fgsfsf

Metamucil?

can we take that for constipation. Since my iron is working it's wonderfully constpating magic on me and I take it 2x a day can I just add metimucil (sp?) everyday too? Heres what I find: since sugery (12/29) I haven't needed my zantac due to hiatal hernia repair. So that's great but!!! When I get backed up that's when I can feel the acids. I wanna keep everything moving and following the one way signs of my innards vut this traffic jam I got goin on needs some intervention. I know people shouldn't take laxatives regularly so I was wondering about the metimucil stuff.

anyone???

I was wondering this also, but for "dumping syndrom" because I was talking to my PCP, because I was experiencing something along the lines of dumping syndrome [unrelated to WLS, and I'm still pre op] where every morning I would get really sick, and get bad stomach pains and have to go to the bathroom like immediately every 10 min, and she was telling me that its most likely my gallbladder, and since I'm getting it removed during my GBS, that if I drink/take metamucil at night, that the fiber will harden the stool and won't hurt as much or make me feel like I have to go every 10 min in the mornings, and it worked the very next morning! So i always wondered if this could work post op, if you just take it religiously, if it'll help..anyway, thats just a long side note, haha for all we know, Metamucil could be some post op miracle, haha.

But I really dont see why you couldnt take it, if I were you, I'd get the powder so you dont have to worry about the pill...You just mix it in one cup of water...to me it doesnt taste bad AT all, if you use cold water, it taste like orange juice to me! The only think is you gotta stir it really good or else it'll start to feel gritty.

Metamucil is also really great for lowering cholesterol! I got to huge tubs of it from Costco for like $20.

I will try it if it's alright too..dont see why it wouldn't be but who knows? I could use cholesterol lowering too. Just had labs and even with meds I'm still high for bad and low for good. What the heck? I can't seem to get cholesterol straight and I eat healthy now!!

my doctor told me to take benefiber 2 times a day and a stool softner in the evening if I felt like this

I am now a bonafide Miralax groupie! Nothing better for this issue. I can't tell you about Metamucil but Miralax does the trick.

Tabitha,

Unless you're able to drink at least the recommended 64oz plus, I wouldn't recommend it.

Metamucil (and other psyllium fiber based products) can make your constipation worse because psyllium absorbs liquid in the intestine in an effort to form a bulky stool that is easier to pass.

If you don't drink a lot of fluid, your stool will be too hard and that can cause a blockage.

It can also cause some painful bloating and gas issues.

I'd recommend Miralax (or cheaper polyethylene glycol 3350) over anything and it's also helpful to have some glycerine suppositories in the house too - they can help too.