43 And 6 Years Post-Op...high Risk Pregnancy

mrobertson

Hi Everyone

I am very new to this website. And so far have been reading all your stories. And want to say they are helping.

Can anyone help out with this issue. I am 6 years post op gastric bypass...and I am 43 had thought was starting the "change". Have been having major issues with heartburn and constipation on and on for last year. Have been to several doctors and have many test, but no one can seem to find answers. They thought that my pouch may have been having issues. But test should everything was fine. Iron major low in last 6 months or so. Took extra iron per doctor orders and messed up my system even more as they gave me two much.

Just found out that I am between 7 and 8 weeks pregnancy (after 21 years since my first baby). I am scared and happy at same time. Happy god has blessed me with another child. But scared, that because of my surgery and the issues I am having and the fact that I have been taking antiacid and Miralax (again per doctor orders) that I may have already harmed my baby. I am taking viatmins just not prenatel at the moment. Due to how the iron effects me. I have been told when I go to my first appointment with my OB to explain the issue I have with iron and see if there is something else they can give me.

I am finding that if I eat small meals through out the day. I seem not to get the burning feeling in my stomach. I have quiet my job as a waitress and will be starting a new job in a couple weeks that will put me behind a desk and mak my eating habits more regular. Working at the resturant, your eating habits get all messed up. Somedays you can go 5 hours or more with out eating and since finding out that I am preg, that has not been helping me at all.

I am having no vomitting (maybe will come later), I feel like I am going to get sick, but nothing.

I am trying to be good and eat fruit and veggies. Protien is not an issue for me. I find it funny that I can get cottege cheese again (have not been able for years since surg). Drinking water and going to start some prenat yoga.

I am wondering has anyone else have the issue of feeling full all the time. But eating because you know you have to?

Thanks Bunches....

Hi, welcome to TT and congratulations on your pregnancy. I don't have any advice to offer about your pregnancy but I was going to ask about your heartburn and constipation. Did your doctor ever check you for a hernia? I had heartburn that resolved itself after I had my gallblader removed. The heartburn came back with a vengeance 10 years later and it was a hernia. I am no MD, but that was my experience.

Again, congrats on your pregnancy and I am sure that others on this forum have some knowledge or experience that may help you. Take care!

Hi, welcome to TT and congratulations on your pregnancy. I don't have any advice to offer about your pregnancy but I was going to ask about your heartburn and constipation. Did your doctor ever check you for a hernia? I had heartburn that resolved itself after I had my gallblader removed. The heartburn came back with a vengeance 10 years later and it was a hernia. I am no MD, but that was my experience.

Again, congrats on your pregnancy and I am sure that others on this forum have some knowledge or experience that may help you. Take care!

Thank you....We did not check for hernia. At least I do not think they did. We did CT Scans....everything in stomach area seemed to check out just fine. Even gallbladder was fine. I have thought myself about the hernia issue. Will bring it up next time see doctor.

Yes, I feel full all the time and just eat because I know I need to. Definitely make sure your OB knows about your surgery and issues, they should be able to tell you what you need to do. I was a bundle of nerves when I found out I was pregnant, and still am some days, but as time has gone by I've started to relax more. This pregnancy is definitely different from my pre-op ones but neither my surgeon or OB are worried so I'm going to take a deep breath and try to enjoy the ride. :)

Maybe you can take the vitamins at night just before bed so that you can sleep up the effects of them? That's what I was always told to do. Also maybe tums now for the heartburn. Congrats on your new little one. Let us know how your both are doing!!! :D

Maybe you can take the vitamins at night just before bed so that you can sleep up the effects of them? That's what I was always told to do. Also maybe tums now for the heartburn. Congrats on your new little one. Let us know how your both are doing!!! :D

Thank you for the idea to take the vitamins at night. I will give that a try starting tomorrow. I have been taking the tums for the heatburn, but have been slowing down on them also, until I can talk to doctor. I have first appointment next Friday. I did have an ultrasound a couple weeks ago and it was done internal so we heard a health heart beat. There where tears in my eyes.

Yes, I feel full all the time and just eat because I know I need to. Definitely make sure your OB knows about your surgery and issues, they should be able to tell you what you need to do. I was a bundle of nerves when I found out I was pregnant, and still am some days, but as time has gone by I've started to relax more. This pregnancy is definitely different from my pre-op ones but neither my surgeon or OB are worried so I'm going to take a deep breath and try to enjoy the ride. :)

Thank you for letting me know I am not alone in this issue. I have been trying to eat something every two hours to help with this issue. And it works on days I do not have to work. Right now I am a waitress and one feet for 5 to 6 hours and somedays get no break. I run in the back and shovel some cottege cheese and oranges in mouth but within 20 mins returning to floor. I have burned that off (or baby has enjoyed). Therefore I have given notice and taking a less paying office job, where I can sit all day and munch when need to. I heard a healthy heartbeat two weeks ago with my ultrasound and "Peanut" looked alright at this point.

Yesterday was not one of those enjoy the ride days. It was a moning sickness day all day. Just counting days till 1st tri is over and hopeful will feel better.

Do you or does anyone find that they have more pressure now then did with other babies? I asume due to less room?

• 10 years later...

Hi,

I found your post and was hoping to find words of wisdom and resources since I am 41, 7 years post-op and hoping to start trying to conceive soon. I have an appointmen with my OBGYN after the holidays to get started with the necessary test and have my vitamins re-assesed for pre-pregnancy. I am happy with my decision and excited but want to be very careful. 

Hope your pregnancy was successful and you had a lovely healthy baby.