CrazyCatLady

Post Ops

Hey guys,

Thought I would Start a Post-Op thread, so we can make it easier to find and read the after surgery stuff. Hope ya'll don't mind.

Okay so here goes:

3 Days Post-Op:

Last night I was in a little bit of pain so I took the pain meds prescribed to have at home pre-surgery, mine is Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen. It helped me to finally sleep. I did not want to take anything cause I am stubborn. But I am so glad I took it. I got a good night's sleep. I been doing well with my liquids today, been sipping water all day. It is my first day to see if I can make all 64oz. I wanted to ask... does the broth you take count towards the 64oz intake? and how much liquid do the sugar-free popsicles count as?

<3 Clory

Post-op day #4 still learning how to sip liquids. Still very sore on my left side can't sleep very well in the bed but it only my second day home. Did not not get all my vitiams or 64 ozs. Sorry. I'm on my phone will come back.

I'm post op day 2, still in hospital for tomorrow and most likely get out monday.

Not sleeping well, but today I'm moving better and in less pain - last night I had some intense pain come out of nowhere and they had to give me morphine. Today I've been on barely any meds at all cos it's been fine.

I wanna go hoooome. :)

I am 3 days post op and I am having major issues getting all my protein, liquids and vitamins and stuff in. I feel like I am sipping all day long and not making progress. Yesterday It took me almost 10 hours for me to sip 20ozs of water. I only was able to get in protein shakes made from 1 scoop of syntrax nectar, and only got in 1 calcium chew. The multivitamin is really hard to take because even though it is chewable, it has a nasty taste. So far today I have half of my vitamin taken, and one of my calcium chews. I have not been able to finish my 8 oz protein shake yet. I feel so full all the time and I still have major gas pains so it is really hard to even think about getting all the right stuff done.

I know exactly how you feel. My surgery was on the 1st and I am still having problems. I dont even get in 1/2 my protein and It takes all day to drink a bottle of water I used to be able to finish in 5 minutes. I don't even think about food during the day so I forget to eat. I'm not even hungry! I KNOW I need to get in my vitamins and protein but it seems like everyday around 5pm I realize how behind I am and then it's too late to catch up. I'm thinking I should set alarms on my phone while I try and get a routine down.

5 Days PostOp - Thanks so much for posting and sharing guys. It makes me feel so relieved to read we are all going through about the same.

So far I am able to get in: about 35oz of water, all my vitamins, and 27g of protein. Like you guys I am just not hungry ever. Sipping all day long gives me that feeling of being full all day and it makes me queasy. The protein powder I got becomes too creamy if I mix it in the blender and it is hard to drink. I am going to try to hand mix and use water instead of Fatfree milk to see if it gets less creamy.

I get that pain on my left side too, like under my ribcage. After a while it is gone I am thinking it is air pockets or something. Still gassy also and feel bloated if that makes sense. Just overall full all day icky feeling. lol I will continue to try to put more protein and water in, but man oh man it's hard!

Hi, I am day 7 post op today and everyday is getting a little easier, still finding it hard to get in enough water and the multivitamins are a foul taste. I also have pain on my left side from under my ribs to half way down my abdomen, my surgeon told me this is the internal pain from the procedure itself. I am looking forward to weighing in tomorrow, finding the purée hard to figure out what I should have, I have a lean protein powder that is called WPI and it is sooooo good easy to get down, takes a while but it's got 28g protein in 1scoop mixed with 250ml water so have been having 1 of those a day to help with the protein tally, also low fat ricotta.

Hope you are all healing well and look forward to hearing the progress. Take care

Hi, I am day 7 post op today and everyday is getting a little easier, still finding it hard to get in enough water and the multivitamins are a foul taste. I also have pain on my left side from under my ribs to half way down my abdomen, my surgeon told me this is the internal pain from the procedure itself. I am looking forward to weighing in tomorrow, finding the purée hard to figure out what I should have, I have a lean protein powder that is called WPI and it is sooooo good easy to get down, takes a while but it's got 28g protein in 1scoop mixed with 250ml water so have been having 1 of those a day to help with the protein tally, also low fat ricotta.

Hope you are all healing well and look forward to hearing the progress. Take care

Hi Gemp,

I'm having my surgery on the 29th and am starting to get my stuff organized. What is the brand you are using of WPI? Is it called "Pure WPI" by Bioplex?

I'm glad to hear that you're doing well...Hang in there :cool: and take care......

4 nights in hospital and I'm going home from today!

They haven't been giving me any vitamins, or making sure I eat protein etc...is that weird? The only way I know how important it is, is by being here on the forum. I'm definitely going to be careful and do my bestest to get vitamins and protein in when I get home.

