AnnetteNJ

February 2011 Surgeries

Hi Annette, my brother and SIL as well as my cousin are all getting flooded too. :( Hope that weather chills out soon!!

I never eat enough to throw up, but I can definitely eat more now than I could early out. But there are days I can't eat much at all, so it mostly evens out. I was pretty bad around my birthday in my eating, but have largely been "good" all along. I am more tempted by things sometimes than I used to be -- and more than pre-op, so that's weird. I find sometimes that I have intense cravings for categories -- like mostly for "SALTY". Though I ate too much chocolate recently as well...and I don't really even love chocolate all that much. <_<

My saggy skin is making me a little crazy too. My boobs are still mostly okay (touch wood) if a little lower than they were, but my thighs and batwings and upper abdomen are sorta nasty. I feel like everything jiggles all the time. Alas...

My confession is that my only exercise is walking -- which I do quite a bit of, but it's not enough. I need to buckle down and do something that is actually strenuous or builds muscle. Not sure why I'm so resistant, as I haven't been in the past. But this surgery seems to have changed my brain in so many ways...

So anyhow, hang in there and keep being a good WLS patient! I will try to as well. We must keep each other honest. :)

I've got saggy boobs too...in fact, they are so bad that it is what prevents me from buying smaller shirts because of how they look.

So you girls aren't the only ones having dropping issues.

My stomach, panus, thighs, arms and boobs...all will need work done.

I will admit too, there has been some stress eating - when my mother in law left I was relieved because all we did was eat out.

I made splenda brownies one day and had a bit but they were no sugar...

Also, had a piece of chocolate one day after bike riding...it got hot and humid when the sun came out while I was riding and when I came home, a hershey bar begged me to open it and take a 1/3 - I recovered a whole lot quicker than just drinking water or powerade, that is for sure.

I am not eating to the point of being sick but there are times where I will eat to the point of uncomfortableness...burbs come and relieves it a little but vomiting all that food in a dry state is WEIRD and I try to avoid it as much as I possibly can

I sag everywhere too. I know if I were to really exercise instead of just walking I would probably tone up quite a bit but I am like you. It is really hard to get motivated to truely exercise. I too can only eat small amounts of food and have slowed waaaay done on the weight loss. I think I am down to about 5 lbs per month which is depressing since I still have about 45 lbs to go. At least the scale is still going down and I feel great. Hopefully we are all just in a stall not the end of the losing time.

I was really bad about the gym all summer and really didn't do anything outside of it, either, but last Tuesday I went back to the personal trainer and I was so sore from what we did that I made sure I went back every day but one since then to keep things from tightening up even more and to not waste the pain. I do want to build a little muscle to take up a little of the slack of the skin, especially on my arms and thighs.

Now that I'm being good about taking the omeprazole the nausea and stomach pain have gone away and that's not always a good thing.

Yesterday I was actually a little bit relieved when what I had eaten came back up because it hadn't been the best of choices - well, okay, the food was a good choice - lobster, shrimp, crab meat, but the butter I dipped it in, not so much. I find that I'm getting a bit of an attitude of "there's so little I can eat and I eat so little of it that I should be able to have X (real butter, real sour cream, etc.) as long as I'm still within all of my fat, calories, carbs, etc. for the day. Then more attitude about the fact that I'm only 7 months out and only 5 pounds from my goal (and right at a healthy BMI but with no wiggle room) so as long as I don't mind it taking a little longer, I should be able to eat more things I actually like. Steep slippery slope so I'm trying to convince myself that I should reach goal first and then see.

I'm worried about maintaining. I've never yet succeeded at it.

I think we psych ourselves out when we think of it as "exercise." What we need to do is find something we enjoy doing that happens to be good for our bodies, whether it's running, biking, hiking, swimming, or whatever. I happen to actually like doing weights at the gym, or I did last time I took the weight off. I'm not all that fond of the elliptical or rowing machine but I do like listening to books on CD, watching shows on TV (something I actually never do at home), or watching the movie showing at the gym (they have a movie theater with exercise equipment instead of chairs).

Good to see you all here. I have been checking, but I was the last poster for quite awhile (she says virtuously).

