Sign in to follow this  
dr.snow

6 Months Post Op Gastric Bypass And Getting More Light Headed?

hello dr.

ive question about getting so frequent light headiness especially if stand suddenly i am near to fall down all what i see is black for few second and i need to support myself

i had them before but know its more frequent almost each time i stand i got them??

i am pretty sure its not dehydration because i am drinking almost 2.5 littler of liquid a day and i don't consume coffee or other caffeinated product , they ecreased if i am fasting for long time 11 hours and specially after exercising.

i am almost near my goal weight , i try to eat healthy diet and exercises 6 times a week ,, but i am not very compliant with vitamins because they make me sick and throw up. but my last lab work 2n month ago still in the normal range

so what do you think doctor what shall i do to feel better ?

thank you

hello dr.

I've question about getting so frequent light headiness especially if stand suddenly i am near to fall down all what i see is black for few second and i need to support myself

i had them before but know its more frequent almost each time i stand i got them??

i am pretty sure its not dehydration because i am drinking almost 2.5 littler of liquid a day and i don't consume coffee or other caffeinated product , they ecreased if i am fasting for long time 11 hours and specially after exercising.

i am almost near my goal weight , i try to eat healthy diet and exercises 6 times a week ,, but i am not very compliant with vitamins because they make me sick and throw up. but my last lab work 2n month ago still in the normal range

so what do you think doctor what shall i do to feel better ?

thank you

Congratulations on achieving a normal BMI! Doing so in 6 months is pretty rapid, but certainly within the range of what is expected especially from a start weight in the 200s. There are a couple of things that worry me though. First, I think that it's time for you to get a check up with your surgeon and get some blood work done. We usually like to see our patients at 6 months. We check the history, physical exam including neurological exam as necessary, and check blood work including electrolytes, liver function, blood count, magnesium, and vitamin levels. We would want to rule out dehydration. Sometimes people are not getting enough water or other fluids, and occasionally (rarely) they are not getting enough salt. We want to make sure that the patient's medications are still appropriate. For instance, as a person loses weight, she or he may no longer need anti hypertension medication. If a person is taking these drugs and no longer needs them, she or he may be becoming hypotensive and lightheaded. If the person lost weight too fast and lost lean body mass, she or he might actually be malnourished. That can lead to lightheadedness. Finally, some people who don't take vitamins (and even some who do but not enough) can become vitamin or mineral deficient. Vitamin and mineral deficiency can cause neurological difficulties in the autonomic nervous system that controls blood pressure or in the middle ear that regulates equilibrium. Either of these problems can cause lightheadedness.

So in short:

1. Get a check up with your doc.

2. Make sure any medications are properly adjusted.

3. Have blood work done to check your metabolism and your vitamin and mineral levels.

4. Take your vitamins.

5. Make every effort to eat a balanced Mediterranean type diet including lots of green leafy vegetables, beans, berries, and some nuts such as almonds.

6. Make sure you getting enough fluids including. Your doctor will be able to tell from your blood work if you are getting the right balance of water and salt.

Good luck, and have fun with your new weight, shape, and energy.

Dr. Callery