dFaults

I AM getting a LapBand!

Since I have joined TT I have noticed that many others that have gotten other types of WLS seem to think that the LapBand is not a useful tool. I beg to differ. Yes, there are ways to get around the band and return to the person that you were but the main intent of the band is to be used as a tool. You don't just get the band and expect the weight to fall off. Yes it is probably possible to maintain your current diet and lose since it does restrict the amount of food you eat but I'm sure people get around that too hence the lack of weight lost. What I'm trying to say is that don't judge the band, judge the person with the band. My plan is to change my diet (doing that now before the band) exercise and make good choices. I know people who have had WLS, both band and RNY, that in the beginning lost the weight and kept it off for a few years but returned to their old habits. I pray that I do not follow in their footsteps but who is to say? Am I scared, nervous, anxious? Yes. Not for the surgery, but for years down the line when the real test comes. I know that RIGHT NOW, the band is best for me. I have high blood pressure, and young children that I want to chase! My aunt had RNY in october, she was 2lbs lighter than me, a 1/2 in shorter than me, but with her other conditions, her surgeon recommended RNY, mine did not.

What I'm trying to say really is that don't judge me or anyone else for the type of surgery that we have choosen. Respect me as I respect you because you don't know my situation nor I know yours.

Thank you and have a wonderful day and keep your eyes on the ultimate prize of better health and happiness!

Dora

Edited by mistymee
language

When someone comes here that hasn't been successful with the band, I don't judge them.. and I don't think any one of us should ever judge them for that.

The band can work for some.. See Sassy & Suebry for two shining examples. But it also doesn't always work even if one follows the plan to a T. We've seen that happen more than I'd like to count, which might account for why so many here are vocally against the band. I hope you're one that the band works for.. you sound dedicated to the requirements.. so that's good.

Dora :) congrats on band choice :) I am banded myself and for me this was only option. I didn't want my insides rearranged and have less weight to lose than others so band was solid choice for me. Best of luck to ya hun!! So far I'm lovin it but I'm only 2weeks out.

Hi Dora and welcome to TT ! Congrats your going to become a bandster ! The band does get bad press at times .. Im a firm believer .. Its the user that normally fails the tool .. not the tool failing the user ! Ok sometimes bands does slip , erode or the body even rejects them sometimes ! But the band does work .. If respected and used to its best potential ! If ya want to eat slider foods all day long ... packed with calories , sugar and fats its dont take a genius to work it out that u aint going to loose huh lol .... Ok again I dont preclaim to be the perfect bandster .. yes Ive cheated , yes Ive had bad days ... BUT WHAT I HAVENT DONE IS HAD ANY REGRETS !!!!

Ive been quite successful at loosing over 119 pounds ..... Ive NEVER gained as yet ... fingers crossed and Im 2 years and 4 months post op .

But I calorie count, exercise , try and pick good choices !

Its not easy babe but I think you know that by your post ..

Its all about changing your lifestyle and FOR LIFE !

Ok I still have around 10 pounds to loose to my personal goal and this is proving VERY HARD INDEED .. My dietician thinks it is loose skin but that dont make me feel any better lol .... never happy huh ... lol

I hit my surgeons and dieticians goals a long time ago ... So what Im saying It can be done ! there is a few successful bandsters on here ....

I have been an active member on TT for nearly 3 years now , and although Im in the minority of bandsters here .. most are rny .. All the members have supported me on my journey and have never judged me .. Most take their hats off to us bandsters as they say they couldnt of coped with the lifestyle of the band ....

So I wish u luck and If I can help in anyway .. Just mess me ... xxx

Thank you all for your input, I will cherish how you 3 have come out not just for WLS, but for overall health. I enjoy reading your posts and look foward to many more! Thanks again

Dora

Sassy you are a great inspiration to me! I'm all so lap band. (March 2010). I have my stuggle, but this site is helping me so much! I do snack too much.. I tell them my band isn't tight enough. They only put in a little at a time. The doctor won't even say how much is going in or how much has been put in.

Sorry for rambling. Again keep up the great inspiration!

Meltaway

the band has changed my life. I had it done in octobner 2010 and am about 56 pounds lighter now. i would say it is working fine. i would recommend this surgery top anyone. If you work the band and exercise and do what youa re supposed to it really helps with weight loss. good for you for joining us! good luck with your surgery!!!1

Sassy you are a great inspiration to me! I'm all so lap band. (March 2010). I have my stuggle, but this site is helping me so much! I do snack too much.. I tell them my band isn't tight enough. They only put in a little at a time. The doctor won't even say how much is going in or how much has been put in.

Sorry for rambling. Again keep up the great inspiration!

Meltaway

Ahh thats good to hear ! Getting the band tighter wont stop u snacking hun ,just to make you aware of that .. But you have the right to know what size band you have and whats its filled too etc ..

Im a nosy mare and ask exactly what they are doing etc .. Ask the next time .. Good luck in your journey babe

Sas x