I guess that sagging skin should be the least of our worries! We are so much healthier.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has issues with tossing up some of our food. I'm really trying to listen to my body, but it's such a "new" body and it's hard to figure out the new signals. As I said before, I have been having issues with the CCC's (cookies/cake/candy) and not to minimalize it, I only have a bite, never a whole brownie, or candy bar or 5 oreos - well maybe four! But never at one sitting. That's the biggest problem - the grazing. Ah, but I repeat myself.

Still choking on plain water - don't know why.

Karen, I'm with you at the maintaining part. First of all, I had never, ever set a goal before, so having set one for 145 is a good start. I think I really need to start incorporating more variety of foods but still maintain the protein requirements. There are certain dishes I used to make that I'm changing a bit to fit my nutritional requirements but still be able to enjoy them. Say, for example, I make a one pan meal of chicken, vegetables, past and curry flavoring that I always cook the pasta in the same pan. It's hard to measure the pasta that way. So now I cook it separately and measure it out. I still hardly EVER finish what's on my plate except for refried beans or Fage yogurt - my two loves!

Keep me motivated, PLEASE!!!

It has definitely gotten harder to lose anything. I've been bouncing back and forth between 139 and 140 for forever (or a few weeks, whichever is longer). I am stepping up the exercise, but I may just have to come to terms with being done losing. I'm at a healthy BMI, but there's no wiggle room whatsoever. I'm going to be really annoyed if I gain weight as I gain muscle because that will put me back into overweight.

I am also eating things that I don't feel like I should, but they're mostly carbs or nuts (oatmeal, pretzel thins). I do limit myself to one serving a day and I'm under 1200 calories a day (with one day where I went up to 1350). My biggest problem is probably fluids. I have a hard time drinking anything other than protein shakes, maybe because the consistency works better as I add a lot of ice and blend it. Maybe I should try that with my crystal light.

It probably doesn't help motivate me to keep going strong when people around me are starting to lecture me about getting too thin. I'm not!

Annette, are you in the Halloween challenge group on here? I find that it helps to set mini goals and they don't have to be "lose x pounds." They can be exercise or water or whatever goals.

Dennis, I saw a "pre-show" commercial for the news and they were talking about under garments for MEN!! It might be something you would consider so you can buy those smaller shirts.

Karen, Don't know how you did it but you have definitely surpassed me in your weight loss. And we seem to have the same issues. Everytime I think I'm overeating, I start logging on MyFitnessPal and find that I'm NOT overeating. I too am within the 1000-1300 calories. I also find that when I do log, I'm more careful about what I'm eating. For the first time since surgery I finally had something that I couldn't calculate protein or calories and it was soooo good. Sechuan Tofu!! (from our local chinese place) Chock full of veggies: carrots, snow peas, water chestnuts, peppers and onions and about a 1/4 brown rice. I was concerned about the sauce and the tofu might have been fried so I added an extra 100 calories based on MyFitnessPal. How does anyone else calculate stuff like that? When I go out to dinner I usually stick to foods that aren't covered with something - like fish or steak or chicken. I'm to the point where I actually don't enjoy going out to dinner but I do like the convenience of not having to cook and also having leftovers for the next two days.

I also have a problem getting my fluid intake. I'm trying really, really hard. The bad thing is I still can't just drink plain water, but the good thing is I can drink cold things (most of the time) Today I actually drank about 14 ounces of Crystal Light in less than 10 minutes!! I think I was just thirsty but I'm still very surprised. Never did that.

The other day I got two 2-lb and 2 4-lb weights from a Freecycler and today I got 2-10 lbs, 4-5 lb, and 2-3lb weights with two bars from the same lady. I'm either going to have very strong arms or great doorstoppers!! Seriously though, I was doing 2 lb weights for a week, then moved up to the 4 lbs in the past few days. I think I finally found something I like to do but not sure how weights can benefit anything other than my arms. I've also been doing the heavy gardening for my friend and she found even more for me to do. So I'm praying for now snow or freezing weather until Thanksgiving.

I've got one more pound to go to have lost 80 lbs and anywhere between 5-7 pounds to be "normal" I say "between" because I'm really not sure how tall I am. I used to be 5'6", the surgeon has me down as 5'4" (but I measured 5'4 1/2") and my PCP has me as 5'5".

And Karen, I'm going to go find the Halloween Challenge - you're right - it doesn't have to be weight.

