Bread, Carbs and Rice?

sandie474

Two questions for EVERYBODY!!!!! Well maybe 3. I was told by my Dr during our consult that you can't have any carbonation AT ALL, ever. Why is this? I would think it's liquid so it would pass through your pouch with no problem. But that one didn't worry me near as much as the bread. Bread is in EVERYTHING, enchiladas, tortillas, sandwich bread, etc. Can you absolutely never have bread again? That's a lot of stuff. What are your experiences and are these 2 really OFF LIMITS forever once you've got banded?

My 3rd is rice - I didn't realize you couldn't eat rice but someone on one of these forums said rice is a big no no. Does that also mean pasta is a big no no? Then what on earth will I eat? I'm at a total loss.

And as far as protein - I like chicken, any red meat, pork. But I hear these things are sometimes hard to get down and I hate seafood so any kind of fish is just out fo the question.

I'm not allowed any complex carbs.....rice, bread, pasta (and I'm Italian) until I'm 6 mos PO...and then no refined ....no white rice, etc.

Some people say it's gets stuck and is painful....dont know I havent had any since surgery.....I do miss it, but lifes fine w/o it.....and if that's what it takes to lose this weight and keep it off...so be it.

There's a lot of controvesy about carbonation, so I wont go into that but it's NEVER allowed on my food plan.....and I was a big diet pepsi fan, but Crystal lite has filled in nicely.

I'm not allowed any complex carbs.....rice, bread, pasta (and I'm Italian) until I'm 6 mos PO...and then no refined ....no white rice, etc.

Some people say it's gets stuck and is painful....dont know I havent had any since surgery.....I do miss it, but lifes fine w/o it.....and if that's what it takes to lose this weight and keep it off...so be it.

There's a lot of controvesy about carbonation, so I wont go into that but it's NEVER allowed on my food plan.....and I was a big diet pepsi fan, but Crystal lite has filled in nicely.

The worries I have are that I don't eat seafood and I'm not a big veggie eater so I'm terrified that I'll have nothing to eat! I know those aren't the only 2 things in the world but I just can't think of what I would eat. Especially pasta, we live on pasta right now. Which I Know is bad.

I may be wrong, but this is just from my own personal experience: I've noticed that I can eat some bread, mostly wholegrain or brown bread or any bread thats toasted, but not too much as you might dump it...

As for rice and pasta, I eat rice sometimes as well as pasta, but again in moderation. Some people prefer to exclude carbs totally because you lose weight faster, but I believe that everything is fine in moderation.

After surgery its trail and error, some people struggle with certain foods and others don't. One thing i struggle with is potatoes, as it feels like it gets stuck as well as chicken breasts. Ive noticed though that if you eat foods like that, that I always eat it with a sauce or fat free cream cheese etc then it goes down easy.

I really don't feel that the opp has robbed me from anything :D you'll notice that your food preferences will also change. A salad with chicken sounds much better to me than a hamburger at this stage! Fatty foods will make you feel terrible.

As for carbonated drinks: it could stretch out your pouch, the stuck "winds" will make you feel terrible. It's just not worth it!

Hope this helped!! ;)

I may be wrong, but this is just from my own personal experience: I've noticed that I can eat some bread, mostly wholegrain or brown bread or any bread thats toasted, but not too much as you might dump it...

As for rice and pasta, I eat rice sometimes as well as pasta, but again in moderation. Some people prefer to exclude carbs totally because you lose weight faster, but I believe that everything is fine in moderation.

After surgery its trail and error, some people struggle with certain foods and others don't. One thing i struggle with is potatoes, as it feels like it gets stuck as well as chicken breasts. Ive noticed though that if you eat foods like that, that I always eat it with a sauce or fat free cream cheese etc then it goes down easy.

I really don't feel that the opp has robbed me from anything :D you'll notice that your food preferences will also change. A salad with chicken sounds much better to me than a hamburger at this stage! Fatty foods will make you feel terrible.

As for carbonated drinks: it could stretch out your pouch, the stuck "winds" will make you feel terrible. It's just not worth it!

Hope this helped!! ;)

Great information! Thank you! That makes me feel somewhat better that you're at least not completely refrained from pastas and stuff (in moderation). Carbonation I could probably get by without but that other stuff was really worrying me. And I get what you're saying about the "wind". I never really thought about that but it does build up I'm sure.

Do some reading in the nutrition sections and you'll see what kinds of foods people who are successful eat.. it is a rare one that eats much in the way of any of those in anything other than tiny amounts, and usually then only on rare occasions.

If you do eat bread and/or rice and/or pasta, you will need to eat them as complex carbs, (meaning whole wheat, whole grain.. not white bread, white rice or reg. white pasta made with with bleached flour) and it is best to avoid any of them at all costs during your 'honeymoon' phase.

