SummerEA

Life immediately after panni...?

Hello all,

I am scheduled to have a panni on May 12 and I am worrying about a few things... :confused:

I was hoping to take classes this spring/summer but I don't know if I'll be feeling well enough to go back to school...?

For anyone who has had this surgery and is willing to share their experiences or talk about it, I would really appreciate it. I have heard good and bad things... mainly bad about the time immediately following the surgery and the amount of pain and recovery time. :(

I will admit, I don't mind the recovery time and I will deal with the pain. I just wonder about other people's experiences after the surgery... I will be bored out of my mind if I can't do anything at all but I don't want to overdo it and cause any problems.

Am I stupid for wanting to take a course so soon after my surgery? (it would start May 30...) Is this a very bad idea, a minorly bad idea or a semi-ok idea?

I need feedback from people who have been there and have done that because no one I know has any idea what I'm in for or what to expect at all... :confused:

Hey!

I think you are talking about a Tummy Tuck, but I could totally be wrong. I haven't had one yet, but I have had breast implants done twice. The first time I had them done on a Friday and was back on class on Tuesday. The second time I had them done, it was during winter break so I did have almost 2 weeks to recover. I also started grad school a week and a half after my GBS.

I think if you are intending on just going to class you will be fine once you are off pain medication. Just be careful driving and lifting!

Good Luck :)

There is a panni (panniculectomy) - it involves the removal of excess skin and fat from the tummy area.

A tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) - involves the removal of excess skin and fat from the middle and lower abdomen in order to tighten the muscle and fascia of the abdominal wall.

I haven't had experience of either (Tricare will only perform the panniculectomy anyway) but hopefully, someone can jump in and share their experiences.

I am having a Panni, not a TT... Similar but not the same thing and mine isn't done by a plastic surgeon.

I had my RNY open... So, I was in hospital for a week and then basically useless for 6 or so after. I didn't drive for almost 5 months and I waited 3 before I went back to work and even then it was 3-4 hour shifts 3-4 times per week.

The classes would be 2-3 hours per day, M-F... I'm hoping someone can tell me if that and homework is a bad idea...?

Good Morning,

I had a panni done with some muscle tightening here in Alberta on March 3rd 2011. I am still very sore. I went back to work two and a half weeks after and that was a big mistake. My Doctor recommended that I take 4-6 weeks off. DO IT!! Doctors don't usually give you more time than you need. I am still very sore and swollen. My energy level is very low and I am still patiently waiting to get back to "normal" I honestly think I healed better after my open RnY. My incision looks great now I am just waiting to be able to go back to work and to the gym. I am not sure what your Doctor will recommend but follow his/her advice and take the time you need to heal. We went through an amazing transformation and lets enjoy every minute of it.

Good luck to you on your panni and if you have any questions please feel free to msg me and I will answer any questions that I can. I also have some pictures if you want I will try and download them to the computer.

Cheers

I had a TT, and I was miserable for about three weeks after, couldn't stand up straight, and had no energy. I have a high pain tolerance, and it was definitely not easy. I returned to work at about 2 1/2 weeks, but I work from home, and was able to take frequent breaks to nap. I had brain surgery about six months after, and that was a piece of cake. I would say that your class is not an ideal time frame, but wish you the best in your decision.

I had a TT, and I was miserable for about three weeks after, couldn't stand up straight, and had no energy. I have a high pain tolerance, and it was definitely not easy. I returned to work at about 2 1/2 weeks, but I work from home, and was able to take frequent breaks to nap. I had brain surgery about six months after, and that was a piece of cake. I would say that your class is not an ideal time frame, but wish you the best in your decision.

I had a TT, hernia repair and lipo on my thighs and I was on pain medicine for 5 weeks. The first 2-3 weeks were pretty rough and I had no complications. There was a lot of pain. I do think you are pushing it and I would wait for another time to take the class.

I am having a Panni, not a TT... Similar but not the same thing and mine isn't done by a plastic surgeon.

I had my RNY open... So, I was in hospital for a week and then basically useless for 6 or so after. I didn't drive for almost 5 months and I waited 3 before I went back to work and even then it was 3-4 hour shifts 3-4 times per week.

The classes would be 2-3 hours per day, M-F... I'm hoping someone can tell me if that and homework is a bad idea...?

I think you are probably overly ambitious with that school schedule. Maybe you could take an online class instead

of daily travel. Also you might be able to audit the class, then if you really can handle the stress you would have

a great overview to complete the course next time it is offered and no penalty if it becomes too much for you.

Just some ideas.

/mike/

I had a tummy tuck and breast lift at the same time. I was in the hospital from a Friday-Monday. Probably could have gone home Sunday but my husband had a nasty GI flu bug and my surgeon didn't want me anywhere near him. I went home with 4 drains. 2 came out 1 week after surgery and the other 2 didn't come out until 2-3 weeks after the surgery. Pain was certainly an issue but I could control it with pain pills. I needed them though. I was off of them probably about 3 weeks post-op. It was better once the drains were out. My biggest issue was exhaustion. I was SO tired. You would be surprised how much blood you lose with a tummy tuck. It can be pretty major, so be prepared to feel like a wet noodle for quite a few weeks. I'm an RN and went back to work at 6 weeks. I couldn't have handled it earlier. Even at 6 weeks I was still having muscle spasms and needing to take some Valium to settle them down. I did have the muscle tightening though, which caused the increase of muscle spasms.

