Phatlady

Number of Procedures

Probably a silly question but how many different surgical procedures can one accomplish in a single trip to the OR?

I am guessing this depends upon the patient, their health and the amount of work needing to be done?

I ask because I think a thigh lift, tummy tuck and breast lift would be on my list but I really do not relish the recovery time for each-as an athletic person, I don't want to spend the year lying around moaning and unable to get back to work-I live on a horse farm so it is doubly complicated for me.

But also the fewer number of times you can be put out is probably a good thing.

Then again I have seen those full body lifts-(yikes) and I am guessing they are a sort of all-in one type procedure? I say Yikes because the operation is so extreme but the results I see in the pictures are quite exceptional.

Dear Phatlady, thanks for your question.

There is really no strict limit on the number of surgical procedures one can have at one time. I think we all saw evidence of that during Heidi Montag's highly publicized makeover. But you are absolutely correct that it depends singificantly on each patient's health and other medical conditions, as well as the complexity and invasiveness of the planned procedures.

Multiple complex procedures at one time can be very unsafe and have the potential for serious complications, even with a very healthy patient. On the other hand, a very simple short procedure on a very sick patient can have the same risk of complications. The key is proper patient selection and preparation of a safe operative plan to maximize patient safety and reliable results.

Most board certified plastic surgeons stick to the 6 hour rule, which comes from multiple patient safety studies in the literature. After about six hours of general anesthesia, the risk of complications starts to increase so we tend to limit the amount of surgery to this time. I often separate these full body reconstructions into two or three separate surgical stages. As long as the patient is reasonably healthy, there is not a significant risk of multiple general anesthetics a few months apart. There is an advantage to getting everything done at once, but the more surgery you have at one time, the more difficult the recovery.

In your particular case, a thigh lift, tummy tuck and breast lift all done at the same time would take about 5.5 to 6 hours so it is possible to do these in one sitting, but you should have a thorough discussion with your plastic surgeon about the anticipated recovery time and period of incapacitation or physical restrictions. I would estimate your recovery time to be about 6 weeks after such a procedure, but that also depends on your general medical health and other medical problems, if any.

Good luck with everything.

Sincerely,

THANK-YOU for your very thorough response.

I am about a year away from surgery as I have been advised to wait until you have been at a set weight for at least 6-12 months and I have more weight to drop to achieve my initial goal.

My other concern is going to be how to pay for this reconstruction as I have been told that most insurance companies will not pay for any of it, grrrrr....

Phatlady,

You are very welcome.

I agree with waiting for at least 12 months until your weight has reached a plateau before considering plastic surgery reconstruction. It is also important that you can maintain that weight long-term, to maintain your results from the plastic surgery.

I certainly understand your frustration with the insurance companies. Trust me, physicians are equally frustrated. Every insurance company is different, and every case reviewer is different, so you never know whether or not a procedure will be covered. We just submit all the paperwork and hope with our fingers crossed. I'm sure your plastic surgeon will try to help you as much as possible with the process.

I wouldnt think you would WANT to have all that at once...Im looking at a TT and breast lift and implants at once- with lipo here and there :)

but throw in arms or legs too...uggg.no way I would go back the following year or something

good luck

Dear Phatlady, thanks for your question.

There is really no strict limit on the number of surgical procedures one can have at one time. I think we all saw evidence of that during Heidi Montag's highly publicized makeover. But you are absolutely correct that it depends singificantly on each patient's health and other medical conditions, as well as the complexity and invasiveness of the planned procedures.

Multiple complex procedures at one time can be very unsafe and have the potential for serious complications, even with a very healthy patient. On the other hand, a very simple short procedure on a very sick patient can have the same risk of complications. The key is proper patient selection and preparation of a safe operative plan to maximize patient safety and reliable results.

Most board certified plastic surgeons stick to the 6 hour rule, which comes from multiple patient safety studies in the literature. After about six hours of general anesthesia, the risk of complications starts to increase so we tend to limit the amount of surgery to this time. I often separate these full body reconstructions into two or three separate surgical stages. As long as the patient is reasonably healthy, there is not a significant risk of multiple general anesthetics a few months apart. There is an advantage to getting everything done at once, but the more surgery you have at one time, the more difficult the recovery.

In your particular case, a thigh lift, tummy tuck and breast lift all done at the same time would take about 5.5 to 6 hours so it is possible to do these in one sitting, but you should have a thorough discussion with your plastic surgeon about the anticipated recovery time and period of incapacitation or physical restrictions. I would estimate your recovery time to be about 6 weeks after such a procedure, but that also depends on your general medical health and other medical problems, if any.

Good luck with everything.

Sincerely,

My husband is four months out, and he has already lost more than 105 pounds. He's gone from a 46 pants, to a 34, and has about 25 pounds to go. I know he will eventually need surgery, because his pants still slide down under his belly, making him a saggy, baggy elephant.