As a lap bander, you will have some different rules but to be successful and lose the weight, you need to focus on protein and then veggies, then fruit as much as possible just as any other surgery you might be having.

The more bread, rice, pasta you eat, the slower your weight loss will be and the tougher it'll be for you to get to goal.

You can be successful without eating fish.. but I don't know too many that can be very successful if you won't eat vegetables and fruit, instead of breads, rice and pasta.. it's kind of what you've eaten to get to the point you are now so you might need to spend some time thinking about what you will eat post op before you do go through with the surgery if you want success.

As for carbonation, studies have shown that the majority of people who go back to drinking carbonation, will regain their weight....for whatever reason that may be. Dr. Callery just answered a question about the carbonation in the Ask the Doctor section of the forum.

As a lap bander, you will have some different rules but to be successful and lose the weight, you need to focus on protein and then veggies, then fruit as much as possible just as any other surgery you might be having.

The more bread, rice, pasta you eat, the slower your weight loss will be and the tougher it'll be for you to get to goal.

You can be successful without eating fish.. but I don't know too many that can be very successful if you won't eat vegetables and fruit, instead of breads, rice and pasta.. .

It's not that I don't want to eat Veggies or refuse to. I just don't know how. How weird is that? The only vegetables I eat right now are on that big cheeseburger I have! Lol. I just don't know what I would eat that would be good. I guess it's a whole new outlook so I'll have to start refining my recipes and grocery list! :)

It's not that I don't want to eat Veggies or refuse to. I just don't know how. How weird is that? The only vegetables I eat right now are on that big cheeseburger I have! Lol. I just don't know what I would eat that would be good. I guess it's a whole new outlook so I'll have to start refining my recipes and grocery list! :)

And that is how you (we all, for the most part!) got to the point where we needed surgery to help us lose the weight. We all have had to either learn a new way of eating or refine the old way to remove the foods that caused us to get to that point.

Start working now on learning how to prepare foods to eat. Early post op, veggies cooked on the somewhat mushy side are easier to get down.. but later on, you might find you really enjoy all the different ways to eat vegetables.. there is so much flavor there.

And even your protein sources will need to be rethought.. you won't want to be eating cheeseburgers as part of a reg. diet... you'll want lean sources of poultry, beef, pork... experiment with lower fat red meats like bison or beefalo... we get some grass fed beefalo locally that makes the best beef jerky (something I wouldn't touch preop!)..

Start practicing eating in a way that is going to get you to healthy, which is the whole goal, yes?

There is a recipe section here on TT, and there are a plethora of recipe websites and blogs out there. To be honest.. any good phase 1 and phase 2 of the south beach diet recipes might work well...

Two questions for EVERYBODY!!!!! Well maybe 3. I was told by my Dr during our consult that you can't have any carbonation AT ALL, ever. Why is this? I would think it's liquid so it would pass through your pouch with no problem. But that one didn't worry me near as much as the bread. Bread is in EVERYTHING, enchiladas, tortillas, sandwich bread, etc. Can you absolutely never have bread again? That's a lot of stuff. What are your experiences and are these 2 really OFF LIMITS forever once you've got banded?

My 3rd is rice - I didn't realize you couldn't eat rice but someone on one of these forums said rice is a big no no. Does that also mean pasta is a big no no? Then what on earth will I eat? I'm at a total loss.

And as far as protein - I like chicken, any red meat, pork. But I hear these things are sometimes hard to get down and I hate seafood so any kind of fish is just out fo the question.

They told you NEVER?! That's like telling a child they can never play! lol. Just kidding...but seriously..I was told you can't have it for a while. Did you get a list of a timeline of the foods you can have? Im only one month post op however my Dr. told me slowly going into the food groups, some people can handle bread again, rice, pasta, etc....some people cant. My friend had the lap band a year and half ago and she cant eat bread anymore because it doesnt sit well and she throws it up. However, she can have pastas just fine. Rice is touch and go with her.

I think it just depends on the individual person. Remember, chew chew chew!

They told you NEVER?! That's like telling a child they can never play! lol. Just kidding...but seriously..I was told you can't have it for a while. Did you get a list of a timeline of the foods you can have? Im only one month post op however my Dr. told me slowly going into the food groups, some people can handle bread again, rice, pasta, etc....some people cant. My friend had the lap band a year and half ago and she cant eat bread anymore because it doesnt sit well and she throws it up. However, she can have pastas just fine. Rice is touch and go with her.

I think it just depends on the individual person. Remember, chew chew chew!

Yea the whole NEVER word scared me. lol. Not that I should be endulging all the time in these but to think I could basically not have anything white ever again was like HOLY COW! Good to know some can at least tolerate it in moderation.

