GeminiGirl

Why LB over GBS?

I went to seminar today & there was an overview of both procedures, risks, recovery time & success. I'd always considered myself someone that would only want GBS but this really opened my mind to LB. So I'd like to know why you guys chose LB over GBS, if you had it to do over again would you make the same decision. The surgeon said recovery time as long as you were feeling well was 3-4 days then back to work. Is that accurate & realistic for someone that has a part time desk job with no heavy lifting? Thanks in advance!!!

There are other surgery types as well, most notably coming in 3rd is VSG-vertical sleeve gastrectomy or the "sleeve". There is a great thread in this forum that explains the differences in surgical options and there are many conversations about why to choose one over another and what folks might do if they had it to do over again. I'll get back to you later with the link if you don't find it first. Welcome to TT!

You are welcome. There is a lot of good information available on this forum and the question has been asked many times. Good luck with your research.

Hi there - I haven't had my surgery yet - will be getting banded on Monday, but I personally chose banding over GBS because of the risk. Honestly, the mortality rate for GBS scared me and because I "only" need to lose about 80 pounds, I figured the lapband was the right choice for me. A friend of mine had GBS and has had nothing but great success with it - and no complications. Good luck with your decision!

Amanda

Follow my journery:

Band On The Run

Hi there - I haven't had my surgery yet - will be getting banded on Monday, but I personally chose banding over GBS because of the risk. Honestly, the mortality rate for GBS scared me and because I "only" need to lose about 80 pounds, I figured the lapband was the right choice for me. A friend of mine had GBS and has had nothing but great success with it - and no complications. Good luck with your decision!

Amanda

Follow my journery:

Band On The Run

Best of luck Monday from a fellow NC girl! I'm originally from Kannapolis, NC but the AirForce has made GA home. Thanks for the response & again good luck. I can't wait to hear back on your journey after Monday!

I don't want to advocate one way or another or to play the "my surgery is better than your surgery" game but do want to make sure you do enough research to understand the various options and how they play out.

I had the VSG or Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy. Other than a handful, but far from a majority, of folks mentioning having reflux post op, I am not aware of any complications due to this specific procedure, which cannot be said for the other procedures being considered.

The percent difference in eventual regain is minor compared to the others-better than the band, slightly less than RnY; all involve changing lifestyle patterns and making better choices long term or the possibility of regaining exists. When you do your research, find out from folks of each surgical type what their experience has been and look at studies of each specific surgical type. And know going in to it that no matter which surgical type you choose, be prepared to have to do a lot of hard work!

I wasnt offered gbs as My gp said I wasnt big enough but I beg to differ ... I was at 270 pounds at my highest .

But I had the band as My personal first choice .. Due to It was less evasive surgery , The recovery time was quick , I wasnt getting my guts re-routed , Shallow as it sounds ... I did not want to loose any hair .. Thats my proffession .. hairdresser and My hair is my crown ..... It can be reversed at any point If I was to get sick or If I was in an accident they can wip it out .

I love my band .. I have been quite successful with my tool loosing over 119 pounds and Im 2 years and 4 months post op and Ive NEVER gained .

Im a committed bandster and I try and adhere to the rules the best I can . Im not saying Im perfect But I do MY BEST ...

Good luck in your decision... Its between you and the proffessional and Just make sure you pick the right one that you can be successful with .

Living and working with the band isnt easy especially newly post op , but through time it does get easier .

But food is always in my mind somewhere .....

No wls is easy ..... we still have to work with it ..

All the best

It is all a personal choice and I was very confused until I kept researching. I chose GPB because of the accountability factor. I knew I needed to be accountable for my eating and with the band I felt I could suck shakes or starbucks and ruin my chances to be on the leaner side of 160. So after months and months I chose GBP. It is not for everyone. I am 3 months out and I feel great. I woud do it again in a heart beat. I have had no complications at all. It is a tool and you do have to make good choices, no matter what surgery you choose. I have read and heard great success stories and horror stories for both. Best of luck to you on making your decision and your journey.

Heya:) I chose LB and was my only choice really. I wanted something less invasive, slower weight loss, and no malabsorption since I have vitamin deficiencies pre-op. Some say they wanted bypass because they didn't want "foreign" object in them. Well, to me all those staples are just as foreign as band system.

it's a personal choice for sure :)

My choice in the band is that I only have 100lbs to lose, I'm active, I'm younger and I'm motivated. Not saying that others aren't it's just that at this time in my life I wasn't ready for someone to reroute me, as it has been phrased, or for my stomach to still be inside of me "taking up space" and not being used. I see the band as a crutch, something to help me until I'm totally able to do it on my own.

I have 85 pounds to lose, so I chose LBS. Also, I was a little petrified about the GBS. I felt like this was a good option for me.

