Brooke220

Cola addiction

I'm writing this out of guilt. I know it's critical for me to change bad habits right now, but I have found out I can drink coca cola or RC cola (non diet) without any repercussions.

Of all my food addictions, coke is the one I miss the most. I thought I would just have one a week, but I've been drinking cola or RC every day in small amounts for over a week now. I'm still getting my protein, lots of liquids (water, ice tea w/o sugar, etc) and less than 700 calories a day, but I find myself drinking about 6 to 8 ozs of coke a day. I should try to switch to the diet stuff but nutrasweet bothers me.

So far, it hasn't stopped my weight loss. In fact, I stalled for a couple weeks and then lost 3 lbs after I began drinking the coke. I know that's a coincidence but it leads me to think Coke isn't so bad after all; I was so sure I would dump -- and even hoped I would.

I know, I need to get a handle on this. It just tastes so comforting to me. The question I should be asking is "Why do I need that comfort"?

Any thoughts on this...

<<<ducking to avoid flying tomatoes

I have to admit, I've got an addiction to diet coke, but out of a healthy amount of fear, I've not had more then a sip or two at a time. Have you tried the Coke zero? According to people I know, it tastes exactly like original coke. As far as breaking your addiction. . .one day at a time hun. My father once told me it takes 3 weeks to make or break a habit, good or bad. Just take it slow.

Why do you need the comfort? YOU need to figure it out. There are so many reasons why we "feel we need" vices. Why do you think you need it? On a personal note, when I am stressed, I dont want to eat anything, what I want is a regular, full leaded coke. Its something with the sugar, caffeiene and carbonation that makes me feel good, and virtually soothes me. But guess what happened? I had the "it wont happen to me attitude" and gained 12 pounds from that sort of thinking. If you want optimal results, your gonna HAVE to quit it. Just take those feelings, one minute at a time. I know how difficult it can be.

Why you are doing it? Self Sabatoge. I know those words can feel offensive, but we have a subconcious mind to protect us from the unknown and unclear. Perhaps you are afraid of your own success? What are your fears? Maybe admitting those to the universe might help shed some light.

Just my thoughts, I hope they help.

Giving up pop was one of the hardest things for me about surgery, because I adore pepsi. Good old regular pepsi. And Doctor Pepper. And Mr. Pibb. And oh my god, I want it so bad I could die. BUT I told myself that if I was going to put myself through hell, I wouldn't let myself screw it up with something as silly as pop, which isn't good for you anyhow. I crave it like crazy, but what's keeping me going is that I haven't cheated at all, not once, and that makes me feel good. I haven't drank pop since the fourth of july, and even though sometimes I think I'm going to go insane, I treat it like it's something that I absolutely cannot have, no matter what, even though deep down inside I know I could probably have it if I really wanted it.

I know the one carbonated thing I have not been able to completely give up on is beer, and I've had one or two since surgery, though I know that's not good for me either. I'll probably continue to allow myself to have it every now and then, but I'm trying to not get into too big of a habit with it. I'm keeping pop on the no-go list, though, as long as is humanely possible. I get super irritated only drinking water, but I'm mostly used to it by now. Good luck, and decide for yourself what you need to give up and what you don't, but don't let yourself sabotage you :) Maybe at least try the coke one or switch to diet...

I know that for me, knowing that if I DID drink pop it would probably have to be diet was what made it easy for me to just quit. I HATE diet pop, so I'd rather not have it at all if it can't be regular ;)

Good timing with this question, Brooke. I LOVE coke and wish I could have it back. I've been off it for almost 8 months now, so I'm not going back. I sure do miss it though! :o

I'm writing this out of guilt. I know it's critical for me to change bad habits right now, but I have found out I can drink coca cola or RC cola (non diet) without any repercussions.

Of all my food addictions, coke is the one I miss the most. I thought I would just have one a week, but I've been drinking cola or RC every day in small amounts for over a week now. I'm still getting my protein, lots of liquids (water, ice tea w/o sugar, etc) and less than 700 calories a day, but I find myself drinking about 6 to 8 ozs of coke a day. I should try to switch to the diet stuff but nutrasweet bothers me.

So far, it hasn't stopped my weight loss. In fact, I stalled for a couple weeks and then lost 3 lbs after I began drinking the coke. I know that's a coincidence but it leads me to think Coke isn't so bad after all; I was so sure I would dump -- and even hoped I would.

I know, I need to get a handle on this. It just tastes so comforting to me. The question I should be asking is "Why do I need that comfort"?

Any thoughts on this...

