Sign in to follow this  
slguillory

4 weeks post op have pain in lower left side

Mr. Callery,

This is my 1st week back to work since surgery, seemed to be doing well but started having this pain in left side of stomach cant bend over or lean to left without it hurting!! is this just because i haven't given myself enough time to heal or something more serious??

Shirley

Mr. Callery,

This is my 1st week back to work since surgery, seemed to be doing well but started having this pain in left side of stomach cant bend over or lean to left without it hurting!! is this just because i haven't given myself enough time to heal or something more serious??

Shirley

It takes about 4 - 6 weeks for your muscles to heal enough for most activities. We suggest that our patients wait six weeks before doing any heavy lifting. Sometimes people strain their incisions by lifting too much too soon or by making a wrong move by mistake. But if you're having new pain and you are worried, you should check back with your surgeon or family doctor. It wouldn't be doing you a service to speculate on the cause of your pain over the Net.

what meds can you take for pain?

what meds can you take for pain?

Best to ask your surgeon. In our practice we use Tylenol or Lortab (Tylenol plus a mild narcotic). In general we do not use NSAIDs like ibuprofen (Advil) for more than a couple of doses at most. NSAIDs may cause bleeding from staple lines or elsewhere and may lead to ulcers of the jejunum next to the stomach jejunum anastomosis (connection).