ARN2

Any Nurses Out There?

I'm a nurse planning to go back to my job on a very physically demanding floor. I just fear not getting breaks and/or getting my fluids. Not to mention possible dumping! Any good advice to mentally prep me for returning to work?

Im in the same situation. My surgeon is not releasing me till after six weeks out for the weight lifting part. I plan on keeping water with me at all times and hopefully I will be able to steal enough time to eat slowly (I may be hiding in the rest room to do this : ) ). It is sad that we often do not have the time to take our breaks or eat properly. Wishing you the best of luck!

Nurse here but gladly after 25 years, I finally have one of those "office" jobs. Talk with your manager/charge nurse about the need to hydrate, have breaks, etc. IF you've shared your surgery with folks at work.

Good luck!

Nancy

I suffer with dehydration at work....with so much to do, it's hard to get enough fluid in. We hardly get breaks and lunches....more like eat and drink on the fly....I eat very little at work..mostly protein drinks and granola bars. Any more food than that and I get sleepy.

I am not a nurse, but and Occupational Therapist which can be physically demanding. I dont think there has been a day in the last 2 months that I have gotten my breaks, or more than a 10 minute lunch. It does make it very hard to stay on track and get what you need. Pretty much having protein bars, almonds, string cheese and little items is about all I can get down before I need to run.

However when it comes down to it, we are entittled to these breaks and our unions would not be happy to find out that we dont get them. If need be we can remind our employer that breaks are a contractual part of our day. Easier said than done when you dont want to rock the boat, and you know your patients need care. I found that the only people that got regular breaks where the people that smoked. I guess just being an advocate for yourself is the best thing I can say.

Good luck!

I am a nurse on a busy labor and delivery floor. I made sure I always had large water bottles to sip while charting and protein drinks on days I couldnt eat. I had one episode when I was doing my third admit for the shift and the pt was getting her epidural, I had to leave because I was about to pass out. That was my only close call. I just really made sure I took every opportunity outside the pt room to sip and sip. I was off for six weeks so sipping was easier by then. My only advice is make every opportunity to get water or protein in you , do no let the clock dictate "lunch" so to speak.

Good luck, every day did get easier and now I have absolutely no problem. Everyone I worked with also knew I had the surgery and were all very supportive and very re mindful :D

Ali

Im a nurse aid and I am worried about the same thing. I work at a nursing home and some nights it is non stop the whole 8 hours and we dont get a break. But we can have drinks on the floor if kept in the charting room so I am hoping I will be able to drink enough and maybe get in a protein shake when I cant eat.

I'm a nurse also and am 1 week post op, my surgeon is not releasing me to start work until at least 6weeks out and has advised me to make sure I have water with me so don't know how I'm going to go.

Glad to hear there are some nurses on the boards.

Once my health is in order I can get back to school, I'm planning to get my RN then hopefully work on getting a masters while I'm working!

Sounds like 2 demanding jobs at once, guess its just a matter of juggling per say since the medical field is never routine LOL!

I'm an RN as well working NICU/PICU/Pedi oncology for 4 hospitals (float pool). I have no benefits because I chose the higher pay and get benefits through my hubby. I am due to have RNY soon and am telling no one. Planning to take only 2 weeks off as I cannot afford more time off without an income.

I am going to schedule myself mostly NICU due to the weight restriction.

I'm a Diabetes Educator so don't have to work on the floor- regardless my GP has said 6 weeks before I'm back and then only if I'm right to go! I seriously would not have been capable of working after two weeks off!! I've never been one to be surgically attached to a drink bottle but have now acquired three! My suggestion is to keep your drink bottle at the desk/write up area and as someone suggested talk to your Nurse Manager, stressing your need for privacy if applicable- . If you approach it from the point of view of being the best you can be to provide excellent care for your patients it may help- Not that any of us would not give the best care we can regardless, this is just a suggestion !! All the best !!

