SissyT

Two years out... how much can you eat in a sitting?

I am 27 months out from RNY gastric bypass surgery, and I am curious as to how much everyone can eat at this stage. I can eat most of a whopper jr, just to give you an idea then I start to feel full. Is this still normal for this far out. I am 128 lbs and constantly fighting to keep weight on and I am a very active person. I mountain bike and exercise at Curves occasionally. Should I be able to eat more than I do at a sitting.

I eat between 5 and 7 bites of food per meal - I am 21 Months out

I'm just over 3 1/2 years out and I've stuck with the programme on measuring/weighing my foods. Not the veg and fruit but definately the dense proteins, cheese and other high fat foods.

It's usually 2-3oz of fish/shrimp (I don't eat meat) and as much veg/salad/fruit as I want and I pretty munch on the raw stuff throughout the day anyway.

Left to my own devices, I'm sure I'd have exceeded the guidelines on quantity.

I'm just over 3 1/2 years out and I've stuck with the programme on measuring/weighing my foods. Not the veg and fruit but definately the dense proteins, cheese and other high fat foods.

It's usually 2-3oz of fish/shrimp (I don't eat meat) and as much veg/salad/fruit as I want and I pretty munch on the raw stuff throughout the day anyway.

Left to my own devices, I'm sure I'd have exceeded the guidelines on quantity.

I agree with you 100%. I never worry about stretching my new stomach because I also weigh/measure everything. I am 15 months out and I weigh 3 ozs. protein (ex. chicken, shrimp, steak, crab) and measure 1/2 cup (ex. chili). I do not eat bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, processsed foods or sugar (anything over 7 grams). Fruit and vegetables I will eat a bit more than 1/2 cup.

Hey sissy It all depends some days I have eaten almost the hole small hamburger and other times can't even get half down but I am eating more then I use to but my weight hasn't change in over a year still floating between 140-145

Well my Dr has put me on a eat anything you want diet due to the amount of exercise I get. He is making me eat high fat and high carb foods because I need the higher calories. Anyone else have to eat like this?

I'm almost 2 yrs out (1.5 yrs to be exact) and I don't weigh food at all. My pouch does a very good job of letting me know when I'm done. Sometimes I can eat more, sometimes less. I've been lucky I suppose because I can eat any protein without problem. Steak, chicken, pork you name it. I don't think I would enjoy weighing my food for every meal to be honest. And as long as I focus on what's right for me, (protein, veg etc) my "tool" tells me when to stop.

I am at almost 6 years out and I can still only hold a little less than half a cup of anything. There was a time, a couple years back, that I was able to hold about a full cup of food but that didn't last very long at all for some reason.

I'm out 1 yr and 8 mts and have kept weight off (went from size 26 to and 8)will be 2yrs in november** fluctuating between 145-150... I do eat little more but depends on what I’m eating...if i eat beef i can eat less of it, if i eat soft foods will eat lot more of it.. I continue to work out about 3times a week nothing too extreme just moderate... i did recently take up Zumba- which i find very exciting... i try to stay away from pizza pasta and breads... Over very satisfied!!! :lol:

Im almost 3 yrs out this december, and I can eat almost anything i want except for "high" sugar foods. A cookie ok yeah but a few ..definitely not. Meat a few bites and normally im full. Protein shakes im doing great just takes forever for me to drink them. I normally have a kids meal at fast food restaurants -drink(since we cant while eating) and I may leave a nugget or 1/2 fries leftover. But it's not much $$ wasted right..lol I havent gained at all except for post (gall bladder/hernia repair surgery weight). Ive lost that 10 lbs and back to 130ish now. Im just trying to stay healthy and to eat right but still be happy.

I am a year and a half out and I can eat about a cup if food in a sitting. I don't really measure. I just made a full size chicken quesadilla in a regular quesadilla maker with roasted chicken, mexican blend cheese and 2 tortillas and I could only eat half....which is about a cup. I can eat almost an entire bag of smart pop popcorn. I can eat a whole banana with PB2. It just depends on what I'm eating. Sometimes I think I am able to eat way too much.

Darn, I wish I was like all of you.

I'm just under 2.5 years out, and I can easily eat a full meal like any person who hasn't had gastric bypass (salad, bread, main course, two side dishes).

I can't stuff a seemingly unlimited amount like I used to, but if I don't limit myself intentionally, I'm sure I eat at least 3 cups.

I've had some weight regain, and the main reason it hasn't been more is that I count calories and I go dancing A LOT.

A cup is about the right amount most can eat once the pouch settles into it's final size. As others have mentioned, sometimes two bite and I'm full, other times, I can eat a whole Whopper Jr. I ate a whole 7 course meal once....it just took 2 hours!

I've been scoped twice, once at 4 years and last year...my pouch is the same size. I don't measure at all. I let my pouch and my experience now of what normal is, guide me.

