MzPen

Home and Hoping

My surgery was one week ago today and I've been home since Friday. The pain has been manageable - just a little soreness of the abdomen. I think I've done pretty well, keeping track of my liquid and protein, which was out primary assignment upon release. I've been walking, though I overdid it Sunday and paid for it Monday with a painful stitch in my side all day.

Yesterday I had my first follow-up with the surgeon and was disappointed to see the same weight as when I checked into surgery. He explained that they pumped me full of a lot of liquid while I was at the hospital and I'm likely retaining a lot of it. My blood pressure was a little high as well.

Mostly I'm trying to just follow directions and keep my chin up. I'm having to deal with the same old types of aches and pains I did before surgery ... I certainly didn't expect those to magically disappear! I realize they will most likely get better once I lose some of this weight. Still, this is the issue that made exercising so difficult for me, causing me to do most of my workouts in the pool - and now I can't get in the pool for a month!!!

Hope ya'll are doing great!

I am still having the soreness as well in the major incision. I still haven't gotten my staples out and I had mine a couple of days before you! :mellow:

I have lost 7 pounds according to my scale. I need to get a digital one, though, so I can read the numbers better!

How are you handling liquids?

I had my surgery on the 6th and as of yesterday was down 10#s. But I should tell you I also weighed myself when I got home and I had gained weight for the same reason you still weigh the same. I was pumped with lots of fluid and my BP was up and I was retaining water you could see it in my feet and ankles. :blink: I have been walking as well and I still have some pain in my mid section so I am guessing you are right about where you should be. I do not have a post op apt till I am 3 weeks out so at least you have seen someone. I still think it is crazy the difference between the care from one hosp to another.

\

My surgery was one week ago today and I've been home since Friday. The pain has been manageable - just a little soreness of the abdomen. I think I've done pretty well, keeping track of my liquid and protein, which was out primary assignment upon release. I've been walking, though I overdid it Sunday and paid for it Monday with a painful stitch in my side all day.

Yesterday I had my first follow-up with the surgeon and was disappointed to see the same weight as when I checked into surgery. He explained that they pumped me full of a lot of liquid while I was at the hospital and I'm likely retaining a lot of it. My blood pressure was a little high as well.

Mostly I'm trying to just follow directions and keep my chin up. I'm having to deal with the same old types of aches and pains I did before surgery ... I certainly didn't expect those to magically disappear! I realize they will most likely get better once I lose some of this weight. Still, this is the issue that made exercising so difficult for me, causing me to do most of my workouts in the pool - and now I can't get in the pool for a month!!!

Hope ya'll are doing great!

I gained 4 pounds in fluids while I was in the hospital. I entered the hospital at 207 pounds, gained 4 and it took me a week to get those 4 pounds off. However, by the two-week follow-up appointment, I was down to 196 pounds.

Welcome to the loser's bench! Take care!

I gained 6 lbs from when I went in to the hospital on the 8th, to when I came home on the 10th, I have since lost 20 lbs since the day of my surgery