AnnetteNJ

February 2011 Surgeries

I know Swizzly and Annette have seen these but for the others...

I wanted to share some pics with you - pretty much 1 year apart - when I saw this pic, I knew I needed to take steps to get healthier and lose weight:

bigD.jpg

Now this picture is from last night:

littleD.jpg

What a difference a year makes (and losing 150 lbs)! :blink::)

Wow...you look great. Congratulations!!

thanks sunsh1n3!!

I'm sort of at a stall now too. The 70 pounds came off without me lifting a finger really. I did a small bit of exercise here or there, mostly a walk occasionally or going out with friends to do activities that required movement (instead of sitting in front of a television, haha). I've just started the WiiFit Plus today after I had a heart attack because over the past several days I GAINED two pounds so I think I am hitting plateau/stall period number one. It's causing major panic attacks for me. I too am running out of clothes that fit properly, mostly pants. I have a ton of cut t-shirts and whatnot that I bought in preparation and hopefulness that they would fit (plus I have a SPANX but my fat is proportioned oddly so I have a roll above my bellybutton too and not a whole lot holds that one back). Jeans, I luckily saved a lot of but I am in-between the sizes I do have right now. I've ALWAYS had fatty upper arms though, even when I was a skinny kid, I'm hoping the Shake Weight can help me. I'm trying not to think too much about how much excess skin I will need removed: the two rolls on my stomach, my arms, my boobs are gonna need a hoisting. I also need new bras and panties now too! Unfortunately, the boyfriend and I are saving every last penny because we have to move into a new apartment next month as well as I have a trip to California planned for the end of October with both him and my best friend.

On top of everything else, I'm having a kidney infection, some fibro and arthritis flares, and allergy/sinusitis issues! I see my surgeon for my three month check-up next week and I am hoping she is more positive than she normally is (she's always a Negative Nancy to me). I still have some barfing issues, I finally saw my gastroenterologist about it and had an Upper GI Series where the radiologist saw that my sphincter was not closing (I looked online and saw that it means I possibly have LPR - a different type of reflux but my letter said "severe acid reflux present") and I see him the day after I see my surgeon for a follow-up. He put me back on Reglan about three weeks ago but I haven't noticed much of a difference. I've decided to just go back to being a vegetarian since the main things that cause me trouble are meats, poultry, and fish (although there are a lot of other things as well). I've been getting my main source of protein from shakes.

I need to find my way here more often. I miss you guys.

I'm still doing okay on the clothing front because I refused to get rid of things last time I lost a lot and gained it all back so I'm bringing things up from the basement and out of the spare bedroom closet. I still have a terrible time figuring out what to wear because some 14's still fit, most 12's fit, but some are still tight, and I have piles of clothes everywhere. I try on at least 4 outfits every day before I find one that fits right. Just trying things on once doesn't work for more than a week or two at a time because my body is changing so quickly and my proportions are whacked - comparatively tiny waist, huge butt, and then there's the belly bulge.

Daughter got a new tripod and decided she needed a model to photograph so I got to put on a few different outfits while she took a whole bunch of pictures. Chances are I'll hate them all - I am not photogenic, but if I like any, I'll post them.

So I'm coming up on five months and I've lost 63 pounds. Everytime I think I've stopped losing, I'll turn around and lose another 2 pounds. Only once since surgery have I NOT lost weight. And it was only for two weeks.

Karen, I'm looking for some new photos of you!! I'll be posting some of me after July 16th. I think I mentioned that my sister-in-law is coming up from Florida for my husband's 60th birthday party and she hasn't seen me for 4-5 years. She has NO clue whatsoever that I had the surgery. She's going to have a cow!!

I'm still having issues with certain foods. Sometimes I will eat something one day and have no problems,then eat it again another day and ache for hours. I'm still eating the basics - refried beans, yogurt, chicken (if it's not dry), hamburgers, chili. No fruit yet except for applesauce. Made a cucumber salad to die for that I usually have at dinner. Would love to have some Jersey corn but that's just not on the list. Has anyone tried it??? I just am now able to drink cold drinks but still can't drink straight water - it hurts!!

