RVAGirl

Any April Sleevers?

Just curious if there is anyone else out there having the Vertical Sleeve Surgery in April? I start my pre-op diet on March 21st and my surgery is April 4th. :D

Just curious if there is anyone else out there having the Vertical Sleeve Surgery in April? I start my pre-op diet on March 21st and my surgery is April 4th. :D

I'm just a week after you on April 12th! :) I don't have a liquid diet that's mandatory, but I'll start one the end of March to be safe.

You should also join the April surgeries thread here: http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/topic/56815-april-2011-staplers/page__st__20__p__706707#entry706707 I'm definitely not opposed to having an April Sleeve and an April Surgeries thread as long as it's okay w/ the mods?

I am getting sleeved on April 5th!

I'm just a week after you on April 12th! :) I don't have a liquid diet that's mandatory, but I'll start one the end of March to be safe.

You should also join the April surgeries thread here: http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/topic/56815-april-2011-staplers/page__st__20__p__706707#entry706707 I'm definitely not opposed to having an April Sleeve and an April Surgeries thread as long as it's okay w/ the mods?

Yay, we'll all be within a week of each other :) So freakin exited!

As of the 15th I am changed from RNY to the sleeve. My surgery is scheduled April 1st. I start my pre op diet the 18th but not looking forward to it. Good luck & keep us updated.

Hoping for late April or early May here -- just waiting on paperwork now.

But I gotta say I'm loving your goal boots. I have a pair (lace ups, not buckles.) I had to get loooong ribbon to make them fit. Cute, but not the original laces. I'd love to be able to buckle those suckers. :D

As of the 15th I am changed from RNY to the sleeve. My surgery is scheduled April 1st. I start my pre op diet the 18th but not looking forward to it. Good luck & keep us updated.

I have an April 8th date--I am still torn between the sleeve & the GBP...I don't know which one i'll do. I hear good & bad things about both.

I have an April 8th date--I am still torn between the sleeve & the GBP...I don't know which one i'll do. I hear good & bad things about both.

Wow, that's cutting it down to the wire :) I was going with GBP and decided on the sleeve because I was afraid my digestive system would be dramatically altered for the rest of my life. I want to lose the weight so when I'm long out post-op and hopefully smoking hot I can enjoy a day at Disneyland with my family and not be concerned about dumping or other things. I realize not all GBP people have intestinal issues just like how there are finnicky sleeves but it was one of the reasons I made my decision. Even though a more rapid pace of weight loss was appealing, I was also concerned about malabsorption and I know NSAIDs are discouraged with all surgeries but my mom has some serious medical conditions and I think about my future if I were to need NSAIDs. There are enough NSAID alternatives that it should be okay, but it's something I think about.

I think it's such an individual choice based on weight, diet history, preference, eating habits/patterns, blood sugar levels, etc. I'm sure whichever surgery you decide on you will ultimately be happy with it as you get healthier and stronger.

Wow, that's cutting it down to the wire :) I was going with GBP and decided on the sleeve because I was afraid my digestive system would be dramatically altered for the rest of my life. I want to lose the weight so when I'm long out post-op and hopefully smoking hot I can enjoy a day at Disneyland with my family and not be concerned about dumping or other things. I realize not all GBP people have intestinal issues just like how there are finnicky sleeves but it was one of the reasons I made my decision. Even though a more rapid pace of weight loss was appealing, I was also concerned about malabsorption and I know NSAIDs are discouraged with all surgeries but my mom has some serious medical conditions and I think about my future if I were to need NSAIDs. There are enough NSAID alternatives that it should be okay, but it's something I think about.

I think it's such an individual choice based on weight, diet history, preference, eating habits/patterns, blood sugar levels, etc. I'm sure whichever surgery you decide on you will ultimately be happy with it as you get healthier and stronger.

