May Surgeries

vashell

71/2 weeks out and I am starting to get hungry all the time. Have lost 40 lbs. And feel pretty good. I still struggle with getting the calcium in. Anybody else want to share?

No hunger, but I love the taste of all foods which is probably just as bad. I have no problem eating or drinking (knock on wood) but I'm not losing any weight yet post-op, which is interesting. I'm trying to up my protein intake to my recommended 75-100 grams since I'm only getting about 65 at present......just one protein drink before going to bed I guess.

I've been walking normally for about a week now, instead of my penguin-walk with a cane, when it was discovered by my surgeon that my severe Arthritis was actually the Gout and have been taking appropriate medication since with success.

Despite the lack of current weight loss the fat has been on the move and I've now tossed my second pair of trousers into the donation bag and tossed most of my underwear, which now requires a laundry run more often.

My biggest thrill of course is not having any health issues that were previously killing me. Weight loss for me is just icing on the (protein) cake.

I was reluctant to post since my reply is on the negative side, but there's good and bad to everything. My good is that I've lost 40 pds since surgery and I'm getting "better". My bad is that I still have my feeding tube, can't keep much more than pudding down, and have been depressed. My next appt. I'm going to bring up doing another endoscopy to check for ulcers or anything else that could be causing me problems. The first one was done within about a week of my RNY so hopefully something can be found so it can be fixed.

I'm so glad things seem to be going well for others who have had surgery in May. I do get hungry, but a few bites of good ole pudding take that away and I go back to feeling "satisfied" (wrong word since I'm not really).

gosh serena, I know just how you feel. we had surgery around them same time and I too am hungry! but mostly at night, I've lost 38 lbs and i'm struggling, but I keep on trying to fill up with water. Hang in there, let me know how ur doing, Jessa

For several weeks I tired so easily. I am beginning to get my energy back! I am progressing to a trial and error diet. As long as I chew very well things go down okay. I am also starting to feel the sense of hunger. I feel like I am failing at getting enough fluids in.

I have lost 35 pounds. I feel if I worked out more it would be better weight loss. My chronic neck pain makes it hard to get motivated to exercise as much as I should.

My goal is to get up and move more.

I have a feeling hair loss is already happening. I have a very thick head full of hair, but I am really surprised at what hits the floor at a brushing. Still not sure if it is really happening or not.

I'm feeling great, but not losing -- I lost slowly over the first 4 weeks and nada since. I'm actually up a couple of pounds from my lowest at the moment. I'm trying to be patient. Trying... Really... Really... Hard... ARGH!!!

I'm exercising quite a bit (some cardio every day and strength training at least 3 times a week) and am glad to be getting some of my strength back.

So far, adding in foods is going pretty well. Eggs and dairy sit fine, which I'm grateful for, since I'm a vegetarian and they're such solid protein sources. I'll admit I'm glad I haven't had to worry about whether or not I can still eat chicken/turkey/beef/fish/etc -- I'm sure it's easier to accept a dietary limitation when it's a decision you make than when it's an order handed to you by a fickle pouch! (I'm violently allergic to most seafood and boy, is that annoying! It's not so much that I miss it (even before going veg), but I kind of resent not having the choice and having to be hyper vigilant about it!)

7 weeks out today, and im feeling pretty good!

down 47 lbs and 24 inches!!! its still hard for me to see but most people are starting to notice.

I have not had any problems, thankfully! But im scarred of losing my hair hopefully it wont happen!

I am doing pretty good, I have lost a total of 53 lbs. I am not hungry though I struggle with temptation at times. Failed by grabbing a chips a hoy or a few chips but I get back on program. I know that a lot of this is mental and I need to work on it and failure is not giving in one time but continuing to give in and feel defeated.

I just got off a almost two week stall but I just plugged on.

I am exercising five days a week and am noticing that I do not get tired with simple tasks anymore, I am more limber and enjoy not sweating when I simply go outside to walk to the car.

It is a journey everyone and we all have struggles. The thing I have learned is that I will fail but I am going to get back up brush myself off and work on avoiding the pitfall the next time. You can do this, you were strong enough to deal with all that comes with being overweight, you were strong enough to come through the operation and to move on to better things. Even though it seems that you have struggles , you can overcome, some of us just have a steeper hill to climb but you will get to the top!!!

I am so proud of everyone because I know how hard this has been for me and I am encouraged in knowing I am not alone.

35 pounds lost since the day before surgery. Doing great so far, though my easy bruising is bugging me still.

