SueLaine

~*February 2011 Staplers*~

Ok so I couldn't find where anyone had started a thread for the February 2011 staplers so here we go!

Still about 7 weeks away BUT coming oh so fast I'm sure! I got my surgery date today and its gonna be Feb 3. Cant wait, I'm literally bouncing off the walls!!

Hi Sue. Thanks for starting this one. I've had my date for almost two weeks now and was waiting for someone to start this. I'm February 21. I could have done it 1/3/11 but I didn't feel that was enough time to prepare.

Hope there are others out there!

I'm sure we are just the first 2 of many!! I dont know about you but i'm feeling a little nervous but mostly excited!! What kind of preop diet is your surgeon wanting you to do and for how long?

They were willing to schedule me before the first of the year but i have to have at least a months notice to get the time off from work.

You'll love this. I don't have to do a pre-op diet!! My surgeon doesn't believe the "shrinking of the liver" is necessary unless someone is extremely morbidly obese. So far I think the only thing I have to do is a colon cleanse.

I went to my nutritionist and was given a list of "DO NOT's" and she practically scared me to death. But after being on this sight and learning a lot from the "oldies" (not old in age, but old in knowledge) I'm feeling less scared but none-the-less anxious.

Got a colonoscopy to go through two days before Xmas and possibly a test for swallowing, then that's it. I am trying to watch everything I eat because I am a diabetic so I kinda have to be good.

How about your pre-surg diet?

I have a feeling I will be having Surgery in February too. I cannot do any of my required tests until January 1st, when I get my new insurance. So with all of those tests and then getting it sent to the insurance, I doubt I will get done in time to have a January Surgery like my Coordinator thinks. But I am very excited to be having surgery with you ladies! Congrats to us for making it this far. Not too much longer and we will be starting our new life!

I'm still waiting for approval. Actually, I'm not even sure it was sent in yet. I was approved by the Psych and Nut and have letters from two of my doctors. I think that's all that is required for insurance approval. So I'll call the surgeon's office tomorrow to find out where it stands.

Welcome John. Read up on EVERYTHING here. The more you learn, the more prepared you'll be.

They dont require a colon clense just want me to decrease my carbs 2 weeks before surgery. I went today to pay my surgeons fee and asked if i should wait till i get insurance approval and after she looked at my chart she was like "oh you are gonna be approved- you have bcbs of nc..." then she told me that they are the best insurance company that they work with as far as approvals for surgery. YAY!! still holding my breath till i have it in writing tho!! So now that that is paid (as of this morning) i'm just playing the waiting game!! I'm super super super excited!!

Glad to have a great support group to turn to. How long is everyone taking off work? I am having surgery on Monday, Feb 7, I was thinking I could go back that next Monday, I am a paralegal and sit at a desk, I can get up and walk around plus since I am at work it will be easier for me to stick to the diet. Any thoughts or suggestions??:o

I'm no expert by any means but you are having MAJOR abdominal surgery even it it is being done laparoscopically. I seriously doubt your surgeon will allow you to go back to work before he sees you post-op which is usually a week later. And I think you'll still be on liquids. The third week is when "real" food starts. And you'll need to see how you tolerate that. I think the minimum time out of work is two weeks. Please don't rush anything. IMHO.

I was hoping for a faster recovery...I had 2 c-sections I envision it being like that, I could be waaaayyyyyy off. Well I am thinking I should tell work now. I don't have the time to take but does anyone know if I can use short term disability??

Chris, I'd speak to your HR department,if there is one and tell them you are having surgery (you don't have to tell them what kind). I'm no expert but I see no reason why you couldn't use short term disability. As I said before, please don't rush things - C-sections or no C-sections!!

My short term disability doesnt kick in until after I've been out for 2 weeks. I'm only planning to take 2 weeks off work anyway. I agree with the thought of how much worse can it be than having a c-section (surgery wise at least!!) I guess we will both see on that account. My surgeon said as long as I dont have a job that is strenuous and I wont have to lift more than 10 lbs that I should be fine going back to work in 2 weeks. I've told the people I work with (I work nights in a small hospital, roughly 15 ppl there total on the midnight shift) and they have all been very willing to help me if I do need anything lifted etc. I dont foresee any problems on that front. Also, I work alone in my department so if I'm running back and forth to go puke at least noone else will see/hear me!!

