at1983

Throwing up...

Does anyone still throw up a lot? I throw up almost every day, sometimes several times a day. I am on the "adaptive soft foods" portion of my diet for the next three months until my next appointment. I'm supposed to be able to incorporate cooked veggies, tuna, fish, meat, chicken, rice, pasta, etc. soft type foods. None of these sit well on my stomach AT ALL. I pretty much have been living on cottage cheese, greek yogurt, liquids, and pureed Gerber baby food which is what I was eating during my pureed stage. Occasionally, I try (usually one meal a day) to incorporate something new from the list they gave me but it always comes back up either immediately or HOURS (last night it was six hours after I had eaten and I threw everything up, you'd think it would be through my stomach by then?). It always looks/tastes the same way it went in too, I don't have any of that acidic taste of bile and the food doesn't look like my body has broken it down or anything, it just looks like chewed up food. I've been getting paranoid about it after reading all of the posts on here about strictures and ulcers and revisions. I'm not sure if I should call my surgeon or not, I don't see her again until the end of June. On the other hand, I try to tell myself that maybe I am just healing a lot slower because I have a lot of immune deficiencies and autoimmune diseases. But it seems like I am not progressing at all, I'm stuck on the pureed stage and even then it has to be bland pureed for the most part. Liquids stay down, except for times like last night when I was taking my medication before bed (six hours after I had eaten) and it triggered me to throw up everything (I had been wanting to throw up because I had not been feeling well since I ate, which is normally how it goes).

I also throw up daily. I would call your surgeon because that is not normal. As for me I have 2 ulcers and might need another surgery to fix them. It never hurts to call and I am sure they will want you to come in. Better to be safe then sorry. I hope it goes well and keep us posted.

I am so sorry, I read your post and I hope everything turns out ok for you. You will be in my thoughts and prayers! Your post was the one that really made me start to worry, how ironic you would find this one to comment on! I had really bad GERD, inflammation in my stomach, and erosive esophagitis prior to my surgery and it had been going on for years so that is why I am even more worried about ulcers or something being wrong. I'm just hoping the surgeon takes me seriously, her and I don't have the best relationship anymore. I will have to wait until Monday now to call though.

In regards to how the food looks... that's normal. You don't have the bad acidic taste or bile anymore with your small pouch. It's the big reason we have to take special vitamins and can't take all meds, because we don't have the amount of stomach acid anymore.

I don't throw up daily, just now and then because my pouch can be so picky about what it wants to eat. When I do though, its the same. Tastes the same as going down and just looks pretty chewed up.

In regards to how the food looks... that's normal. You don't have the bad acidic taste or bile anymore with your small pouch. It's the big reason we have to take special vitamins and can't take all meds, because we don't have the amount of stomach acid anymore.

I don't throw up daily, just now and then because my pouch can be so picky about what it wants to eat. When I do though, its the same. Tastes the same as going down and just looks pretty chewed up.

I was hoping that was the case as to why it didn't taste terrible or look weird. I'm wondering though why it would be in my stomach for so long, last night wasn't the first time I felt sick for hours and hours before finally throwing up. I was diagnosed with gastroparesis about a year and a half ago, I'll have to ask/find out (or if anyone on here knows) if that could have anything to do with it. I never really threw up prior to this surgery because I was able to mind-over-matter it and keep myself from throwing up unless it was an emergency.

I saw my surgeon and nutritionist today. Neither of them seemed too concerned, just that they want me to try to supplement for the protein I am not getting. They told me to cut my portions in half and possibly step back to the Phase II purees and try to revisit some soft foods on occasion to see if I can tolerate them. They feel that I am eating too much or too fast or not chewing enough. Unfortunately, I KNOW I am eating the proper amount (I measure), I chew thoroughly, and I eat very slowly and stop after thirty minutes like they ask. Most of the time, I don't even eat half of my meal because I get sick and throw up before then and I never am eating for more than a few minutes. They also told me that I'm getting dumping symptoms, which I think is incorrect. I think I am getting hypoglycemic symptoms because I constantly have a headache now (despite being on Topamax - highest dose - and have been for a few years) and it's worse after I eat and I get nauseated and none of my foods are high in sugar or carbs or anything that would cause dumping and I rarely poop let alone have diarrhea. But, since no one will listen or trust me, I will do what they say and get some protein supplements/meal replacements and work with that for a while and just live with the barfing. I see her again in June.

