tdskkenn

Too Much Weight Lost?

Hi there. I am 5'9 and weight 240lbs (BMI 35). So I am on the "low end" of being approved for gastric bypass. My biggest fear is that I will lose too much weight. I would not want to go below 160 lbs. Is it possible to lose too much weight after the surgery? Is there a way to prevent this, or does the body just adjust and keep you at the right weight? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Hi there. I am 5'9 and weight 240lbs (BMI 35). So I am on the "low end" of being approved for gastric bypass. My biggest fear is that I will lose too much weight. I would not want to go below 160 lbs. Is it possible to lose too much weight after the surgery? Is there a way to prevent this, or does the body just adjust and keep you at the right weight? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Barring complications it is very uncommon to lose too much weight. On average people lose about 70 - 80 percent of their excess weight at 18 months, then gradually regain a little and keep about 65% off at 5 years, 60% off at 10 years and 50% off at 15 years. You can't just "dial in" a weight. Your body generally knows when to quit. If you are getting lean in the neck and upper chest area, you are probably getting down to your low weight. Occasionally people will look too thin. In that case, one can gain weight by adding in an extra mini meal or using a supplement. Just eating an extra 100 calories a day will cause gradual weight regain. (Good news if you are too thin, bad news otherwise!)