<<<ducking to avoid flying tomatoes

No flying tomatoes....but I do have radishes on hand! :D I'm just wondering first off about your swallowing issues and whether this could be connected because of the carbonation? If not, maybe you could find a diet pop without Nutrasweet. I think some are made with Splenda and maybe still a few with Saccharin. The best alternative would be if you could find a diet one and make a slushie so you don't get the carbonation. Pop has not been a challenge for me, and I drank diet anyhow........my challenge is the empty carbs......mostly like salty type munchies. I just try to do it as little as possible, as low fat as possible, and make sure I eat protein with them. So hopefully you can find some compromise. Good luck. :)

I'm right there with you. I loved my diet cokes. I drank about 6 12 oz. cans of it per day. I quit before surgery July 5,2005. I have taken a sip or two. The bad result that I get is "GAS"! It rolls around in my tummy and makes reallly, really loud noises.

I don't have any good advice for quitting other than "LETS DO IT TOGETHER!"

Maybe knowing that we are all in the same boat will help a little. So far my biggest temptation has been sweets. My kid has been making smores in the fire and we have chocolate bars around. I'm a teacher and they give us chocolate in our boxes sometimes. I have been dabbling in it for about a month now.

I vow to STOP IT write now for at least a week. I challenge you to give it up for a week. I'll check back with you next Monday.

Anyone else up for making a pledge to give up your biggest temptation for a week?

Minime....................I get my disc pics on Wed. I'll put up my pic then, I promise!

I was not addicted to soda. That has made it easy for me to quit completely. From the people that I found that the WLS has not been succesful, it seems the common underlying thing was that they went back to drinking sodas or beer. I would say try to refrain, look at all of the hard work that we went thru to get here, the last thing we want to do is sabotage ourselfs. Just my $0.02s worth.

I do love a Dr. Pepper myself but I have found a solution...Da Vinci Gourmet Flavored Syrup (7.75 for a humongous bottle). They have flavors you never imagined. I bought a B52, Toasted Marshmallow, Chocolate, Eggnog, Root Beer & Cola (I mix the cola & Root Beer together w/water & Ice chips...almost like a slushie. Good Luck!

I have to admit, I still drink soda also. I never drink regular soda or anything that has calories though. Sometimes the occasional OJ. I still think drinking all this diet coke may be stalling my weight loss. It also doesn't help that I'm not exercising at all because of finals and stuff. I know there is no excuse. I would definetly stay away from regular soda though, so many unnecessary calories, carbs and sugar.

All this talk about cola and other sodas brings up a quest that I have been on for the past 2 weeks.

I want a diet coke slurpee. Badly. Every 7-11 I go to, and I have gone to a lot of them in my quest, either has no sugar free, or has the most ungodly concoction of Crystal Lite "peach mango passion", which is so sweet and artificial tasting I worry about poisons in my liver.

I'm doing pretty well otherwise with just drinking water or low cal stuff. But I would buy a sugar free slurpee for whoever can find me a good sugar free slurpee!

Donna

Put this in a blender with ice and milk and you get the most delicious orange cream drink ever. Even my three year old (who is PICKY) downs it like candy. Blenderizing it takes the carbonation out and the result is just good.

Put this in a blender with ice and milk and you get the most delicious orange cream drink ever. Even my three year old (who is PICKY) downs it like candy. Blenderizing it takes the carbonation out and the result is just good.

Mmmmmm, that sounds good! :) Question along that line......has anyone read lately about kids drinking nutrasweet? I let my older kids drink it, but my 9 year old I rarely let. Last I knew they hadn't really tested it on kids.......and she is small for her age with some learning problems and I didn't want to chance it. Life would be so much easier if I knew she could have it and I didn't have to buy her the sugary version of everything I eat.

I once heard an old man say "you will never see me drinking Diet Coke, cause only fat people drink it, must make you fat?" Yep I was a coke a-holic quit smoking ten years ago, don't drink, no drugs, but god I loved my cokes and when I made this decision to have surgery I knew it was time to break the addiction, I mean if I could give up a two pack a day marlboro light habit for 20 years, I could quit cokes? So I looked at it the same way I looked at ciggeretts what did it offer me besides comfort? Lets see - caffeen, ok good for me? no, is an appetite enhancer. Nutritional value? no, packed with an incredible level of sodium, great way to maintain that extra water weight. Carbonation? no, those expanding bubbles are stretching out that pouch so more food will fit in the future. and I drank diet coke religously "just for the taste of it!!!" if I was drinking the leaded stuff I might as well be downing a milky way bar -about the same calories except my body uses a few calories digesting the candy bar - the liquid calories go straight to suger and fat storage. Have strength my friends- give up those carbonated bombs of poor health!!! have a carb free carnation instant breakfast or some koolaid. We want to maintain health and lowered weight- love you guys and thanks for being here it makes this journey so much easyer!!!

The closest thing that I have come to soda since surgery is a trip to the Jelly Belly factory and a few too many "Dr. Pepper" Jelly Bellys. Chase a Dr. Pepper Jelly Belly with a Garlic, Jalapeno or Butter Toast and the consumption of the Jelly Bellys halts pretty quickly. No soda for me. And, no more Jelly Bellys.

