vegetables and fruits you can and can't eat

pompomboom

Hi. I have had no issues with any fruits or veges, but I have not had my first fill. that may make a difference. sassy is a good long timer to ask about such things. I actually just ate an aawesome salad, with tomatoes, cheese, mixed greens, onions, celery, cucumbers, nd vinigarette. just ate tiny bies and chewed alot. No issues at all.

• 3 weeks later...

I had lap band on 9/8/10 with 2 fills so far and havent had any problems with any veggies and fruit except for grapes. (just doesnt sit well in my tummy)

still no fill here, but last night I ate an apple, and I think the skin was a bit to much for me. Just thought I would share.

• 1 month later...

It's not that you can't have fruits and veggies, it's that once you are at restriction, you can't tolerate certain fibrous fruits and veggies. Stringy asparagus, baked potatoes, apples, pears, & oranges are just some of the things that you'll have to watch out for. As you get more and more fills, your band makes the opening between your esophagus and your stomach smaller and smaller. This makes it harder for foods to pass through giving you that full feeling sooner. Some foods will never be broken down enough to pass through no matter how much you chew. Others (starches) will coagulate at this opening and not pass through either. It's all an matter of trial and punishment (lol) as to what you will and won't be able to tolerate. Best of luck and continue making good food choices.

I am at 4.8 ccs with my band and i find that lettuce is a bit hard to get down now. i can eat it but very tiny pieces of it and not much. the more you get filled the harder it is to eat everything actually. chicken no longer goes down and alot of other things too. i can eat grapes and apples and every fruit so far but I eat tiny bites and I am full fast. hoe it helps

• 1 month later...

I can't handle fresh pineapple, but the pineapple in juice seems to be ok. Raw celery is another thing that is tough for me to eat. I was able to eat an apple and a pear a couple days ago and a half a banana at a time last week. So far most berries seem to be ok.

• 7 months later...

It's not that you can't have fruits and veggies, it's that once you are at restriction, you can't tolerate certain fibrous fruits and veggies. Stringy asparagus, baked potatoes, apples, pears, & oranges are just some of the things that you'll have to watch out for. As you get more and more fills, your band makes the opening between your esophagus and your stomach smaller and smaller. This makes it harder for foods to pass through giving you that full feeling sooner. Some foods will never be broken down enough to pass through no matter how much you chew. Others (starches) will coagulate at this opening and not pass through either. It's all an matter of trial and punishment (lol) as to what you will and won't be able to tolerate. Best of luck and continue making good food choices.

This is soo true. One year after my op and with the band filled at capacity, for the first 2 months after my last fill I lost 12 kg's as I battled to even get the shakes down, made sure I got the water though, then it went easier from then on but I am still on mushy foods and shakes. I try to eat veggies but I have to be careful.

It is a trial and punishment indeed.

I must add. For the first few months after the op, my fills were not enough to make me feel it. It was only after 9 months of battling and telling the dr that this thing does not work that he filled it once more and boy oh boy......

I used to get really worried and stressed at around 8 at night realising that I have not had enough to eat and drink.... big mistake.

We went on a tropical holiday for a month... all I had was soup and shakes... but... I did not gain a single kilo... now, back at work, chockies and and and...gained 2kg..

I got myself some kiddie multi vit's and make sure I take them daily. I cannot drink any tablets or capsules, so I try and get all the vits & suppl's as chewable ones.

I miss having veggies and salads.... but, maybe one day.

• 1 year later...

I have trouble with things with skins such as tomatoes, grapes, peaches, oranges, apples, if i can peel the skin off i will or just advoid it .