Thank you for all of your help and advice! I'm sorry I haven't responded sooner, I still don't know how this new forum format works exactly and I can never seem to find where the threads I was posting to or watching are...? :(

I ended up getting a nasty flu bug that wiped me out for almost 2 weeks and had to withdraw from a class so the classes I had planned to take this summer had to change and I got rid of the classes in May/June. I am taking one that starts July 4 but it is online (til August 10) and another that is July 18-29, M-F, 8-4. I'm looking forward to being back in class (get a few things out of the way) but also glad to have time to take a break, rest and heal.

I decided after I dropped the class to treat myself to a trip somewhere warm and not too expensive so I cashed in my Airmiles and I'm off to Florida and a cruise to the Bahamas on Saturday! I figured if I can't swim until my incisions heal and I'm guessing sand may be a bad thing, I might as well get some sun, sand and water in while I can! Plus, I've never been to Florida, the Bahamas or on a cruise so I am SOOOO excited! (I'm honestly a little nervous as well... I am traveling alone.)

I have a random question though: I have heard from some people that they were more comfortable after their TT laying flat or standing upright and from others that basically a fetal position was the best (knees close to chest)...? Any opinions on that one?

Thanks again and I may be back to ask for more advice right before surgery or just afterwards. :)

Had my panniculectomy on May 2 2011, drains were remove after 8 days. i'm sore with some Pain but healing, returning to work next week (3 weeks).

could not get it covered by UHC after 3 appeals. there was a clause in the plan not covering the remove of excess skin.

Edited by dream716

I had a tt , bl, ba 4 weeks ago this Thursday- I took 11 days off from work and never was in the fetal position- I am more comfortable at an elevated position on my back- sooooo lots of pillows- I stopped pain meds 12 days out and took 1 at night on day 12 and 13 and then nothing- i am doing well- I even went to the beach swimming last week :)

good luck

I had a tt , bl, ba 4 weeks ago this Thursday- I took 11 days off from work and never was in the fetal position- I am more comfortable at an elevated position on my back- sooooo lots of pillows- I stopped pain meds 12 days out and took 1 at night on day 12 and 13 and then nothing- i am doing well- I even went to the beach swimming last week :)

good luck

Thats what I like to hear. I am having a TT and arm lift on June 22 and leave for three weeks of grad school on July 10th. I think if I take it easy I should be fine. I will take my pillow to class to make me comfortable and sleep a lot.

This is possibly TMI but I need advice...

I'm a little over a week out and still on pain meds... I spent 4 days in hospital (I'm in Canada and it isn't an outpatient procedure here) and came home w/no drains... The nurse as I left said, "some weeping from the incision site is normal, especially in the bellybutton area" (I had my bellybutton rebuilt basically)

Now, I am having a bit of "weeping" or "seeping" as I have called it from a couple of spots on my incisions. One is right where the incision from my sternum down intersects with the one from hip to hip and the other is just slightly (less than 3") from that point to the right. The drainage is bloody and clear fluid mixed (could be verging on yellow - kind of reminds me of the fluid that builds under those weird band-aids that form a "seal" or whatever) and it doesn't smell weird. I don't have a fever either. One spot has been draining a bit of fluid off and on since after I showered Thursday afternoon and the other started after I showered yesterday and wasn't too bad yesterday but overnight has been leaking more. I was reading elsewhere on here that part of it could be that I'm up/about too much or possibly lifting too much, etc...?

I guess I just want to know if this sounds normal before I panic about it. I've been reading on here about seroma's but I don't seem to be leaking that much fluid and I don't have any of the other symptoms that would indicate infection (major redness or red streaks around incision site, discharge that smells weird, fever, etc.)

I did see my GP on Wednesday and he said everything looks good but it wasn't seeping when I saw him.

Thanks all...

Edited by SummerEA

good luck

Do you think I will be able to go to grad school 18 days after a TT? I don't have to drive. I will be walking around campus to get to classes.

I'm a little over a week out and still on pain meds... I spent 4 days in hospital (I'm in Canada and it isn't an outpatient procedure here) and came home w/no drains... The nurse as I left said, "some weeping from the incision site is normal, especially in the bellybutton area" (I had my bellybutton rebuilt basically)

Now, I am having a bit of "weeping" or "seeping" as I have called it from a couple of spots on my incisions. One is right where the incision from my sternum down intersects with the one from hip to hip and the other is just slightly (less than 3") from that point to the right. The drainage is bloody and clear fluid mixed (could be verging on yellow - kind of reminds me of the fluid that builds under those weird band-aids that form a "seal" or whatever) and it doesn't smell weird. I don't have a fever either. One spot has been draining a bit of fluid off and on since after I showered Thursday afternoon and the other started after I showered yesterday and wasn't too bad yesterday but overnight has been leaking more. I was reading elsewhere on here that part of it could be that I'm up/about too much or possibly lifting too much, etc...?

I guess I just want to know if this sounds normal before I panic about it. I've been reading on here about seroma's but I don't seem to be leaking that much fluid and I don't have any of the other symptoms that would indicate infection (major redness or red streaks around incision site, discharge that smells weird, fever, etc.)

I did see my GP on Wednesday and he said everything looks good but it wasn't seeping when I saw him.

Thanks all...

I don't think this is TMI, but I'm only reading the post now and realize that no one really responded to you and you never came back to let us know what was going on. Was everything okay?

Thanks all...

How's the seeping and how are you doing since surgery?