My Dr. Doesn't Emphasize Protein?

ridgetop01

So, I asked the physician's assistant a lot of questions yesterday, based on info I have gotten here, and received some surprising/puzzling answers. My doctor doesn't recommend more than 40 grams of protein per day - they just don't think we need it!! I thought that we needed 60-90 grams, based on what others are saying, because we need it to keep/build muscle, but they say that our diets as humans just don't need to be so high-protein. They also don't allow protein drinks after the first two weeks post-op.

Should I be worried? I did order Unjury chicken broth and unflavored protein and plan on using them to supplement past the first few weeks - doctor's reasoning is protein drinks have too many calories, but those shouldn't have many as long as I'm careful. Should I just go ahead and aim for higher protein count ongoing?

Thanks for your informed thoughts on this matter.

My plan also doesn't revolve around huge amounts of protein, but rather a balanced diet with the emphasis on protein and veg first. If you had a protein drink, it would be considered a meal replacement. I hate all protein drinks anyway so lucky for me! ;) All plans are different and I'm sure all carefully researched so I wouldn't be worried as long as your getting enough good calories in. Have they a written plan they can give you for the different stages are you go along on your journey?

My plan also doesn't revolve around huge amounts of protein, but rather a balanced diet with the emphasis on protein and veg first. If you had a protein drink, it would be considered a meal replacement. I hate all protein drinks anyway so lucky for me! ;) All plans are different and I'm sure all carefully researched so I wouldn't be worried as long as your getting enough good calories in. Have they a written plan they can give you for the different stages are you go along on your journey?

Thank you so much for sharing your experience - it's reassuring to know that my doctor's practice isn't alone on this. They do give us a week-by-week food choice menu, so I should be able to pick things successfully. Thanks again.

My plan also doesn't emphasise protein at very high levels, and doesn't use protein drinks at all. All protein should come from food, and there is no minimum amount of protein per day -- it's focused on an overall balanced diet.

My doctor, also, doesn't want us using protein drinks. Said the calories for the amount of protein that you actually absorb makes it not worth it. He wants you to get your protein from food only. Plus, he isn't as concerned about it being a high level. He said get as much as you can and focus on protein first then veggies. So that is what I do. He also said the protein can slow down the weight loss. At first, I was very concerned considering on the boards most people drink protein drinks. But so far I am just sticking with what my Doctor said and it is working. Lost 40lbs in 6 weeks.

My doctor says protein drinks are fine, that you actually absorb more of that than you get from food, because the protein is already pre-digested. I guess meaning it's broken down for the shakes so that it absorbs better?? That said, they only recommend 100% whey protein isolate.

Also, his guidelines is 60 grams of protein every day. I'm usually getting a little more than that. I figure with the malabsorption issues we GBS'ers have, then more is better.

That said, I don't rely on protein drinks to get my protein like I was early out. But it was soooooo hard to eat much at all, that to get the protein requirements, I had to supplement!!

I'm 2 weeks post op and just got moved up to full liquids. I asked my dr if I needed to be doing protein shakes and he said he doesn't worry about it at this point. Just to focus on healing.

I just had an appointment with my surgeon a week ago and he told me for the first year I neeeded to have 80-100 grams of protien. After the first year I dont have to depend on protein as much. Doctors recommendations are all so different so just follow your dr. recomendations and you will be just fine.

Good luck!

My doctor told me that 50 grams of protein a day is fine. I am close to two years out and my intial goal was 150 lbs but I am now 123 lbs. I never had a stall, lost every single week till I landed at 123. They also told me that I did not need 64 ozs of liquids a day because I was 123 lbs that getting less was fine.

• 4 years later...

My doctor, also, doesn't want us using protein drinks. Said the calories for the amount of protein that you actually absorb makes it not worth it. He wants you to get your protein from food only. Plus, he isn't as concerned about it being a high level. He said get as much as you can and focus on protein first then veggies. So that is what I do. He also said the protein can slow down the weight loss. At first, I was very concerned considering on the boards most people drink protein drinks. But so far I am just sticking with what my Doctor said and it is working. Lost 40lbs in 6 weeks.

I used Dr. Weiner's "A Pound of Cure" diet which emphasizes vegetables, nuts, seeds and fruit first with protein secondary.  He also doesn't see the need for very high amounts of protein after wls.  When I followed his diet about 2 years ago, I lost around 40 pounds in a month too and my cravings went away.  I didn't stay on it because I had very low energy and slept a lot but that was because I never graduated to the 2nd station in the lifestyle change that introduced more complex carbs.  I'm really looking forward to doing his diet again after my VSG in 3 days.

High protein, moderate fat, low carb

or

High fat, moderate protein, low carb

have the same common theme:    low carb as the key to success

I've always maintained a balanced diet including all food groups.  But since our only choices are protein, fat and carbs, I'll take them in that order.  Getting 60-80g protein and 64-100oz fluids every day has worked for me, so not gonna fix what's not broken.  But I've always said there is no one "right" way to be successful with WLS.  This not only includes the weightloss itself, but overall whole body health as well.  So If you find a plan that works for you then excellent, stick with it! 

• 5 years later...
On 11/11/2011 at 8:49 AM, ridgetop01 said:

So, I asked the physician's assistant a lot of questions yesterday, based on info I have gotten here, and received some surprising/puzzling answers. My doctor doesn't recommend more than 40 grams of protein per day - they just don't think we need it!! I thought that we needed 60-90 grams, based on what others are saying, because we need it to keep/build muscle, but they say that our diets as humans just don't need to be so high-protein. They also don't allow protein drinks after the first two weeks post-op.

Should I be worried? I did order Unjury chicken broth and unflavored protein and plan on using them to supplement past the first few weeks - doctor's reasoning is protein drinks have too many calories, but those shouldn't have many as long as I'm careful. Should I just go ahead and aim for higher protein count ongoing?

Thanks for your informed thoughts on this matter.

I just saw this. I'm curious, did you use this doctor that didn't think we need all the protein every doctor I've ever heard speak knows is important? If so, did you follow this plan? If so, how are you doing? I'm looking at a sleeve to RNY revision. I'm trying to educate myself on how this surgery will change how I do things. Thank you! I hope you see this! :)

On 1/2/2016 at 3:05 PM, la.craig said:

I used Dr. Weiner's "A Pound of Cure" diet which emphasizes vegetables, nuts, seeds and fruit first with protein secondary.  He also doesn't see the need for very high amounts of protein after wls.  When I followed his diet about 2 years ago, I lost around 40 pounds in a month too and my cravings went away.  I didn't stay on it because I had very low energy and slept a lot but that was because I never graduated to the 2nd station in the lifestyle change that introduced more complex carbs.  I'm really looking forward to doing his diet again after my VSG in 3 days.

This is strictly a 'doctor' question. How did you like Dr. Ayoola? I'm looking at a sleeve to RNY revision due to severe reflux and hiatal hernia. I have a 'second opinion' scheduled with Dr. Ayoola in August. I have a friend who really, really likes him. He did her sleeve to DS revision a couple of years ago. I hope you're doing well.

In response to Stratusphr, I did use the doctor that deemphasized protein after the first month or so. This doctor did recommend emphasis on protein/vegetables, with only a very small amount of carbs. I am now at almost 10 years out, and I am doing well. I stay within 8-12 pounds above my lowest weight. I do eat a lot of animal protein, because the few times I tried vegetarian meals that contained carbs like beans and rice I found my blood sugar tanked extremely low - dumping syndrome, according to the doctor. I feel good, the only real issue I have is that I have osteopenia, even though I'm very careful about my calcium and vitamins. Hoping for the best on that. Good luck with your revision!!!!