Fish?

Jeszika330

Hey all,

I hate fish... but I want to like it! I haven't tried it post surgery but I'm crossing my fingers that my taste has changed. I've found a way to keep down protein shakes, I can eat anything!!!! But as for my question what type of fish should I start with? How should I cook it? I know nothing about the different kinds or flavors. Information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I only eat fish (not meat).

Probably the easiest to start with would be canned tuna with a touch of fat free (or lf) mayo. I like to add some finely chopped scallions to. You can use FAGE yogurt instead of mayo - with a touch of lemon juice, it compliments the tuna and brings some protein to the party too.

Cold shrimp is another favourite of mine - and lobster but that one usually waits until payday!

Tilapia is one of the mildest of all fish - I loved it baked in foil: Tilapia with Veggies Baked in Foil Packets

Early out, I'd recommend you peel, deseed and chop the tomato. Good with a sprinkling of freshly grated Parmesan too.

You can use that recipe for pretty much any fish.

Talapia is a very mild fish to start with and easy to cook. Keep it simple at first...Just salt and pepper. it cooks very nicely on a george foreman type grill.

I'm going to add my vote for you try tilapia. I love fish but my hubby hates it (unless it is deep friend from a place like Long John Silvers). He now loves tilapia. Like the others have said, it is very mild tasting and it is easy to cook. I get the coconut crusted tilapia from Safeway if at all possible. Delicious with their pineapple salsa. Another way to make it is to get a small can of those french fried onions (you know the ones that are in the green bean casserole) and crush a few of them up very fine. Dip your fish in an a light egg wash and then coat with the onions. Bake at 375 for about 12 to 15 minutes (maybe even longer) depending on how thick your fish is and how crunchy you want the coating. Use any kind of topping (the pineapple salsa is really good or ****tail sauce, tartar sauce, etc.) or eat it plain. I usually serve it with some grilled onions and zucchini. Mmmmmm I think I know what we're having for dinner tonight.

I always forget to get the fish out of the freezer to thaw, so I use this recipe:

Tilapia (Frozen)

Servings: 1

Microwave (1 fillet)

1. Drizzle microwave safe dish with olive oil. Add individual frozen fillets to dish, drizzle with olive oil. Salt and pepper lightly.

2. Top with desired sauce or a small pat of button. Cover with plastic wrap, leaving a corner open for venting.

3. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Check for doneness and cook in additional 15 second intervals until fish is opaque and flakes easily. This will take 30-60 additional seconds.

Grilled

1. Heat grill to high. Cut foil large enough to completely enclose fish. Drizzle foil with olive oil.

2. Place frozen fillets on foil, drizzle with olive oil. Salt and pepper lightly. Completely enclose fish in foil and place directly on grill.

3. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until fish is cooked through, checking after 10 minutes.

Pan Seared

1. Heat skillet. Add a Tbsp of olive oil and a pat of butter.

2. Season 1/2 -1 cup flour with salt & lemon pepper. Dredge fish in flour to coat on both sides. Saute 3-4 minutes per side or until fish is golden brown and crispy outside/opaque inside. Drizzle with chopped parsley and lemon juice or make a pan sauce as on the front of this card.

Nutrition (per serving): 96 calories, 15 calories from fat, 1.7g total fat, 50mg cholesterol, 52mg sodium, 302mg potassium, 0g carbohydrates, 0g fiber, 0g sugar, 20.1g protein.

Mmmmmm..... lobster and crab legs are my favorite forms of fish.

I ate salmon tonight, which is also excellent with a bit of lemon juice and pepper or some Cajun spice (how we had it tonight). During the summer we grill it, but tonight it just went into the oven.

I really need to figure out this tilapia thing. I like fish, but I HATE tilapia. I've tried it multiple times and it's never good. My husband feels the same way. Iowa must have bad tilapia... My favorites are cod and haddock. Both mild white fish... very flaky.

I know this is the easy way out, but I buy the frozen Tilapia at the grocery store. It is already seasoned and all I have to do it pop the frozen piece into the oven, turn once and I am done. The type I get is either parmesan encrusted or pecan encrusted. I was suprised that it is low cal and comes with a sauce. I get mine at Krogers. I am sure it can be found in many stores though.

Joining the band wagon on tilapia. I am not a fish lover, but really like this fish. I season with a bit of salt and pepper and tarragon. BTW, a nice side benefit is that 4 oz. of tilapia has 21g of protein.

Before surgery the only fish I liked was from Long John Silver's! UGGGGGH. Can't even stand the thought of that now.

Now I CRAVE fish at least 2 nights a week. Where I live they have a fish called Swai - which is very mild and inexpensive. I have tried Tilapia and Salmon as well and those are ok, but can get expensive. The Orange Roughy is pretty good also (again, pricey though).

Tilapia is one of the mildest of all fish - I loved it baked in foil: Tilapia with Veggies Baked in Foil Packets

The comment above - I totally agree !!!!!!!!! I love it !!!

Salmon is my absolute favorite fish. It has a stronger flavor than tilapia, but I love it. Shrimp is a close second.

I make a lemon, butter and dill sauce for my salmon when I make it, but the butter is low fat margerine. Very tasty.

Shrimp is about the only seafood I will cook (or have had luck with cooking) at home. I really like Tilapia....and I don't like most fish so that's saying a lot. I sure do like the sound of some of the recipes I've seen here. Makes me want to try again with cooking it at home sometime!

Sorry but I wont touch tilapia, trust me google farmed raised tilapia diets or just go to your local fish farm for first hand.. nasty fish Heck even Mike Rowe on Dirty Jobs did an episode on this fish.

Salmon, Tuna, Shark, Swordfish, Florida Grouper, are all more flavorful and in most cases better for you.

But if you like it, well more power to you

Tilapia is good, but I can only handle it once in a blue moon, other than that, being from AK, i LOVE Salmon, lol But I drown it in Lemon Juice, and the flavors seem to go hand in hand. Same with Crab. yummm!