prettyeyez_08062

polycystic ovarian syndrome,& birthcontrol

i was told at 13 i had this

yes its been hell....but i was wonder if anyone else has it on here?

and if so please share the preop dieting and post op

i really would like to know,cause alot of people who doesnt have it seem to not understand the weight problem behind it and with the birth control with it...thank u

I too have PCOS and have struggled with it since I was 14. Pre-op I wish I would have been more diligent in getting some of the weight off and trying to make lifestyle changes, but my Dr only required a 24 hour clear liquid diet. Prior to decided to have WLS I could exercise 2 hours a day and eat pretty much nothing and never lose the weight...so frustrating. Before surgery, getting the weight off was impossible at times. I went on metformin in 2007 and shortly after became pregnant with my daughter. I of course developed gestational diabetes by the time I was 12 weeks pregnant. My sugar never regulated after I had her and was on 2000mg of metformin daily. I have not taken my metformin since the day before my surgery. I do not feel in any way that PCOS has hindered the results of my WLS. I followed my doctor's program to a T and feel like I have been successful! I think the important thing to do and from the research I have done is to cut out all sugar, flour, and white starches from my diet. I eat lots of veggies and lean proteins. I also have not implemented red meat back into my diet b/c our bodies are extra hormone sensitive and red meat is loaded in extra hormones they give the animals to help them grow faster and fatter. I eat hormone free chicken that you can get at Wal-Mart and turkey products...turkey pepperoni, turkey sausage, etc. Plus my local supermarket has a great butcher and if I pick out my chicken breast, he will ground it up for me and I can use that in place of ground beef. I know it seems extreme, but I feel better than I have ever felt in my life!! And it was kind of easy b/c as I went through the post op diet phases there are some things I just did not implement back in my diet. I am not on birth control b/c my body is sooo hormone sensitive that they make me feel kind of crazy and I start having panic attacks...no thank you:D If my cycles get out of whack again, which they are the farther I get out post op, my dr said I would do better by taking the metformin again. While taking the metformin, I was more regular than I ever have been...without the added hormone effect. My husband and I are REALLY careful cause another baby is not in the cards for our immediate future. I think if you stick to your doctor's program and are diligent about making this work, you will do great!! For the first time in my life PCOS is not dictating my success, but I do have to actively work on it on a daily basis! I hope this helps!:D Good luck to you!

Wow this is great Kylieh! I also have PCOS but my doctors have never done anything about it. I've never ever been regular except when I'm on birth control but I'm very sensitive to hormones also because I get really really emotional, one time almost sucidal so my birth control has to be low hormone. My doctors always said it was because of my weight and if I lose all my weight there is a possibility I can become normal. And last month for the first time in forever I got my period on my own with no assistance. This brings my lots of hope because in about a year I want to get pregnant (one of my main reason for getting WLS).

As far as Preop and Postop diet, the PCOS wasn't taken into consideration or talked about. I did what Kylieh did with 24 hour clear liquid diet but that about it. What lean meats do you eat? Only turkey and chicken? Your are losing your weight pretty fast congrats!!

I was diagnosed with PCOS at 18 years old. Struggled with it for years before my family MD diagnosed me. I was only given a 24 hour liquid diet prior to my surgery,but took it upon myself to start about 6 weeks prior with more of an Atkins diet. NO CARBS. I knew my liver was enlarged and this would help shrink it. I also started walking about 3 miles a day before my surgery to get used to walking.

My periods was never normal until I had my surgery, now they are like clock work. I had the Merina IUD put in for birth control and would recommend it to anyone. It is good for 5 years or you can have it removed before that if you are wanting to try for babies. I also couldn't take BC pills.

:D im glad im not the only person on here ....and whew yes no babies yet in my time school school school now ...but thats good you were able to have a child with pcos i lost my twins due to it which lead to an un-engagement...but neways im glad it has no effects with wls cause i was scared that it will cause weight gain i feared that part....i blew up over the course of the yrs n i think god i had a dr who even knew what it was(some dr's in new jerz have no clue they think its"period problems") but thank yall so much for replying =):cool:

This thread is great. I too have PCOS, was diagnosed when I was 26 (37 now) and my doctor put me on Metformin to jump start my cycle. It worked, I know have regular periods. Of course, about 5 years ago I was diagnosed a diabetic type II. I've been concerned that the surgery will not be as effective due to my PCOS but I am hoping that the weight loss will be the same.

