AnnetteNJ

February 2011 Surgeries

I weighed the same for most of July-August and then started losing again. I think it's just a stall, Annette. JMO. :)

Did my bike ride today...28.5 miles

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/123767523

Wow, my legs burned for hours once we were done - I didn't want to eat at all after the ride but made sure I still did eat something and got my protein in all day.

They want to ride 32 miles next weekend, not sure I can do that one (starts in Medford, NJ - Annette, close to you at all?) - not sure I can do that and then do the 1hr ride home burning like I did today

I'm impressed!! an hour of spinning class burns me out.

WTG, Dennis!! How do you feel this morning? My legs would probably be crampy all day.

Medford, NJ is about 63 miles from me! (1 1/2 ride) We'll just have to make a date for the four of us to meet in Philly (touristy stuff).

If you ride this week, you might build up your stamina for Saturday. But also, don't try to push it. Good going though!!! But I noticed it was a 28 mile bike ride yesterday so 32 is doable!!

Edited by AnnetteNJ

My legs hurt me all night long - so much so that the sleep was so negligible that I called out of work today! :)

I need a road bike...simple as that - the wife won't be happy but I am saving my pennies for it - more clothes to ebay and more money to make to save up the 1k$ for a decent road bike.

The guys were impressed that I was able to keep up with them for the whole ride (they had mercy on me) but the last climb killed me - if it weren't for that, I don't think I would have hurt so bad.

This weekend will be a lighter ride into Newark, DE and on some of the trails around there - should be a good 20 mile trip (and give me a chance to get to the bike stores in town without my wife nitpicking about me looking at other bikes!

Look what this guy broke

<<< Broke the 300 lb mark! WOOO HOOOO!!! :D

dance.gif

Here is an updated pic - got this from the bike ride I did a little over a week ago...look who isn't the biggest guy in any given picture!

biking.jpg

Edited by PhillyDude

Denis!! Fabulous! Don't even recognize you! Cool smile!!! Happy smile!!! Great work!!!

Hello Everyone,

At 9 months post-op, today, I weigh 155 lbs. It has been very frustrating, I was hoping to hit goal by six months but I wasn't one of those lucky ones. I am loosing very, very slowly. I wear size 8 pants, but I seem to be a little bigger on top. It's ok, I look nothing like I did 9 months ago. I have so much more energy and much more joie de vivre. I am doing well with my eating, though I must admit that I treat myself to a cookie on occassion. I have been very good, and its just one cookie. Not daily, not weekly but at least once a month. I don't beat myself over it.

Other than that, I feel great. Just wish I could hit goal soon.

Sunshine, my question to you is how you picked 150 as your goal weight? We are about the same weight but I'm much taller than you and I wear a size 10. I've been stuck at 150 for about three weeks now - the scale never waivers!!! My goal is to be 145 and that number remains elusive. GRRR.

My biggest issue is STILL not getting in enough fluids. Still hurts to drink plain water. And I also graze more than sitting down for a meal. I do have breakfast almost every morning and then I pick throughout the day on a cheese stick here, beef jerky there, almonds, protein bar. I do count everythig that I eat but I know it's not the best way stay on track.

I also will admit to an occasional cookie or a bit of ice cream (which does NOT sit well). My saving grace for sweets is Planters Pumpkin Spice Almonds!!

And I wish I could say I'm exercising but all I can manage right now are stretches. I'm having issues with my feet - the redistribution of my weight loss has caused the bones of my feet to shift causing uncomfortable pain. I know if I could do some aerobics, I could budge those last few pounds.

Hope all is well with everyone. Karen, I miss you. Dennis, you still alive?

HI Annette,

I actually picked 160 lbs for my goal weight. While going through my pre-op appts I was told that a realistic goal for me is about 60-80% weigh loss. The doc would not set a goal for me, so I set one for myself keeping in mind what they told me to expect. I keep lowering though, I have 150 lbs listed as my goal but in reality I would like to go down to 125-135 lbs range.

People tell me not to lose more weight, but I feel fat and I am still considered overweight so I most definitely want to hit my personal goal. Right now though, I am trying to hit 150, once I reach it I will lower it again.