Well said; thank you for those kind words. I have always had a problem w/ this type of decisionmaking; sometimes I wish I didn't have a choice. I keep switiching back & forth. I have to decide by Monday, because my dr's offc needs to pre-cert me. I have spoken w/ a cople of people who have had the surgeries & I have heard a lot of positives. I am not even sure the rapidity of weight loss is that much more skewed twd bypass patients...this guy had the VSG in late January & he has already dropped 50 lbs. What a life, huh?

Well said; thank you for those kind words. I have always had a problem w/ this type of decisionmaking; sometimes I wish I didn't have a choice. I keep switiching back & forth. I have to decide by Monday, because my dr's offc needs to pre-cert me. I have spoken w/ a cople of people who have had the surgeries & I have heard a lot of positives. I am not even sure the rapidity of weight loss is that much more skewed twd bypass patients...this guy had the VSG in late January & he has already dropped 50 lbs. What a life, huh?

There does seem to be a lot more information regarding GBS, but it seem like the VSG is picking up steam. I think part of it is that some insurances don't cover it so for a while a lot of people getting VSG were self payers who opted not to do the band.

At the end of the day overall weight loss is going to depend on your starting weight, body comp, and how much you put into it. At the end of the day WLS, no matter which one, is a tool to help you reach your goals. Just like different types of diets (South Beach, Atkins, Jenny Craig, WW) and other tools some work better and make sense for different people.

There does seem to be a lot more information regarding GBS, but it seem like the VSG is picking up steam. I think part of it is that some insurances don't cover it so for a while a lot of people getting VSG were self payers who opted not to do the band.

At the end of the day overall weight loss is going to depend on your starting weight, body comp, and how much you put into it. At the end of the day WLS, no matter which one, is a tool to help you reach your goals. Just like different types of diets (South Beach, Atkins, Jenny Craig, WW) and other tools some work better and make sense for different people.

Agreed! I made my decision & have informed them that I am going w/ VSG. Had my EGD this am, I am so relieved that part's over. I wish both of us a LOT OF LUCK!

Agreed! I made my decision & have informed them that I am going w/ VSG. Had my EGD this am, I am so relieved that part's over. I wish both of us a LOT OF LUCK!

Welcome to the "team"! It's going to be an exciting month for all of us!

Good luck on your upcoming surgery, and I hope that you keep us posted on how you are doing. My surgery is scheduled for April 28, and I have a ways to go. Have been on the recommended "diet" for two weeks and have dropped 10 pounds. I am excited and glad, and the changes that I am making towards eating healthier is getting easier. I was on the Optifast diet plan for 4 months last year and it was very hard and I couldnt stick with it. I was very nervous about going back on regular food because I was afraid I wouldnt be able to handle it. I was right. But something is different this year and it is easier. Maybe because I know I've bout run out of options that for some reason, it is finally clicking in my head that I need to be eating healthier. I've also found it fun keeping track of what I eat on Myfitnesspal.com on my phone and it has helped me immensely stay on track. Now I have the confidence to know that in another week, when I start the total liquid part, that eventually when I am able to be back on solid food, I won't be as concerned, because I know that I am handling it now, so I will be able to handle it later.

I think the decision that I made to have the surgery is the best decision I have made in a very long time, and though I know from reading everyone's entries that it is not going to be a picnic, I also know from reading their entries that they don't regret it either, and are finding a more healthier life at the end of the road. I am very thankful that everyone is so honest in sharing their journeys and their dreams. I am hopeful that all of their wishes and dreams will come true. Including mine.

Welcome to the "team"! It's going to be an exciting month for all of us!

Thanks, Megan!

This is my first post I am pretty sure, I am scheduled for my surgery April 13th. I have been on pre-op diet for 3 weeks or so, I was doing great and then stated thinking man, I want to eat this, and that, and broke off of it a few times. I have lost 20+ pounds though. I am 6'3 460 as of today. I was down to 457 or so... lol

I am getting nervous now and upset at myself for not really trying to lose weight on my own while I want through a year+ of appointments and insurance requirements. I am 33 years old, and I know I could do it, bu tI know it would be very very difficult. I wish I would have been on this forum a long time ago. Wish me luck,