This thread is great. I too have PCOS, was diagnosed when I was 26 (37 now) and my doctor put me on Metformin to jump start my cycle. It worked, I know have regular periods. Of course, about 5 years ago I was diagnosed a diabetic type II. I've been concerned that the surgery will not be as effective due to my PCOS but I am hoping that the weight loss will be the same.

yes it is cause i kno alot of woman have it but its not very much spoken of....i had a besti from hs we went all years to find out in college we both had it...both was going thru it rough just never spoke bout it =)

i hope we get more users on here and thank u sunsh1n3 u show that even finding out late it still can be worked through :)

Hi, I'm new to the site and wls. I was banded two weeks ago, but I had been losing weight since March, and the pcos seems to be getting better! The more weight I lost the more regular my cycles were. It is an awfuly disease! I'm greatful for this thread, also. It's nice to hear from other people going through the same thing!:D

I also have PCOS. I have never ever had regular cycles except when I was on BC but I have a family history of blood clots so my doctor doesn't want me on BC pills and my husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for close to 3 years.

I just had surgery in December so I am praying that I will get at least 1 period all on my own! Haha most women hate getting their period but I would do anything to get mine without having to take pills! I have also been taking 2000 mg of Metformin a day for quite a while and it does nothing for me but my doctor says to keep taking it.

I guess I never even though of how that would affect the amount of weight I would lose. My doctor said that losing the weight should take care of the pcos but we shall see!

Hey!

I was diagnosed at 14 with PCOS, and had been put on BC. At 16 I went to a new endocrinologist who put me on Metformin because even on BC I never had a regular period. Every time I took Metformin or various forms of it I got sick so stopped taking it. My Junior year of college I stopped taking BC because I was still not regular and decided the side effects were not worth it, I didn't want to risk blood clots or anything like that. I didn't have a regular boyfriend so it actually worked out better, since college boys think birth control means condoms are unnecessary, dummies.

I'm glad to see people were able to loose weight after surgery with PCOS. I never thought of it as being an issue but I guess it could play a role in weight loss. My problem has always been carbs but since my 2 week liquid diet I have not had ANY carbs and I haven't craved them at all which is beyond amazing!

Good luck to everyone!!!!

I have pcos too. I just found out in 2009. My dr put me on metformin and clonadine or however you spell it because I wanted to have a baby. My periods never got normal and I did not have a baby. I decided I wanted to lose weight since nothing ever worked and had gastric bypass. I am now on birth control and it seems as if my periods are sporadic lol I take half the month and it starts I hope it equals out oneday soon!

i was told at 13 i had this

yes its been hell....but i was wonder if anyone else has it on here?

and if so please share the preop dieting and post op

i really would like to know,cause alot of people who doesnt have it seem to not understand the weight problem behind it and with the birth control with it...thank u

I started seeing a reproductive endo in Jan 2010 & ofcourse they wanted me to loose weight. He put me on Atkins & though I hated it & have since come off & gained back all 40 lbs I lost, it worked...it worked better than anything else I've ever tried. He told me that w/ PCOS programs like WW or JC or even just low calorie wouldn't work due to the way my body handled carbs. I felt absolutely amazing, after the first several days it was like someone turned on an energy switch that I didn't know I had. I worked out harder and longer than ever before. My problem was that you pretty much can't eat out, & after making breakfast, lunch & dinner nonstop for months on end I felt trapped & I quit. If you are just planning on doing this for your pre-op diet I would think it would be a great plan & if/when that time comes for me I will probably go with this if my MD has no other suggestions. There are way too many Atkins books so if you do try it I would get the Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution, it is around $7. Good Luck!

I have had a history of irregular, heavy menstrual cycles my whole life, but I wasn't formally diagnosed with PCOS until 2003. I was on birth control from 1995 through 2000, which helped with regulating my cycles, but I stopped them when we decided to try to conceive. My cycles became irregular once again. I was placed on metformin for about a six-month timespan, but it didn't make a difference, so it was stopped. I began to believe that I would be overweight forever...because no matter what I did diet-wise or exercise-wise, it never helped. In fact, I usually gained more weight.

I stunned myself when I was able to lose weight preoperatively following my nutrionist's guided eating plan. Even now, at 11 weeks postop, I don't seem to be having any ill effects from the PCOS as it pertains to my weight loss. My cycles are still irregular, but I gather that is from the hormones that are being released in my system as the fat cells continue to break down. I have to admit, I never connected the idea that some of the foods I was eating may have been exacerbating my PCOS symptoms (as kylieh51 mentioned in her post). I just bought some of the hormone-free chicken breasts from Walmart yesterday and will continue to consider these types of changes. I am finally understanding the balance of diet and exercise, and I remain hopeful that I will continue to learn healthy habits. I no longer feel like a victim to this frustrating syndrome. And I can't wait for the first time my surgeon does labs on me postop and I can see with my own eyes the positive effects of losing weight/gastric bypass (hopefully higher HDL and lower triglyceride levels!).