Much different than when I could eat a whole pizza by myself

I am 27 months out from RNY gastric bypass surgery, and I am curious as to how much everyone can eat at this stage. I can eat most of a whopper jr, just to give you an idea then I start to feel full. Is this still normal for this far out. I am 128 lbs and constantly fighting to keep weight on and I am a very active person. I mountain bike and exercise at Curves occasionally. Should I be able to eat more than I do at a sitting.

I can eat a McDonald's Snack Wrap and I'm full. I don't know if this will help. I am 23 months out and am 4 lbs heavier than my lowest weight.

Have you done a cottage cheese test to see how many ounces you can eat?

I could probably eat most of a whopper junior too, but I wouldn't feel weel afterward. If I do a fast food meal, it's usually a kid's cheeseburger and then I'm done. I don't care for fries much anyway, but I don't have room for a side after a burger. On the other hand, I can eat seemingly endless quantities of some carb heavy foods. I just need to avoid those entirely. Ice cream is a huge no-no.

I will be two years out on June 21st and I am lucky if I get down 1/2 cup per meal. I have never tried more, always cautious of portions.

Almost 20 months out- Like all the others, it just depends on what the food is.....steak for me is probably 3-4 ounces max and nothing else that meal. If I add green beans or salad, then I can only eat about 2 ounces of the steak.

A packet of Reduced sugar oatmeal with Splenda and Lactaid milk is way over a cup, but that includes the milk.

I have to be careful, though- my sweet hubby fixed me a one-egg ham and cheese omelet which probably weighed 12 ounces (I'm not sure how weight calibrates with pouch volume, though)- he just wanted me to have LOTS of protein, LOL!

Nancy

I just ate lunch. I had 3 ounces of chicken and less than 15 grapes and I can't eat another bite. I've still got 7 or 8 grapes in the bowl, but I know if I eat them I'll be sick or hurting. I have found that if I eat what looks like about the right amount of food, even if I'm still hungry, I'm not 20 minutes later. It takes the bod a little while to figure out what's what. Conversely, If I overdo it I don't always feel bad right away, but 20 minutes later I'm paying the price. Err on the side of safety.

I am over 2 years out. My doc gave me the "eat anything diet" because I couldnt stop loosing. Of course that has now led to me putting back on a few pounds. I have 10 I want to get rid of, so back to a good eating plan. Doing the 5 day pouch test now to detox the carbs. I still have trouble with dry fish and chicken. I can eat about 3 or 4 bites of steak. I can not eat anything at mcdonals except the parfaits which is very disappointing to my 10 year old. I can however, eat half a jr whopper at BK. slider foods go down easily but drier foods do not. Still at about 3/4 to 1 cup at a time.

I'm 26 months post op, and I am able to eat varying amounts of food. Some days, I can eat a Jr. Bacon Cheese Burger and a few fries. Some days, I literally eat 2 bites, and I'm stuffed. I find that it really depends on what I'm eatting.

I wish protein shakes kept me full longer! They seems to wash right out even without drinking with it.

When it comes to protein, (beef, chicken, pork) no more than 3 ounces and I am full! However the bad foods seem to go down well. I try to make sure I always eat my protein first and then the potatoes or whatever. That usually means one to three fries, a bite or two of mashed potaotes, etc. Dessert for some reason never causes a problem. Bread same thing. I love carbs and have to be really careful. I d my best to limit them to the morning when my pouch is small and tight. In the evening boy, I can eat a lot of them. I'm doing well though, a few slips now and then. I still can't finish even a McDonald's hamburger. For some reason burgers which were my favorite food are now kind of a yuck for me. Even "In n' out"!!!

Danr - Like you I could eat 3 cups, at least 2. I read how little everyone else eats and wonder if my pouch is stretched. I feel guilty. I'm going to do the 5 day pouch test. I have not gained any weight but I have gained inches and have saddle bags now. Skinny jeans look awful these days on me. My biggest 2 issues are 1. I have not had the sweets issue that most bypass patients have. I did NOT work my way up to this. It just has always been that way. My doc said it happens. I can't eat a whole pc of cake or anything. That will make me sick. But a small bag of M&Ms I can eat but I try not to. 2. eating at night. it's like i'm an addict. i can't stop even when i am full. i am sure this is what it feels like to a drug addict. it's overwhelming and won't stop. it started when i quit smoking 5 wks ago. i hope it stops b/c this WILL put on weight. Sometimes i HAVE to have a certain food. i cannot resist it. I am going to start seeing a counselor b/c my eating issues are clearly back. i am just wondering how i can curb this nighttime eating. i am hoping the 5 dpt will get rid of the cravings for sweets and carbs. b/c this just plain sux and i have no one to blame but me. i was so concentrated on the emotional issues of bypass that i never stuck to measureing. don't own a scale but you can bet i'm buying one this weekend. it's never too late right?

ps. i have heard that stretching out your pouch is untrue but i am thinking i have. scared about that....