I am starting a new job 3 wks after my surgery. My surgeon seemed to think this would be ok. I will have classroom type orientation on my 3rd wk postop, then start on the floor the next week. I did not really think about the lifting part of it. I used to work maternity(really no lifting here except newborns) and going back to med surg, so lifting is a given. I am hoping because I will be on orientation that the lifting wont be as much at 1st but maybe just wishful thinking! I didn't plan on telling anyone at least right away. I didn't want to start off a new job telling them that I have restrictions. Any thoughts on this anyone???

I am starting a new job 3 wks after my surgery. My surgeon seemed to think this would be ok. I will have classroom type orientation on my 3rd wk postop, then start on the floor the next week. I did not really think about the lifting part of it. I used to work maternity(really no lifting here except newborns) and going back to med surg, so lifting is a given. I am hoping because I will be on orientation that the lifting wont be as much at 1st but maybe just wishful thinking! I didn't plan on telling anyone at least right away. I didn't want to start off a new job telling them that I have restrictions. Any thoughts on this anyone???

Can always get a note from your primary stating that you can't lift so much for so long. They can't ask why, and its only temporary so i dont think they will make a big deal out of the situation.

I work in the medical field also and I have been off of work since Nov 20th, 2012 I'm going back on jan 16th. I have not told anyone about my surgery and I'm thinking of just saying I had a hiata hernia removed. I just dont want to keep explaining the surgery to all that ask about it.

I'm hope that works.

I am not a nurse but just wanted to say thank you for all you all do for us:)

I'm an ICU nurse, I'm 25 days out. Scheduled to go back in 6 days. I'm still having pain. Not a ton, but definitley if I lift my son (3yr old), bend over and pick something off the floor, or twist the wrong way. I'm debating taking a few more days off...but wondering if it will matter. Do these pains last a while, or should I be pain free all together? Part of me wants to go back because i need a break from the monotony of day to day stay at home mom life...lol.

I'm a nurse. I just went back to work this week...I was 6 and a half weeks out from surgery. I worked the last two days and was certainly glad that I had off today so I could sleep in. I am really glad that I did not go back sooner because it would have been too hard...as I have had lots of fatigue that is just starting to improve. I work in hemodialysis right now, which is not as physically demanding as the med surg floor I used to work on. I basically tried to drink water whenever I could and managed to get in two snacks during each shift...nothing big just some crackers and pb or some greek yougurt or string cheese.

Nurse here with lap band i didnt have to be off very long i took a week but i wish i would have taken 2 with all the walking i was in pain at the end of shift no sure if i could finish. I think some of it could have been lingering gas pain. that was a nursing home/ rehab now i work as a occupational nurse and have a office sit down job. the job is better but harder on my diet now that i have a lot of time on my hands i want to eat the whole time im here

I'm an RN and I work as a case manager, so the demands are not that physical, but the DRIVE to work can be tricky and LONG.   I think if we prepare ahead with protein shakes and water already ready to go.   I have the best boss in the world, she told me yesterday that  could "remote" to work, that means that I can log in from home when I need to.   God is so good to me!!!!

I'm not a nurse, I work as central service technician at an outpatient surgery center. Because I work in both sterile areas and dirty areas, I can not eat or drink on the job and like a lot of you, breaks are rare. Today is my third day back. I'm on my feet all day and have a fast pace job. I had to leave work early yesterday due to extreme exhaustion and stomach pain. I think mostly due to dehydration. I'm scared I won't be able to keep up with my bodys needs!

I'm not a nurse, I work as central service technician at an outpatient surgery center. Because I work in both sterile areas and dirty areas, I can not eat or drink on the job and like a lot of you, breaks are rare. Today is my third day back. I'm on my feet all day and have a fast pace job. I had to leave work early yesterday due to extreme exhaustion and stomach pain. I think mostly due to dehydration. I'm scared I won't be able to keep up with my bodys needs!

it takes some time but you do get use to it. I was worried that the lack of food would drain me but i soon adjusted course i had great support from my co-workers