So sorry to have bored anyone and hope all those other February people are doing well. Haven't heard from any of them except for Karen, Dennis, Sandy and Swizzly. HELLO EVERYONE ELSE!!

Edited by cinwa

I'm on record as sucking completely at accurately logging calories on myfitnesspal. I have a tendency to inflate the numbers because I'm just sure extra calories are sneaking in there and that I'm being a bad naughty fat girl and not counting the air I breathe 'n stuff. So I would find some caloric chinese dish in there and then take the huge hit for the day. Sigh. I'm really trying to do better at this...

I haven't really lost weight in like two months now. *Annoyed* I'm barely into the 77 range now, and have been in that 77-79 range for WEEKS AND WEEKS. It's beginning to harsh my buzz. Hmph.

I still don't exercise aside from walking all over creation, so I guess I deserve my flappy arms and jiggly stomach and thighs. <_<

Monday. Sigh.

Hope everyone else is having a good day!!! I'm already into the evening thank god. B)

Hello everyone,

I haven't posted in a while but I am glad I took the time to check the forums today. I find myself in the same situation as you. I am losing very slowly. Actually, I think I may be done losing because the scale finally moved last week, but it was after a two month stall. The good news is that I've been consistently going to the gym so while the scale did not move, I was able to go from a size 10 pants to a size 8.

I am dissapointed to say the least, my BMI is still in the overweight category and even though I know I am better off then I ever was, it still dissapoints me that I don't weigh less. I guess we just have to keep chugging along.

Good luck to all.

Izzy

I always feel better after checking in. I am having the same problem.....slooooooow weight loss. I am down to about 5 lbs a month. I did finally join a gym and went to my first spin class on Sat. and will be going again tomorrow so maybe that will make a difference. I sure hope so. I still have 40 lbs to go.

Izzy, I know what you mean. I just checked my BFR - Body Fat Ratio and I'm just on the line!! The BMI is still over 25 and driving me crazy. I don't think I'll ever be a size 8. My bones are a size 8!!! So that's frustrating me too. I also checked my BMR - Body Metabolism Rate and I need to be getting 1350 calories a day in order to lose 1 1/2 pounds a week. So, MyFitnessPal.com, I'm BACK! AND I've got to get on schedule with exercising - weights/aerobic/spinning/jazzercise WHATEVER!!!

If you use MFP (Annette, Dee, anyone else?), I'm Gnaed on there, too. You can change your settings to allow others to see what you ate that day and that's kind of fun. I get ideas from some and am just entertained by others (those in other countries who eat interesting sounding things just because the brand names are so different).

My biggest failing each day is water so I'm still fighting that battle, hoping that if I really get it all in every day I will do better with these last 5 pounds.

Karen, I changed my setting on MFP. I'm Bruanne. Now keep me accountable!!

Swizzly, are you on MFP? What's your user name there??

Edited by AnnetteNJ

Well, I found the secret to breaking the stall...go to Disney World.

Even with not doing nearly the amount of walking I knew I was capable of doing (my wife was the dead weight that wanted to stop), I still lost 5 pounds during the week while I was there.

Now I don't know how much I sweat out but I didn't eat the greatest (I did pick the healthiest choices of the foods I would like to eat but the food is generally rich to begin with).

Breakfast was generally a protein shake - two days we ate in a restaurant - one meal was oatmeal and wheat toast with a little fruit (on top of the protein shake) and another was a thin piece of steak and some eggs (tasted powdered) on top of the protein shake.

When we ate in restaurants, I would get some kind of beef protein because the chicken is ALWAYS too dry. It would often come with some veggies and a starch which I would pick at.

Counter service ran the gamut from dry chicken nuggets, grilled chicken Caesar salad, 1/2 a cheeseburger (with bun), a slice of pizza 1 day or 4 cheese "mac and cheese" (really penne with cheese melted on it).

Every meal besides breakfast came with dessert...no substitutions! So I would pick at it here and there...other times I would just order it and leave it on the table.

We didn't pay for the meals, they were part of the package we booked. Neither of us wanted to see food when we got home...to the point where after breakfast on Saturday, I didn't eat until after noon on Sunday.

