bakerswifey09

Was ok but now an issue

OK, so my employer said they were ok with taking off for surgery. After a week I went back to work for a day and left bc I couldn't handle it. Came back the next week and was fine. I then started having some complications and had to go to the ER a few times which required me to miss the next day of work per the doctor. I had notes from the hospital which my employer said they did not need. I also have to go to my follow up appointments. My employer said they had no issue with this either. OK, well here I am 7 weeks post op and my employer suddenly has an issue with my absences and told me it could affect my status at work and I should keep on top of it. What do you think is going on here? This is also an employer who gets on to me for being too efficient. :confused:

Well I think some employers do not know what all is involved in weight loss surgery. If all goes well thats great but for some they have to have multiple follow up appoinments and that can have us miss a lot of time from work. Did you sign flma paper work if so you are allowed 12 weeks of time off and they still have to give you your job or another one of equal pay. Hang in there hopefully all will go well for you from now on. Michelle

Well I think some employers do not know what all is involved in weight loss surgery. If all goes well thats great but for some they have to have multiple follow up appoinments and that can have us miss a lot of time from work. Did you sign flma paper work if so you are allowed 12 weeks of time off and they still have to give you your job or another one of equal pay. Hang in there hopefully all will go well for you from now on. Michelle

hi, ill have to look into the flma papers. i was part time when i started and then went full time. i explained to them before what was involved...crazy ppl!

Keep all of those notes from your doctor and the hospital. And understand that your employer was not expecting you to be out as long as you have been. Can you work from home at all? I did that because it was easier to work from home than to come into work and I didn't have any complications.

Keep all of those notes from your doctor and the hospital. And understand that your employer was not expecting you to be out as long as you have been. Can you work from home at all? I did that because it was easier to work from home than to come into work and I didn't have any complications.

How are you liking NC? I just came from Fayetteville. I do have all my documentation, I told them that I would need time off for appointments and all that. They said ok no problem, no worries. Now "it could affect my status"??

hmmm...is it possible to make some of your appointments after work? or maybe really early in the am?? I would say the employer was not thinking 7 weeks later and you would still be going every week?? to doctors..(if u are going every week that is) Its hard if that is the case on both parties- they still need the work done- you know?? I would be more worried about them thinking huh?? she can get it done in 4 days what was taking 5 days pryor- lets cut her down to part time again..

good luck and hopefully you are at the end of all these appointments- I know I only went every month to 6 weeks after I had mine..and now its pretty much done now at goal

I went through this too. At first it was "yeah sure just take care of you" after the fact is was "are you taking off again" Do what you can do but remember its just a job. I quit mine 3 weeks ago. I was seriously at my breaking point with alot of things. Most Dr's offices are open 8-5. Explain that you are asking for a longer lunch. You arent taking a half day off or taking the entire day off. You can go to the Dr one day and work through your lunch the next. Check with the EEOC. Harrassing/threatening a person for tending to their medical needs, their childrens, spouse or parents is a big no-no.

I think that Charlotte is a mini NYC. It's ok but it would never be my first choice as somewhere to live. I came here from Charleston, SC and I will probably go back there at some time in my life.

Try to get thei first appointment of the day or the last one. Usually if you get the first one you are in and out really quickly. If you have the last appointment you know that everyone is going to want to get you in and out as quickly as possible because they want to go home but depending on how may people were there, you may have to sit a while.

I do ask for the last appointment of the day but my doctors are military docs and I have to take what I can get....I had complications that is why im still going to doctors appointments...this is stressing me out!

I am sorry you are going through this. I had issues after my surgery too. I do not know if I would qualify as complications but had low BP issues and dizziness, nausea and feeling faint. I thought I would be fine after two weeks and went back to work. I struggled everyday for almost two more weeks then at my one month follow up I was pulled back off work for two more weeks. I know that my work was not happy about the additional time especially when one of my colleagues had the surgery two weeks after I did and I do not think she has had one complication. I think this irritated them.

If I could give you any advice, just make sure you are putting your health first. I pushed it at two weeks and paid the price. I believe that if I had given myself a little more time initially, I would not have had to go back out.

Just try everything you can to keep your work informed and schedule the appointments as later or early as possible.

Take care,

Cheri

I do ask for the last appointment of the day but my doctors are military docs and I have to take what I can get....I had complications that is why im still going to doctors appointments...this is stressing me out!

it is stressful and Im sorry you are going through this. Just remember at the end of the day your employer isnt your friend. They have a business to run. If you died they would send a plant and immediately replace you. You have to take care of these complications and follow up for the first year diligently. It sucks I know!

As a manager of several employees, I will say it's really hard to keep the work plan moving forward when there are a lot of unexpected absences. It's easier to plan around someone being out (ie, the first two weeks post-op) than it is to work around someone being out randomly, even for valid reasons. I know some departments within my organization use attendance as a measure on annual performance evaluations (if you're out x nubmer of hours in a quarter, you get marked down so many points), but employees in these departments are told this in advance and know it's a performance measure. I don't know what kind of work you do, but is your absense really a burden on the workplace? Do you often need time away for medical reasons and then ask to leave early every Friday afternoon? If your boss is being unreasonable, is there someone in HR you can talk to?

I have one employee who always took tons of sick time - a few hours and and a few hours there - and it became increasing difficult to keep work flowing. The way we've dealt with this is to switch him to a more flexible schedule. Now he works 80 hours in 9 days and has every other Friday off, with the understanding that he is expected to minimize his time away from the office as much as possible.