Has anyone had an alcoholic drink? I'm not a drinker but I would love to have a vodka and club (well, water) with lemon and Splenda. It tastes like lemonade with a kick. I don't care about getting loopy, I just don't want to hurt anything.

Hope everyone is enjoying a skinny summer.

I was just given clearance to try some salad greens @ 4 mos. out - I would think corn, being a carbo veggie, would be a bit further out (in addition that it isn't normally digestible in normal tracts, let alone us GBS folks)

No alcohol yet...probably won't for a long while - I mainly drank beer before so vodka drinks probably won't be something I will look towards in the future.

Still get lots of compliments from people at work and get this, despite being still "grossly" obese, I have been swimming at the pool with no shirt this year! I don't care if I look like a hairy gorilla...it is better than 155 lbs ago (which was last summer)!

Chicken (most forms) is still not a great tummy pleaser for me but beans, mexican style moist ground beef, turkey and beef chili and eggs are the main forms of protein I am able to get in along with my protein shakes.

Still find it a challenge to "remember" to eat but there is more of a feeling of hunger (or empty stomach feeling) that hits after I have gone too long.

But to quote a friend of mine: "tanned fat looks better than un-tanned fat!" - AMEN!! :lol:

Hi everyone. :)

Annette, that's fab! You have lost so consistently! Well done.

I've had some white wine here and there, but it doesn't sit well and makes me feel REALLY awful afterward, so I'm not doing it much. Haven't tried any cocktails yet, though.

I'm four months out and have lost ~50 lb (24 kg, my measurements have become rough in English AND metric now, sigh). I don't know how it happens, though, because I SWEAR the scales say the same thing every time I stand on them. I never notice it creeping down. (I think it's because I'm not tracking grams, as agreed with my dr/nut, so I can be 2.2 lb different before the kg number changes.)

I can eat just about anything (including corn, but I don't really like it -- there's nothing like good US sweet corn on the cob, can't get it here!) and I am eating a lot more veg and salads now, they are so yummy in the summer.

AND I never lost my hunger, so I feel hungry quite a bit -- though I can pretty easily distract myself. And I can definitely eat more now than I could two months ago. I'm up to 1000-1200 kcals per day now. I think it's fine, but it freaks me out every now and again...

My hair is falling out like mad. *sob*

...it is better than 155 lbs ago (which was last summer)!

Dude. You have lost 155 lb in the same time I've lost 50! Way to go!! :)

I went to a WLS support group meeting last Wednesday. In fact I go once a month for the past 4 months. I'm joining another one tonight that's closer. I still plan to go to both once a month. Here's my reason why. The last meeting there were about 5 or 6 people who are THREE YEARS OUT and they still go to support groups. They say that's how they keep their weight off. It's inspiring to go to these meetings and hear people's stories. I strongly recommend it.

I missed the meeting last month but had been going since March...I agree, hearing other people's stories and having the people to bounce questions off of definitely helps keeping on track.

Since my last post here, 7 more pounds have come off...it hovers around for a little bit and then drops...but now being in the 330s is better than the 340s or 350s!! Just to think that this point 5 months ago, my scale read "Err" when I stepped on it being over 400lbs...that makes me feel good!!

I missed the June meeting but I'm hoping there will be one next Monday (it's usually the first Monday so I have to see if they moved it for the holiday). I just put on a few size tens that fit, not well enough to wear in public yet, but they closed, by golly. Size medium shirts are very flattering, fit pretty closely, but emphasize the figure nicely. I did post photos of me, at Christmas, at 3 months, and at 18 weeks.

On Wednesday I told a patron we were the same age and he said "You look a whole lot younger than that." Hoorah!

I'm still not eating or drinking as well as I thought I would be by now. I still stick mostly with the tried and the true and don't do a lot of experimenting. I have a whole new definition of comfort food - it's anything that sits well - refried beans, chili, sashimi, greek yogurt, cottage cheese.

I've tried 1/2 a slice of toast with tuna and cheese - stayed down, but hurt. Chicken comes back up unless it's very juicy and has a lot of sauce, same with ground beef and ground turkey.

I desperately need a routine for exercise. What I'm doing is better than nothing, but is too sporadic to be really helpful to muscle retention.