My short term disability doesnt kick in until after I've been out for 2 weeks. I'm only planning to take 2 weeks off work anyway. I agree with the thought of how much worse can it be than having a c-section (surgery wise at least!!) I guess we will both see on that account. My surgeon said as long as I dont have a job that is strenuous and I wont have to lift more than 10 lbs that I should be fine going back to work in 2 weeks. I've told the people I work with (I work nights in a small hospital, roughly 15 ppl there total on the midnight shift) and they have all been very willing to help me if I do need anything lifted etc. I dont foresee any problems on that front. Also, I work alone in my department so if I'm running back and forth to go puke at least noone else will see/hear me!!

Sue - you really need to make provision for taking longer off work - just in case. I'd have struggled at 2 weeks to be honest and I've had 2 C-sections as too.

That aside - what makes you think you'll be going to run back and forth to puke? Not everyone gets physically sick - I'm over 3 years out and I've never barfed.

I can take extra time off if needed but all I'm planning on is the 2 weeks. As far as the puking its a just in case thing, from alot of the stories I've heard!!

Sue - don't believe everything you hear.

Most of the negativities we hear about WLS are born out of ignorance and urban legends.

If you want the facts, start a new thread (or poll) and ask about post-op throwing up.

Cinwa, I knew there had to be a reason I always agree with you - we have the same birthday!!

Sue, I obviously haven't had surgery yet so I'm not totally sure if I'm going to barf. But I do know this: "dumping" is a serious annoyance. Please read up on it. This site has so much to offer and I have learned so much!! I'd be more concerned with the diarhhea part than the vomiting - and it's really not vomiting but releasing the "chunk" that wouldn't go down.

I've been reading practically every word posted up here for the last 7 months!! Its borderline on obsession! As far as releasing the "chunk" if it comes back out of my mouth, i consider it puking!! lol I've read all about dumping as well. Not to mention I have 3 people in my immediate family that have already had RNY's done.

Just thought I'd check in and see how everyone else is doing??? Feeling nervous/excited?? I am sooo anxious, I love Christmas and to be honest I cant wait for it to be over this year! February just cannot get here soon enough!

So question for yall: Is your dr requiring you to lose any weight before surgery?

I think I will just take 2 weeks my job can get over it!! I always feel guilty calling in sick!! Lol!! I think I am superwoman all the time but I do need to stop and take care of myself...I am always last which is why I am here!!

This time next year... I am going to miss Christmas cookies and holiday cocktails!! I find myself suffering from the "last supper syndrome" I have been eating alot of carbs...my dr said don't worry about losing any weight but one month prior I need to lay off carbs and up my protein. I do plan on joining the gym too this week. What has your dr suggested???

Christen

Hi Everyone! I'm a February gal too. I'll meet with the nut for the last time 1/11/11. Everyone else has given me the go ahead. The "Go To Gal" at the office said give it a month to get approved so we're tentatively planning for 2/16/11. My surgeon only does surgeries on Wed. and working at a school I have an in-service day the following Friday and we're off Monday so we're all hopeful it will work out for that weekend. I talked with my dr. about going back to work and he told me as soon as I felt up to it give him a call and he'd fax the paperwork. I also plan to take only a week off and he felt that would be fine if I is still felt that way after surgery :o) I'm very very excited! My dr. requires the 2 week liquid diet and that is my biggest fear at this point. Good luck everyone! It'll be here before we know it (I HOPE!)

