Restaurants & the best choices

Tigergal71

Hi everyone!

I love to eat out, and I know that there will be much less of that once I'm back on regular food....but I would like to put together a list of restaurants with the best bariatric friendly menu items for use when I want to dine out with girlfriends, or my husband, or just want to get some take out and go home.

Is there a thread where this has already been done?? If not, could you post your options that you know of, so we all can compile a list?? Thanks in advance :)

Hubby and I went to O Charleys last night and the Broccoli Cheese soup was good and in puree form. I was able to tolerate and I am just 9 days post op. The waiter looked at me funny when I only ate 3 or 4 bites though:)

I am having odd "lower GI" issues this am. Maybe because this is the first real food???

Hubby and I went to O Charleys last night and the Broccoli Cheese soup was good and in puree form. I was able to tolerate and I am just 9 days post op. The waiter looked at me funny when I only ate 3 or 4 bites though:)

I am having odd "lower GI" issues this am. Maybe because this is the first real food???

I often steer clear of any soup with cheese in it.. I was curious as to what is in this soup, and I found this on the O Charleys website

"Broccolli and 3 cheese soup bowl, 340 calories, 27g fat, 1700mg sodium, 11gProtein"

Soups can be really hit or miss- that'd be a miss in my books!

I think vertical sleeve is much less 'invasive' thn RNY though isnt it? From all the stories Ive heard, my first 'real food' wont be in a restaurant!! lol

i love broccoli cheese soup tho....but i dont think that would be a best choice for a RNY patient tho. correct me if im wrong....VSG just modifies your portions correct? your stomach is still intact and functions the same, right?

Thanks for your input tho!!!

Not much of a stomach left with the Vertical Sleeve. The pouch is cut away just leaving a tube (sleeve) left. It used to be just the first stage of a 2-stage re-plumbing session but apparently good success just with that portion done.

To be honest... other than chinese.. any restaurant works for me. That said, I'm almost three years out. And many people find fish w/o sauces work well for them at chinese places..

Different stages have different requirements so it's really hard to say go here, not there..eat this/not that.

That said, I can't imagine eating any restaurant foods early, early out... you just don't know what food is going to have your hurking up your insides... it is very, very risky eating out the first few weeks..(many doctors have you on liquids the first few!)...

Pick a restaurant and a stage... and many of us here can give advice. One of the go-to mainstays for "fast food" regardless of stage is Wendy's chili.

A common fav around here is shrimp cocktail appetizer as a meal.

I like steak/meatloaf as a nice meal out.. I eat some of the steak, the veggies and pack the rest to go home. I ALWAYS bring home at least half of my meal, sometimes more. Be prepared to have left overs.

Early out.. leftovers didn't sit well with me but hubby had them for lunches. Now, leftovers are fine.

If you have a rest. you're curious about- maybe mention it and people can say what they would eat there? Include what stage of the meal plan you are. And I know you posted this in the Gastric Bypass, but since everyone seems to share threads- include which surgery you had.. that can make a difference.

Edited by mistymee

I am about 2.5 weeks out. I went to lunch today with my family, we chose a local mexican place. My wife (who is the best), got shrimp and chicken fajitas, and she shared some of the meat with me. While the fam noshed on chips I had a few very small bites of beans.

I think I could make do at nearly any restaurant, I just need to remember to eat ever so slowly.;)

To be honest... other than chinese.. any restaurant works for me. That said, I'm almost three years out. And many people find fish w/o sauces work well for them at chinese places..

Different stages have different requirements so it's really hard to say go here, not there..eat this/not that.

That said, I can't imagine eating any restaurant foods early, early out... you just don't know what food is going to have your hurking up your insides... it is very, very risky eating out the first few weeks..(many doctors have you on liquids the first few!)...

Pick a restaurant and a stage... and many of us here can give advice. One of the go-to mainstays for "fast food" regardless of stage is Wendy's chili.

A common fav around here is shrimp cocktail appetizer as a meal.

I like steak/meatloaf as a nice meal out.. I eat some of the steak, the veggies and pack the rest to go home. I ALWAYS bring home at least half of my meal, sometimes more. Be prepared to have left overs.