Other than that, the only bad I've been dealing with is making myself food. I hate cooking for myself when I know I'm going to have a few bites and put the entire thing up - or pay for something on the go, that I know I'm wasting money. I've caught myself simply not eating because it's too hot and I don't want to fool with it if it's just me. Yes, Dh fussed at me for it, and I'm trying to eat more, even if it's just a few pepperonis and cheese, or peanut butter.

But I feel SO much better. I don't know what size I truly wear anymore. I've been wearing the same clothes but they are baggier.

I've caught myself simply not eating because it's too hot and I don't want to fool with it if it's just me.

My go to in such moments is frozen precooked shrimp. I put them into portion-size bags in the freezer so I just grab a bag and put it under some running water for a couple minutes to thaw and then eat. Great protein and my pouch loves the stuff. Another choice is a 3.25 oz bag of Jerky, whether beef or turkey. When its hot I often will go for a 1/2 cup of cold cottage cheese with some flavoring in it.

I'm doing pretty well overall. I've had some rough patches, as I'm sure most of us have, though these times have not been as bad as they could have been. I went through a period for a awhile where I could only tolerate water. I've gotten the foamies a number of times and have thrown up a few times (that's a whole lot of NO fun!). I have been told that I'm healing around 7-10 days slower than others at the stage I'm at (hence the reason I had such a difficult time getting in anything but around 20 ounces of water a day until around 7 weeks out). While I'm still on soft, high-protein foods, I am finally able to get in all my protein, fluids, and vitamins on most days. My labs were drawn a month early as my surgeon is worried I may have low iron and possibly other low vitamins and minerals. I've been quite tired lately (sleeping through the night--around 8-10 hours--and then taking one or two 3 hour naps a day!) and have been told not to do much for exercise as of yet other than light walking.

However, my weight is coming off nicely. My blood pressure is normalized and I'm off meds for that. It's believed my sleep apnea is gone and I have a test coming up for that soon and then I can be totally done with the CPAP. My asthma has improved and my meds have been lowered. I'm down to a 16 or L from a 24 or XXL (or sometimes a 3XL). I'm nearly out of the obese category and into the overweight category. I've started another course towards my Masters and I'm ready to start living again--rather than simply existing form one day to the next.

My go to in such moments is frozen precooked shrimp. I put them into portion-size bags in the freezer so I just grab a bag and put it under some running water for a couple minutes to thaw and then eat. Great protein and my pouch loves the stuff. Another choice is a 3.25 oz bag of Jerky, whether beef or turkey. When its hot I often will go for a 1/2 cup of cold cottage cheese with some flavoring in it.

Good suggestions, McNerd! I am loving precooked frozen shrimp and crab...with cocktail sauce!

I can't eat shrimp. :(

I've been eating nuked pepperonis and cheese cubes. The crunchy of the pepperoni sates the need for chips and cheese is just easy.

Sorry you can't eat shrimp. That's such a go to protein for many of us. Since you can do pepperoni, you should be able to handle Jerky with no problem and that is a good protein. Hard part is finding good prices. I get mine at $2.00 for a 3.25 oz bag so I buy $20 worth at a time.

My next try-to will be crab meat, but everything I've seen in my stores is imitation crab which is actually a white fish I understand.

Yesterday I did some small batch pressure canning of SouthWestern Seasoned/marinated Boneless Chicken Thighs. One store had a special and bought a bunch for $10. I ended up with 3 pint jars stuffed and in they went to the canner for 75 minutes. Nice thing about pressure canned meat is that it is super tender, which is what we need for our pouches, and it will store indefinitely on the pantry shelf.

If anyone has trouble with eating chicken, you might try the canned variety sold in stores. It may prove to be more moist and tender than your standard roasted chicken.

I am feeling so much better than before surgery and I know I am healthier. I am down 37 lbs from surgery. I bought a dehydrator and have made a bacth of turkey jerky which is much cheaper than store bought and also healthier and tastes awesome. I also have been eating lots of fish,tuna, crab meat, and shrimp for my protein. Edamame is another I love. Egg Beaters also. But chicken has not tasted good to me no matter how I cook it. I have stayed away from all red meat. I am exercising quite a bit and finally this week people are starting to notice I am losing weight (even those who didnt know I had surgery). My dr has me doing labs before my September appointment so I am curious if I will be ok or if I wil have defiincies of any vitamins or nutrients. I do worry about that even though I am taking all the required doses.

I wish everyone luck with their journey and it looks like everyone is doing so well and putting in the work.