So Dr. Muscles (as i affectionately refer to him!!) suggests me reducing my carbs and then 2 weeks before surgery super low carbs- only a max of 40 a day and all of those from veggies. Absolutely no fruit (full of sugar! and sugar=carbs), pasta, bread, rice, potatoes, corn, peas, beans... and thats all I can think of right off the top of my head. Anyway none of those things the 2 weeks before surgery. I'm gonna go super low carbs on my birthday (jan 6th) and then try to do just the liquid protein diet the week (or maybe 2) before surgery. I really want my liver to not be fatty!! So thats the plan as of now! Umm thats about it as far as his recommendations for now. I go to the office 1/18/11 to get my paperwork to take to the hospital (that day) for registration and for my preop bloodwork... So now its just kind of a waiting game for me...

Also, you shouldnt feel bad about taking time off. I'm just like you, as a matter of fact I have never called into work, even sick!! I feel just terrible when I even think of calling in, like I'm letting them down (what a hoot!). I've decided tho that the next 6 months or so are gonna be all about ME. This has been a new thought since I've spent my entire life worried about other people. I may need help adjusting to this mindset but we shall see!! ;)

This time next year... I am going to miss Christmas cookies and holiday cocktails!! I find myself suffering from the "last supper syndrome" I have been eating alot of carbs...my dr said don't worry about losing any weight but one month prior I need to lay off carbs and up my protein. I do plan on joining the gym too this week. What has your dr suggested???

Christen

Chrissy, I've had the same fear but I'm noticing that I'm quite different with all the food and drinks this year. One evening I'm at a party and I don't even see the food and then the next party, I can't get enough!! BUT, I've been told by my "Go to Gal" in the surgeon's office that this time next year, when my pouch has healed and I've followed ALL of the directions to a "T" that I will be able to enduldge in a cookie. The trick to this "tool" is to use it properly for the "honeymoon stage" for at least 8-12 months because we'll never lose weight this fast ever again!!! Eventually we will be able to eat anything we want but we will still need to have protein first!! Then if there's room, a tiny cookie or whatever can be had.

As far as LSS - BE CAREFUL. Is it really that important? As I said above, we WILL be able to have "whatever" but only in tiny, SATISFYING amounts.

Learn, learn, learn!! This site is PHENOMONAL!!!

I think I'm probably going to end up having surgery in February too. My surgeon's office just got full approval from my insurance company, so I'm just waiting on the surgery scheduler to contact me - which won't be until she verifies that they have all of the medical info they need. My insurance coordinator said that it looked like I had everything they needed except for a vitamin B12 lab, so I went and had that done last Thursday. Hopefully they will be calling soon!

February would be perfect for me, since we are moving in January and January is crazy busy here at work. February is also my birthday month and I figure - what better birthday present :)

I'm planning to take about two weeks off from work, then to work from home in my bed for another week or two. (I'm a technical writer - I write software user manuals and things like that.) I can't afford to take any more time than that. Things move too quickly at work. Honestly though, I'm more worried about keeping up with things around the house than at work. My husband tries, but he doesn't seem to see clutter, and it drives me nuts!

I'm another one hoping that it's similar to c-section recovery - I've had four, and always healed up incredibly easily - by the fourth day after surgery I was usually bouncing around the house with nothing more than tylenol. I know it's different though -different muscles, different procedure, and total exhaustion from both the surgery and the decreased amount of "fuel" our bodies are adjusting to.

I still can't quite believe it's real - that I've ACTUALLY been approved and that my insurance covers it and that it's going to happen. It feels like something I made up. ;) I was telling my sisters about it and it still didn't seem real. Does that make sense?

2/2/11

Which essentially if you add 1 + 1, is 2/2/2

:)

My dr. also doesn't require liquid diet, but since I learned that the smaller the liver the better I have been replacing some meals with protein drinks. Just started this, so no weight loss yet, but hopefully.

At this point I am planning 1 week off from work (plus a weekend.) I don't really do any heavy lifting and if I decide it is too much, my work is pretty cool with making concessions.

Edited by Newcomforts

Newcomforts - I love playing with numbers. Mine is 02/21/2011.

SueM, don't be in such a hurry to go back to work. It's not so much the surgery, although it will be uncomfortable. But you have to worry about how your new "pod" will be willing to cooperate with you and what you feed it.