It's going to be a problem if they tell me to give up my protein drinks at 6 months. That's where I get the bulk of my protein. Now that my six pack of Torani Sugar Free syrups has arrived, I'm pretty happy with them.

It's lovely visiting with all of you here.

Good morning fellow Febs! I've got four more pounds before I hit the 80% of the total weight I want to lose. The scale has been very slow lately, but I'm not concerned. It just happens that way, the closer you get to your "ideal" weight. I'm like Karen and I'm just so fussy about what I eat. I'm usually doing refried bean as my food to go to when nothing else appeals to me. I'm sticking to the basics - chicken (usually thighs), pork tenderloin, shrimp, talapia, string beans, cukes. I found out at a party the other day that even one bite of four different desserts makes my pouch do flips in a teeny, tiny way. So I stopped before it got worse!!! I had a "Pure Protein" bar that had 18g of sugar alcohol and the same thing happened so I'm now avoiding things like that.

I'm still finding it difficult, even in this heat, to schedule all my liquids in. It's the scheduling - when I think about drinking it's not an hour after eating, then I forget to drink and it's now less than 1/2 hour before a meal. So I try to get a protein drink in for the liquid and the protein. I know I need to "up" it. I just have to get to it!! At least I'm now able to drink cold drinks but I still can't drink plain water.

And again like you Karen, I don't have any structured exercise regimen. I've been doing lots of heavy gardening and I have more energy the the energizer bunny (or did he die?) I need to do some weight lifting for my "lunch lady arms" and sit-ups for the belly. I wrenched my lower back while bending over to Miracle Gro my flowers and that's put me out for four days now. It's cramping my style. Can't do anything! But this, too shall pass!!

I would love to hear from all you other February people! POST!!

Hiya, Febs. Glad to hear everyone is doing so well, not counting the odd stall and gardening injury. :)

Annette, why are you waiting an hour after eating to drink? I should think a 1/2 hour by now would be fine...and you REALLY need to get a lot of water in, young lady!!

I, as always, have no problems to eat OR drink and I do plenty of both. I'm in the 1000-1200 cals per day range, that suits me well. I drink 2 L per day of water, plus my morning coffee and the water that I dissolve my B-vitamins in. I've lost about 55 lb so far and I'm feeling really good. My friend said the Starbucks guy was flirting with me today, but as usual, I never noticed -- I am too busy making sure that, despite the language barrier, my order is getting done just so, and no one's sneaking full-sugar syrups into my drink. :D My weight tends to stay at the same kg number (before the decimal point only, I ignore the grams) for at least a week or two, then move down to the next one. So I guess overall it's slow-ish and steady-ish. I don't have Energizer Bunny levels of energy yet, but I'm hoping that is still to come...

Happy July! Hope the weather's fine where you are, it's been lovely here.

I'm 21 pounds from my goal at 5 months out and finding that I'm trying to rationalize relaxing a little since I still have several months of honeymoon left. I'm trying hard to convince myself that I should go for the gusto, lose it all as fast as I can and then enjoy maintaining. Of course, the relaxing thing is all in my head since I can't really eat any of that stuff and feel guilty if I hit 1000 calories, but it's still in my head.

I'm hanging in there, still dropping weight but not as much as some of the rest of you. I still drink the protein shakes to make sure I get in all my protein. I am able to eat just about anything but haven't gone much beyond protein and fruit. I went on a cruise to Alaska and was able to enjoy the buffet....just tasting the fish, shrimp and salmon. I also need to get into an exercise routine now that I am home from vacation. Glad to hear everyone is doing well. I am 10 pounds from onderland...it doesn't really seem possible but it is coming. : )

I've lost 80 pounds now and my surgeon was a lot nicer the last time I saw her and she admitted that she had her doubts that I would do as well as I am. I have to admit though, despite losing weight, this past week my stomach has been an endless pit. I seems like this happens about once every six weeks since my surgery. I normally am NEVER hungry and have to force myself to remember to eat but then once every six weeks for about four or five days I have a raging appetite (and it's not related to PMS or anything). I still have trouble eating a lot too. I've been living on a mostly liquid and soft diet, the only hard or crunchy foods I can eat are bad carby stuff like gluten-free crackers. I can't eat or drink anything too sweet or too cold either still. The only weird/bad part about this entire process is how much my sense of taste has changed because it has really limited what I can drink, even certain plain water I can't stomach. I've been sticking with SmartWater and MetroElectro since even my Brita and Pur aren't tasting good to me. I can't remember if I mentioned going back to being a vegetarian since meat, chicken, and fish cause me to throw up but it's not a huge deal since I was a vegetarian for a large part of my life growing up. Other than that, I am hoping when I get on the scale tomorrow morning that my endless pit hasn't caused me a problem since the last time I weighed myself was three days ago.