I've been able to keep down my vitamins all day for the past couple days!! Yay!! Up until yesterday I wasn't so lucky. I hate that I've missed out on almost 3 months of vitamins. Maybe I'll feel a little less weak and more with it now. Just thought I'd share :)

Hi All,

I am doing pretty well now. I came out of the hospital the first time, just to be readmitted the next day due to my potassium dropping dangerously low. This has actually been quite an emotional journey, and I am certainly having to learn patience. I guess I just want the weight to fall off right away (quite unreasonable, I know). I seem to be able to eat a diversity of foods except that disgusting whey protein which I have tried to hide and ingest in a variety of forms. I can smell it a mile away, and it turns my stomach. I am trying the soy which my body seems to accept better. I still struggle to get in all of my food for the day which I think may be causing my most recent stall, but this too shall pass. Overall, I know that the benefits of this proceedure will outweigh the drawbacks in this summer heat, it has been great not to have my thighs so close to one another, lol!

hi everybody, I'm doing so great, I hope it doesn't sound like I'm gloating! my surgeon says that I'm one of her most successful ptients ever. I've lost45 lbs since may 10th, and I can tolerate everything I eat. I have dumped a couple of times, but that was when I had taken my ambien , slept walked, and ate things like a huge bowl of fruit loops! My husband is beginning to watch out for me after nightime dosage of med. all fishes, redfish,, salmon, tuna steak, shrimp, oysters!, go down in 3 oz portions. Vegetables cooked bell peppers, carrotsstring beans are good to me too. Still drink protein drink every day, I hve enough of that product to last till next year! Keeping a chart of vitamins and times of taking them. Taking 4 Juice Plus caps in water daily, both vegetable andfruits. Getting great from hair supplement,Stimulair, has helped my hair get thicker, and shinier, helped my nails and reduced excess skin on bottom of feet! No more need to get a pedi, can do myself!Other than having an UTI this week, I feel great!Even starting to feel sexy!! Can't wait to lose another 20 lbs, I'd be happy there forever. B12 shot and B sublingual giives me superwoman power! Okay, I'll shut up. But to those not doing as well, you can rejoice that you will become as well as I, love everyone, Jessa

• 2 weeks later...

I just found this area on the forums and I too am a May 2011 surgery I am almost 10 wks post-op Lap RNY and have lost 56 lbs. The best thing about this surgery is that I had been taking 135-150 units of insulin every day via my insulin pump (the reason my encrinologist suggested the surgery) and since surgery Ive reduced my insulin to 30 units a day and last week to 20 units a day with blood sugars that are fabulous!

I thought a couple of weeks ago that I may have been developing a stricture with frequent foamies lasting 30 - 40 minutes..but having the surgeon get me into a GI doc for a scope musta scared my pouch into behaving cuz its cooperating wiith my transition from soft to regular food pretty well! I dont do chicken very well...too dry. But I do very well on a low carb, high protein low fat diet. Im not allowed raw veggies for another month and cant wait for a salad again! Im in love wiith my greek yogurt and my old Atkins recipe for egg crepes stuffed wtih greek yogurt. Ive been able to integrate my meals with my family's and even spent 4 days in Kansas CIty this past week and was able to eat out (choosing very carefully and sharing what I didnt eat with the table) and still lost 2 lbs.

I have not shopped in a store that wasnt "plus size" in forever and Im having to put the breaks on my spending because Im so excited to be wearing 14-16 missy clothes!

Im not exercising as much as Id like to. Im walking 5 days a week at work, but am babying a torn left llateral meniscus tear in my knee so repetative striking movements like running or dancing is contraindicated. I tried the eliptical thinking that might be less stress, but with each rotation, that knee hurt and clicked, clicked, clicked! Looking for water aerobics in my area...not easy to find with my work schedule. So..Ill keep myself moving and do the best I can.

I appreciate each and every one of you, as you share youre journey. You answer so many of my questions with your stories and offer so much in the way of ideas and support.

Thanks to you all for being here

Deb

• 4 weeks later...

I just found this section! That's what I get for not scrolling down further. LOL. It's been a few weeks since anyone posted...but I'm just over 3 months out from my surgery. I've lost 62 pounds, and plenty of inches. I've bought some new clothes, and very excited not to be shopping in plus size stores anymore! I'm still wearing my old clothes, but I had a pair of capris that literally fell off my body last week. So I guess it's time to pack up the 3XL and 2XL clothes and give them away! Food wise, I've grown a bit weary of grilled chicken, so I'm excited to start branching out this month and eat some red meat. I don't tolerate bread, pasta or rice at all, but am exploring some raw veggies, which seem to be going down well. I'm really concerned that I'm going on vacation in a few weeks, and I'm afraid it will be really hard to eat my portions. I'm bringing my food scale with me, but hoping it will be okay!

Edited by jillinatlanta

Yes, I was just thinking of the May group a couple days ago, but didn't post anything. I'm doing much better and hope to get my feeding tube out on Thursday :) :) sooo excited!