jayd4wg

compromised immune system after surgery?

Long story short, my wife and I both had surgery. Mine was 19 months ago and hers just over 9 months.

Last week, we got a kitten. Cute little bugger too...and I hate cats. This one however made me like him. Fast forward a couple days. exactly 2 days. My wife starts complaining of a lump under her armpit. No big deal, we humans get them once in a while...ingrown hair from shaving or something...maybe changed deoderant, right? Wrong. 4 days post cat, her lump is getting large...and I'm starting to get one. she goes to urgent care and gets antibiotics. they don't help. 6 days post cat, my armpit is really sore, and hers looks like a freekin orange growing in her armpit...she is in excruciating pain and goes to our primary.

He lances the cyst and drains ALOT of puss from it. He doubles her antibiotic up with something stronger. additionally, he packs the wound with more gauze (FREEKING GROSS!!!! YUCK YUCK BARF GAG!!!) and sends her home with instructions to come back in 2 days to get re-packed.

I go to see him the next day as mine is now unbearable as well and he informs me that mine is not ready to be lanced yet. but he's VERy concerned about both of us having the same infection, at the same time...with the same symptoms.

I had all kinds of things running thru my head - Staph, MRSA, etc...

Yesterday, wife goes back in and gets repacked and changes to the antibiotic I was prescribed which he put me on after finding out about the cat. It's working...

after yesterdays visit, he thinks we have a case of Bartonella Henselae - Cat Scratch Disease. Here's whats bugging me though. This usually does not show up for at least a week, our showed up after just one solid day with the cat. I was bitten, she was not even scratched. This disease/illness manifests in the upper torso lymph nodes and according the the PCP, we are "classic" examples of advanced b. Henselae. What caused it to manifest so quickly with us?

Do you guys think there's any connection at all to the surgery and this? My kids have not gotten ANYTHING from the cat but a couple scratches on arms and legs...no bites, and my 2 year old was carrying it around like a whining rag doll.

I was sad to see the cat go, sadder still having my 2 year old ask where kitty is...but i can't deal with this crap on an ongoing basis. Further - the Humane society took special note of the fact that the kitten bit me bad and demanded it be tested for rabies. Greeeeeaaaat. Can't wait to get THAT call from the county health department...

:eek::mad::confused:

Edited by cinwa
language

What a crazy story!! I hate to think that there's a connection, but we really never know what we've done to ourselves in the long run by having this surgery. Did your PCP think there is any connection? Glad to hear you're feeling better!

My dad got Cat Scratch Fever from his cat after being bit. It has to do with the bacteria in their mouths. Apparently it can be treated and it isn't fatal. I am wondering how your wife got it if she wasn't bit?

My dad got Cat Scratch Fever from his cat after being bit. It has to do with the bacteria in their mouths. Apparently it can be treated and it isn't fatal. I am wondering how your wife got it if she wasn't bit?

It can also be transmitted through mucous membranes...and kittens tend to lick quite a bit.

I'm not sure why you were showing symptoms within 1 day...but stranger things have happened. I'm sorry to hear that the kitty had to be tested for rabies.

It can also be transmitted through mucous membranes...and kittens tend to lick quite a bit.

I'm not sure why you were showing symptoms within 1 day...but stranger things have happened. I'm sorry to hear that the kitty had to be tested for rabies.

kinda sad...only kinda. no kitty is worth the kind of grief and agony we've endured this past week. I know now why i'm a dog person. cats have little use to me. Some people love them...some people "get" them. I think they are invasive foreign predators that do not belong in the eco system. If you have cats, please keep them indoors. I heard once that Feral Cats are Gods form of Ballistic Gelatin...i'm afraid I might have to agree with that statement.

time for more ibuprofen...it barely takes the edge off. Doc gave me nothing good for the ouchies...wife got the good stuff and she ain't sharing LOL

Poor kitty. I think there is link. We are malabsorbed so of course we are more apt to getting sick. I have had several sinus infections since my surgery. Before I could count on 1 per year. BTW...I saw you are taking ibuprofen. I havent had ibuprofen since surgery. Does it upset your pouch?

ibuprofen does not seem to bother me...but I don't take it very often. Usually, it's tylenol...butI wanted the anti-inflamatory in the ibuprofen.