Spent too much time in the sun on Saturday and while I did pick up nice tan, I feel drained and exhausted now...

I don't know if it is just that or if it is that I busted my butt to clean the house from top to bottom on Thursday evening / all day Friday for guests that never came :( coupled with the sun on Saturday...

Usually, I am stir crazy and want to get out of the house but I actually sat on the couch yesterday for the 1st time in a long while and watched a movie and the end of the Phillies game...

Perhaps its too much running around over the last week and my body is just catching up and telling me to cool it...but no matter what, I feel tired and don't feel like I am getting enough sleep.

85 lbs lost since surgery date, 167 lost since the all time high and 155 since I 1st met with the surgeon. Another follow-up appt. on Friday with the surgeon's office where I can tell them about my recent onslaught of lethargy...

Perhaps its too much running around over the last week and my body is just catching up and telling me to cool it...but no matter what, I feel tired and don't feel like I am getting enough sleep.

Dennis, you might be dehydrated. Can you get anymore fluids in you? I'm finding it very difficult to do so.

Sandy, I think you're doing great!! I'm also at a snails pace right now. I just think it's our bodies readjusting to the journey.

Karen, I'm right about where you are. I'm 23 pounds from goal and I'm not sure anything I do right now will help speed up the process to lose that last amount. Sure, exercise will probably help but heat and I do not get along. Sure it's much better than last year - it's not as hot and humid in NJ (it was an oppressive summer last year). I'll be joining a gym in September, so I'll be able to firm up some of my thigh muscles and arm muscles. But then I'm concerned about gaining weight, and then again, I know I'll look better , so who cares.

Swizzly, I think you're right about the liquid thing. I'm going to try to start drinking (sipping) liquids about a half hour after meals. I know I'll feel so much better.

A1993 - I also had the same problem with water and cold drinks. I still don't feel comfortable with plain water but I can now tolerate ice cold drinks. I just think it takes time. Some people on TT never are able to drink cold. Keep trying.

Edited by AnnetteNJ

I am so glad everybody is doing fine. I feel frustrated with my weigh loss. I started off at 236 (day of surgery) and I now weigh 172-174 lbs (depending what time of the day I weigh). I wish it would speed up, I am drinking my water, eating my protein and going to the gym at least 3x per week.

The doctor and the NUT told me that weigh loss would slow down because I am at a lower weight now but the frustration remains. I fit comfortably in a size 12 jeans, but my tops are a different story. I am still in an extra large, though now that I think about it they do look a little loose on me.

Anyways, I am happy we are all doing well.

Annette,

I think it is a little of dehydration and a little of a bug moving through me...I was able to drink ice cold water from the bottle yesterday for the 1st 1.5L...then after that, the water hurt my stomach again.

I think my stomach tolerated the water until I got the levels up and then said no more.

The funny thing is that I was drinking more than normal amounts of liquid (Powerade Zero Fruit Punch) but I think the sun just did me in, even though I was swimming.

I got some extra sleep over the last couple days and cut out most food (got my protein drinks in though) and while I still feel like I am sticky from the humidity, I am starting to feel better.

Keeping the liquid intake up though...over 80 oz a day!

on a side note, is anyone still extremely burpy?

It seems no matter what I ingest, regardless of how careful I am with making sure that I am NOT swallowing air, I burp a LOT!

I'm going to ask my doctor on Friday about it but wasn't sure if others were experiencing this too?

I'm the complete opposite. Since the immediate surgery gas left me those first few days out of the hospital, I have been unable to burp or fart since my surgery. I may have had the occasional small one here or there but nothing to write home about. My family and friends actually joke about it because I used to be a "champion burper" (I probably shouldn't brag about that) from the time I was a child until I had my surgery and now I can't even make myself burp at will (which was something I was always able to do and sometimes I feel the need to if I eat something wrong or too fast).