Is anyone else finding they burp a lot when having clear liquids? The nurse says it's normal. Every time I have my meds I burp. How about you?

Hi, it was the same for me in hospital no multi vitamins and the only protein was whatever was in the broth, I have been trying to focus on these things since coming home, so far so good. Burping is normal.

Ascend sport WPI powder is the one I have and it is the leanest on the market I love it.

I'm on my 4th day post-op, 1st full day home. I'm feeling quite good generally - gas is the biggest issue, everything gives me gas. My surgeon said we tend to swallow air and need to try to avoid it, I wish I knew how. Gas-X is my new best friend. I'm doing good with fluids, got 36 oz yesterday, already at 44 today and it's early. The protein shake tasted good too. Broth is my other best friend - I bought broth-y soups and am straining out solids and drinking the broth. I feel bad wasting the solids, am trying to find some way to feed them to my hubby! ;-). Slept well last night too, on my sides, first night in my own bed was wonderful. Not too sore in the abdomen so far. I know things can change quickly, but it's so-far-so-good with me.

I hope everyone out there is improving daily.

Judy

How is everyone feeling?

I'm doing really well, but I haven't been trying to take any vitamins or tablets for several days - it's always so difficult. Since I'm feeling good, that's my challenge for now.

I'm losing weight on the scale, but my clothes aren't getting any looser that I've noticed. Hmm.

I've had 2 different types of dumping - stomach aches and diahrea, Though I don't know why I had the diahrea cos all I had was about 30g of chicken mince with 98.5% fat free chicken gravy. It was worth MAYBE 100 calories.

I had some sugar free jelly before that - do you think maybe I'm not tolerating artificial sweeteners very well?

Wow. Lots of progress on all fronts.

My surgery was Thursday so I'm two days out today. Of course its 3 am.

I'm home. Only sleeping an hour at a time. No protein on our kaiser plan. Can barely take in any water, tea, one ounce broth, one ounce jello.

Cannot take liquid vicodin. Can I take something else? How about heating pad or ice pads?

Struggling

Christy

My liquid pain med was Tylenol with Codeine. It works a lot better for me then the vicodin because Vicodin makes me itch.

I am 10 days out and I am doing pretty good I guess. I have a heck of a time with trying to get rid of the gas. I have not been able to burp real well or even pass gas. My foods are going well so far. The only issue I had so far was trying to eat an egg with cheese on it. Gave me a major stomach ache and gas pains.

My liquid pain med was Tylenol with Codeine. It works a lot better for me then the vicodin because Vicodin makes me itch.

I am 10 days out and I am doing pretty good I guess. I have a heck of a time with trying to get rid of the gas. I have not been able to burp real well or even pass gas. My foods are going well so far. The only issue I had so far was trying to eat an egg with cheese on it. Gave me a major stomach ache and gas pains.

So weird, isn't it? I can handle an egg with cheese (scrambled) just fine, but chicken mince with gravy? On the toilet for an hour. Wonder why we all react so differently.

How is everyone feeling?

I'm doing really well, but I haven't been trying to take any vitamins or tablets for several days - it's always so difficult. Since I'm feeling good, that's my challenge for now.

I'm losing weight on the scale, but my clothes aren't getting any looser that I've noticed. Hmm.

I've had 2 different types of dumping - stomach aches and diahrea, Though I don't know why I had the diahrea cos all I had was about 30g of chicken mince with 98.5% fat free chicken gravy. It was worth MAYBE 100 calories.

I had some sugar free jelly before that - do you think maybe I'm not tolerating artificial sweeteners very well?

It might help to keep track of what you eat when, and when you "dump" - maybe you could figure out what's causing it. I get diarrhea from some kinds of sweeteners, always have - did you drink a lot of them before surgery, or are they fairly new to you?

I hope you feel better soon.

Wow. Lots of progress on all fronts.

My surgery was Thursday so I'm two days out today. Of course its 3 am.

I'm home. Only sleeping an hour at a time. No protein on our kaiser plan. Can barely take in any water, tea, one ounce broth, one ounce jello.

Cannot take liquid vicodin. Can I take something else? How about heating pad or ice pads?

Struggling

Christy

Call your doctor and ask about an alternative to the liquid vicodin. I do pretty good with pills, I take them one at a time, 15 minutes apart. So, I take Tylenol, and Tramadol, which I have for severe arthritis. Warm herb tea is very soothing for me - I can sip at a cup of it and get 12 oz of fluid in over an hour or so, tiny sip by tiny sip. Keep working at those fluids, you will dehydrate if you don't keep them up. I hope you feel better soon!!

