I have an appt with my PCM tomorrow to discuss getting a referral. I'm optimistic but still soooo nervous. Could 2011 really be the year that changes everything???

Congratulations on taking the first step! I remember the day I saw my PCM to discuss weight loss surgery. I was very glad that he was supportive of my decision. I also still remember the day this past June when I decided to stop into a bariatric clinic to see if they accepted my insurance (I hate talking on the phone, so I went in person). I sat in my car for a few minutes before my 4-year-old daughter said to me, "Mom, why aren't we getting out?" I told her I needed a few minutes. She then said to me, "Mom, it's okay, let's go in." She had no idea what I was about to do. I had to take a deep breath before getting out of the car.

I am now 12 weeks postop and do not regret my decision at all. I learned a lot preoperatively by working with my surgeon's nutritionist, logging my daily food intake, and reading through post after post here on T-T.

Best wishes as you continue your journey towards a healthier you! Expect good things!

Welcome and Congrats on your decision!! :)

If you have any questions, there are many, many well informed and very friendly posters here on TT -- don't hesitate to ask :)

Thanks so much! I appreciate all the support. I have found the information on this forum to be an immense help in coming up with the courage to go through with this. I had someone tell me today that in no way did I need or would I qualify for gastric bypass surgery and that I should really find a diet and stick to it. It's comments like this that hurt. My husband told me that anyone that truly knew me would know all the diets that I have tried and would never be so callus to make a comment like that. After having time to recover from it I rememberd seeing all those similar weights by posters and decided to just let it go. I won't allow myself to be defeated before I even walk in my PCM's office.

When you have your first meetings with the surgeon, dietitian, psych, etc., you will get more assurances that the path you are following is the correct one. They want you to succeed, as do us here, and we have all learned the hard way to ignore the brainless comments by outsiders.

Do your research and enjoy the journey you are beginning to a better and happier life.

Well I just got back from my visit with my PCM. I didn't straight out get a referral for a surgeon but I signed up for the seminar at the hospital. My PCM is concerned about me not qualifying & thought it best for me to go to the seminar & see if I am still interested in going through with it, if so she will start the referral process. I know I would have had to go to the seminar at some point any way so why not now? I consider this is a win for me, despite not getting an immediate referral. Luckily there is a seminar tomorrow @ 6pm.

My luck usually doesn't work that way so yay me!