Matthew

I changed my mind from bypass to sleeve!!!! I'm even more excited than before!!!!!!!!!

I called my insurance this morning and was just asking some questions about my deductible and stuff but before I hung up I asked one more question.... I asked if the gastric sleeve was covered under my plan I have BCBS OK PPO and the lady took about 5mins then she got back on the line and said YES!!!!!!!!!!! it was!!!!!!!! I had a meeting with my excursise person at the facility I'm having the operation done at... it's only my second one so I told them I would like to go ahead and change it to the sleeve they were like ok that's fine... I asked what my cost would be and my patient advocate said 132.00 for the surgery and 66.00 for the assistant... I was blown away I couldn't believe it I knew I had good insurance but I was shocked by that amount lol in a good way!!!! so I've been doing research ever since I got

home and I'm getting more and more happy about my decision hopefully in 6 months I will be in surgery and on my way to a healthier happier life YAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on your decision. I wish you the best. YAY for good insurance.

You will not regret your decision. I wish my BCBS of Texas would have paid for mine. i am happy for you. Tell us when you are going to have it and keep us informed of your progress.

You will not regret your decision. I wish my BCBS of Texas would have paid for mine. i am happy for you. Tell us when you are going to have it and keep us informed of your progress.

I too was just considering changing my mind to the gastric sleeve..I have my evaluation with my dr next tues..what is the best part of the sleeve in your opinion?

I too was just considering changing my mind to the gastric sleeve..I have my evaluation with my dr next tues..what is the best part of the sleeve in your opinion?

The biggest factors for my decision were

1. after 1 to 2yrs the weight loss is about the same as with the bypass.

2. no rerouting of the intestine.

3. No dumping in most individuals

4. it's restrictive and not a malabsorbrion procedure

5. there done in less than 45mins most time that what my doc say anyway.

6. this one is just for me but it's half the price at my place than the bypass

Congrats, the sleeve is really great so far for me. If it weren't for VSG, I never would have had WLS at all, so I am very glad I learned about it.

Hey Matthew! I also just changed my decision on the bypass to the sleeve.. like a week ago! My surgery is in 7 days!!! Im so excited that I ended up changing. Good luck on everything =)

Hey Matthew! I also just changed my decision on the bypass to the sleeve.. like a week ago! My surgery is in 7 days!!! Im so excited that I ended up changing. Good luck on everything =)

Congrats!!!!! and good luck 7 days that's awsome I'm still at the begining of everything so

I have 5 months of diet left lol... but Nov is right around the corner lol keep me posted on everything good luck

Great! My hubby had the bypass, and I had the sleeve. I know some of the things he went through so I am glad I choose this one. He had several of the side effects that I have not had to deal with, such as frothing, hair loss, dumping, and I havent had to deal with those things (so far anyway). He had more to lose than I do, so our surgeon felt the bypass was his best choice. He did not have the option tho cause my insurance just started covering the sleeve this year. I have had great results so far, I am 40% to my goal, and I am 3 mths out from surgery. Good Luck! Just remember its a tool , not a quick fix! and like any tool its only as good as the one using the tool! I have seen many post op people who did not continue the life style change and gained the weight back years later. It can happen if you arent rock solid in your committment. That being said I think its the best decision my husband and I ever made!

That's grat that it's covered! Both were covered through mine too and once I made the decision to go sleeve I never looked back.

The biggest factors for my decision were

1. after 1 to 2yrs the weight loss is about the same as with the bypass.

2. no rerouting of the intestine.

3. No dumping in most individuals

4. it's restrictive and not a malabsorbrion procedure

5. there done in less than 45mins most time that what my doc say anyway.

6. this one is just for me but it's half the price at my place than the bypass

Me too, dumping might have been a good thing around now and through the rest of the honeymoon phase but I don't have to worry about dumping when I'm leading my "normal" life in 10, 20, 30 years

Excellent Matthew!!! I had the VSG on Sept 15th and it was the BEST decision I've ever made. I've lost 75 Lbs since surgery, 133 total, hit Onederland last month, fitted into my goal jeans last week and I STILL have 32 Lbs to goal... LOL :) Bought some Size 4 goal jeans now, same cut/style. The 8's will surely be too big by then. Let us know how you're doing!!!

Matthew,

I realize this is an older thread, but I dont get here as often as I used to. I am an old sleever. I would vote that you should add one more significant difference between gatric bypass and the sleeve and that is much fewer (if any) side effects or complications. The complications I have heard of were either reflux-just a handful of folks-or surgical complications but that were not sleeve specific but simply surgical complications.

Hope all is well with your journey.

I too am thinking about having sleeve vs the bypass. Your stats on the left seem great. How are things still going for you now? I'm just concerned long term with the sleeve.

Lots of studies are in now on more long term data with the sleeve. It is comparable with GBP. Dee has a whole bunch of info on that.....oh, Deeeeeeeeee. POst it again, hun, wouldja?

Lots of studies are in now on more long term data with the sleeve. It is comparable with GBP. Dee has a whole bunch of info on that.....oh, Deeeeeeeeee. POst it again, hun, wouldja?

LOL...I'd love to take credit, but Dr Callery posted it -- it's pinned at the top of the Ask Dr Callery Forum, and here's a link to it as well. :)