I'm 5 days out today. I'm feeling quite good so far, generally. Lots of gas, that's the biggie - Gas-X, walking, tiny sips are what I do, but as someone else said, I'm burping/tooting like mad, more of the former. I felt good enough to go with my husband to Walmart and another store, I used a scooter at Walmart and sat a lot of the time at the store, felt ok, came home and did some dishes up (20 minutes), then sat down to watch a movie, spilled something and got all "weepy". That's a big sign for me that I'm weak and overdoing it, so now I'm trying to take it easy for the rest of the day. Incisions are a bit sore but not bad. I count myself lucky so far, and hope it continues and that you all feel well too.

Hugs to one and all!

It might help to keep track of what you eat when, and when you "dump" - maybe you could figure out what's causing it. I get diarrhea from some kinds of sweeteners, always have - did you drink a lot of them before surgery, or are they fairly new to you?

I hope you feel better soon.

Oh believe me - I'm keeping track of everything I'm eating. MyFitnessPal is a godsend. When I had the lap band I had no clue what I was doing. No wonder I gained it all back. Anyway, sweeteners are a pretty new thing to me, so that could very well be it. Though I had some splenda on a weetbix and that was fine. Ah this new intestinal system. Nice getting to know you.

Day 12 - Feeling really good, just about back to normal. Foodwise I started pureed food. Having a bit of trouble when I swallow, it hurts at the top of the tummy. Protein wise I'm doing great. I drink my 2 protein shakes to equal 64g of protein without a problem. The ones I have are Bariatric Fusion French Vanilla, I mix with Fat-Free milk and decaf coffee and a lil bit of sugar-free French Vanilla creamer for extra flavor, plus ice. Instant ice coffee. Yum! Doing all my vitamins ok too. I got the Celebrate chewables, different flavors so not so bad. Water is up to about 50oz a day not yet the full 64oz but I'm getting there. I do get hungry now, but after just a bit of food I am fine. Have been trying different things to see what I tolerate. So far scrambled eggs were hard for me. Might try eggsalad tomorrow. Beans were awesome. I had been a bit constipated and the beans did the trick and they were sooo good. lol

I was stuck at 365 for about 3 days and yesterday the scale finally moved. I felt very depressed. Started wondering if the surgery wasnt working for me. I felt like maybe I was doing something wrong or my pouch was messed up. Lucky for us we got forums. Turns out alot of people dont even lose any weight 2-3 weeks post-op. And here I was getting all depressed when I had lost 10 pounds in like 8 days. The feelings were prolly just hormonal I guess. From here on gonna try to be more patient and not so critical with myself. :(

Clory

Clory- Good job getting all your protein in! I am still struggling with that. I think I am going to have to try shakes again. :/ Also, the beans did the trick for me too. lol! I haven't lost any weight in the past week and it's so reassuring to know I'm not the only one struggling. Hopefully I will see a loss this week.

I just saw this post , I'm 12 days post -op , managing about 1 1/2 protein shakes per day, having to take my sons multivits(gummies) as I still can't tolerate the chalky multivit :unsure: or the calci chews!! (I heard Walmart have some I will investigate this week) I welcome any advice!!

No pain meds since last week Weds :D Soups are fine, had some chilli with just beans no meat and that was sooo good, I also can eat mini saltines(just been craving them but not sure I should be eating them) :blink:

Apart from nausea ++ the first week and I haven't had a BM for 5 days now, I am so pleased with the surgery :D

??? What do you all take for constipation ???? or is 5 days normal????

11 days post op and I am doing ok I think. Having a lot of issues with passing gas and constipation in general. I have had to take Colace because I feel horrible and bloated if I can not go within a day or two. I always had no problems before surgery. Food wise I am doing well. Had a few problems with foods causing gas bloat but for the most part I have been able to get all my pills in and I have been able to drink more and more water.

Great ideas. Thanks. I have been walking , well pacing really, and it does work. Tried a heating pad tonight on my lower back which helped a lot with me period. Who else got their period day two home from hospital??? Grr!

Tylenol with codeine!! Of course!!!

Hey Guys... for those of you having trouble with constipation. It is normal! My guess it's the iron pills and vitamins making us that way. I skipped one day of Iron I figured it won't kill me, drank as much water as I could and ate some beans for the fiber and Wala! BM... So maybe ya guys can try that. I always had problems with constipation pre-surgery so I thought oh it's just me but as I read on these and other forums... constipation and Gastric Bypass are very common together. Seems we each will just have to find our own lil remedy that works for us. Like Colace, Benefiber and such. I used to drink Metamucil once a week to keep me regular so I will ask my Nutritionist on Wed. if it is ok to take that and overall ask him what we can take for the dreaded constipation and gas. Hope this helps some of you all.

<3 Clory