I don't have issues drinking fluids, they go down just fine but I have a hard time meeting goal. I am still drinking a protein shake in the morning (about 5:30am), then I eat yogurt (disgusting stuff) at about 8:30 am. I try to snack on nuts, etc, but I do better with fruit, hence why I am still drinking a protein shake in the morning. My other meals are ok, and other than eating the occassional cookie I am eating healthy.

I am relieved that I am not the only one whose weight has considerably slowed down. The nut explained to me that as we get into the lower weight our bodies will hold on to the extra pounds we carry. I was hoping to be the exception, but it was not to be.

Good luck on our continued journey.

yup, I'm still alive and kickin...

Still losing weight (but I had so much more than you ladies to lose)...my doc told me in October, expect another 10-14 months of slow weight loss before stabilizing. I thought I was in a end of loss period there for a while because my weight was hovering around 300 lbs but I reanalyzed what I was eating, getting in the extra protein and biking when I could and it moved again. Now that it is cold and getting dark early, no excuses to go to the gym!

Hi everyone! Our Surgervisary is JUST AROUND THE CORNER!! I'm checking in to see how everyone is doing. If you remember, I had surgery on 1/31/11 so I'm on the "cusp" of the two months (Jan and Feb) but I've always felt I'm more of a February kind of gal.

Anyway, my year in review! A roller coaster ride of mostly downhill loops (good ones) The weight came off steadily until late October, early November and then I cam to a standstill for the Holidays. No real gains but I'm hovering in the high 140's and can't seem to budge and I've only got two-three more pounds to make "MY" goal. I'm finding it much easier to eat much more food and my sweet tooth has remained. (Make that sweet TEETH!) I didn't do much in the way of exercise this past year except a lot of gardening for a friend but then I got on the wagon and joined a gym between Xmas and New Years and I'm going three times a week for classes - Zumba, body toning, yoga, etc. I feel great in that respect and I know I'll possibly gain a few pounds of muscle. My goal is just to remain under 150 pounds until the muscle catches up.

Head wise, I'm a wreck. My brain cannot catch up with my body. I still see a fat person when I look in the mirror and I am at a loss for words when people say "you've lost enough, your face is so thin, your shoulders are popping out." All I see is a fat belly, albiet extra skin, but still a fat belly. And a thick waist!! I try to remind myself that it's genetics but that doesn't help me. I'm also going through the winter nesting syndrome - you know, wanting to eat more because it's winter, trying to find some comfort food and eating the wrong things without consequence.

In general, I feel great. I've loved this journey but now the work begins...keeping the weight OFF!!

How's everyone else doing?

Hi everyone! Our Surgervisary is JUST AROUND THE CORNER!! I'm checking in to see how everyone is doing. If you remember, I had surgery on 1/31/11 so I'm on the "cusp" of the two months (Jan and Feb) but I've always felt I'm more of a February kind of gal.

Anyway, my year in review! A roller coaster ride of mostly downhill loops (good ones) The weight came off steadily until late October, early November and then I cam to a standstill for the Holidays. No real gains but I'm hovering in the high 140's and can't seem to budge and I've only got two-three more pounds to make "MY" goal. I'm finding it much easier to eat much more food and my sweet tooth has remained. (Make that sweet TEETH!) I didn't do much in the way of exercise this past year except a lot of gardening for a friend but then I got on the wagon and joined a gym between Xmas and New Years and I'm going three times a week for classes - Zumba, body toning, yoga, etc. I feel great in that respect and I know I'll possibly gain a few pounds of muscle. My goal is just to remain under 150 pounds until the muscle catches up.

Head wise, I'm a wreck. My brain cannot catch up with my body. I still see a fat person when I look in the mirror and I am at a loss for words when people say "you've lost enough, your face is so thin, your shoulders are popping out." All I see is a fat belly, albiet extra skin, but still a fat belly. And a thick waist!! I try to remind myself that it's genetics but that doesn't help me. I'm also going through the winter nesting syndrome - you know, wanting to eat more because it's winter, trying to find some comfort food and eating the wrong things without consequence.

In general, I feel great. I've loved this journey but now the work begins...keeping the weight OFF!!

How's everyone else doing?

Firstly congratulations!

Secondly I adore you!

Thirdly, you are doing an amazingly good job with everything.

Fourthly you take responsibility for the slip ups so 1, 2, and 3 should be plenty!!!

