MiladyB

Sclerotherapy

Well I have gotten scheduled to have Sclerotherapy in a few weeks. I've decided it was time to take the plunge. I'm 5 1/2 years post-op. I've been able to maintain my weight loss but the pounds are starting to creep back on a little at a time. I've been scoped several times over the past couple of years so I know that my stoma has stretched some. I'm finding that I don't stay full for as long and I can eat a lot more food so I think it's time before it becomes a problem.

It's going to be interesting to see how it affects me. I know several people who have had it and most are happy they decided to. They feel it certainly helped them to get their eating back under control.

I'll let you all know how it goes. It's scheduled for June 9. :D

Good luck, Beth! If I could find a way to get it, it's definitely something I'd like to try too. Keep us posted!

Good luck, Beth! If I could find a way to get it, it's definitely something I'd like to try too. Keep us posted!

I will Kel. So aren't there any doctors around you who do it? or is it an insurance issue, with you? My insurance will be paying for it except for the additional appointments. The practice requires appointments with the bahaviorist, exercise physiologist and the nutritionist. Also an appointment with the surgeon. Dr Baker is actually letting me bypass all these appointments. He feels that I know what I am supposed to be doing and that I am still following the recommendations of the practice. He's correct. :D

Well I have gotten scheduled to have Sclerotherapy in a few weeks. I've decided it was time to take the plunge. I'm 5 1/2 years post-op. I've been able to maintain my weight loss but the pounds are starting to creep back on a little at a time. I've been scoped several times over the past couple of years so I know that my stoma has stretched some. I'm finding that I don't stay full for as long and I can eat a lot more food so I think it's time before it becomes a problem.

It's going to be interesting to see how it affects me. I know several people who have had it and most are happy they decided to. They feel it certainly helped them to get their eating back under control.

I'll let you all know how it goes. It's scheduled for June 9. :D

Dear Beth

I wish you all the best, but could you explain what is sclerotherapy, related to WSL?

Interesting is that the continuous increase of weight since last December is not consider as an issue by my physicians, but said it is rather a "cosmetic" problem. I try to explain that it can turn back to health issue, but they strongly recommend me to follow up with a dietetician, and reduce my quantity... nicely said, more difficult to do it. Let us know which are your measures...... and the battle continue

Marine,

Scelorotherapy is done during a scope. The doctor simply injects a scarring agent around the stoma. This agent forms scars that will make the opening smaller, as a result food will stay in your pouch longer keeping you satisfied for a longer period of time. It also should decrease the amount of food you can eat. If the stoma is too stretched it will require more than one session of Sclerotherapy. Essentially it is a procedure to help you get back in control. My surgeon requires appointments with a nutritionist, behaviorist and exercise physiologist to help you get back on track.

My son has had crohns disease since he was 12. Sometimes I feel like that's what gastric bypass does...gives us crohns. We can't absorb nutrients well, reroute our intestines, chronic diarrhea, etc. The only thing we don't have is intestines attacking themselves and scaring build up but that sounds kind of like this. I do feel bad. We've been fighting for 8 years to save his intestines - he's had about 11 inches removed - and here I am messing up my intestines. Too bad they can't transplant some of my bypassed intestines to him. :(

Edited by tfinster

Well I had the Sclerotherapy done yesterday. I had a bit of nausea and pain right when I woke up but after a dose of Morphine and Zofran I was feeling much better. Today I'm just a little sore but not too bad. My surgeon said that my anastamosis was about 17mm. The optimal size is 12-15mm. So it wasn't extremely stretched out. I have a follow-up appointment in 6 weeks so it will be interesting to see how this effects my weight loss. I'm hoping it will help me get the 15lbs off that I have put on. It will take a few weeks for the opening to scar down to a smaller size.

If anyone is interested in learning more about Sclerotherapy, let me know. I'm happy to answer any questions.

Im glad you are doing well. I am definitely interested to see how the next six weeks go and what the follow-up will be like. Good luck :D

Yeah this is interesting.. I never knew about this procedure. I'm sure I am overly stretched at this point, I am eating like a cow lately. However, not going under the knife anytime soon... Is it done kind of like a normal scope to stretch the opening or what?

Yeah this is interesting.. I never knew about this procedure. I'm sure I am overly stretched at this point, I am eating like a cow lately. However, not going under the knife anytime soon... Is it done kind of like a normal scope to stretch the opening or what?

Yes, it is done during a normal scope. The doctor injects a scarring agent around the opening so that it scars down to a smaller size. It wasn't bad at all. I used Lortab a couple times a day over the first 48hrs and that was it. I'm beginning to notice that I am getting full faster than before and that I am staying satisfied longer. Depending on how the next 6 weeks goes I may have to have it done more than once. I know my surgeon sometimes will do it a total of 3 times.

I know that our Wick had it done a while back but I don't know the details:

Hi

I'm scheduled to have my sclerotherapy on 7/18/11. I'm nervous but excited. I'll keep you updated.

Hi Beth!

It's been a long time since I've been out here. Glad you were able to do the Sclerotherapy. I hope it helps. It helped me for quite a while, now I'm thinking I might need it again. Same ole' same ole'. Put a few pounds on too and back to eatting much more than I use to. Saturday (7/23/2011) will be my 9 year anniversary of WLS. Still glad I had it done! Hope all goes well for you.

Sharon

Beth, I'm having sclerotherapy next thursday....did you feel anything like you did after your first wls? I'm being told 3rd surgeries really make it work on a more permanent basis...I'm nervous, as I've got 50 lbs to go. Any advice....?

Hi Beth!

It's been a long time since I've been out here. Glad you were able to do the Sclerotherapy. I hope it helps. It helped me for quite a while, now I'm thinking I might need it again. Same ole' same ole'. Put a few pounds on too and back to eatting much more than I use to. Saturday (7/23/2011) will be my 9 year anniversary of WLS. Still glad I had it done! Hope all goes well for you.

Sharon

SHARON!!! So good to see you! I've thought of you and wondered how things were going in your life.

Well I'm not feeling quite the restriction that I was hoping for. I have lost 7 pounds though. I had my follow-up appointment a couple weeks ago and Dr Baker feels it would be worth doing it again. He says at 18mm he always does it a second time. I was 16-17mm so he felt it would be worth doing it a second time. I was noticing a difference for several weeks but lately the restriction isn't quite as much. I am losing though which I am glad. Glad to see the scale going down. So we'll see how round 2 goes.

Hi....

How has it been up to now?

I am almost 3years out but have had medical issues and I am taking meds know to put on weight .

My questions to you are: Did your insurance cover it? are you getting a second one to improve stricture?

Thanks

Pilar

Hi....

How has it been up to now?

I am almost 3years out but have had medical issues and I am taking meds know to put on weight .

My questions to you are: Did your insurance cover it? are you getting a second one to improve stricture?

Thanks

Pilar

First off, yes, insurance did cover it. Since my first posting I have had a third course of Sclerotherapy. I did it to improve restriction and to help control some weight gain. I felt little change the first time. Second time there was a bit more but my surgeon and I decided it was worth doing it again. He said every patient has their own "sweet spot". Some people do better with a smaller opening and some do better with one a bit larger. I had it done 2 weeks ago and have noticed a significant change this time around. I'm actually struggling a bit with more dense foods. I have managed to lose 7 pounds in the last 2 weeks. I hope to lose about 10-12 more.

Helloooo! Remember me?

I'm 3.5 years out and never made it to Onederland

:-(

I feel like such a failure.... Bound to be big forever...even with the amazing opportunity of WLS!

No regrets -other than. I'm such a food junkie!