I'm also upset because even though I lost forty-two pounds since surgery two months ago, she was not impressed with my weight loss and actually made the comment that I was not doing well. I thought I was doing great, in fact, I thought I was on par with most people I've read about. I was too shocked to ask her what she felt I should be at or to flip out. Now I just feel like crying.

That is just stupidity for a doctor to make a patient feel lie 42 pound sin 2 months is not a great success. I can not even believe a doctor anywhere could say that I mean it is more than the average loses so you are a head of more than half the people on here. I lost about 40 in 2 months and am at 1year the 28th of this month and have now lost 122. I think you are doing wonderful and I would only give these new suggestions about 1 full week and if you do not feel any better you need to call your surgeons office and tell them you want to be checked for a strickture. Getting sick like this is not normal or healthy. Hang in there honey and please call the surgeon again f things do not get better and make them listen to you. We sometimes have to be our own advocate.

42 pounds is great. Don't let them make you feel like you're not doing well -- you are.

On the throwing up, I threw up quite a bit and had a hard time getting water down because of a stricture. What I learned is that for some people you can have a narrowing of your opening and as it gets tighter, people can't get food, water, or any nutrition down. My doctor was kind of skeptical and told me to eat slower, drink slower etc.

Until I had an X-Ray swallow test (like I had in the hospital after surgery) he didn't pay much attention to it. They realized after the swallow test that I had a stricture and then fixed it.

Be an absolute advocate for your health and ask for tests to check for strictures, ulcers, and anything else you can think of. Throwing up all the time should not be your new normal.

Good luck! Andrea

I never had/heard of this swallow test (other than on here). Is this supposed to be a standard? Can gastroenterologists do it? I have a FABULOUS gastro doctor who listened to me about phantom pains I had for years and finally after I went through many ER/other gastros I found out I had gastroparesis within only a few visits and tests from him. I know I should push my surgeon but she's a very intimidating person and as I said she and I don't have a good rapport so I'm worried she may not do the test even if I ask which is why I ask about the gastro because I know he would want to know about this (he's EXTREMELY compassionate). I just feel like they seemed like this was a normal thing when I saw them today or like they were blaming me for it when I know I'm doing things right. For example, I was told I was eating too much if it's still in my stomach to barf up six hours later. I measure my food and I never finish what I measure out because I become sick so I usually only get half or a fourth of my "meal" so I am not eating too much - I am worried that my stomach is not digesting even though I was told the parts affected by gastroparesis are no longer being used (re: they are in the non-attached husk). Granted, that doesn't happen all the time, usually I throw up either immediately or within an hour or two. I feel like I'm going to be stuck on liquids or purees forever now and they just won't trust me or care that I am doing things right. I feel so emotional and like a failure right now that it's not even funny, especially with the weight comment added into this mixture.

Hmm., I love my gastro too. Maybe go ser him and have him scope you for it all at once!

My gastro knew more about strictures than my doc. Its a one in ten so not everybody gets it. In our december group it was me and rule breaker.

Goid luck!

Get it checked. You should nt be this bad.

On phone so bad typing!

Edited by bambinari

You're doing great weight-wise and I wouldn't worry about what she said. You know from our comments and from seeing others weighloss in a two month period on here that you are doing just fine with that. When reading your post I automatically thought of either a stricture orthe narrowing of the throat issue. I'd go to the gastro, too. Sounds like you may need to look at other bariatric surgeons there for post op care since yours isn't one who has very good bedside manner.

Yeah, I am considering finding another bariatric doctor for my post-op visits. I don't know if I will stay with the same group since I know they will try and force me to see my surgeon. I have a friend who had a bypass at a different practice so I may look into them. I'll give my gastro a call in the morning because I threw up again tonight.

Are you getting water in? Dehydration is a problem with throwing up and that is a terrible thing to deal with. If you feek dehydrated make sure you go to er for fluids this weekend.