Claire-in-Texas

The Honeymoon Period

So I'm only 15 days post op & now on soft foods. I have 2 protein questions that were not answered at my first visit to my support group last night. (One person, 3 years out & post-baby, monopolized the discussion; most attendees were a year or more post surgery; nurse moderator didn't "moderate.")

They said--as does my post-op eating plan--one protein shake for breakfast, no drinking liquids for 30 minutes after. Can have a protein drink as a snack between meals.

BUT: One allowed "meal" is hi protein soup or broth (eg, Unjury or added protein powder); another is milk (it is a food, after all). We are supposed to count these items as part of our overall liquid count (as well protein).Fine. BTW, I have NO PROBLEM getting in my fluids anyway.It was explained previously (NUT class) that you don't drink liquids right after a protein meal because they will flush the protein through the stomach before it gets digested. 

1. I said I had a logic question & asked: The protein drink itself as well as the soups & milk are liquids, so how is it that THESE proteins don't get flushed through too? Then everybody excitedly repeated the above about letting the proteins sit. (The nurse also went on & on about how to drain off the milk before eating the cereal; I didn't mention cereal, have no plans to eat it ever--and it isn't even on my plan.) So my question was never actually answered/explained.

*Again: how is it that THESE LIQUID PROTEINS don't get flushed through too?*

2. In the morning, I mix my wonderful-but-too-sweet vanilla Premier Protein shake with 2 cups tea and a pinch of chai spices,for 32 oz liquid & 30g protein. YUM! I sip on it for a couple of hours (heated it at first but concerned abut protein deterioration). Thanks to the person who suggested this! I also dilute the && powder shakes-add -double the water--both to ease the nasty taste while I use them up and to get in the extra fluids.

*So am I diluting the protein so much that it doesn't get digested properly?*

Thanks for any clarification, folks.

Edited by saguaro68

saguaro68--all I can say is what my NUTs said: yes, the protein shakes count toward your fluid, but you do not have to separate the shake from other liquid. They also said soup was fine. That being said, I personally follow what my NUTs and doctors say and, while I am interested in what other NUTs and docs say, I only heed the instructions from my team. For example, my surgeon says no caffeine ever again. He's in the minority, but I listen to him, not to others. FWIW, I do a protein shake always for breakfast, and  drink water, crystal lite, tea, etc. right before, during, and after. BUT--if my doc told me not to, I wouldn't. There is not a standard apparently, from pre-op to post-op, so I make it simple for myself and just do what my team says.

Thanks--that helps.

saguaro68--all I can say is what my NUTs said: yes, the protein shakes count toward your fluid, but you do not have to separate the shake from other liquid. They also said soup was fine. That being said, I personally follow what my NUTs and doctors say and, while I am interested in what other NUTs and docs say, I only heed the instructions from my team. For example, my surgeon says no caffeine ever again. He's in the minority, but I listen to him, not to others. FWIW, I do a protein shake always for breakfast, and  drink water, crystal lite, tea, etc. right before, during, and after. BUT--if my doc told me not to, I wouldn't. There is not a standard apparently, from pre-op to post-op, so I make it simple for myself and just do what my team says.

I totally agree with this post.  Superb response.

Sometimes we get too much information, and that information is not always complete when it is second hand.  And sometimes we over-think situaitons and advice.  I followed my nutritionist's and surgeon's instruction to the letter.  I didn't want to re-invent the wheel!

Very good questions, though, and I'm glad they were posted here.

Thanks again to both of you. (I DO tend to overthink & get all wrought..). So very very glad to have all you wonderful experts--who've achieved long-term successful weight loss & healthy maintenance--to consult!

*Again: how is it that THESE LIQUID PROTEINS don't get flushed through too?*

2. In the morning, I mix my wonderful-but-too-sweet vanilla Premier Protein shake with 2 cups tea and a pinch of chai spices,for 32 oz liquid & 30g protein. YUM! I sip on it for a couple of hours (heated it at first but concerned abut protein deterioration). Thanks to the person who suggested this! I also dilute the && powder shakes-add -double the water--both to ease the nasty taste while I use them up and to get in the extra fluids.

*So am I diluting the protein so much that it doesn't get digested properly?*

Thanks for any clarification, folks.

Pre-op sleeve here. My understanding is that the reason for not drinking with/immediately after meals isn't so the proteins have a chance to absorb in the sleeve (most digestion takes place in the small intestine, anyway). Rather, it is so that the foods aren't pushed out too quickly, leaving you hungry soon after finishing your meal. Since I've yet to have my surgery, I'm not sure how this relates to protein shakes, at least regarding how long you remain "full/satisfied". But, regardless of how long the food sits in your sleeve, it's still going to be digested once it gets into the small intestine. That said, it seems like what you're doing with your shakes is fine (and sounds like a good way to mask the taste of the shake!)

Thank you, Kel! smile.gif

There are some things in life over which we have no control. During the honeymoon period is a wonderful time to gain control over food.

Understand, I am not perfect. I don't want to assert that at all. But even in my eating imperfections, going back to that baseline pattern of eating, established on the honeymoon period, is what has made this journey what it is for me.

