Forget*me*not

Calcium Citrate

The surgeon recommends calcium citrate, the chewable kind. I have found chewable tablets at The Vitamin Shoppe, but does anyone know of the chewy kind of calcium citrate like the Viactive (which is calcium carbonate)? I remember going to a support group meeting where there were free samples of it but I didn't take any and didn't get the name.

Yep, the calcet creamy bites Kel mentioned. Bariatric Advantage has some too but I think theirs are kinda gritty and not as good.

Kelly

I think I heard Calcet. ;)

I love bariatric advantage's chewy calciums. The only bad thing is that they are only 250 mg, so you have to take a lot to get your goal in. But they are very tasty :)

I love bariatric advantage's chewy calciums. The only bad thing is that they are only 250 mg, so you have to take a lot to get your goal in. But they are very tasty :)

I had a problem with BA's Chewy Bite's sugar alcohols. The 2 Chewy Bites (for a 500mg dose of calcium citrate) gives 6g of sugar alcohols and I found that upset my tummy.

I wasn't too keen on the gritty texture either so went with Celebrate's Calcet - I like both the chocolate and lemon.

I am on Centrum chewables and kids tums (calcium carbonate)...they are the correct kind of calcium per my dietician for the first six weeks after surgery. After that they want me to switch to the calcium citrate and it just says to avoid oyster shell or bone calcium...that all being said my dietician did say that if I can't tolerate any of the other kinds I can stick with the kids tums.

I am on Centrum chewables and kids tums (calcium carbonate)...they are the correct kind of calcium per my dietician for the first six weeks after surgery. After that they want me to switch to the calcium citrate and it just says to avoid oyster shell or bone calcium...that all being said my dietician did say that if I can't tolerate any of the other kinds I can stick with the kids tums.

Your dietician is misinformed. We cannot absorb calcium carbonate because we don't have enough stomach acid. We get about 4% of the calcium from them. So you'd have to take about a whole bottle every day to get enough calcium!

Kelly

Yes Kelly, you are right. The surgeon at the support group did not elaborate on the reasoning for the calcium citrate but I do know that the citric acid in the calcium citrate helps break down the calcium without leaving particles behind. I had already purchased the chewy Viactive when I realized they were calcium carbonate so I hated to throw them away but since they aren't doing me any good I guess I will take them to work and give them to someone who may want them. No point in my keeping them. Thanks and hugs.

Your dietician is misinformed. We cannot absorb calcium carbonate because we don't have enough stomach acid. We get about 4% of the calcium from them. So you'd have to take about a whole bottle every day to get enough calcium!

Kelly

Yep! This is directly from my WLS binder from my surgeon:

DO NOT TAKE PRODUCTS THAT CONTAIN CALCIUM CARBONATE, such as Viactiv, Tums, and Caltrate. These products need stomach acid to be activated, and patients who have had weight-loss surgery will not be able to absorb these products very well. The following is a list of suggested calcium:

Bariatric Advantage Calcium Citrate (bariatricadvantage.com)

TwinLabs (vitamin shoppe)

Solaray (vitamin shoppe)

Puritan's Pride Calcium Citrate (puritan.com)

NSI Calcium Citrate (vitacost.com)

Hope this helps!

Interesting...my centrum has the carbonate in it and she did tell me to eat around 6 of the kids tums per day. I guess she was thinking that some calcium was better than none until my postop? My paperwork does say to switch to the carbonate. The carbonate seems more expensive but worth it for the absorption!

Yep! This is directly from my WLS binder from my surgeon:

DO NOT TAKE PRODUCTS THAT CONTAIN CALCIUM CARBONATE, such as Viactiv, Tums, and Caltrate. These products need stomach acid to be activated, and patients who have had weight-loss surgery will not be able to absorb these products very well. The following is a list of suggested calcium:

Bariatric Advantage Calcium Citrate (bariatricadvantage.com)

TwinLabs (vitamin shoppe)

Solaray (vitamin shoppe)

Puritan's Pride Calcium Citrate (puritan.com)

NSI Calcium Citrate (vitacost.com)

Hope this helps!

Too bad they aren't suggestion Celebrate Vitamins and Calcium.. by far the best as far as I'm concerned.. not gritty, taste grate and in the forum we need post op.

Bariatric Vitamins | Celebrate Bariatric Supplements | Bariatric Surgery & Nutrition

And by far, the best costumer service of any company I've ever dealt with, of any kind.

Too bad they aren't suggestion Celebrate Vitamins and Calcium.. by far the best as far as I'm concerned.. not gritty, taste grate and in the forum we need post op.

Bariatric Vitamins | Celebrate Bariatric Supplements | Bariatric Surgery & Nutrition

And by far, the best costumer service of any company I've ever dealt with, of any kind.

Well said!

I've dealt with most of the other companies but Celebrate's products and customer services are second to none.

And I happen to think that their Calcet Creamy Bites are THE best tasting calcium supplements out there.

thanks for the site! i'm still pre-op but i will definitely try those and tell my surgeon about them, (if he doesn't already know).

Edited by devongrace

omg.. I just re read what I typed.. haha... sorry, but those typos, to me, are embarrassing! What I get when I post tired :/ Oh well, y'all got the drift :D

Interesting...my centrum has the carbonate in it and she did tell me to eat around 6 of the kids tums per day. I guess she was thinking that some calcium was better than none until my postop? My paperwork does say to switch to the carbonate. The carbonate seems more expensive but worth it for the absorption!

So you are getting about 180 mg calcium a day. I guess that's better than nothing... but not enough to really matter. You need 1500-2000 mg calcium per day. That means you need at least 50 of those kid's Tums a day, not six.

Or you could take calcium citrate and actually absorb it.

Kelly

omg.. I just re read what I typed.. haha... sorry, but those typos, to me, are embarrassing! What I get when I post tired :/ Oh well, y'all got the drift :D

I had to pop a couple of Percocet an hour ago - it read just fine to me Kel!

Question- I actually finally switched over to the right stuff yesterday. But it gives me a bad tummy ache. I actually vomited it up yesterday. (I took 2 or 1000 mg)(I'm a sleever) Today I took one and still want to vomit but I don't think I'm going to. It reminds me of iron.

Anyone else have this problem. any suggestions?

Kelly, you spelled something wrong in that post? where?

Shiver, did you take it with food? that might help.

You might try a different brand. That might not make a difference but it could.

Kelly

Shiver, did you take it with food? that might help.

You might try a different brand. That might not make a difference but it could.

Kelly

No. But I took it with mild.

I don't know if I could fit the pills in after I ate. There is no room. But I'll try. Thanks

Question - How do I take the calcium with food when I'm not suppose to drink for 30 min??? I can't believe I've kept that rule but I have. I'm so proud of myself.