1 Year And 6 Months Post Op Banding :(

Here is my saga. January 5th of 2010 (yes 2010) I had the Realize Band surgery. After 2 months post op I had my first fill. I felt nothing. I was still "dieting". In fact I was on WW (if I am allowed to say that). Every month I would meet with my Surgeon and tell him that I had absolutely no restriction. I could eat anything. Bread, steak etc. He would give me a fill and I would go on thinking I would finally get a restriction. After many months with a fill here and no restriction there I fell off the wagon and stopped attending the monthly office appointments. I would eat what I wanted to because if I couldn't take and keep the weight off before the banding, how could I expect to maintain my motivation after the surgery with no restriction? I finally went back to my surgeon after I decided that I had spent too much time, money and, let's face it, I am embarrased that I have gotten the surgery and I am not losing weight. I went back after not seeing him for 3 months and got a fill. My doctor does not do the fill under fluro and does not tell us how much fill we have. He also does the fills with no numbing, so this is not fun and I also don't enjoy paying the money for the fills that doesn't work. He is afraid that we will get together and compare fillings and get upset. I see it another way. I am an adult and have the right to be educated.

Back to the story...After last months fill....NOTHING. No restriction. I am steadily climbing my weight up. I am now up to 308 (3 pound gain in one month). I can eat anything. FRUSTRATED IS NOT THE WORD. So I went back this Monday after a month since my last fill and talked to him about my problem. I have lost track of the amount of fills, but I believe it to be around 7 fills. I told him that I was worried that I had a leak, or he wasn't successful in filling because my port is deep under the skin and I am thick, or the band has slipped or or or or...... He finally took some time with me (I guess it surprised him when I told him that I thought is was high time for me to have reached the "sweet spot" they keep telling me I wil find but haven't after 1 year and 6 months). He gave me another fill (again not telling me how much) and I believe before that, he removed some and the reinstilled. He told me to come back next month and if I still have no restriction he will do a Barium Swallow.

Has anybody had this problem? I feel like such a failure. I am extremely embarrassed because everybody knows that I have had the banding and yet I am gaining weight. I am mortified! I am hopeful that this last fill will be successful. I would love to hear your thoughts.

I had bypass, so I can't answer your question, but I hope you find a solution soon. Have you considered going to another surgeon? I think you should insist on the swallow test now, youve waited long enough! I also think it's ridiculous that he won't tell you how much your fill is, you're paying for it and you have the right to know! Good luck.

I had bypass, so I can't answer your question, but I hope you find a solution soon. Have you considered going to another surgeon? I think you should insist on the swallow test now, youve waited long enough! I also think it's ridiculous that he won't tell you how much your fill is, you're paying for it and you have the right to know! Good luck.

Unfortunately, if I go to another surgeon it would be out of area and I would have to pay 100% out of pocket. I really wanted the barium swallow this week, but I do believe he took some more time and withdrew the saline and reinstilled. Maybe I did get a successful fill. I have always thought he was missing my port when he did some of my fills.

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, if I go to another surgeon it would be out of area and I would have to pay 100% out of pocket. I really wanted the barium swallow this week, but I do believe he took some more time and withdrew the saline and reinstilled. Maybe I did get a successful fill. I have always thought he was missing my port when he did some of my fills.

Thanks for your reply.

I know nothing about lap band and fills, but there was a thread last week about someone's port flipped. The surgeon was going to have to perform fills using x-ray from now on. I hope that someone else on this forum can provide more info for you. Good luck!

couldn't you ask him for the fluro before? Also, if you're really curious about your fill you do have the right to your med records which should say in there what was put in. What my surgeon said is that they take saline out a lil and put it back in kinda like a flushing. The other thing that can be done even before fluro is take out fluid and see if it matches what's supposed to be in there. I am sorry you're having probs tho and sure hope it gets better soon. Best of luck.

couldn't you ask him for the fluro before? Also, if you're really curious about your fill you do have the right to your med records which should say in there what was put in. What my surgeon said is that they take saline out a lil and put it back in kinda like a flushing. The other thing that can be done even before fluro is take out fluid and see if it matches what's supposed to be in there. I am sorry you're having probs tho and sure hope it gets better soon. Best of luck.

I guess I could ask for the fluor, but that is just not the way he does it. He always fills without fluro. I believe he did remove the saline to see if it matched, but of course,he didn't tell me what he found.

Tomorrow I go to a soft diet, so I should be able to tell if I have a little restriction. I am hoping I do! You are right about me asking for my records, but I don't know if I am ready to upset the apple cart just yet by asking for them.

Thanks for your response.

keep us updated and sure hope you get restriction soon!!! :) take care :)

It has been a week and a half since I had my last fill and I FINALLY have a restriction. Looks like I have lost close to 8 pounds. It is absolutely ashame that it has taken more than a year and a half before I could feel this way. I am not sure that I don't need another fill or not. I have about 3 weeks before I see the surgeon. It is amazing when they listen to the patient.