I totally see how important it is to establish that "baseline" to go back to in all the rest of the years of my life. This is something I will take to heart as I begin my journey.

**Thank you! I never thought to add more water to the shakes! I will give it a try!

Thank you Claire!!! I am strapped in for the life long ride!!!!

Cucumber slices = crackers

greek yogurt can sub for cream cheese (learned this last night in a recipe) added a sprinkle of Truvia

100 calorie bags of cracker crisps, Oreo flavor = Oreos

egg bread = bread

Riced cauliflower = rice

mashed cauliflower = mashed potatoes 

2 eggs, 1 banana = pancake batter

HC, add 1/8 tsp of xanthan gum to your banana pancake batter and you'll be surprised what a difference it makes.  Sprinkle it in slowly as you're mixing the batter.  I like to use a blender and while it's still whirling, remove the top and sprinkle the xanthan gum in.  

HC, add 1/8 tsp of xanthan gum to your banana pancake batter and you'll be surprised what a difference it makes.  Sprinkle it in slowly as you're mixing the batter.  I like to use a blender and while it's still whirling, remove the top and sprinkle the xanthan gum in.  

See the entire details above....

I love this!!!  Thank you for such a valuable contribution!!! 

I just noticed that there is a message for me on this forum that was sent to me in February!  How dreadful that I just saw it!  If you would like to have a conversation with me, email me at clairepeters@sbcglobal.net.  I would love to hear from you!

Just to show you that I am imperfect, I see that I have gained 4 lbs.  Good to know.  Now I go back to my original baseline of eating.  It's a relief to have one (established during the honeymoon period).

Claire

I found this online:  (sorry, I didn't take note of the author or the site)

Pizza with Cauliflower Pizza Crust

This cheesy cauliflower pizza crust is - dare we say it - even better than bread.

Ingredients

• 1 cup riced cauliflower
  • 3 cups mozzarella, divided
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
  • 1 egg
  • olive oil
  • olives
  • artichokes
  • sun-dried tomatoes

Preparation

Pulse one head of chopped cauliflower into chunks in a food processor until it looks like grain.  Microwave the cauliflower for 8 minutes.

In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup riced cauliflower, 1-1/2 cups mozzarella, oregano, garlic salt, garlic, and egg.  Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.  Pat mixture out into a 9-inch circle.  Brush with olive oil.  Bake the crust at 450 deg for 15 minutes.

Top the pizza with 1-1/2 cups mozzarella, olives, artichokes, and sun-dried tomatoes.  Broil 3-4 minutes or until cheese melts.

I think the toppings are optional!

Edited by Ms_Julie_T

One note on the Cauliflower Pizza Crust….  BTW… my whole family loves this!

After you microwave the cauliflower, let it cool then dump it into a dry dishcloth and squeeze, squeeze, squeeze as much liquid from the cauliflower as you can.  This helps with the crispiness of the crust.  Too much water and the crust will be limp.  You will be AMAZED about how much liquid comes from the cooked cauliflower.  As Ms.Julie said, you can top it with anything.  

Thank you, Kel! smile.gif

There are some things in life over which we have no control. During the honeymoon period is a wonderful time to gain control over food. Once it is over, it's over, and I'm here to tell you that if it weren't for my own honeymoon, and how I spent it, I would not feel in control of my food intake.

Understand, I am not perfect. I don't want to assert that at all. But even in my eating imperfections, going back to that baseline pattern of eating, established on the honeymoon period, is what has made this journey what it is for me.

I am new to the forum. What's a honeymoon period?

I am new to the forum. What's a honeymoon period?

Hello, Chris, and welcome to the forum!  I hope you find it to be another tool in your tool box as you travel your weight loss journey.

To answer your question, the Honeymoon  Period is the 6 to 12 months period immediately following weight loss surgery (regardless of which procedure you had).  It is the time to change and build your new eating and lifestyle habits.  This is the 23 page of this thread, and I encourage you to go back to the very first page, and my first post, which explains my spin  on it after many years post op.

Congratulations and best wishes as you travel this journey without destination.  There is no destination, really, because getting the weight off is just the beginning.  Keeping it off is the journey I refer to.  This is the perfect time for you to embrace the journey, and I encourage you to read the posts throughout this thread in the hope it will help to guide you.

Best regards,

Claire

Thanks so much, Claire,

I did read some of the earlier posts and I sure will read everything. It's all very helpful!

Christie.

Thank-you

Thank-you

Mike, you can do this!  I had gastric bypass, too!  Your food intake will be drastically restricted, and you will have that wonderful opportunity to start totally new habits.  You will be like a baby going from formula on to regular food.  It's the same process.  The key to ultimate success on this journey-without-destination is to utilize this period, the honeymoon period. to form different and better habits.  Then, when normal type hunger kicks in, and it will, you will be able to just continue what you have been doing.  That is the key to keeping the weight off. 

Please let us know your progress, and the best of luck on this wonderful journey!

