Had My 1 Month Follow Up

mcnerd

I had my scheduled one month follow-up appointment with my surgeon today and was concerned about what he would say to the fact that I've lost NO weight since the surgery. Actually their scale said I was down 2-1/2 lbs from the last visit, so who am I to argue.

Before the doctor came in one of the employee/nurses or whatever came in to update my medications (none) and my current vitamins and minerals and proceeded to get in an argument when I told her I was taking a chewable Methyl B-12 and she said I could ONLY take a 'sublingual' B-12 and anything else would not be absorbed. Tried to explain the difference between less efficient sublingual Cyanocobalamin B-12 and the more efficient Methylcobalamin B-12 for surgery patients, but she turned her hearing off and said she was going to tattle to the surgeon. Gawd I love these type people.

When the doctor finally came in the subject almost immediately switched to my Arthritis since he remembered it had gone in remission after surgery and now it was back, especially after determining I was doing great from the surgery and the slow weight loss was expected. He looked at my wrist and hand and left the room for a minute and came back with one of the other doctors and was asked to look at my hand......."Gout" she said. My doctor smiled and said, I'm a surgeon and this isn't my territory I thought I would get a second opinion. Geez, I've always had bouts of the Gout in previous years and now I find out that what my PCP was referring to me as simple Arthritis was actually very painful bouts of the Gout. No wonder my Tylenol didn't help it.

Tomorrow morning I will trot myself to my PCP's office to get him to write prescriptions for two medications for the Gout and I hope he doesn't make any off the wall comment.

My day is complete and I so wish I could drink something stronger than water.

I'm sorry you're dealing with gout Milton and that's particularly difficult post-RNY. Many of the medications available for relieving that we can't take so make sure you grill your PCP about that.

WLS (and dieting in general) frequently trigger attacks.

Allopurinol seems to help: http://www.gastricbypass.com/GBForDoctorsOnly.htm

Hyperuricemia frequently occurs during the period of rapid weight loss, associated with catabolism of large volumes of tissue. Patients with a prior history of gout, or hyperuricemia, should be maintained on Allopurinol. We believe that prophylactic administration of Allopurinol may also be beneficial, in preventing some occurrences of gouty arthritis, or uric acid urinary calculi.

Yes, the surgeon's office suggested Allopurinol for maintenance and Colchicine for flair ups so I'm seeing my PCP this morning to get prescriptions for them. I had a history of gout, except with the current PCP.

OUch! Gout is sooo painful.

Now I'm wondering.. doesn't gout include pooling fluids? And if so, would that be a possible reason for the slow losses so far? (added to the fact that you lost a bunch preop and have prob. just hit that dreaded stall early?)

Glad you're going to get treatment, hopefully that takes care of your pain!

OUch! Gout is sooo painful.

Now I'm wondering.. doesn't gout include pooling fluids? And if so, would that be a possible reason for the slow losses so far? (added to the fact that you lost a bunch preop and have prob. just hit that dreaded stall early?)

The swelling (and the intense pain that I put at 12 at times) is what caught the attention of the surgeon. Shame my own PCP couldn't have been interested enough to notice. It could very well be an issue with the slow weight loss. Went to my PCP this morning and was informed he would not be in the office until after 1pm and will depend on his mood on how soon he considers approving the prescription. I've asked that it be faxed to the pharmacy and I've informed the pharmacy to expect it this PM or tomorrow. Fingers crossed. I'm eager to find out if the medication actually works.

I actually had to laugh a bit because the nurse/receptionist was questioning if the two medications were duplicates and the partner doctor happened to be listening to the conversation and said 'no', one was for maintenance and the other was for flair ups, so I needed both. And she confirmed from my comments that I indeed had the symptoms of Gout.

Now I just wait, a common word for all of us.

Best of luck getting the gout under control. Hoping you'll be losing weight soon, too. Good luck!

stupid gout....i think im experiencing my first ever flare up in my left big toe joint....i hope it receeds quickly because i have to be on my feet for 12-14 hours a day and this really puts a crimp in my day.

really sorry about the gout! Hope the meds work real fast for you. You have such a positive attitude with the weight loss issue but then yu had such "tribulation" pre-op I guess you earned some patience :rolleyes:

Most posts are freaking if there isn't great weekly loss and for you to endure no additional loss (well 2 1/2 lbs this week) and not be screaming is admirable~

The Gout meds seem to be doing some good, but they cause diarrhea so I've had to stay close to the throne. I can only hope it is a temporary condition and taking probiotics to encourage that to occur.

I guess age is in my favor on not sweating the lack of weight loss so far. It's not a big issue to me since I know it will occur in due time. But I am tickled to death that I'm rid of my diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and other issues. Weight loss at this point is kind of icing on the cake. Life is getting better.