Julez

Turn back time???

Good Morning All,

As I have said Im having my surgery next week.I wanted to ask all of you post-op,if you could would you trun back time and not have this surgery???

The birth of my daughter 18+ years ago and my marriage 4 years ago are probably the No. 1 and 2 highlights of my life.

Having WLS (with all of its positive effects) is definitely the No. 3 highlight of my life. I think you will find that most post-ops would never turn back time.

Why would I want to go back to a life of misery and pain, with significant health problems and the inability to really LIVE? Before surgery, I couldn't get up from a sitting position without stopping momentarily to let the paralyzing pain in my joints subside. I took a regimen of medications every day in order to survive. I slept with a forced-air CPAP mask over my face every night to breathe. I couldn't laugh or cough without wetting myself. Intimacy with my husband was exhausting and nearly impossible.

All of those miseries are gone. I'm truly a new person. I have been given a great gift--the gift of life. The choice was probable early death or life. I chose life. I would NEVER go back.

Thank you for your honesty.Im just nervous.I know it will greatly improve my life and Im ready for it. I really havent heard any negitive remarks about this surgery and I thought I would ask that question to see what responses I would get.

Have a great day

You know if you ask someone who is a week out of surgery they may want to go back because that first week is no walk in the park. I am now 8 weeks out tomorrow and loving life. Things just get better and better each day.

I am a 22 year old female who has lived being heavy since the day I was born at a 10lb baby. This surgery has given me a chance to live a life I never thought I could. I'm down 50lbs and loving it. This is the best tool I have ever been given and no matter what I would never go back and change this.

Hope this helps.

XO

And live my life as a hermit, watching life and living pass me by, to continually gain and eventually be dead. No, I would not turn back time on this surgery. Now, how about speeding up for one year and be at goal, well, I might take you up on that one lol. Really, I feel the journey is part of the process we go through.

Hell week was exactly that... hell. But when you get over your food issues, over your insecurities and the courage to start putting yourself first... you get powerful. That has been the GREATEST experience for me with WLS, finally having control of my life... mind, body and soul. Best wishes sugar pea!

Julez,

Here is my honest and humble opinion on this subject. The first week was "hell week" and I did have some questions as to weather I made the right decision (this is perfectly normal). I had only lost 4 lbs my first week, and started feeling like maybe I would be the first person who wouldn't lose after surgery. After that I developed a leak in my incision site and had to have my incision opened and had to pack it for a week and at that point, I truly wanted to just have the surgery reversed and eat a pizza!!! :D

Skip ahead five months... I am down 94 lbs (I have to change my signature still sorry guys) and I am engaged to a wonderful man I met again after several years (we use to work together) and we met at Dr. Callery's support group again. We are to be married on July 16, 2005. Besides that, I still have sleep apnea, but I can deal with that. I no longer have stress urinary incontenance, I no longer suffer the pains of rheumatoid arthritis, my knees rarely go out on me anymore, I no longer am diabetic, and I have so many other co-morbidities that use to haunt me. I now have regular menstral cycles, meaning that one day I may actually be able to have children, God willing. All in all this sugery has been a great success and a great tool. And trust me when I tell you that for me personally, I have had a few complications which could have clouded my judgement and make me feel as if I had made the wrong decision still. I have my life back now, I went to Knott's Berry Farm and fit on all the rides I couldn't fit on before. I have had to move the seat up in my truck twice, I no longer pant and get out of breath while walking up the stairs or doing any vigorous exercises.. ;)

So all in all, this has been the most incredible thing that has happened to me, besides being reunited with my soul mate. I am thankful every day for this tool. I work very hard to ensure that I stick to the rules and use it to the best of it's ability.

Good luck on your surgery. Fears are completely normal. If you have any further questions please ask away.

One more thing, you may not hear bad things or regrets because the people who embrace the support groups and use the forum are usually the ones who are thrilled to death to have had this opportunity. There are those, hopefully not too many, but there are some who are having a difficult time dealing with the surgery and maybe are off track and gaining their weight back. Those are the ones who need the support the most, but refuse to get it. So please, always stay with us.. even if you feel you are falling off the wagon. Nobody here would judge you, we would encourge and support you and help you in any way possible... know this please before you go into surgery. And always let us be here to support and love you ok... Good luck my friend.. :)

If it wasn't for this surgery, I would never have met so many wonderful people. We now have our own clique. No matter what the experience or questions is, someone here has already gone through it. Before, it seemed like I was all alone. I had a few close friends, but no one that understood what I've gone through before and after surgery.

A coworker use to call me "Marie, Marie", after a song. In the past few weeks, it's just "Marie". I was teasing him and said, before long, it'll just be "Ma". He replied, soon it'll just be "Mmmmmmm" :)

It's a complete lifestyle change. Everyone will notice and comment. Sometimes it's not supportive. Feeling good and postive within yourself is one the best things surgery has returned for me.

