10 Days Post-Op And Starving

I was told that I would not be hungry the first two weeks and that I will only be able to fit an ounce at a time in my stomach. I am able to eat a moderate serving of a meal. I am sticking to mushy stuff but I am not getting filled up quickly like before. I ate a whole serving of malt-o-meal this morning and was comfortably full. Is this normal? or should I still be eating tiny amounts?

I felt that same way early out, especially with soft / slider foods. I thought I was doing great because I was getting in a lot of protein. However, as time went on, I realized I was not doing myself any good by eating until I thought I was full. Truth be told, my nutritionist never gave me a limit as to how much I could eat at a time like so many other poster's have eluded to on this forum, just that I need to consume 80-100 g of protein a day. To this day (and I'm 11 months postop), I still never feel a "full" sensation. I've created a habit of planning my meals, measuring my food, and keeping a food log. It's the only way I can ensure my daily success. And by the way, I feel hungry all the time!

My advise is to go by what your surgeon / nutritionist is recommending for you at this stage. If they have indicated no more than 1/4 cup (2 ounces), then stick with that, even if you feel you can eat more. It's better in the long run to develop smart habits, such as eating smaller, controlled portions and having balanced nutrition, than worrying about how much you can eat. Trust your nutritionist to guide you through the stages of advancing the quantity of your food intake appropriately.

Best wishes as you continue your journey towards a healthier you!

I thought the whole point of the surgery is to give us the sense of fullness so we can be more successful? This isn't worth it if I am still starving and I can fit the same amount of food in my stomach as before.

Everyone is different. You may find with time that you develop a sense of fullness (some people get hints, such as hiccups, runny nose), but for some it never happens. It boils down to practicing healthy habits and learning that what you planned and measured out is enough. There are some people who claim they never feel hungry, and others feel hungry all the time. I can't honestly tell you whether what I feel is true hunger or head hunger. I just know I have to stick with planning and measuring my food intake. I have an underlying trust that if I overdo it, my pouch will let me know. And the mere fact that I don't get sick or have any food intolerances (other than most food options just taste awful to me with exception of foods in their natural state) tells me I am doing something right (or at least I like to think so).

The further you get out, you will find that you can eat what seems like more food. At least for me, it seems that way. The difference between now and preop is that the quality of my food choices is vastly different. There are days when I feel like I have been eating all day long, but I am only registering 1200 calories, <30 g fat, 100 g protein, <1500 mg sodium, and <135 g of carbs, which is what my nutritionist recommends for my daily intake. I now finally understand all of those diet commercials that claim you can "eat more and lose weight." When you're taking in quality, high-protein, low-fat foods, you can consume more food than you could a high-fat, high-calorie food option.

Try to remember you're still early out, and your body is doing a lot of healing. Right now, trust your nutritionist and the eating plan they have laid out for you. Trust yourself to make those good decisions. Don't give up on it just yet. Expect good things...because there are so many good things to come!

I never feel 'full'..full to me would be uncomfortable. I just feel satisfied now because I measure my foods out and watch what I eat. The point of the surgery was to reduce the size of your stomach so that you do not consume as many calories. I know in the beginning, I felt hungry but it was my mind that was causing that hunger, it wasn't real. And I mean I felt like I was starving ALL of the time, it made me an emotional wreck! But I found out that it was all 'head hunger'..it was me watching the Food Network while only getting in 1/4 cup of soup for a meal. It was me watching my husband eat delicious, full plates of food while drinking a shake. That kind of thing drove me insane and made me incredibly hungry. Once I stopped doing those things and focused on myself, the 'head hunger' disappeared. Have you considered that maybe it is 'head hunger' and not real hunger? I do know that once you get to heavier foods, you most likely won't feel hungry, at least I never do. I hope that helps, hang in there..I know it can be incredibly frustrating!

You got the lap band, that is a whole different scenario from gastric bypass. Don't you have to go in for "fills" in which they keep adjusting the band until you are losing weight at the right speed? Also, in gastric bypass the Grehlin is removed as part of the surgery, and that is one of the things that causes stomach hunger. It comes back after about a year, but with the lap band it doesn't go away, so you probably need to be eating small, frequent meals just making sure lots of protein and low fat, carbs, sugar.

And, this is the hard part which none of us probably did before, you eat until the hunger pang is gone, not until you are full. If you haven't already you probably need to talk to your surgeon, not the nutritionist (which I suspect most of them are incompetent) about your problem.