Yea the whole NEVER word scared me. lol. Not that I should be endulging all the time in these but to think I could basically not have anything white ever again was like HOLY COW! Good to know some can at least tolerate it in moderation.

Lots of people can 'tolerate' them.. but lots of people have trouble losing weight with them, too. It's a lot of the stuff that got us fat in the first place which is another reason to avoid them as much as possible.

Sadie,

I had banded gastric bypass..so the band really helps with keeping the pouch from streching, but with that said I was told carbornation will stretch your pouch..so I think its best to just stay way from any drinks with carbornation..I am only a little over a month out & still can not handle bread. so I just stay away from it...for now I just eat protein, veggies & can do salttine crackers if I really feel like I need some carbs..

The only time I drank fizzy (Don't ask me why but the leaflet I got for my food regime doesn't mention carbonated at all :confused: just calorie free) I had pains similar to the gas pains I had when I was first banded, the trapped wind pain. I felt awful afterwards too as it gave me hiccups!

I was never a fish or veg eater before and I find it difficult too not knowing how to cook stuff so I try and buy the microwave easy cook things, the mixed veg in steamable pouches and things like sea bass that you can bake in the bag (it does have some butter in there so not for everyday but it will give you an idea what it tastes like) I live in the UK so Asda (wallmart) frozen section is great for these individual boil in the bag things. I've found it hard to cut back on the carbs, the picture in my head when I make a meal always involves some kind of potato but even the odd chip doesnt suit my pouch so I try and avoid it now and just dream :rolleyes:

The only time I drank fizzy (Don't ask me why but the leaflet I got for my food regime doesn't mention carbonated at all :confused: just calorie free) I had pains similar to the gas pains I had when I was first banded, the trapped wind pain. I felt awful afterwards too as it gave me hiccups!

I was never a fish or veg eater before and I find it difficult too not knowing how to cook stuff so I try and buy the microwave easy cook things, the mixed veg in steamable pouches and things like sea bass that you can bake in the bag (it does have some butter in there so not for everyday but it will give you an idea what it tastes like) I live in the UK so Asda (wallmart) frozen section is great for these individual boil in the bag things. I've found it hard to cut back on the carbs, the picture in my head when I make a meal always involves some kind of potato but even the odd chip doesnt suit my pouch so I try and avoid it now and just dream :rolleyes:

The sad thing is - I think I already have a bread intolerance. No matter what i eat, I get sick and have severe cramping so the fact that it will limit my carbs is probably a good thing! I remember like 10 years ago or so I tried doing the Atkins diet and cut out bread and I never felt better. Obviously that didn't work for too long...

• 3 months later...

I can eat everything. I eat breads, rice, pasta, whatever. I have learned to eat breads slowly. Also, I had a conversation with 6 bariatric surgeons who were at a forum I attended. All agreed that drinking soda is perfectly OK in moderation. It is not good for anyone even if it is diet. There is some theory out there that it expands our pouch but none of the surgeons subscribed to that theory at all. I drink it maybe once a week. I have had 2 fills now and I have only lost 5 pounds so perhaps Im not giving the best advise. Im still waiting to feel restriction and start losing weight. This whole process to me has been disappointing. I thought I would find the band as more of a "tool"...but at this point is is just a band around my belly that has cost me a ton of money.

I can eat everything. I eat breads, rice, pasta, whatever. I have learned to eat breads slowly. Also, I had a conversation with 6 bariatric surgeons who were at a forum I attended. All agreed that drinking soda is perfectly OK in moderation. It is not good for anyone even if it is diet. There is some theory out there that it expands our pouch but none of the surgeons subscribed to that theory at all. I drink it maybe once a week. I have had 2 fills now and I have only lost 5 pounds so perhaps Im not giving the best advise. Im still waiting to feel restriction and start losing weight. This whole process to me has been disappointing. I thought I would find the band as more of a "tool"...but at this point is is just a band around my belly that has cost me a ton of money.

Perhaps try not eating breads, rice, pasta and not drinking soda.. see if that makes a difference. It should. We do need carbs in our diets, but we get plenty from our dairy, vegetables and fruit, so there is never a need to have the breads, rice, pasta.. and whether we expand our stomachs with the carbonation- we certainly don't need the phosphorous leaching the calcium from our bones (and that goes whether we had WLS or not)

I really like whole wheat tortillas. (low carb version) they have 3 grams of protein and sometimes I will melt some cheese and make a quesadilla. Yummy. just take it slow at first and don't stress over what you can't eat, but concentrate on what you can and what tastes good to you. String cheese has been my lifesaver!