Last year, I was scheduled for this surgery. 3 days before, I chickened out and canceled it. I thought to myself "I'm not wimping out and having surgery, I can do this on my own!" Well......over the course of the year, I lost a whopping 2 pounds. Hmmpf. So, I researched and researched and researched some more. I wanted to be completely informed. A friend of mine had it done 2 years ago and has lost about 120 lbs. She was diabetic and when removing some adhesions, the doctor accidentally nicked her spleen. The diabetes made it difficult to stop bleeding, so they had to remove the spleen. If you ask her if she'd go through it again, the answer is YES!!!!!!! I made another appointment in May of this year, talked to the doctor and they scheduled it for the next week. They didn't give me time to back out again! LOL. Anyway, this time I had no regrets and told the doctor in the operating room "Let's rock 'n roll!" Everyone is right, though. The first week is not fun, but everyday gets a bit better and better. Two weeks out, I developed some fluid under my skin and they had to open up a 2 inch section. We had to pack it for a couple of weeks, but it was NOT painful at all. Just a pain in the neck, really, or inconvenient because we went camping during that time. I just took my baggie with my bandages and saline solution. Time passed and people started commenting that my face looked thinner...then my clothes got baggy. Now, I'm just over 3 months out, I have energy to burn. The arthritis in my knees no longer hurts. I can have sex without losing my breath. I can sit in the bathtub without both sides of my hiney hitting both sides of the tub at the same time. I can cross my legs! At first, it seems that it'll never work, but before you know it, you're tossing out clothes and looking forward to getting new ones. Would I do it again???? Honestly, it depends on the day you ask me. Sometimes I'm just having an "off" day and nothing seems to sit well. But, most of the time 99%, I feel wonderful and would go through it again. I feel that the surgery is 40% physical and 60% mental. It's permanent. There's no looking back, and that's what you have to tell your mind. You have to develop good, healthy eating habits. No more junk. Junk food is what got me into this mess in the first place, and I spent too much pain and money to mess it up. In my opinion, it is worth it. It's a short period of pain, and the rest is wonderful!

Tabitha (In Virginia

Open 5/26/04

321/242/???

Bariatric surgery saved my life, physically & EMOTIONALLY!!!!

Would I turn back time?? Yes.... I would turn it back and do the surgery much earlier had it even been suggested to me before the time that it was, last summer by my cardiologist....

Since my surgery, 8 weeks ago, I've lost 56 pounds, not as much as some, but I've gained so much more. I went to my endocrinologist day before yesterday and my blood pressure was 120/73, thats unheard of, :eek: that's within normal limits!!!! I've been taking BP meds since I was 21 years old, my hemoglobin A1c from my diabetes has NEVER been under 9, normal is 4.3-5.5, mine was 7.2, albeit, mine's still not normal, but it's getting there... there are so many things that have changed in the last 2 months since my surgery that I can't even list them here, I've only put down the two newest things because they have effected the two biggest health issues that I had prior to surgery, my heart and my insulin dependent diabetes, two biggies, the two things that were killing me.... but, just know Julez that I wouldn't change an iota, I'd do this whole process over again in a single heart beat!!!! This whole process has changed my life. I've made some of the most wonderful friends I've ever had. I've always had incredible friends, all my life, but these girls and guys on this forum are amazing, because they KNOW the hurts and joys that we feels from before our surgeries and after, they can relate like no one else can.... ;) You're in the right place, you're making a good decision for yourself...

You won't regret it.... :)

God bless you dear heart and God speed~

Thank you all for your honesty.I know this is the beginning of a wonderful journey for me.Im so excited to finally go through this.I have been researching this for about 3yrs talking to people who have had it and thinking & thinking & thinking over & over if I should do this.Im now being honest with myself & I know this is something I HAVE to do at this point.Its also great to talk to others that were in my situation and can relate to what Im going through.

Thanx again

Julez,

I agee with everyone else....I would do this again and again and again!!! I have found a new lease on life....my kids love that mommy is more active and I love it too!!! Exercise is fun and food does not completely rule my life anymore! I know I have a lot of emotional stuff to work through still BUT with this support group, God and my family and friends, everything will be great!! Good luck with your decision...it is a life changer!

Julez, I only ask that question because I can't imagine not wanting to have the surgery.

I can understand all the emotional issues, feelings of failure, and just being plain old scared of going under the knife; however, this is the best thing you could ever do for yourself.

I wouldn't trade it for the world no matter what...it's awesome! It will save your life and you will do great! It gets better everyday, ask anyone, and as many have posted.

Go for it and live your life to the fullest!

Take Care,

Pamela

Open 08/26/03

272/138/120