The surprising thing is that there were some days where I felt like I could eat a lot more that I thought I could...like when I had dinner at the hibachi restaurant (Tepan Edo) the veggies and noodles went down along with about half the steak and some rice. No where near the clean plate club, but I was surprised myself. Then other days where I sent back most of the meal...I was tired of being asked "Was everything OK?" response: "Delicious, I just cannot eat it all" to which they respond: "Are you sure?" :angry:

At the end of the trip, I was so full (and I'm sure compacted up with red meat) that I didn't want to eat...not enough veggies EVER on any of the meals and the 1 buffet I went to (German food) had nothing besides the cold salads (which the red beet salad was tasty!).

I had the apple sauce tubes and the nuts in the room to snack on...so I tried to eat some more "fibrous" foods when I snacked to help move things along.

Riding the rides without worry of not fitting was awesome but I think my blood pressure is a little too low...I got light headed after riding space mountain and after riding Rock 'n Roller Coaster. But Tower of Terror (while it scared me half to death) didn't cause any lightheaded feelings. Test Track was fine so it wasn't the speed that caused it.

What was the absolute bonus though was getting on the plane and sitting in the seat with the arm rest down comfortably and being able to buckle the seat belt without having to use an extender (I own mine for regular and southwest style belts).

What was even better was on the way back from Orlando, they called for emergency seat volunteers (yeah, like I needed to be dragged into that one) and was able to secure them for my wife and I and could legally sit there without issue (apparently, seat belt extenders are not allowed in the emergency exit rows).

2nd bonus was being able to go to the outlets and not be stuck shopping only at the Big Dog store (which is no longer there) and being able to buy Columbia jackets, Nike sweathshirts and polos and GAP waffle shirts all CHEAP and they fit!!

Down to a 2XL in most shirts (non-athletic cut) and 46" waist. 20" off from last summer!!

And as far as compression clothing, I found a couple compression shirts at the Under Armour store for both summer and winter - they will be great for hitting the gym and running since my man boobs flop around without it. Its cooler out so it will be gym time again!

Edited by PhillyDude

Dennis, the perfect ending to your story would have been The Phillies WON! But ah, sorry to say, nope. A few more games and we'll see how good they really are.(Just had to get my dig in)

Anyway, it's awesome that you were able to do all that you did. I didn't know that the Rock and Roll Rollercoaster went upside down and was in the dark before I got on it. When I came out I was also lightheaded (This was when I was still heavy and 55 years old.) Been there, done that. WON'T ever do it again. And we went on the Tower of Terror four times because each time it's different so you never know what to expect.

I want to see pictures!! You are doing fabulous - actually leading a "normal" life, eating in moderation. Everything should be in moderation including moderation!!

I'm with you about the gym. I have one very close to where I live but have to come up with the $250 for a year. That's really not that bad but since I'm a real estate agent, I'm waiting for my next commission check - soon I hope and then I'll join up.

And Dennis, I see no reason why you can't wear the compression garments under some of your shirts when you go out to the bar or dinner. We ladies do so you can too.

Sounds like you had a great time, Dennis! I am getting better about going to the gym regularly. I'm still shelling out big bucks for a personal trainer, but I really want some muscle definition, particularly in my arms and legs. I would have liked to lose a few more pounds but my hip bones are "right there" so I'm pretty sure my butt isn't getting any smaller (although I do hope to tighten it up) and the boobs already left the building, so all that's really left are the saddle bags. Now I have to figure out how to maintain, something I have never done successfully in my entire life.

I went to my support group last night, determined to be a quiet observer for once, but the facilitator asked me to talk about my journey (along with the other 4 who were out a way) and that did get me talking a bit. Every time I'm out in public I think of that Phyllis McGinley poem where she talks about all the things she wishes for, but what she wishes the most is that she didn't talk so much when she was at a party.

Breakfast with Pooh and Friends at the Crystal Palace in the Magic Kingdom:

eeyore.JPG

Me whipping the teacup ride around (without my legs rubbing the wheel):

teacups.JPG

Edited by PhillyDude

OMG the teacup picture is AWESOME!! You should blow that one up and frame it. :)

You look so happy!! I can feel you spinning. Kudos to your wife for taking such an awesome photo!!

Yeah, she got a good one!

I looked at the pictures Disney takes with their Photopass system...my man boobs are more pronounced than ever!

Definitely on the list to save for work to be done!!