I chose the band because I didn't want things changed around and something not reversable. However with that said some people do not like the idea of an item being left in them. You lose weight slower with the band but I figured I didn't get this big overnight and I don't plan on losing over night. Please read everything and make it your personal choice. Do what you feel comfortable with.

I chose the band because it was the procedure I was most comfortable with, also in addition to the band I got a plication which is a procedure where the stomach is folded and sutured to form a sleeve. This is a newer procedure but it is also reversible like the band. The initial studies show that plication can help to prevent band complications like slippage and erosion.

I suggest you read the revision section of this forum while you are researching which wls route to take! The failure rate for bands are very high, do you want to take the risk? I did and had no end of problems with leaks, overfills and port replacement. Finally I had revision to gastric bypass and I just wish I had done it in the first place!

Also, in terms of healing post op, there was no difference. I was up and walking about a few hours after surgery and back at work very quickly.

I wouldn't recommend the lap band to anyone but I know it works for some. Good luck with what ever you decide. :)

I originally had the Lap-Band surgery in July 2007 when I was 20 with a weight around 240 lbs (at 5'2"). I'm stressing this for anyone who assumes that just because they are young or just because they have 100 lbs. or less to lose that the Lap-Band is the best and safest option. I did manage to lose about 60 lbs. over the first year after countless fills. The problem is that I was either not filled enough or too filled- there was never a happy medium for me. So I spent over a year over-filled just to maintain the not-so-great weight loss that I had achieved. This was with following the rules exactly as the surgeon gave them to me. Eventually I started having terrible reflux and had to have a complete unfill, at which point I regained all of my weight loss and then some in just a few months (eating just an average meal). If you get the Lap-Band and ever have a situation that requires a complete unfill (such as pregnancy or any other problems), it's going to be very hard to even maintain your weight loss. And your body is so used to not getting that much food (coupled with no malabsorption), that when it does again it takes a lot less time to gain it all back than you would think.

Fast forward to now- I had revision to RNY on 2/13 and it's such a relief to be able to drink and eat (mushies, at least) without throwing up or getting stuck. I'm also full, which is a great feeling as I never got that feeling when eating with the Lap-Band. I have also lost 36 lbs. since then (my starting weight before this surgery was 253 lbs.) and am ecstatic because I know that in just a few short months I will have lost more than I ever managed to with the Lap-Band.

The Lap-Band can be a good tool for some people, but unfortunately for the vast majority of people I know with it, it's not nearly what they hoped it would be. Most have had revisions to RNY or the Sleeve, and my surgeon is actually suggesting the Sleeve now to any patients considering the Lap-Band because they're afraid of the malabsorption. I personally don't think the Sleeve was a good choice for me because I like sweets a bit too much, and there's no restriction on what you can eat so long as you can get it down.

My Post is written below, I deleted this one....

Edited by shai

Hi, I am new to the forum. I had lap band surgery March 2008. After three years of unsuccessful fills and unfills I was at a total weight loss of about 15 pounds and miserable. one fill would be so tight I couldn't even swallow my spit, others would be too loose. I had several occasions where the fills causes inflammation and a lot of pain. I would follow all of the diet instructions. What I found was that with the band I could not eat healthy foods, protein, chicken, even apples were too tough to swallow. I would chew and chew and after three bites I would be backed up with severe pain and throwing up contantly. lap band literally ruined my life. Every meal was pain. Finally, I started doing a lot of research and found I wasn't the only one. There are a lot of ppl who no matter how hard they try and how much they follow the rules fail with the lap band. Some body types are not compatible with it. there are a lot of clinical studies showing growing failure rates with lap band. Most countries in Europe and India have abandoned lap band procedure all together because of failure rates. In a couple of years I am betting that trend will increase here. I am not at all saying that it is not a great surgery for some ppl, just saying that there are many ppl who fail at it because of fill problems, stress issues can cause sever tightening of the band. Mornings are the worse you have to give your body time to adjust just to be able to drink water. I am urging anyone who want to get lap band to search for clinical research showing fail rates and complications. you can also just go on youtube and see other failed lap band patients give personal accounts. After three years of misery I had a revision to gastric bypass and I had to learn how to eat again. I was shocked when I swallowed food forefirst time after three years and didnt feel pain. with the band I had given up on eating cause of the pain and embarrassment of throwing up after two bites of food. My body was weak and in starvation mode but I was still huge. If Gastric bypass is too extreme I strongly suggest looking into the gastric sleeve surgery. There is a lot of research showing that gastric sleeve will eventually replace lap band surgery. It is purely restrictive with no malabsorption and better results. I have been through hell and back. I know a lot of ppl have great success with the band but it isn't for everyone. All I want is for ppl to do more research in hopes no one will go through what I did.

