Lori88

The $ I am saving

Well I just can not belive how much $ I had spent on "food items" before the surgery. So now there is no more take out, muchie runs, coffee runs, junk food in the weekly shopping, and to top it all off I quit smoking. So now I have all this extra $ - woo hoo - so I went and bought me a 2009 Nissan Cube! I love it. So now I am losing weight and getting richer. Cant beat that! :P

Awesome! If only I could get my teenagers to eat like me and then I would be rich too :rolleyes:

Maybe in a couple of years when they are all done with college????

That is so funny because my boyfriend says the same thing about me! He was like "Wow! Our grocery bill/eating out is so much cheaper now!" I was like "Gee, thanks, lol!". Now if only I can convince him to eat like me and we would save even more money!!! Oh well, small steps small steps.

My grocery bill went down, but not a ton since the quality of food I buy now went up... and that usually costs more. Plus when I add in the price of protein and vitamins... I think it all evens out.

My grocery bill went down, but not a ton since the quality of food I buy now went up... and that usually costs more. Plus when I add in the price of protein and vitamins... I think it all evens out.

My thoughts, exactly.

My wife says it is incredible how much our grocery store spending went down. Problem is that

over time we get used to the current costs and are really forgetting how much more

it used to cost.

The real big change is our eating out costs. Average check has gone down allot.

Our average check used to be pretty big. I almost always ordered appetizers and

desserts with the entr

Yeah, I've seen this happen a time or two.. people go out and buy expensive items thinking the bills go down but that is really a very short period of time.. we don't eat 2 oz of food at a meal forever, it rises to 6 to 9 oz (males more than females, typically)...

And once you start adding back in quality fruits and veggies along with quality meats and fish, then add in the supplements needed, it can even out or even cost more. :(

I have found that at a year out my grocery bill is about the same or maybe more than it was prior to surgery. I am buying better quality items. The one place I am saving is eating out. I hardly ever go out to eat. That is unless it is on a date, and I usually don't pay for that. (not by my choice, but my boyfriends) As a result I feel I am pretty much breaking even. That is with the vitamins and better quality foods.

Yeah, we are saving a lot on not eating out right now, esp with me being stuck at home post-op. I could easily spend $20 day on breakfast/lunch so not spending that money is really helping us right now.

BUT I just have to ask, a Nissan Cube? lol That is my least favorite car in the whole world. As long as you love it though, that's all that matters. ;)

Yeah, we are saving a lot on not eating out right now, esp with me being stuck at home post-op. I could easily spend $20 day on breakfast/lunch so not spending that money is really helping us right now.

BUT I just have to ask, a Nissan Cube? lol That is my least favorite car in the whole world. As long as you love it though, that's all that matters. ;)

LOL.. I think they're really cute! I like those and the kia soul for styles, lol...

In some ways I am saving money because candy, chips, and soda are all expensive. However, so is protein powder, fage yogurt, sugar free coffee syrups, etc. I suppose it all balances out. I don't feel guilty about buying good quality foods for myself though because of how little I eat at a time.

The reason I am saving is becuase we used to do late night runs to the store to get junk food -or coffee and donut runs - icecream was my choice at least once a week - plus the going out to eat at least three times a week - plus the take out on the weekends - I had very bad habits - so easily $70-$100 a week savings including no more buying the cigs - that was $8 a pack here in RI.. As far as the Cube - it is so fun to drive........;)

Yeah, I've seen this happen a time or two.. people go out and buy expensive items thinking the bills go down but that is really a very short period of time.. we don't eat 2 oz of food at a meal forever, it rises to 6 to 9 oz (males more than females, typically)...

And once you start adding back in quality fruits and veggies along with quality meats and fish, then add in the supplements needed, it can even out or even cost more. :(

Yeah, what Kel said.

Plus, I didn't realize I was going to be spending so much on good quality vitamins, protein shakes, the dramatically increased amount of doctor's visits and tests for everything that keeps going wrong, and crazy money for every kind of laxative, stool softener and enema under the sun :(

I think the Nissan Cube looks like a Gumbymobile! lol

For me, I always did by quality food (like the Fage yogurt, and gluten free food, etc.) but I ate A LOT more of it than I can now so it lasts longer hence the smaller bill. I also find that the vitamins and whatnot are still not really adding to anything. I've actually stopped taking certain medications since my surgery that were very expensive (my prescription coverage ran out like two months after I got my insurance coverage because I was taking SO MANY exspensive pills) so I think that has helped why things have also become less.

Yeah, what Kel said.

Plus, I didn't realize I was going to be spending so much on good quality vitamins, protein shakes, the dramatically increased amount of doctor's visits and tests for everything that keeps going wrong, and crazy money for every kind of laxative, stool softener and enema under the sun :(

Oy..... at least you can get cheap miralax at costco! lol.. And my doc stopped my colace... but I do find that all the requirements for food/supplements & meds DO add up to more now, vs before.. My pill box keeps getting more and more full, but that has as much to do with my age than anything else, LOL.

I asked my husband if he had an extra pillbox somewhere (that man never gets rid of anything - he has an office supply store stashed in his closet) and he brought me one. Yeah, it holds about 4 pills per day - not gonna cut it. One a side note, I had my first Celebrate Iron + C, Berry flavor - Yum!

Since I haven't been getting lunch out, my personal spending money is lasting longer, but I've been stocking up on vitamins and protein so the credit card bills are not making us happy. I think I'm stocked for awhile though. I'll need a new daily vitamin when I use up the ENS plus protein. I tried the Centrum liquid and threw it out.

I'm a pretty cheap date now. I eat a little of what my 110 lb wife eats, when we go out.

My money savings is from not buying while at work. I drive a truck locally, so I used to stop and eat in the morning, then at lunch, and sometimes on my way home. Now I take a 1/2 cup of what ever I had for dinner the night before, and I never stop.

I'm a pretty cheap date now. I eat a little of what my 110 lb wife eats, when we go out.

My money savings is from not buying while at work. I drive a truck locally, so I used to stop and eat in the morning, then at lunch, and sometimes on my way home. Now I take a 1/2 cup of what ever I had for dinner the night before, and I never stop.

Good for you. I seldom stop at the quick shops. As luck would have it

DW wanted a bag of ice and a bottled water. So I went in one yesterday. BAM, Reese's

candy everywhere. I now remember one of the reasons I stay away from those

places. They had the new small Reese cups by the register and I picked

one up and read the nutritional label. Didn't buy any. We travel in our

RV allot and my favorite fueling spots are overwhelmed with candy since

they got new owners.

/mike/