greco02

Excess Skin tightening/toning through exercise

I have an ongoing argument with my spouse about how much improvement you can actually make on your excess skin with exercise. I remember Dr. C talking about being able to 'tone' the muscles underneath the skin but you can't make your skin taught. Once the loose skin (257 down to 163 over 9 yrs ago) happens the only fix is plastic surgery. He is of the opinion you can firm up the skin.

Dear greco02,

Thanks for your question.

Actually, you and your spouse are both right.

You can tone and tighten your skin with exercise, but only to a certain extent. Skin is elastic, just like a rubber band. If you apply tension to it, it will stretch (like a pregnant woman's belly skin). If you release the tension, the rubber band (and skin) will contract back to it's original state. But if you stretch it too fast, or too much, it will eventually break. When skin "breaks", you get stretch marks - that means the skin has lost its elasticity.

As long as your skin has good elasticity, you can continue to lose weight and your skin will gradually tighten and tone (much slower than the disappearing fat). But if your skin has lost its elasticity (for example if you have stretch marks), then the skin will not tone no matter how much you exercise. In that case, the only option would be surgery to remove the extra skin.

During your consultation with an experienced plastic surgeon, he/she would be able to tell you which category your skin is in, and then discuss your treatment options. Hope that helps. Sincerely,

I am loving a plastic surgeon on here NOW!!! when did you get here? welcome to TT (not a tummy tuck) lol....too bad your in Cali....

I am loving a plastic surgeon on here NOW!!! when did you get here? welcome to TT (not a tummy tuck) lol....too bad your in Cali....

I COMPLETELY agree!!! This is definitely useful information! Welcome to the forum!

Thanks very much. I'm really enjoying being a part of this forum.

It is really inspiring to read about all of your accomplishments and body transformations.

Edited by Dr. Abhay Gupta