I've found I'm having some issues with getting liquid in. I thought I was getting more than I was until I was told I was dehydrated and the fact that I have hyperkalemia (low potassium) and tachycardia that it can be even more dangerous for me to be dehydrated. The problem is, I sleep A LOT due to a lot of my medical problems, I have good days and bad days (mostly bad right now since we are packing/moving/being stressed out and sick). If I am sleeping, I can't get liquid in, now can I? I've tried setting an alarm to get up to sip/drink but that doesn't work, I either sleep through it or I get sick from not sleeping the amount my body wants/needs. So my question is this, if I drink fluids like Pedialyte or SmartWater (with electrolytes) or other infused beverages with vitamins/minerals/electrolytes will it keep me hydrated enough during the days where I am down for most of the day? My surgeon wants me to get 64oz of liquid (minimum) a day. Some days I am lucky to get 32oz, on good days I can manage the 64oz but right now I am having more sick days than non-sick days. I see my PCP on Friday but he's not much help so if no one has an answer, I can try and see if he has one. I'm just worried I am going to end up with one of those pic lines or something. I don't even know how they work or what they really are, if someone could explain that to me as well.

Went to the doc's this AM...lost nearly 100 lbs since my pre-surgical appt. in February. Very pleased with my progress. I showed the PA(that has only seen me post op) a picture of me pre-meeting with the surgical team and she was wow'd. That made me happy! :)

So it seems like I was suffering from a bit of dehydration...busting my butt on Friday, spending time in the sun on Saturday and despite drinking 64 oz of fluid, it just wasn't enough. I had all the symptoms of dehydration and drinking over 140 oz yesterday, tanked me up so to speak.

But I mentioned some lower left side discomfort (not pain so much) and she did an examination - didn't hurt so much when she pressed on the area that was giving me pain but she asked me to cough when she pressed and WOW, did that hurt! :angry:

So I have to go in for an IV contrast CT scan of my abdomen and pelvis...that is tentatively scheduled for Wednesday AM. Involves drinking a bunch of barium...FUN!

So I have to pick that up today and get instructions in case they can get me insurance approved before Wednesday. If there is a hernia, I will have to discuss the surgical options - can't be any worse than the last surgery, right?

Hey folks!

Checking in. I'm doing well. Things have been extremely busy around these parts. I've been spending so much time getting ready to relocate for grad school that I haven't had much time for posting. I do check out the threads now and then though.

So I've been working out with gusto, trying to make the most of the honeymoon period. I'm about 26 lbs from goal now. I run about 3miles 3 times a week, bike 5-10 miles 2-3 times a week, and hit the eliptical for 3miles about 3 times a week. I've also been doing my old standard weightlifting routine: complementary muscle groups (back & biceps, chest & triceps, shoulders, legs & abdominals) 2 - 3 excercises per muscle group, 3 sets of 10 reps at 80 - 85% of my 1 rep max.

All in all about 2 hours at the gym 5 days a week. (Probably more than you wanted to know, but I thought some of you might be looking for workout information).

I've had no trouble whatsoever with any foods I've tried yet. The worst I've had is gurgling in my tummy to let me know that I shouldn't be eating something. Even beef is on the menu. I've been off of shakes since a month out, though sometimes if I don't feel like eating breakfast I'll make a shake.

Speaking of breakfasts; I've had some trouble getting food in for the first meal of the day. I'm just not hungry at all and it feels slightly uncomfortable to pack it in, but I've been doing it without incident.

I did have my first incident of eating too much/too fast recently. It took me three hours but I finally got it to come back up and ohh boy did I ever feel relieved! I won't be doing that again anytime soon if I can help it!

I'm ~216lbs today and still checking daily. I know it's probably not helpful, but I like to see what's happening in the morning when I wake up and at night when I go to bed. It's not something that I really keep in my mind or obsess on so I guess it isn't really an issue for me to keep using the scale. I don't get hung up on the stalls, I just use it as incentive to kickass in the gym that day!

So that's it from the Science Guy. I'll catch you all later!