Currently taking 2 antibiotics, percs, OTC pain/inflammation, and my normal vitamins and such. Still have the iron stomach...it's just much smaller now :)

btw...did i mention that I hate cats? the infection is pretty gross today, oozing and such. wife changed my bandage today and I did a half a shower to freshen up a little. glad i changed the dressing...infection smells NASTY.

Lose the cat. Be done with it.

Lose the cat. Be done with it.

In case you missed it - "tested for rabies" = dead cat.

Okay, this little "story" is kind of funny...if you have a sick sense of humor, and I do!

I worked in a veterinary office and had a client come in and ask us to "test their animal for rabies". And I had to explain why we and/or the health department didn't just "test" animals for rabies for no reason...the client was a little "surprised" and said in that case they didn't want the test.

I did not know that. Wow.

I did not know that. Wow.

The only 'test' for rabies that I'm aware of means doing some sort of test on their brains after death, so yep.. 'test for rabies' does = dead animal.

Pretty sad, really.

It's sad that the poor little kitty had to go that way but better safe than sorry. It's kind of shocking how fast everyone got hit with that cat scratch fever thing. I've not heard of a suppressed immune system after post op.. if anything I'm far less sick now days of most things... far less colds, for instance, though I do seem to get sicker when I do get one so maybe? I dunno.

Pretty sad, really.

what is REALLY tragic is when a person ignores the possibility of rabies and avoids testing the animal in some cases. Once symptoms show, it's too late and death is guaranteed. Human or animal alike. the WORST part about this little fact is that one of the first symptoms of rabies in humans is irritability and anxiety. Yeah...as though i don't have either of THOSE two symptoms after this ordeal LOL

Human or animal alike. the WORST part about this little fact is that one of the first symptoms of rabies in humans is irritability and anxiety. Yeah...as though i don't have either of THOSE two symptoms after this ordeal LOL

Dang, I know ALOT of people who must be in the first stages of rabies...:rolleyes:

Wow we don't have rabies in the UK so I had no idea that the only way to prove that the animal is free from it is to kill it first. It kind of reminds me of the old witch trials where if the poor woman died it meant she wasn't a witch. Go figure. Did the kittens parents display any rabid signs? surely if the kitten had rabies it would have contracted it from them :confused: or is my British lack of rabies awareness off kilter there?

Have you and your wife actually been confirmed as having a Bartonella Henselae bacterial infection? It would normally be children that are more susceptible to the disease yet you say your kids were not infected. :confused:

I believe you can contract the infection from either a bite, scratch or even if the kitten licks an open wound. I have also read that it usually takes 3 to 10 days for a blister or small bump to appear at the site of a scratch or bite, and that Lymph node swelling only begins about 1 to 4 weeks later, so maybe it was coincidental that you and your wife experienced the symptoms at the time the kitten arrived and it wasn't in fact the inoculation host. Maybe you were both infected by a different source (I believe about 10% of Bartonella Henselae infections are from none cat hosts) and the kitten got a bum rap. I don't see any reason why post op patients should experience the symptoms any quicker as its a blood related infection rather than a gastric route.

I'm a dog person but my daughter does have two cats that live with us, and though to be honest I can take or leave them I reckon calling them "invasive foreign predators that do not belong in the eco system" is a slight over reaction mate. You could make the same case for almost every type of animal that we bring into our homes as pets, I'm sure the parents of children that have been mauled by someone's pet dog would feel the same way about all dogs too.

I hope you and your wife get better real soon, though if they haven't already, I would be asking my doctor to carry out proper tests to establish the causative agent of the infection just to be on the safe side, just in case it isn't in fact a Bartonella Henselae infection.

Good luck with your recovery

re: invasive foreign predator - google Feral Cats Wisconsin and watch the fireworks. I don't have an issue with people having cats, just letting them wander in the wild. Don't get me started on this subject...it has little to do with WLS.

Getting back on track...i had another gland swell and subside on it's own about a month ago, then about a week ago another started...i was trying to let this one go it's normal route too and heal on it's own...but as of today, 3 golf ball sized glands protruding from my armpit have me seeking consol with my primary in the morning. I hope to God I don't have to get lanced again...that is the nastiest thing ever. I still hate cats.