Its your body and your choices, just like choosing to have this surgery. If you feel that there are to many limits and restrictions on your lifestyle then you might want to try another means of weight loss. Ive found that this surgery doesnt solve all your weight issues, and its not a easy way out for sure. Its a tool to be used to control your appetite and in doing so there are certain guidlines you need to follow to see that the tool performs to its best ability. Just like any tool, it only works when you use it correctly. The best advice I can offer is this: If your seriously considering this surgery, read as much as you can about life after WLS. Its work, and you still have to watch what you eat, and you still need to exercise. I dont regret having it for one second, but remember, its not some new years fad diet...its a rest of your life decision...Good luck...and God bless...

I am curious as to why we have to limit carbs so much. All the docs explained that losing weight is simple science. Eat less than you burn off and the fat will eventually come off. I limit my carbs for sure, but I havent cut them out completely. I didnt think I needed to. My diet is restricted ( mostly because IM doing it, not because the band is doing it) and I work out very hard 5 days a week. That alone, as science dictates, should result in fat burn..... right?????? Evidently not, not for me anyway. Ugh...so frustrating.

I am curious as to why we have to limit carbs so much. All the docs explained that losing weight is simple science. Eat less than you burn off and the fat will eventually come off. I limit my carbs for sure, but I havent cut them out completely. I didnt think I needed to. My diet is restricted ( mostly because IM doing it, not because the band is doing it) and I work out very hard 5 days a week. That alone, as science dictates, should result in fat burn..... right?????? Evidently not, not for me anyway. Ugh...so frustrating.

Not for me either.. I don't think there is a such thing as 'simple science'.. If it was as easy as calories in/calories out, I'd be thin, thin, thin.

You need to limit simple starchy carbs because the way our body reacts to them.. they spike insulin which triggers hunger, cravings and slows weight loss and/or can cause weight gain.

You can get all the carbs you need from dairy, veggies, & fruit. Plain and simple.

My plan is different in that I am allowed carbs and I am encouraged to have carbs with every meal....including bread, rice, potatoes,etc.

I think we all know that carbs can be fattening when not in the correct portion. For me now its all about moderation. For example, I have a slice of brown toast every morning for breakfast....as opposed to the 2 or 3 slices I would have had pre surgery. For dinner I might have half a potato....instead of the 2 I would have had before.

I dunno...we are all different, as are our surgeons and NUTs guidelines. I try to stick to my guidelines and I would recommend you so the same. But in all honesty it does seem mad to never be able to eat those foods again.

My plan is different in that I am allowed carbs and I am encouraged to have carbs with every meal....including bread, rice, potatoes,etc.

I think we all know that carbs can be fattening when not in the correct portion. For me now its all about moderation. For example, I have a slice of brown toast every morning for breakfast....as opposed to the 2 or 3 slices I would have had pre surgery. For dinner I might have half a potato....instead of the 2 I would have had before.

I dunno...we are all different, as are our surgeons and NUTs guidelines. I try to stick to my guidelines and I would recommend you so the same. But in all honesty it does seem mad to never be able to eat those foods again.

Starch carbs spike insulin, triggering cravings for more carbs.. and causes us to feel hungry sooner, which is why most plans (at least in the US) say to avoid them. Lots of healthier ways of getting carbs in our diets than eating starches.

I'd never say never.. just "not right now".. I no longer believe in moderation, at least not until the final goal is reached.. I've seen too many people, myself included start living a 'moderation' type diet too soon, and never reach goal.

I waws told I could eat them up to 3 times a week but have chosen not to. I do eat beans but very little of them but I never eat rice, bread, pasta or potaoes. I do not miss them at all. You get used to it once you see the weight coming off. i stay away from sugar too. I was addicted to that but do not miss it either. Have not slipped at all on either and am down 56 pounds already. After surgery it really does not interest you anymore. you will see. good luck with everything

How did you get away from the sugar? I believe my eating habits would change as well if I saw some weight loss. Im just so disappointed that nothing is happening that I feel I may as well just eat whatever I want. Thankfully, I usually make good choices but I still crave sugar. I eat the Weight Watchers ice cream bars but they still have lots of sugar grams. I see so many posts that indicate extreme weight loss early on in this journey and it makes me wonder why I am different. I feel no restriction at 4.5 cc's. I feel like Im just on a diet and I know that doesnt really work for me.... hence the lapband for $15K. My doc assures me that things will change so I suppose I have no choice to keep waiting. Everyone tells me to make better food choices. Well...no crap! But that is why I chose this process. Making good food choices 100% of the time is not something that I can commit to doing. Again.... thats why I chose this process as a means to help me. Being on a "diet" this long and working out very hard with NO change does not give me the motivation to make good food choices 100% of the time. I feel like people arent understanding that. People give me good advice, and as thankful as I am.... I already KNOW that stuff. Without seeing results it does not make me want to continue that struggle so I resort back to just eating OK and working out hard. Oh, Im just so frustrated and I so wish I could find someone who has been in this particular situation.