Melanie

324/308/210/170

I love an occaisional Diet Coke as a pre-op gal, but stopped drinking regular Coke and other regular sodas when I heard of all the things you can do with Coca Cola:

1. Clean a toilet with Coke

2. Remove stains from vitreous china

3. Use Coke and a ball of aluminum foil for rust on chrome

4. Clean corrosion from car battery terminals

5. Use a Coke-soaked cloth to loosen a rusted bolt

6. Use a can of Coke in a load of greasy laundry

7. Hazardous materials signs are required on trucks carrying Coke concentrate.

These are unproven as of yet, but are what some say are the miracles of Coke:

1. The highway patrol carrying Coke to clean up blood at car accidents.

2. A t-bone steak will be eaten away by Coke in two days

3. Dissolve a nail in 4 days in Coke

I am not sure about all of you, but if I am going to go to the trouble of having this surgery, I am going to protect and defend my pouch friend for life, and drinking Coke just doesn't seem to be the best way to help it...:)

I think drinking diet cola's isn't too bad.. its just water with carbonation and some flavor.. no sugar, no calories.. i drink diet 7up with no caffein or anything in it.. or diet sierra mist free... the thing thats bad about diet colas is the caffeine its somthing that makes you hungrier faster i guess.. so i stick with NO everything diet stuff.. and diet 7up now comes made with splenda.. so its great.. true they say no carbonation but some doctors say go ahead after your stomach is healed up.. no facts that it stretches your tummy or anything.. in fact sierra mist and 7up make my tummy feel nice... doesnt seem there is a TON of carbonation in those 2 types of diet sodas so i enjoy them.. ive lost quite a bit of weight and I really don't think diet sodas are effecting me any..

Yes, yes, it is me, back again. Don't faint Bridget!

Before surgery I drank 1-2 diet Mountain Dews per day (down from only the Lord knows how many). The rest of the time I drank water. After surgery I did pretty good, no desire for the cokes.....till I was about 9 months out. That is when I went home for a short visit. I took a bottle of water for the airplane, but it only lasted as far as the stopover in Denver....and I still had to get to Nashville. Ended up getting a diet coke, only because I still can't drink plain water and they had no Propel. Handled it well, but then, I let the fizz go flat before drinking much of it. Since then I will have a few sips of soda if I am eating out somewhere, but I am trying to be good. Okay, so I don't drink coffee, don't smoke, don't drink........I guess I have to have one bad habit! Lol!

Ouch!!! That tomato hurt!!! Okay, okay, I will give up my sips of cokes before the wedding. There, that oughta buy me a few months.....or years. <grin>

OOO, on another note, I got accused of stealing someone else's ID today. Got asked for ID on a purchase I was making and the cashier could not believe that the person in the picture was me a year ago! Good thing my pastor was in the store and picked that moment to come up to say hello to me!

Okay, okay, I will give up my sips of cokes before the wedding. There, that oughta buy me a few months.....or years. <grin>
Tricia:

It's sooooo great to see you post again! We've missed you. Hey, what's the deal about a wedding? Your son's? Yours? Do tell!

Dara!!

Congrats on the goal gal!! You look great! The wedding? Mine! No date set yet.

Tricia:

Thanks, kiddo, about the goal. Now's the hard part...maintaining! LOL

Hey, you can't just spring this wedding thing on us! You gotta give us some kind of details, girl! What gives?!?

(Sorry, Brooke, about the hijack)

Dara,

Awwwwww, darn. Okay, 7 years ago I split with the hubby, an abusive sort I am glad to be away from. I put my resume online and got a job offer here. GULP. Big move for this Tennessee gal who had no family here and only one friend, an ex-sailor I had been pen pals with for a few years. Well, I leaped feet first and moved out here (drove actually....that is a story in and of itself) and finally met my pen pal. Love at first sight? No, but it wasn't hate either. We were just really great friends. He helped me a lot and I helped him too. He was my buddy through the surgery and has been my staunchest supporter. Well, over a month ago his sister took him to lunch and well, took him to task. She told him that the only two who didn't know we were meant to be together was us and to get over it and marry me before I found someone else (okay I wasn't looking). Well, he and I talked, and talked and talked and talked some more. She did manage to open his eyes to his true feelings and that is a good thing.....I think. I already knew my feelings, but hid them. Now to get him over the Catholic "once you are divorced that is it" mentality the Catholics drilled into him as a boy. No, he is not Catholic now. He is trying to quit smoking (January 2nd is the goal date) as he wants to be smoke free before he marries me. Awwwww. Then we are supposed to do pre-marital counseling for 2-3 months. So, maybe in April when my son comes home before he deploys for Iraq? I want him to give me away.

So, maybe in April when my son comes home before he deploys for Iraq? I want him to give me away.
Well, Tricia, that is just the COOLEST thing since sliced bread!! When you mentioned the wedding plans were yours, I thought it might be the "friend" you've mentioned before. I'm so happy for you! Don't forget to let us know about the details when you decide them. Congratulations, dear girl, you've DEFINITELY been busy!