I originally had the Lap-Band surgery in July 2007 when I was 20 with a weight around 240 lbs (at 5'2"). I'm stressing this for anyone who assumes that just because they are young or just because they have 100 lbs. or less to lose that the Lap-Band is the best and safest option. I did manage to lose about 60 lbs. over the first year after countless fills. The problem is that I was either not filled enough or too filled- there was never a happy medium for me. So I spent over a year over-filled just to maintain the not-so-great weight loss that I had achieved. This was with following the rules exactly as the surgeon gave them to me. Eventually I started having terrible reflux and had to have a complete unfill, at which point I regained all of my weight loss and then some in just a few months (eating just an average meal). If you get the Lap-Band and ever have a situation that requires a complete unfill (such as pregnancy or any other problems), it's going to be very hard to even maintain your weight loss. And your body is so used to not getting that much food (coupled with no malabsorption), that when it does again it takes a lot less time to gain it all back than you would think.

Fast forward to now- I had revision to RNY on 2/13 and it's such a relief to be able to drink and eat (mushies, at least) without throwing up or getting stuck. I'm also full, which is a great feeling as I never got that feeling when eating with the Lap-Band. I have also lost 36 lbs. since then (my starting weight before this surgery was 253 lbs.) and am ecstatic because I know that in just a few short months I will have lost more than I ever managed to with the Lap-Band.

The Lap-Band can be a good tool for some people, but unfortunately for the vast majority of people I know with it, it's not nearly what they hoped it would be. Most have had revisions to RNY or the Sleeve, and my surgeon is actually suggesting the Sleeve now to any patients considering the Lap-Band because they're afraid of the malabsorption. I personally don't think the Sleeve was a good choice for me because I like sweets a bit too much, and there's no restriction on what you can eat so long as you can get it down.

OMG I went through hell for three years with the lap band. it ruined my life and almost my marriage. I could not eat or drink anythng i threw up about 5 times a day and it was embarrasing cause i couldt eat in public or anywhere with getting up multiple times to throw up or stand up and try to get the tiniest bit of food down. I had the switch to bypass, omg arent you amazed that you can eat without severe pain and reflux?? I paid so much for fill and unfills, got severe inflammation due to overfilling, got an ulcer, and depression. I lost no weght but the pain associated with the band was so bad. I dont know when but I know for sure that in the near future there will be a ban on the lap band. My field is medical research and over ten countries have abandoned lap band as a weight loss surgery option due to the bad side effects. I am so so so happy that we both got rid of the bad. For ppl wantng the band I say look into the sleeve procedure. I am happy with the bypass all things have side effects but the lap bands side effects are pretty terrible too. I hope our stories will help others make a better decision, no one deserves to go through what we did!!!!!

I havent had my surgery yet, but Im choosing band of bypass because of the risk factors and I also like that its reversable. I know people who have had both band and bypass. I have about 150 lbs to loose, but its a personal choice. The band is (at least at the hospital I took a pre op seminar at) slightly cheaper than bypass, and the recovery time is quicker. The mortality rate is lower and there is a lower risk of mal nutrition. What also appealed to me was that you can still eat foods like dairy, and not have to worry about intestinal discomfort. Also since Im still of reproductive age (and once I loose the weight I plan to get pregnat after a few years) the band is easliy workable with pregnancy, I also would like to keep my full stomach.

But ya do your research, check statsitcs, and ask lots of questions of your doctor and surgeon

Like most of you, I had a hellish few years with a lapband! My main problem was a micro leak which resulted in port replacement which was pointless! I also had over 20 fills and one overfill that left me vomiting blood for 24hrs. I would BAN the lap band if it were down to me.

I had revision to bypass 6 months ago and the difference is incredable, I am loving this new part two journey I'm on! Life is too short to waste on a temporary solution (if your lucky!) If you have a lap band, sooner or later, you'll be facing more surgery, thats just fact.

If I had my time again, I would have gone straight to bypass, go for gold ;)

I originally went in for the LB, but after they discovered a rather large hernia, and discussing the implications of possible re-herniation after LB surgery and the reflux, etc... i decided to go with the bypass. I liked to drink my calories (ice cream, starbucks, etc...) there would have been no consequence for eating that other than me knowing I "wasnt supposed to"... well, thats why i was as big as I was, because I had never been able to tell myself no... now I dont have much of a choice because it makes me ill... and most of the time, i really dont even want it, or I'm satisfied by a very little of it.

But you should discuss with your doctor, significant other, at home support group and read up on as much as you can! This forum helped me understand so much more than I could have thought to even ask! Best of luck to you which ever you decide! :D

Edited by AmmoWife

I had GBS....I wouldnt change a thing...Recovery may be a little longer but very light work...I'm talking light...takes about as long...I was able to ride and sit and drive as soon as I got home. I had a friend that had the LB 1 week after I did and I've lost about 60 lbs & my friend lost 3 lbs ...she's always exercising and always hungry....with the GBS I'm NEVER hungry...This was Dec 19, 2011....I seriously wouldn't waste my time with the LB unless my ins had the final say. :)