I started seeing a reproductive endo in Jan 2010 & ofcourse they wanted me to loose weight. He put me on Atkins & though I hated it & have since come off & gained back all 40 lbs I lost, it worked...it worked better than anything else I've ever tried. He told me that w/ PCOS programs like WW or JC or even just low calorie wouldn't work due to the way my body handled carbs. I felt absolutely amazing, after the first several days it was like someone turned on an energy switch that I didn't know I had. I worked out harder and longer than ever before. My problem was that you pretty much can't eat out, & after making breakfast, lunch & dinner nonstop for months on end I felt trapped & I quit. If you are just planning on doing this for your pre-op diet I would think it would be a great plan & if/when that time comes for me I will probably go with this if my MD has no other suggestions. There are way too many Atkins books so if you do try it I would get the Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution, it is around $7. Good Luck!

thank u so much ima go to b&n this week and get a copy and i really do mean the thank you!! :)

I have had a history of irregular, heavy menstrual cycles my whole life, but I wasn't formally diagnosed with PCOS until 2003. I was on birth control from 1995 through 2000, which helped with regulating my cycles, but I stopped them when we decided to try to conceive. My cycles became irregular once again. I was placed on metformin for about a six-month timespan, but it didn't make a difference, so it was stopped. I began to believe that I would be overweight forever...because no matter what I did diet-wise or exercise-wise, it never helped. In fact, I usually gained more weight.

I stunned myself when I was able to lose weight preoperatively following my nutrionist's guided eating plan. Even now, at 11 weeks postop, I don't seem to be having any ill effects from the PCOS as it pertains to my weight loss. My cycles are still irregular, but I gather that is from the hormones that are being released in my system as the fat cells continue to break down. I have to admit, I never connected the idea that some of the foods I was eating may have been exacerbating my PCOS symptoms (as kylieh51 mentioned in her post). I just bought some of the hormone-free chicken breasts from Walmart yesterday and will continue to consider these types of changes. I am finally understanding the balance of diet and exercise, and I remain hopeful that I will continue to learn healthy habits. I no longer feel like a victim to this frustrating syndrome. And I can't wait for the first time my surgeon does labs on me postop and I can see with my own eyes the positive effects of losing weight/gastric bypass (hopefully higher HDL and lower triglyceride levels!).

im sorry it taken so long to find out...i kno that must have been fustrating.....and yes ima have to get some of that chicken and does your body feel diffrent vs that other chicken sold in stores?

I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2001 after many years of taking BC to try to regulate my cycles. I was put on Metformin and had a huge spike in my liver enzymes and was told to stop taking it. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for almost 6 years now, with no luck. Finally a reproductive endocrinologist recomended wls. It had been in the back of my mind for many years, but I never thought I'd have the guts to do it. I tried losing the weight on my own one more time, but couldn't keep it off. Finally I decided it was time to get surgery.

I was able to lose 22 lbs before surgery with the pre-op diet plus the 2 week pre-op liquid diet and lots of walking. Since surgery the weight has been coming off slowly, but pretty steadily. I also avoid hormones in meat and milk. We buy all of our meat from a humane/organic farm that doesn't use any hormones in their beef, pork, chicken, and turkeys (we also buy eggs from them to avoid hormones). And we buy hormone free milk.

I didn't want to go back on BC pills because of the side effects, but ended up using the Nuvaring. I'm not sure what I think of it yet. My cycles aren't normal and tend to start a week early.

I feel better than I have in a really long time. I hope all of you out there that have PCOS see the success you are hoping for.

I have pcos too. I just found out in 2009. My dr put me on metformin and clonadine or however you spell it because I wanted to have a baby. My periods never got normal and I did not have a baby. I decided I wanted to lose weight since nothing ever worked and had gastric bypass. I am now on birth control and it seems as if my periods are sporadic lol I take half the month and it starts I hope it equals out oneday soon!

Did they ever put you on Provera to jump start your system? I was diagnosed with PCOS after going without a period for about 5 years, they gave Provera monthly for about 4 months then my periods started coming on their own. I've had regular periods for the last 9 years, I was diagnosed in 1999.

nope they never did

Just wanted to throw in some of my history and medical experience to this thread...PCOS is not always the true medical issue but can be a side effect of the root cause of the problem which is insulin resistance. It is and endocrine problem that has to do with insulin becoming less effective in the body. Insulin lowers our blood sugars but a lot of people with insulin resistance will have normal glucose levels. The ovaries are affected by this and begin to produce cysts. Anyone with PCOS should consider having an endocrinologist as there are many labs and levels they can check such as your androgens and cortisol levels along with estrogen. Fat stores estrogen as well. Many people with PCOS go on to develop diabetes.

