cmykphoto

HELP!! Gained significant weight back!

Hi everyone!!

I have not been on the forums in a long time. I apologize for my absence :(

I need serious help. I have gained a lot of my weight back. It's horrible :( My Dr had me get upper GI done to see if my pouch has expanded. It has not! But, I am able to eat larger meals then I used to. I know I have a grazing problem and have been working on that big time for a long while. But, no weight loss.

Also, I am not exercising :(

So, my question is this: Aside from getting back into a serious exercise plan what kind of FOOD plan should I use. I need structure so if I can follow a specific program. I thought I heard that the South Beach diet is good for weight gain after RNY.

Any advice or opinions on a structured eating plan? I feel desperate and am mortified I have regained so much weight :(

Thanks everyone,

Karla

Welcome back to TT, as I was told by the psychiatrist who did my eval, if you don't ever admit you have a problem and are gaining the weight back, you can't get help. So you've truly made the first steps in getting the weight back off and that's a step so very few people make, you should commend yourself for doing so! WLS isn't a fix all for weight loss, it doesn't change how our minds work and as we all know, most of us have food addictions. Our pouches are a tool we use towards beating the obesity demon but it isn't something that simply changes it all for us, as you are finding out. We really have to wrap our mind's around the mental side of it as well otherwise, any of us can end up gaining weight back.

As far as grazing, the psychiatrist who did my psych eval gave me a great recommendation...he said to acknowledge your habits out loud to yourself. He said you can't recognize and change a problem if you aren't acknowledging it first..so if you go to eat..say out loud, "I do not need this _____" Maybe it's a cracker, chip, strawberry, whatever you are grazing on..when you go to eat it..if it's not for hunger..tell yourself you do not need it before you eat it. You need to mentally acknowledge it. He said the more and more you do this, the slowly you'll start to then just put the food down..saying it out loud makes you realize enough times that it needs to stop.

As for a structured diet, I've heard many say to get back into the pouch basics. Dieting didn't work in the past for most of us, that is why we had this surgery..because dieting wasn't our friend and we weren't successful with it. I'd hesitate to encourage you to go to any diet plan. I'd suggest you go back to your basics..measure your food out, weigh your food, get back into portions (1/4-1/2 cup at meals), focus on your lean protein first, then your non-starchy vegetables, your fruit if you have any and then lastly any carbohydrates but mainly, you shouldn't need many if any at all. Focus on foods that are rich in protein like meal replacement drinks, whey protein, tofu, fish, shrimp, peanut butter, Greek yogurt..any of the lean proteins that you find your pouch can handle. I'd say almost treat it as if you are back in year one and you're afraid you could dump, you can't eat much, you need the protein in your body, you don't need the carbs, etc. Also make sure you are getting all your fluids and turn your in between meal snacking to things like SF jello, SF popsicles, etc.

I hope that helps! I really wish you luck!!!

Edited by NewMeNow2010

Stop and review yourself. You know your bad habits, and now its time to turn it around. What did you do that first year after surgery?? Try to do that again. Log and measure your meals, limit your calories, drink your liquids and get your protein. You know what to do, you just have to do it! Remember that your pouch is a tool and it will work again!

Look up the 5 day pouch test. It's worked for a lot of people who need to get back on track.

I know many don't like the idea of 'dieting' post WLS... but in truth, the tool only will get us so far and for *some* of us... we do have to continue to eat in a way that harkens back to dieting before WLS. For me, I feel like the surgery itself means I can now do so more successfully than I ever did in the past. I have to diet strenuously to keep from regaining though. I've learned in the last year that even a few extra calories a day means huge gains. I mean.. as little as 50 extra calories over a two/three days adds a pound. I clearly do not burn my calories the way most people do (and this has been confirmed medically).. so I have to be so, so strict. You may be one of those types as well.

I have to be strict not only with my food & drink choices but with my physical fitness as well. A year at the gym has not made a lick of difference in my weight in the downwards direction but missing more than a couple of days in a row does show an upwards projection so I know it is something I will need to do for the rest of my life. You may be one of these types as well.