Hiya! I'm almost a year post-op, wow! Time flies... I am on the VERGE of the 60s, as I've been at 70.0 for a few days now. I would be happy to see a 6 as my first number in my weight any day now. :D I've been good and I've been bad, and this journey just goes on and on either way, because I'm good way more than I'm bad. Plus I work out now, aside from walking a lot. So things are good. I don't have a one-year goal per se, but it woulda been cool to hit 100lb loss in the year, but I'm not sure I can even do 100lb loss in total, so I'm not fussed.

How's everyone else?? <3

I'm still hanging in...had my 1 yr. check up on Friday (well, 11 month check-up) and the doctor has said I am doing great...feels that ~1lb a week at this stage is good and with continued exercise, should allow 4-6 more months of weight loss.

Havering in the 290 range...not really moving too much but little bit here and there and definitely a LOT better than the 500+ lbs I was 2 yrs ago!

Waist is down 24 inches...that still boggles the mind and I actually bought 2XL gym shorts that I needed to return. Bought XL instead :P

Also bought my bathing suits for the upcoming summer...XL there too!

Exercise isn't as aggressive as I would like it...between work and being cold all the time, if it isn't walking around in general, I am having problems getting motivated to do it. Need a kick in the @*# to get to the gym because it is simply too cold to bike right now.

A couple of things on the health front...

My Venous stasis dermatitis hasn't cleared as much as we'd like so I have made appts. w/ the vascular surgeon to look at it. We are doing an ultrasound at the end of the month and possibly a "closure" of the saphenous vein in both legs. Should resolve the stasis and the other varicose veins in my thighs that have decided to make their presence known via weight loss. Looks like worms under the skin...that bad (but doesn't hurt).

Also went to the Urologist to get a check up on the health of the plums...the diagnostics were, um, interesting to say the least. Ultra-sound, physical inspection and sample "collection" with a blood draw to boot. Thinks I have a Varicocele (vericose veins in the plums). So I find out the findings at the end of the month from all that. Might be why my wife has never been pregnant despite my best efforts. :(

In December, I had a lipoma removed. Nice little in-office procedure to cut out a non-cancerous fatty tumor. Again, weight loss allowed this to be seen to the point where it bothered me when sitting in the car for long periods of time. Some numbing, a little pain from the margins during cuttings and three stitches. All gone!

Compliments continue to come my way and now they are along the lines of "how young" I look.

Finding that I can eat more in one sitting that I would expect to...but then again, I'm not eating the 6 times per day like I'm supposed to. Fluid intake continues to be fine and the blood levels are all good aside from B12 being a bit high (Powerade Zero is amazingly efficient in delviering B3, B6 and B12 in 15% increments per 12 oz serving).

Annette,

I feel just like you. Everyone tells me I have lost enough but when I look in the mirror I still see the fat stomach and no waist. It really is a head game that I can't get a handle on. I have lost 95 lbs but still have aprox 25 to go according to my surgeon. My primary care doctor says 15 would be better. I am only losing about a pound a week. I still eat right most days but have found I can eat sweets again which is my downfall. I would really like to hit the 100 lbs lost by my surgeversery but don't know if it will happen. I am trying to get in the exercise to make that happen. I always feel better when I hear others having the same issues I do. My husband just doesn't understand the mind issues that go with the weight loss. On the good side, I am having a ball shopping for size 10 clothes. I don't think I ever in my life wore a size 10 so it is a great experience. There sure are a lot more options for regular sizes than for plus sizes. : )

Dennis,

I had the vein closure surgery at the beginning of Dec. on both legs. It has been really effective to relieve the swelling in the feet and getting rid of the ugly veins and it was totally painless. Good luck with it.

How are folks doing with their surgiversaries being this month?

Awww, it's the Feb folks! Hiya!! Dennis, thanks for bumping this! Glad to hear you're doing so well...hope the vein thing helps too. :)

I can NOT believe it's nearly been a year -- !! Wowee, what a fast year that was! I am doing really well, feeling great, in the neighbourhood of my "goal" weight somewhere, and working out regularly, being healthy, shopping too much, having fun with life.

So I'm thinking, one of the best years of my middle-aged life so far!!

How's everyone else doing? Would love to get the one-year update from my cohort... <3