As a fellow patient, I say be sure to take care of yourself; your health is too important. Doctors' offices drive me CRAZY! I always ask for the first appointment of the day and have been known to push appointments out several weeks in order to be the first one in the office (which, of course, you can't do in emergent situations). I hate doctors' offices for the simple fact that sceduling is such a nightmare...these are smart people, surely they should be able to schedule their time, but no...

Update guys, I got fired today! Can you believe that...jeez

As a manager of several employees, I will say it's really hard to keep the work plan moving forward when there are a lot of unexpected absences. It's easier to plan around someone being out (ie, the first two weeks post-op) than it is to work around someone being out randomly, even for valid reasons. I know some departments within my organization use attendance as a measure on annual performance evaluations (if you're out x nubmer of hours in a quarter, you get marked down so many points), but employees in these departments are told this in advance and know it's a performance measure. I don't know what kind of work you do, but is your absense really a burden on the workplace? Do you often need time away for medical reasons and then ask to leave early every Friday afternoon? If your boss is being unreasonable, is there someone in HR you can talk to?

I have one employee who always took tons of sick time - a few hours and and a few hours there - and it became increasing difficult to keep work flowing. The way we've dealt with this is to switch him to a more flexible schedule. Now he works 80 hours in 9 days and has every other Friday off, with the understanding that he is expected to minimize his time away from the office as much as possible.

As a fellow patient, I say be sure to take care of yourself; your health is too important. Doctors' offices drive me CRAZY! I always ask for the first appointment of the day and have been known to push appointments out several weeks in order to be the first one in the office (which, of course, you can't do in emergent situations). I hate doctors' offices for the simple fact that sceduling is such a nightmare...these are smart people, surely they should be able to schedule their time, but no...

There wasn't an HR department. Is that not weird or what. Anyways, they fired me today.

There wasn't an HR department. Is that not weird or what. Anyways, they fired me today.

Sounds like a strange place to work. I'm sorry you got fired, but I guess the up side of that is that you can collect unemployment?

Sounds like a strange place to work. I'm sorry you got fired, but I guess the up side of that is that you can collect unemployment?

Since she got fired they will fight it tooth and nail. Something similar happened to me. Its funny how some employers have no issue asking people to come in early, stay late, answer email from home, come in on weekends, work through lunch etc....BUT when you need 2 hours for a Drs appointment its the end of the world. This whole thing makes me so mad.

I know it's too late for me to offer advice on what to do since you've been fired, but hopefully this will be a wake-up call for others when embarking on this surgery. My first thought was that it was nuts for you to go back to work one week after surgery. Perhaps if you had taken at least a second week, you might not have had complications. People think they feel good after a week, but think about it, this is major surgery! Your innards have been rerouted. Did your surgeon give you the ok to return to work after one week or did you not ask and just figured you felt well enough? Had you rested a bit more after major surgery like this, you might not have had complications that made you go back to the doctor several times. (Notice I said 'might not'.)

Anyway, you have been fired, but you might have some good, valid reasons for a fight to get unemployment. Although companies can fire people at will, they may not be able to side-step the illness issue. Bottom line, you missed work because you had health problems. Unless you were fired for other reasons, I think you could fight this and at least get some compensation. JMHO. I'm not a lawyer or HR expert, but it's worth a shot anyway. Good luck.

I know it's too late for me to offer advice on what to do since you've been fired, but hopefully this will be a wake-up call for others when embarking on this surgery. My first thought was that it was nuts for you to go back to work one week after surgery. Perhaps if you had taken at least a second week, you might not have had complications. People think they feel good after a week, but think about it, this is major surgery! Your innards have been rerouted. Did your surgeon give you the ok to return to work after one week or did you not ask and just figured you felt well enough? Had you rested a bit more after major surgery like this, you might not have had complications that made you go back to the doctor several times. (Notice I said 'might not'.)

Anyway, you have been fired, but you might have some good, valid reasons for a fight to get unemployment. Although companies can fire people at will, they may not be able to side-step the illness issue. Bottom line, you missed work because you had health problems. Unless you were fired for other reasons, I think you could fight this and at least get some compensation. JMHO. I'm not a lawyer or HR expert, but it's worth a shot anyway. Good luck.

This is true given she has Dr's notes (which shouldnt be hard to get) I know of one guy that was fired and got unemployment and 1 woman that quit and got it. The unemployment commission said that no reasonable person would have stayed so they granted her unemployment.

This is true given she has Dr's notes (which shouldnt be hard to get) I know of one guy that was fired and got unemployment and 1 woman that quit and got it. The unemployment commission said that no reasonable person would have stayed so they granted her unemployment.

Wish I had known this several months ago. My husband quit his job and didn't even try to get unemployment because he quit. Oh well, he starts his new job on Monday, but being out of work since May did put a dent into our savings.

i work in HR...and am 6 days post op :) yay.

first of all, assuming your employer has 75 people in a 150 mile radious, he qualifies for FMLA...and your job is protected by the FML Act. Your job was protected FEderally. I am sorry that you got fired, but you can sue them. Contact the eeoc and file a discrimination claim IMMEDIATELY. You also should get unemployment. if you have already been denied, it's not too late, you have a year to file again.

please let me know if you have any questions. i HATE when employers don't treat their people right...especially with such a life changing surgery. so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE respond or email me if you need help. :)

laurie1314@gmail.com

Edited by laureltennison
misspoke

he can STILL FILE. and if you win, you'll get back pay. FILE AWAY...and hope that the company didn't keep good records :) lol

\

What do you have to lose?