So what this means for me, and maybe you is.. there is a need to be extremely vigilant at all times. Plan plan plan. Plan your meals, plan your vitamins and supplements, if you're drinking calories, they cannot be ignored but have to be included in the plan. Plan your activity. levels.

If you find you are grazing, you might need to start making your plan to include smaller but more frequent meals... keep your calories within whatever YOUR body needs (and that varies on the person)... and just spread them out throughout the day. If you're just eating/grazing because your bored... make it in your plan to do something specific when you find yourself opening the cupboards or fridge. I have this conversation I say to myself -out loud-when I get 'snacky'.... "Kelly- do you really want to eat or are you bored? Do you really want to weigh 317 lbs again? Is eating this within today's plan?" Get a couple of 'safe' treats- mine in the spring/summer and SF popsicles. I also portion out little bags of sunflower seeds, almonds, cheese cubes and as long as they fit within my plan for the day, I'm good.

You're far out enough now that you could be eating more fruits and veggies too. I've found fruits & veggies the best at keeping hunger at bay if it's actual hunger you're dealing with. Of course, include them in your plan.

As for South Beach- I think it's a fantastic way of eating for long term post ops and I also think it's a great way to eat early out with modifications and one that's great for families... food you can make that is WLS friendly but also just 'healthy living friendly' for pretty much anyone. My favorite recipe blog is SB specific: Kalyn's Kitchen .

Hi Karia, Congratulations on reaching out for help. It's never too late. I've been a grazer but am trying to not allow it anymore. I hopefully am creating a new habit, leaving that one in the dust.

The gals have given you fantastic help. I really liked their answers. I haven't had my surgery yet but your reaching out here will help me to remember NOT TO GRAZE. I have lost 17 pounds the past 7 weeks during my 10 week weight management training. I'm also watching my portions and fewer carbs. It's working.

The key is making a plan and working the plan with no exceptions. I wish you success and will look forward to seeing you more here and getting those yucky unwanted pounds off....

Hi Karia. I was in the same boat as you in January. My story can be found here:

I didn't follow any particular plan to get started. I just ate 4 oz of lean meat, 2 servings of veggies or pieces of fruit, & drank half of my weight in water. I removed all fast foods from my diet. Only allowing a 6" subway sub if I got stuck out shopping. I removed can goods from my diet so I only eat frozen or fresh veggies so that I could lower my sodium intake. I also don't eat any processed meat unless I eat a subway sub. I have a whey isolate protein drink I consume after I strength train. No sodas. Not even diet. I drink water and Trop 50 juices. I make smoothies from frozen fruits and crush ice. I eat 0% greek yogurt mixed with fresh fruit, a sweetner like splenda, heavy whipping cream and vanilla flavoring for a snack. I also eat melted peanut butter on bananas or apples for a snack....or just plain old peanut butter and celery.

I exercised daily when I first got back into the swing of things. I love Zumba and I would get on the treadmill. If you strength train with heavy weights at lower reps you will find that you will cut into your fat deposits quickly. A awesome book to read is "A New Rule of Lifting for Women". Its very entertaining as well as informative. Whatever exercising you do just keep it fresh so you won't get bored. Keep it fun.

With all that said the most important thing to do and I think you have already come to realize this is to work on yourself...your thinking. You have to find out the why's to the reason you sabatoge yourself and then put into play things to help deter those problems from getting at you. Its a daily struggle but you have to be actively working towards keeping yourself focus daily. I still do it. Its gotten easier but I still have my moments. I have to shut that voice in the back of my mind down daily because its always there lurking...telling me what I can't do. Well I guess I've proven it wrong so far but that doesn't stop it.

Just be actively committed to accomplishing your goal. Remember everyday is a new day. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow isn't promise. Focus on today. How can I eat healthy today? What exercise can I get in today? How can I control my inner thoughts today? You have 24 hours to try to make the right choices for you. Thats all that matters. When today becomes yesterday then make sure you learn from what you did right and from your stumbles. Try to make the day you are in better.

I wish you the best.

thanks to everyone who replied to this post - I got a lot out of it!