Sasquatch

Sasquatch says....

Awwww, shucks, I'm touched y'all missed me. :)

And if I do have to be stuck somewhere, being right around that half-the-girl-I-was mark is a pretty neat place to hang out! There is just no comparison between then and now.

Of course, if I hadn't lost the weight, I wouldn't have gone for my longest run yet -- 6 miles -- yesterday, and I wouldn't have thought "I'll sprint the last quarter mile!" and I wouldn't have put on a burst of speed, tripped, and planted myself face-first in the sidewalk. I'll admit I walked for a minute or so after I got up again, but other than that, I ran the whole way! I'm going to pause there for a moment and bask in that because until I scheduled that run a week ago, I wouldn never have thought I'd EVER be able to run 6 miles without stopping. Really?! REALLY?! Somehow, I became one of those people who can do that?! That's AMAZING!

Glee aside, though, I managed to damage myself quite a lot, considering -- road rash on the backs of both hands, one forearm, one knee, and a little on my chin and top lip where my hands didn't totally shield my face, hematomas on my forearm and knee, crush bruising and swelling of the large outer knuckles of both hands, and likely a cracked rib or two. I'm all patched up now and, though I'm moving slowly today, everything seems to be working. I did a super slow, easy 3 mile walk today to keep from stiffening up. The ribs are going to be a bear to deal with, but I'm optimistic the rest should fade to annoying in the next few days.

Now do me a favor and stop making me laugh, you smart, funny people! Have mercy! :lol:

Awww, fer Pete's sake!

I'll get the full radiologist's read tomorrow, but my DH talked me into going to the doctor to get my various odds and ended checked for permanent damage. Yeah, it looks like I cracked some ribs and fractured my pinky, but the good news is I didn't crack my kneecap or chip my elbow. Wooo? I am glad of that, but it's hard to be super enthusiastic about it -- because when you have broken ribs, being more than :mellow: "meh" about anything HURTS. I'm going to have to take lessons in acting bored from my cats.

I asked the doctor if I might be able to run walk a 5k in 2 weeks (I'm signed up with a buddy who's been doing the c25k program) and she looked at me like I had rocks in my head (and not the kind it would be interesting to write a medical article about). She said maaaaaaaybe I could walk it if I was feeling like superwoman. Then she shook her head and said, "Runners. I'll never understand you guys."

:wub: And I just beamed, thinking, "Wow! She called me a runner!" ...then, "Ow. Smiling hurts the road rash on my face." <_<

Then she shook her head and said, "Runners. I'll never understand you guys."

:wub: And I just beamed, thinking, "Wow! She called me a runner!" ...then, "Ow. Smiling hurts the road rash on my face." <_<

LOL. Glad you smiled big even if it hurt. That IS cool!! :-)

Okay, I'll admit it: running makes you crazy. My ribs made huge progress healing last week and in the space of a couple of days, I went from walking oh-so-gingerly to being able to run slowly to beating my Turkey Trot 5K time by 4 minutes at Saturday's St Paddy's Day 5K. Apparently, I run for holidays. My half marathon is the day before Easter and the next one is the day after Cinco de Mayo. "The next one?!" they ask, incredulous. See the beginning of this post: running makes you crazy.

It's not so much that I like running, it's that after a lifetime of not being able to do it, I love no longer being a person who can't. And with the scale being stubborn in the face of meds and not-very-many-non-slider-food-options-for-Allergy-Girl, it's something I can do where I feel a bit of victory.

Training hasn't exactly been going as planned, though, since my accident a couple of weeks ago. Surprise, surprise! While I'll still do my Easter half marathon, I figure I'll walk quite a bit of it. A bit bummed about that, a friend I haven't gotten to visit in ages talked me into signing up to do one with her in May in San Francisco that, along with water stations, has stations with tiaras and feather boas -- well, how could I resist? Yup. Running makes you crazy.

Love that you are Running Girl now! Hope you recover quickly from the accident and find some good food you can eat without having allergic reactions... <3

I survived my first half marathon! WOOHOO!!!

We found out late last night that the race was canceled (I'm extremely unimpressed with the organizers) and I was surprised at how upset I was at the news. I had been pretty anxious about the race, and I think suddenly having no outlet for that anxiety, being forced to give up, was just too much. At first, I tried to look at it as an opportunity to heal more from my accident and the flu, but that didn't sit well either. I was prepared for the race, and I was looking forward to having achieved this, and I feared that if I let this opportunity pass me by, I might never do it. (I'm still on the waiting list for my May 6 half marathon.).

So I decided to run my own half marathon. And I did! My GPS app wigged out a bit and teleported me all over the place as I was finishing up, so I don't know my exact time, but it was considerably faster than I expected (not fast, but I think it was about 2:40, well under the 3:30 I wanted to beat and the 3:15 I was expecting). I managed to run the whole way (!!!) and found Pirata's refueling/hydrating advice made a huge difference in my overall performance, both in speed and endurance.

Now all I have to do is buy myself a commemorative shirt and a "medal". There's a Tiffany not too far from here....B) Okay, maybe Tiffany is a little extravagant. :lol:

I say Tiffany blue is the best color for you! What an awesome accomplishment - congratulations!

Congrats, hon... you deserve to treat yourself....

If you collect any of the charms for pandora, chamilia, troll bracelets, maybe they have running shoe charms too? If you do collect any, I'll look around see... (oh, it is so hard to look through all those pretty charmssssss... lol .. such a hardship! LOL)

Awwww, thanks, guys!

I do have a James Avery bracelet -- it may be time to add a running shoe! Great idea! But Kelly, I love the trouble you get me in when you start shopping and sharing ideas, so please feel welcome to shop away and post suggestions! ;) (I blame you indirectly for some fabulous purple boots I now own and adore.)

Two half marathons down and I can say... that might be enough of that! :lol:

It's a great thing to have done and I'm super glad to have my medal (OMG, it's enormous and awesome!) but my joints aren't tickled about the sheer volume of pounding that goes with that mileage, so I'm thinking I'll stick to 5 and 10ks from here on out!

Two half marathons down and I can say... that might be enough of that! :lol:

It's a great thing to have done and I'm super glad to have my medal (OMG, it's enormous and awesome!) but my joints aren't tickled about the sheer volume of pounding that goes with that mileage, so I'm thinking I'll stick to 5 and 10ks from here on out!

Yer a madwoman!! LOLZ. Congrats on the marathons, that is massive! But yeah, I can see it being hard on ye olde skeleton over time. But you're still digging the running overall? And can you eat nowadays? <3

I'm still digging being able to run after a lifetime of believing it to be out of my reach. :)

I can eat a number of foods -- not a large number, but a number greater than, say, 4, which is where I was a few months ago! I'm making progress, slow but sure!