I wanted to check in with my February staplers....to see how everyone's is doing. Look like you all are rockin'! A few folks have had very slow weight loss in the last few months.....just as I have. Makes me feel a bit better (whew!) cause I really thought I was just the queen of sloooww. Docs and nuts say I'm doing fine, body is shrinking...though the scale just won't move! Docs say I'm not done losing, it just will most likely be very pokey from now on...and I still have another good year of losing to go, if I'm lucky. I hope so....I really have 50lbs more to lose to reach goal. Just want that BMI down!!

Exercise is still on schedule, though I always think I need to ramp it up! I am jogging now, feels pretty wild, I always wanted to run, never could when I was so heavy. It feels awesome! Food is doing well (as long as I resist the crackers and cheese, which has become my favorite snack of choice...uugggh). I'm not as good with MyFitness Pal as I used to be, but I try to log in every week as often as I can...if only to check calories, protein, carbs and fat intake. It's still on target...if anything my calories are too low....still working on that. Our long term support group has been a good resource for me lately.....which is great.

So....I feel amazingly good! Energy level is so different, all my friends and family notice it. Makes me definitely feel I made the right decision...even though I wish my weight loss was progressing faster.....I know eventually my body will settle in it's new healthy normal.

Take care everyone! Keep up the great work, you all look fabulous!! :D

I went to the doctor yesterday to review blood work. My nutritionist wanted a whole battery of tests of vitamin and mineral levels done after 6 months. I am glad to say everything was in the normal range. It is a relief knowing I am getting enough of everything because I forget to take at least one vitamin daily - usually the second multi vitamin. I am still losing weight very slowly, only 18 lbs. in the last 3 months but at lest it is still going down. Still have 40 to go even though I can't really imagine what 40 less lbs. will look like. I have finally joined a gym and am having a good time with a spin class.....my legs are killing me but after 4 weeks I can finally do the whole class without totally dying. Hope everyone else is doing well.

Went to the doc last Friday...things are looking good. Wants me to get another blood draw sometime in the next 30 days for review even though my next appointment isn't until January.

Haven't broken the 300 lb barrier officially yet but was close @ 301.8

Please, PLEASE, someone else tell me they've come to a dead stop!!! And I mean D-E-A-D!!! I have weighed the same exact number - 151.4 for 7 days now!! Not 151.6 or 151.2 but 151.4!! No matter what I do - up protein - up exercise - drink more fluids - it's exactly the same. So that's about one month of not losing anything substantial. At that weight I ONLY have 6.6 pounds to go before I'm at goal!!! I am so tempted to just go crazy for one or two days and eat anything and everything I want that doesn't make me sick or dump just to see if it will have any affect on me.

I've been trying very hard not to graze but sometimes I just don't have time to sit down and eat lunch. I usually graze on good stuff - almonds, protein bars, beef sticks, cheese sticks but grazing can get the best of you calorie-wise. I've been documenting everything on MFP but I'm still not budging weight wize. I'm going to take someone elses suggestion and buy a pair of pants that are too small and use them as a guide. I might be losing inches and not pounds.

OR - heaven forbid - this IS the end of my active weight loss!! SO CLOSE!!

Sandy, you're doing better than me: I've only lost 9 lbs in the past three months. People ask me how much more I want to lose or "are you still trying to lose weight" and some have told me I'm too skinny!! NOT!! NOT!! Still have a belly and flabby thighs and arms. Thank goodness for colder weather so I can hide it.

BTW I'm FREEZING!! My hands and feet are ALWAYS cold. This is a first for me. I'm the one that sweats just thinking about the summer and always looked forward to winter but now I'm dreading it. Long underwear here I come!!

Please ladies and gents - fill us in on how you're doing!!

I hear you on the cold...I am wearing shorts (its in the 60's still, right?) but I am wearing long sleeves and jackets when I go outside as opposed to short sleeves.

I am doing a 20-30 mile bike ride @ 9AM tomorrow - I am afraid I will be too cold in the beginning of the ride - it will be tough and I will need to bring a back pack (maybe I'll break out the camel pack) - I have my Under Armour cold gear but it still might not be enough - hooded sweatshirt or windbreaker jacket might be needed to start with

As far as weight loss, it should continue for 12-18 months post surgery - you may be in one of the dreaded plateaus

Are the clothes fitting looser?

Edited by PhillyDude