicken or almost any kind of meat. I struggle at restaurants and usually end up getting only soup. I eat whole wheat crackers with PB and cheese. My staple when nothing else works

Edited by Donnahas2boys

I'm almost 4 years out, and I think I've thrown up in every restaurant in town. It's always the same thing, Chicken or Steak that goes down wrong, gets stuck and causes the dreaded foamies.

If what I order looks too dry, I don't eat it anymore. There's no shame in sending it back. Usually if I'm out at a restaurant I stick to salads and soups that go down easy.

it's so awesome to hear from people like you who have been post-op for that long and still maintaining your weight loss. hope i am able to do as well as you when i'm 4 years out!

im nearly 10 weeks out and the things i am eating regularly now are:

oats

decaff lattes with a scoop of 'perfect isopure' by natures best

low sugar hot choc with a scoop of 'perfect isopure' by natures best

homemade chick and butternut soup

variety of cheeses...manchego is a fave

yoghurt and fruit smoothies either as a drink or as a snack with a scoop of wheat germ or protein or both

crackers and pate or cream cheese

fresh tofu from an oriental supermarket...marinate it in any sauce over night

any mince cooked in a tinned soup for a variety of flavours and to keep it moist...have with mash

wheatabix cereal

pronutro cereal

granola cereal or with yoghurt

cold cooked whole chicken from the supermarket...i find they are more moist that way than cooking it myself or buying hot chicken from a shop. i pull it all off the bone and keep in a tupperware. then dish up a small amount and chop it up super small, microwave it for a minute just to warm it and then pick at it slowly as i get full on chicken and sometimes it can threaten to come back up so i really do have to watch the amount.

when i go out i either take a scoop of isopure to put in a coffee as a meal or i choose the softest thing on the menu...usually a starter or a side eg baked Camembert, humus,cheese board, soup ...japanese food is easy: salmon sashimi, tofu dishes, miso soup with tofu or noodles etc or else i dont order anything other than a coffee to have my protein in and try a little of everyone elses...obviously only with good friends and family....or suggest that the table shares starters or tapas so you can all try a little of everything.

ive only recently been able to eat scrambled eggs without issue....and i make sure they are soft and not over cooked!

hope this helps :)

Edited by flamenca_star

I had trouble with white meat chicken at first. I usually only cook chicken breast at home and it is always very juicy and tender. However it has to do with how it tends to clump up even when you chew it really small. I read - I believe on here - that dark meat chicken usually goes down better. For a while I cooked a chicken leg for me when I cooked chicken at home. It went down far easier. You also have to be extra careful with chicken to chew chew chew. It is also imperative that you take a break between bites. Because of chicken's nature to clump up after chewing it you need the space between bites so it doesn't clump up and get stuck as it goes down.

Please make sure you are getting your protein in. Supplement with shakes as needed to ensure you are getting it all in. This will help some with your calories as well. Things will more than likely change. It will take some time though. Good luck hun.

I agree with others- try softies like mashed beans, tuna salad, egg salad, etc. Its usually is pretty hard in the beginning with meats- and chicken is typically hardest as you see from all the comments! Fish fillets should go pretty well cause fish is usually soft and flaky. But don't give up- and know it WILL get better!

This happened to me the other day when I was eating my leftover chicken stir fry. It wasn't going down right and I got the foamies for a few minutes. I prolly didn't chew enough - hate it when that happens. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone. I've been eating chicken since 5 weeks post op and never had a problem till now. Today I decided to go to Wendy's and get a small chili. It went down fine. I just don't understand how I can eat things like cheese and crackers, peanut butter and crackers, oatmeal, thinly sliced salami, etc. and not have a problem. Not to be TMI but what is the foamies exactly? I've noticed that after I eat like chicken, I start getting like what seems to be a thick watery substance that comes up and I end up having to spit (it usually happens a 10-15 minutes BEFORE I throw up). IF this isn't the foamies what could it be?

The Foamies are when you swallow something and it sits in the pouch wrong. Your pouch then tries to protect itself and secrets a lot of clear mucus -type stuff, that then fills the pouch and makes you throw up. But when you do, all that comes up is this muscus stuff.

It's pretty gross, but it's better than having an obstruction in your pouch.

This post has been helpful. I'm three weeks out and nearly everything after makes me feel icky. I had a fried egg today and thought I was going to die. The other day I ate four crackers with peanut butter and it was horrible.

I will try some of the tips above. This is still so hard!