wegot2

Did Anyone's Taste Buds Change After Surgery?

After trying unsuccessfully to give up coffee multiple times, I too found it held absolutely no appeal post surgery. Don't enjoy very sweet things anymore. Water tastes good for the first time ever! Yay!

My surgery date was 11/2013 ... and I still find it continues to change over time.  Many things are not as enjoyable as they were before.  But I can't say I don't like sweets or salty items (my previous weakness prior surgery).  It just narrows what I like, and those things I find I only want a very small 'taste'.  It takes time emotionally to work through this ... it is as if for sometime I was feeling a loss or that I am missing out on something I previously enjoyed.  But in time I have let that go and accept that this is perfectly fine and is better for me all around.  I am so much healthier and it saves money too, that I don't make those impulse purchases like used to.  

The important thing is that you enjoy and are able to eat the healthy foods we need.  I have to be aware of my protein intake.  Sometimes it is not easy for me to reach the amount I need.  I don't have any trouble eating enough fruits and vegetables.  Focus on being mindful and aware has been helpful for me.  

Best wishes!

Lol, it's definitely a good thing you all don't like sugary foods or unhealthy favorite foods and drinks after the surgery. If you had surgery for weight loss, you probably shouldn't even be going back to the way you used to eat..... Eat healthier, stop drinking sodas, quit the junk food, stop the sugars.. Eat in moderation and don't over indulge. That's what got ppl here in the 1st place. Ugh.... But congrats to all those who food change their diet to be healthier! It's amazing what gastric BP can do when you're actually taking care of your body! =D

No change here. I still like sweet, salty and spicy. And still drinking coffee big time.

I can't STAND salmon anymore  and I used to love salmon nigiri or salmon cakes or lox bagel. 

Dietitian says in a few months I might like salmon again :(.

Flip side I used to HATE sardines and now lol I like them (but if they're in hot sauce or mustard only).

Edited by TheJuice202