Blood Work Back: Low Protein Levels

carolanne

I'm 10 months out. I knew I had been slacking off on following the rules to the letter. I was still losing though, so it was hard to force myself back on track. I was getting tired and am soooo cold. I chalked it up to the change of seasons, lack of sunlight and having lost all my insulation. I did wonder if my thyroid meds might need to be adjusted. I feel so much better than I did a year ago and CAN power through now when I need to do something, so I wasn't too worried. I have fibromyalgia, so I thought maybe the colder weather was wreaking havoc on that.

Went to my endocrinologist this week. She said my protein levels are really low. She had not tested iron and vitamin B12, but after hearing my symptoms, she sent me right away to get those tests done. I should have those results soon. She also had me increase my thyroid dose slightly.

I hope I haven't done too much damage and hope getting back on track will make me feel better. Anyone have this happen? How long did it take to start having more energy?

I have an appointment with the metabolic doc coming up in a month or two. He is board certified in internal med. and nutrition, works closely with my surgeon and has tons of experience with gastric bypass patients. I hope I can get my numbers up before I see him again.

So, steps I am taking:

I'm back to logging my food on myfitnesspal.com I have gotten my protein above 75 grams for the last 2 days. I know many of you have more than that, but this is pretty good for me and I will work at increasing it.

I discovered a way that I like greek yogurt so, I will be having that more.

I have talked to my kids to explain that I will be cooking more healthy high protein meals that are good for all of us. I asked for their cooperation in at least trying what I make and helping me make sure I get back on track.

I had dh hide the Halloween candy where none of us know where it is (Our town postponed trick or treating for a week because of the horrible storm we had).

I'm logging my water again.

I joined a gym and hope to get there this weekend. If I can't, I have an appointment scheduled on my calendar for first thing Monday Morning after I drop all the kids at school. I have allowed my kids' and my illness to delay my exercise. NO MORE. I have to find a way to get movement in no matter what. (In my defense, the gym has been without power for most of this week).

Any ideas on how to get yummy, fast on the go high protein foods in very welcome.

Thanks!

Beef jerky has been a major help for me...... 1 oz has 14 grams of protein !!! Also when you make dinner, make a little extra so you can have the protein leftovers for your lunch.... aka chicken....? that way you can just have protein....maybe make chicken salad even and just eat that, no bread........also one of my afternoon snacks, if you want to call it that is still a protein shake..........I gave up on finding one I liked for a long time, and stuck with PROJOE....its a protein drink that tastes like iced mocha coffee.....120 calories with 20 grams of protein..... drank that for 6+ months, then found a protein powder, mochachino flavor I like.....over ice....yum..

Stick with all your vitamins too big time!!! Make them a priority..... make sure you taking sublingual B12, its the only kind we can absorb.... and your calcium, do not take it within 2 hours of your iron pills, it prevents absorbtion..........also make sure your multi vitamin is a Baritric kind, they really are the only ones that give up enough of what we need....over the counter stuff just doesnt cut it.......not even close.

Good luck !

I am newly converted to Quest protein bars, they are delish!!! I believe I may become an addict...

I'm sorry to hear about the low protein levels, I wonder how that happens? I have never had a TON of protein since surgery, mostly due to not having shakes or drinks. My levels all just came back really good, though. I'm sorry to hear about the low energy and all that. I hope you can get back to feeling really good again soon.

Oh, my other two favorite protein sources (aside from jerky, already mentioned) are chicken in any form (yum) and eggs, particularly egg whites.

Best wishes for getting your mojo running at 100% again. :)

Thanks!

I'm happy to say that with the help of myfitness pal, I have gotten my protein back up and my "cheats" under control. Despite a pretty nasty cold, I have actually had more energy today. I would think its too fast for that to happen, but maybe not. Or maybe its getting rid of the processed junk I had been allowing myself. Unfortunately, I have a hard time with the protein staples that some people rely on day in and day out. Chicken and eggs are hit or miss and I can almost never do left over chicken. Its chili season again so thats good. My boys like it, so I make a big batch every week or two and then have it in the fridge for lunches. I'll have to try the jerky again. When I last tried, it was a little to hard to digest, but I will try again. I didn't realize it had that much protein. Do slim jims count?

Heard back from the doc, my iron and b12 are fine. When I felt the cold coming on, I started taking vitamin c. I take it with my iron now and am being more careful to space it away from any calcium source. Hopefully I will get my mojo back soon!

Thanks again for the support. Over all I feel great. Even with the cold I walked to school pushing the stroller to pick up my big boys. I year ago that would have done me in for the rest of the day.

I am newly converted to Quest protein bars, they are delish!!! I believe I may become an addict...