Best,

Claire

Thank you so much for this thread, and all the comments from others -- I'm feeling much more prepared and resolute as I prepare for my surgery (a week from today!!)

Thank you so much for this thread, and all the comments from others -- I'm feeling much more prepared and resolute as I prepare for my surgery (a week from today!!)

You are very welcome, and I'm so glad this thread is a tool for you!  I wish you the very best as you begin new habits that will become regular habits and evolve to a more enjoyable lifestyle.

I have to add something here of my own journey. 

I thought my clothes were a bit tight, and I got on the scale (which I seldom do), and YIKES, I saw that I had gained 7 lbs.  I realized that I was just eating too much of the right things - no junk, just portions, obviously that were too big!  I knew exactly what I had to do.  I reverted back to the basics, and those 7 lbs were gone in 3 days, plus a half pound.  It's an education in eating.  And as I have said many times, here and elsewhere, I have never felt deprived. 

Best,

Claire

You are very welcome, and I'm so glad this thread is a tool for you!  I wish you the very best as you begin new habits that will become regular habits and evolve to a more enjoyable lifestyle.

I have to add something here of my own journey. 

I thought my clothes were a bit tight, and I got on the scale (which I seldom do), and YIKES, I saw that I had gained 7 lbs.  I realized that I was just eating too much of the right things - no junk, just portions, obviously that were too big!  I knew exactly what I had to do.  I reverted back to the basics, and those 7 lbs were gone in 3 days, plus a half pound.  It's an education in eating.  And as I have said many times, here and elsewhere, I have never felt deprived. 

Best,

Claire

This information is so helpful!!!!

I want to start off right and be strong!! Your tips are so valuable to me. Thanks for sharing

This information is so helpful!!!!

I want to start off right and be strong!! Your tips are so valuable to me. Thanks for sharing

You are so very welcome!!! 

You will never DIET again.  You are changing your eating lifestyle.  It's life-changing!

Best,

Claire

Thank you Claire, I just read the first post and have been really thinking about this hard. I am 2 months post op and have just gotten an exercise routine that seems to be working and have been wanting things pre op I didn't want. I feel like Sybil because everyday I am arguing with this heifer who has been wanting this healthy body for more than 22 years and now that I have been given this tool I have to fight myself and say NO! It was the, "you only live once" sayings and the, "its okay to give in just this once" thoughts that has sabotaged all my past attempts at this and now that I am doing something that is working I refuse to let Sybil and her crew sabotage this weight loss journey. I take my journey one meal at a time. I mess up sometimes but not as often as I used to. So, thank you Claire for confirming what I initially believed and that is to take advantage of the Honeymoon stage by strictly sticking to the plan.

Thank you Claire, I just read the first post and have been really thinking about this hard. I am 2 months post op and have just gotten an exercise routine that seems to be working and have been wanting things pre op I didn't want. I feel like Sybil because everyday I am arguing with this heifer who has been wanting this healthy body for more than 22 years and now that I have been given this tool I have to fight myself and say NO! It was the, "you only live once" sayings and the, "its okay to give in just this once" thoughts that has sabotaged all my past attempts at this and now that I am doing something that is working I refuse to let Sybil and her crew sabotage this weight loss journey. I take my journey one meal at a time. I mess up sometimes but not as often as I used to. So, thank you Claire for confirming what I initially believed and that is to take advantage of the Honeymoon stage by strictly sticking to the plan.

Thank you for your kind words, Jo.

In my opinion, giving yourself permission to go off the plan, even a little bit, at your stage, is failure waiitng to happen.  Yes, I truly believe that.  The stricter you are with what you eat, the stronger your good eating habits will be, and that is GOLD for your permanent success. Keep in mind that losing weight is the "easy" part.  Keeping it off is a whole different ball game, and much harder.  It is the HABIT that makes for a successful journey.

Look for substitutes of food that you love.  I love frozen yogurt, low calorie, protein enriched.  Yummy.  That's my go-to treat, and it is common for me to go to it more than once a day.  Just an example.  My own yardstick is calorie counting, and I know by heart the number of calories in the items I eat - combined with the nutritional/protein value.  My habits changed 8 years ago - now there are tons of new items on shelves that are wonderful substitutes.

Best of luck on this fabulous journey!

Claire

Thank you so much for sharing! Im almost 2 months in my new life, and boy - it has been rough! I had dark times, feeling sorry for myself and all the food I could never eat again, feeling it wasnt worth it and just wanted to go back to my old life. 

BUT NOW!! I have never felt better (even though I still have nausea sometimes and some other small issues) - but Im getting comfortable with my body and the way it works now. I made a very conscious decision to NOT feel sorry for my self, and look at all the things I can do from now on - and stop thinking about the food.

Honestly - I dont miss eating chocolates, sweets etc. Im eating according to plan, and for every bite I think of how much good Im doing for myself.

I couldnt care less when people are eating cakes etc. in front of me - actually I encourage them, because it only re-confirms me of how well im treating myself now!

And the weight is just coming off - since the 30/6 I have lost 17 kilos. It is a very incredible journey and I love myself for doing this.