Early out.. leftovers didn't sit well with me but hubby had them for lunches. Now, leftovers are fine.

If you have a rest. you're curious about- maybe mention it and people can say what they would eat there? Include what stage of the meal plan you are. And I know you posted this in the Gastric Bypass, but since everyone seems to share threads- include which surgery you had.. that can make a difference.

Thanks for the info Kel. I'm not going to be visiting any restaurants anytime soon...just thinking about when I do.....I want to be armed with good info to ease into it. I've already considered Wendy's chili and shrimp cocktail (although besides Red Lobster, I can't think of ANYONE who has shrimp cocktail anymore LOL) I guess steak and chicken are always safe bets if they have nothing else. I won't be doing restaurant food, probably for at least a couple months. I know for the first 3 months, it will be pretty structured, then I'll be venturing out a bit.

I don't eat seafood of any kind.. but I know that is a favorite with many... it seems to work well for people.. the trick is to stay away from saucy foods, or foods cooked in butter/fats. Stay far from pasta.. it can swell in the pouch and can cause pain.

I will often ask for them to put any sauces that the food typically comes with on the side. It works well for two reasons.. I can control how much/if any I eat.. plus.. most of the food seems to reheat better if it's not floating in the sauce. (Exception is tomato sauces... like chicken parm. I won't order it if the chicken is breaded, and I tell them to hold the pasta...)

Buffets are also a bit contentious around here.. people will say they won't go, they don't get their money's worth.

My feeling is.. I will go if that is what others wants... I feel the value is in the -variety- available and not the -quantity- I can/can't eat. And the company I'm in :)

Oh- I love restaurants that serve breakfast all day... eggs always work for me :)

Another WLSer turned me on to Chipotle. I have never been there before until 3 days ago. I've had it for the past three days (not today though). It lasts me all day. I have about half of the bowl for lunch and the rest for dinner. If I can't finish it, then I give it to my dad. I just have the chicken with extra, peppers/onions, corn chili salsa, and cheese. It tends to be a bit cold IMO. So I tend to wait until I get home to eat it so it can be piping hot.

Nothing beats the occasional rare rare steak. Man, I love rare steak. The great thing is no matter what size it comes in I will always have a leftover bag going home.

It was a while before I dined out. When I did, I always did the doggie bag thingy. I no longer do buffets, unless I have family with me, so it is through them that I get my money's worth. LOL!

Here are my favorite:

Red Lobster

Olive Garden

Both have nice salads and doggie bags.

Maxxy, what do you find to eat at Olive Garden? That was one of my favorite restaurants pre-op, but I can't even begin to think of what's on the menu now that I could have.

Maxxy, what do you find to eat at Olive Garden? That was one of my favorite restaurants pre-op, but I can't even begin to think of what's on the menu now that I could have.

My son always accompany me, who gets my money worth. I will either get their salad or soup. Spaghetti with meat sauce is always doggie bag. I will sip a glass of Pinot Noir.

Went out to Mexican with family. I ate refried beans with sour cream and a bit of guacamole and a couple of shrimp off my hubbie's fajita plate. It was yummy!

My thoughts on buffets: they are actually my favorite restaurants now, because when you go out, you don't necessarily know what is going to sit well on the pouch, and with all you can eat, if something doesn't work, you can toss it and try something else. Granted, you don't get to take food home, but for right now, I like the ability to get a variety of tastes, and with coupons, it's cheaper than traditional order-off-the-menu restaurants.

I've fallen in love with the New Orleans Seafood at Ruby Tuesday's.....I eat a few bites of the tilapia and 2 shrimp and Hubby eats the rest, LOL! YUM!

Also, Wendy's chili anytime, and shrimp cocktail appetizers as my entree.......Hubby and I also split ham/cheese omelets at Cracker Barrel......me 4 bites, him the rest!

I DID wait for 6 weeks before I went out though........other TT'ers had suggested ordering "Take Out" to try the "new stuff" at home to see how it sat in my pouch......that's GREAT advice!

Good Luck!

Nancy:)

I am almost three weeks out, and ate for a $1 at the mall with my daughter. Pinto beans and cheese from Taco bell.......while she ate Arby's in front of me, I slowly ate my beans, cheese, and a little sauce.....didn't finish all of it......If I ever go on a date, I will be very cheap to feed!