I'm sorry to hear about the low protein levels, I wonder how that happens? I have never had a TON of protein since surgery, mostly due to not having shakes or drinks. My levels all just came back really good, though. I'm sorry to hear about the low energy and all that. I hope you can get back to feeling really good again soon.

Oh, my other two favorite protein sources (aside from jerky, already mentioned) are chicken in any form (yum) and eggs, particularly egg whites.

Best wishes for getting your mojo running at 100% again. :)

Swizzly - I gotta try some Quest bars! I sure do hear a lot about them and they sound yummy! I always have a good protein bar with me for snack, or even a quick dinner on the go if I find myself in need. Does Quest carry the apple pie one that people say is so good when warmed in the microwave?

Carolanne - I'm glad your other tests came back normal. Good luck adding the extra protein. From what I understand it's one of those things that builds up so you need to keep the levels consistently high for those labs to reflect a change. I'm with you on the chili - YUM - and yay for chili season!!! :) I tend to eat the same few things and rotate them around each week, so I don't know if I'd be much help with protein sources. My first though was to go back and look at your NUT's suggestions for post-op when you started on solid foods. Mine gave me an example day with 3 meals and 3 snacks....all of which were broken down into protein content per item to show how to get a certain amount in with only foods throughout the day. I'd be happy to try to find it for you if you want. Thankfully I found a protein shake I really like (it's the same one Eggface uses) so I still enjoy a protein shake almost every morning for breakfast. When made with skim milk it packs a good 32 grams of protein to start the day!

Do slim jims count?

LOL. I love slim jims, but just trust me when I say that you should NEVER look up what they're actually made of. :blink: They have a lot of fat and other crap in them, so they're not ideal. But they do also have protein, just nowhere near as much as beef jerky does. Try some of the more tender types of beef jerky maybe? Just watch the sugar levels in some of them, if you are a dumper. I get the only kind of jerky I can readily get in Europe and it's mostly like gnawing on my old hiking boots, but the protein can't be beat, and I'm not averse to gnawing sometimes -- maybe it releases my inner cavewoman a bit. :P

Even with the cold I walked to school pushing the stroller to pick up my big boys. I year ago that would have done me in for the rest of the day.

See, this is what kills me LOL. We're about the same age, but you are also taking care of three undoubtedly energetic children, which makes me want to have a nap just thinking of the kinds of energy that takes. So kudos to you!!

Swizzly - I gotta try some Quest bars! I sure do hear a lot about them and they sound yummy! I always have a good protein bar with me for snack, or even a quick dinner on the go if I find myself in need. Does Quest carry the apple pie one that people say is so good when warmed in the microwave?

Yes, those are the ones. Only I'm way too impatient to be bothering about the microwave, I just rip 'em open and chomp 'em down. They are just delish and have loads of protein and fiber in them. I have liked all the flavors I've tried so far, only the berry one remains untested by me...

The only way I know of is online. www.questproteinbar.com I haven't found them in any of my local stores yet. I haven't bought any online yet, though, but I hear the apple pie is wonderful! I also really like the ThinkThin bars that are "nutty" because I like nuts so much. They can be bought in some stores or online at www.thinkthinproducts.com

Where can I get Quest Bars? I want to try one or two before ordering a whole pack on line

You can get them on the site Padonie mentioned, which is their homepage, or on Netrition.com. I order from their homepage just coz I didn't know they were on Netrition till today. B) Also, you can order single bars, don't have to order the whole case lot or anything.

ETA: Try variations of 'shippingfree' or 'shipfree' or 'freeship' or 'freeshipping' in the offer code on the last page, sometimes you can get free shipping. Though you might want to save that for when you order several packs at one go. Like I didn't. :D

Edited by swizzly

I just ordered a six flavor pack of 12 from questproteinbar.com, and used "freeshipping" . Total 24.99

I emailed Quest to see if they could try and send my free samples again because I never had received them. They did send them right away and they aren't bad! Very dense so it took awhile and I had to stop towards the end. :D

I emailed Think Thin asking for coupons if they had any and they ended up sending me a full size box of the Mixed Nuts bars, only ones I like.

I would see if you can try a sample too.

Marisa

Carol Anne, Can I ask what your protein intake was before? Or was the issue that you weren't even monitoring? I'm curious because my nuts recommendations and what I work to get in every day are lower than other people's. My initial blood work came back good, but I know some of these things take time to show. So I was just curious.

Also have you tried just adding small low protein snacks to your daily regiment? Like a cheese stick, or a handful of nuts, or peanut butter? Also I find that sometimes the meats are too heavy, and I worry about my protein, so I cook up either edamame or quinoa. For me they aren't heavy at all and I surprise myself how much I can eat- but their light and healthy and you can find a million ways to cook them.