Prescription Vitamins?

POUCH PRiNCESS

My PCP is going to write me prescriptions for the multivitamins I need to make sure I have the right ones in the right amounts, but we're both at a loss for which ones she should prescribe. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Personally, I don't know of any prescriptive (or OTC) vitamins that meet the recommended 200% RDA - and more specifically, where the ingredients come in the right form for us.

This is the link to the current recommendations - pages 7 and 8: http://www.asbs.org/Newsite07/resources/bgs_final.pdf

There are only two companies that meet our needs - Celebrate (my choice) and Bariatric Advantage.

You can contact both for free samples: About Us http://www.bariatricadvantage.com/page/contactUs

I haven't seen an prescription multis that meet our needs. Your best bet is Celebrate or Bariatric Advantage. If she wants to prescribe one, just read the label to make sure you're getting 200% of the RDA of things in it.

But I'm confused. If she doesn't know which ones to prescribe, why does she want to prescribe them?

Kelly

Also, we need chewables right now. Celebrate vitamins taste better than Bariatric Advantage. We need the multivitamins plus, iron, B12 and calcium citrate.

She wants to prescribe them because I've run into some unforeseen financial troubles & she's trying to help with that by writing a prescription so I'll only be paying 4 or 5 bucks for vitamins as opposed to 20 or 30 bucks.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not give me the 'you knew what this surgery was when you started this' lecture. When I got the surgery, there was no way I could have known I was going to have this issue.

I do know that my surgeon keeps trying to prescribe prenatal vitamins, 2x dosage for me. (I take celebrate, so I turn him down). Prenatals tend to be a little smaller, so they may be easier to take.

Also, iron and vitamin c. I do have Iron from them, prescribed, but you need to take it with vit C to be absorbed.

If she can prescribe Calcium Citrate, that's awesome, but if not, pick up Citracal at wal-mart or target (they may even have a generic that would be cheaper). OS-Cal D is what the pharmacy tries to give, and it's not worth peanuts for us. Citracal is around 6-8$ a container, for 200 petites (I have to take 9 a day, so that's about 25 days worth) or 120 regular capsules(of which you'd need 6 capsules a day, so that would last about 30 days).

I would look at the vitamins and see if you need her to prescribe zinc too. And ask her to prescribe a b-complex in sublingual form, if possible.

If you can't get a good vit prescribed, I understand that Costcos Multi is decent, so if you or someone you know has a Costco card, that would be a decent, inexpensive route to go.

Check the coupon ads for Citracal coupons, or check online, a lot of times, they'll have coupons for them for a buck or two off, and that's helpful.

I'm sorry you're going through problems. I know that this vit situations isn't the best way to go, but it's better than nothing, and just make sure your labs are checked regularly... I hope things will look better for you soon...

I was prescribed prenatals by prescription right after the surgery, been able to talk every doc into them ever since, and they've worked very well for me. I pay 4 bucks for 'em at Wal-Mart. The current ones are Prenatal Plus Tabs AMN. I have had to supplement with Vitamin A and selenium, for whatever reason my body has wanted more of those--I just buy the Wal-Mart version of those. I also take a sublingual B-12 that I have to order online. All told, my vitamins cost me maybe $10-$12 a month. I also get the Sam's Club/Wal-Mart Calcium Citrate +.

I've been very careful to get everything tested, every six months for the first two years, then every year. Waiting on the results of my last tests, in fact.

She wants to prescribe them because I've run into some unforeseen financial troubles & she's trying to help with that by writing a prescription so I'll only be paying 4 or 5 bucks for vitamins as opposed to 20 or 30 bucks.

Ok... but that really only helps you if she can prescribe something that meets our needs. If she prescribes something that lacks some of what we need, you just have to take more stuff to make up for it, and/or you end up with deficiencies that can be very costly.

If you want something by prescription, you can get a prescription for B12 shots.

I don't think you can get calcium citrate by prescription, but you can check with your pharmacist about that that one.

I know you can get ferrous sulfate by prescription but we absorb carbonyl iron much better, plus ferrous sulfate causes awful constipation in most people so I would not want that for free if it was me.

Do NOT get the prescription vitamin D because it's D2 in oil and you will absorb almost none of it.

Tell her you require a multi with 100% of the RDA of stuff in it and you need two a day. If she can find such an animal by prescription, go for it. And if you don't mind, let me know the name of it, 'cause I'm aware of no such thing.

Another possibility is to contact Bariatric Advantage and sign up for their program that gives FREE bariatric vitamins to people that can't afford them. You just have to have your doctor fill out a form. Andtheir vitamins actually meet our needs.

Kelly