I was diagnosed with PCOS by my Dr. before my first pregnancy and again before my seconds. Both times I was pregnant after taking Metformin. After the birth of my second son I ended up having a hysterectomy and because I was so critical they left my ovaries which had to be removed in a second surgery a year later due to the worsening of the PCOS. Some of the issues may resolve with WLS due to obesity contributing to the endocrine system but be aware that the weight may be a little resistant to come off and challenge us with the history a bit more. I thought it very telling that my OB/GYN who did both my hyster and oophorectomy(ovary removal) still cautioned me to not forget about my insulin resistance and to lose some of this weight. I now have taken his advice (six years later) and I am feeling much better. Keep in mind too that after WLS many women end up pregnant even when not meaning to! I do like the Mirena implant as a choice for ladies because for the most part it is a great product but it too comes with some serious thinking to be done about possible side effects. I hope all of you that are having issues with the PCOS find some comfort and some great doctors who know about the issues that can cause it!

Just wanted to throw in some of my history and medical experience to this thread...PCOS is not always the true medical issue but can be a side effect of the root cause of the problem which is insulin resistance. It is and endocrine problem that has to do with insulin becoming less effective in the body. Insulin lowers our blood sugars but a lot of people with insulin resistance will have normal glucose levels. The ovaries are affected by this and begin to produce cysts. Anyone with PCOS should consider having an endocrinologist as there are many labs and levels they can check such as your androgens and cortisol levels along with estrogen. Fat stores estrogen as well. Many people with PCOS go on to develop diabetes.

I was diagnosed with PCOS by my Dr. before my first pregnancy and again before my seconds. Both times I was pregnant after taking Metformin. After the birth of my second son I ended up having a hysterectomy and because I was so critical they left my ovaries which had to be removed in a second surgery a year later due to the worsening of the PCOS. Some of the issues may resolve with WLS due to obesity contributing to the endocrine system but be aware that the weight may be a little resistant to come off and challenge us with the history a bit more. I thought it very telling that my OB/GYN who did both my hyster and oophorectomy(ovary removal) still cautioned me to not forget about my insulin resistance and to lose some of this weight. I now have taken his advice (six years later) and I am feeling much better. Keep in mind too that after WLS many women end up pregnant even when not meaning to! I do like the Mirena implant as a choice for ladies because for the most part it is a great product but it too comes with some serious thinking to be done about possible side effects. I hope all of you that are having issues with the PCOS find some comfort and some great doctors who know about the issues that can cause it!

:eek:wow thank u so much :) see thats what i like to see is the experience and the facts! thank u

okay so i have tried many places to look on sites and wat not.... and am hoping this is the last place to look. my doctors are even trying to figure it out but if we have a malabsorption issue does that mean birth control pills arent completely effective to get the hormones and if they are would low hormone ones be okay?? fyi i have PCOS and was diagnosed with it in 2006. i am on metformin as well for the PCOS. not sure what other info to give....

Wow this is great Kylieh! I also have PCOS but my doctors have never done anything about it. I've never ever been regular except when I'm on birth control but I'm very sensitive to hormones also because I get really really emotional, one time almost sucidal so my birth control has to be low hormone. My doctors always said it was because of my weight and if I lose all my weight there is a possibility I can become normal. And last month for the first time in forever I got my period on my own with no assistance. This brings my lots of hope because in about a year I want to get pregnant (one of my main reason for getting WLS).

As far as Preop and Postop diet, the PCOS wasn't taken into consideration or talked about. I did what Kylieh did with 24 hour clear liquid diet but that about it. What lean meats do you eat? Only turkey and chicken? Your are losing your weight pretty fast congrats!!

Nice to see a neighbor on from FH. Okay. here is my question to all - Besides losing weight, how has weigh loss surgery helped with PCOS. Is it just that your periods became more regular, or was there any change or reduction in facial hair? From what I have read on PCOS is that it makes it difficult to lose weight, but that is exactly what they recommend, as well as birth control pills and laser hair removal. Are these traditional suggestions doing anything except treating PCOS symptoms but not the cause?

for me it hasnt slowed my weight loss down but ima be honest i bled all feb...and april........ and im on the nuva ring......with pcos as far as hair it doesnt grow on my chin n stuff as fast as b4 but it does n when it does lil strands still nothing really noticible like b4 i hope this helps

Nice to see a neighbor on from FH. Okay. here is my question to all - Besides losing weight, how has weigh loss surgery helped with PCOS. Is it just that your periods became more regular, or was there any change or reduction in facial hair? From what I have read on PCOS is that it makes it difficult to lose weight, but that is exactly what they recommend, as well as birth control pills and laser hair removal. Are these traditional suggestions doing anything except treating PCOS symptoms but not the cause?