Thanks all for the great ideas :)

I will definitely take the advice of 'take out' to try at home first!!! Don't want any sort of 'episodes' when out in public LOL

I can't wait to have real food again. I've had a gnawing in the pit of my stomach (?) for grilled chicken, veggies, and 'good' food!!! LOL

I have a long row to hoe!!!!!

LOL!!!! But I'll be whistlin' the whole way, cause I know I'm on my way to HEALTHYVILLE!!!!! (With a final stop at ONEDERLAND!!!!)

Before my surgery my husband and I loved to go out to eat together.

I have to say these days (3.5 months out) it just really isn't as fun for me. And honestly food is no longer as big a part of my life as it used to be, so I really don't think about restaurants all that much.

Of course its hard to avoid it totally...but it's really just no longer a big part of my life.

This was the list my doc provide:

Arby's

Kid's Market Fresh Mini Sandwiches

Junior Roast Beef

Ham and Swiss Melt

Kid's Popcorn Chicken

Burger King

Whopper Jr (no mayo)

Flame-broiled hamburger

Ham omelet sandwich

Tendergrill chicken garden salad w/Ken's fat free ranch dressing

Chick-fil-A

Chick-fil-A chargrilled chicken sandwich

Chick-fil-A chargrilled chicken salad

Chicken Salad

Chicken Noodle Soup

Light Italian dressing or reduced fat raspberry vinaigrette

Dairy Queen

DQ original burger

Grilled chicken salad(low fat or fat free dressing)

Jack-in-the-Box

Chicken fajita pita

Hambuger

Grilled chicken strips

Kids chicken breast strips

Regular beef taco

Asian grilled chicken salad

Southwest grilled chicken salad

Breakfast Jack

KFC

Chicken (w/o skin)

Roasted ceasar salad

Roasted BLT

Hidden Valley fat free ranch or light Italian dressing

KFC Grilled Chicken

Oven roasted Twister w/o sause

Chicken breast w/o skin

Long John Silver

Baked Cod

Grilled chicken plank or tilapia

Alaskan flounder

Grilled shrimp

Hope this helps

There's alot more.

The only thing I've tried is the tilapia with veggies from Long John Silvers

I will be 2 mos. post op the 31st of this mon. I am able to eat bbq ribs from Applebees and O'charlies. I only order a 1/2 rack and eat about 1/2 of that rack hubby finished the rest up. I can eat pollo loco (grilled chicken) with refried beans no rice at mexican rest. it is thin enought but any another other rest can't eat chicken breast to thick. I have ate roast beef w/o bread added cheese from Arbys. I am slowly finding out what I am able to have when i dine out. I am trying to stay away from bread, rice and pasta along with soda, sweets and ect. :P

Thanks all for the great ideas :)

I will definitely take the advice of 'take out' to try at home first!!! Don't want any sort of 'episodes' when out in public LOL

I can't wait to have real food again. I've had a gnawing in the pit of my stomach (?) for grilled chicken, veggies, and 'good' food!!! LOL

I have a long row to hoe!!!!!

LOL!!!! But I'll be whistlin' the whole way, cause I know I'm on my way to HEALTHYVILLE!!!!! (With a final stop at ONEDERLAND!!!!)

Hi..how r u...

I also had my surgery on the 21st to and all i find myself doing is watching the Food Network....lol....I didnt have to do a pre-op diet and i think thats why i have had such a tuff time adjusting...how r things your way???

I will be 2 mos. post op the 31st of this mon. I am able to eat bbq ribs from Applebees and O'charlies. I only order a 1/2 rack and eat about 1/2 of that rack hubby finished the rest up. I can eat pollo loco (grilled chicken) with refried beans no rice at mexican rest. it is thin enought but any another other rest can't eat chicken breast to thick. I have ate roast beef w/o bread added cheese from Arbys. I am slowly finding out what I am able to have when i dine out. I am trying to stay away from bread, rice and pasta along with soda, sweets and ect. :P

I'm jealous.. I can't eat BBQ anything...I don't dump but I sure don't feel good when I eat that! I LOVE BBQ :/