Sfillipan

~*November 2010 Staplers*~

Well guys I have to say I am becoming very scared. When I started my countdown on my phone I had 67 days to go and I was so excited. Now I am in the single digits and very scared. My hubby is becoming very emotional (and he really is not normally like this). He is scared to death that I am going to die. Of course I have thought of this possibility... what would happen to him and my three kids. I called my mom hoping for her to make me feel better, but instead she told me about not one but TWO people she knew that did not make it. Now I am just feeling sick to my stomach. Am I being selfish for having this surgery? I have backed out once before. I was supposed to have surgery the summer of 2009. I never made it to the insurance approval, but I did get my 6 month diet complete. I really don't think like I will back out, but the people I love are making me feel a little guilty about going through with it.

I really needs some encouragement :(

As we all get close to the big day it is natural to be somewhat frightened or fearful and have second thoughts BUT remember why you are doing this - a more healthy you will be a much more active mother and wife and will prolong your life so that you'll be around for the grandkids!! The surgical mortality for GBS is very low as is the morbidity (side-effects) and the benefits seem endless! Please be assured that you have tremendous chances for huge success and follow your instincts and heart! You will do great and TT will be there for you as well!

Carla we are scheduled for the same date and you have a right to have some fear but don't let it ruin what you know is the right decision for you. My husband and I are newlyweds and while he supports me today was the first day he outwardly expressed some concern about the surgery and this is so not like him. But we are going to get through this together...I want us to sit on the losers bench together.

when you say that you will get through this together and you want to be on the losers bench together do you mean that you are both getting GB together?

I think its natural for your husband to be concerned.. I would even loved for there to be some sort of support group for him.. he's not good at expressing himself and this whole ordeal has put him through so much.. I think its a bit though that our husbands that stand by our side holding our hands and being strong for us while they are full of fear themselves deserve some support too.

As we all get close to the big day it is natural to be somewhat frightened or fearful and have second thoughts BUT remember why you are doing this - a more healthy you will be a much more active mother and wife and will prolong your life so that you'll be around for the grandkids!! The surgical mortality for GBS is very low as is the morbidity (side-effects) and the benefits seem endless! Please be assured that you have tremendous chances for huge success and follow your instincts and heart! You will do great and TT will be there for you as well!

so true!! .. if you have any fears i really think its a big eye opener to do some research or just a quick search on google and read some reports about it.. all goes back to how safe this Operation is and how your chances of obesity related death will almost grantee that we die younger if we dont do it

I called my mom hoping for her to make me feel better, but instead she told me about not one but TWO people she knew that did not make it. Now I am just feeling sick to my stomach. Am I being selfish for having this surgery? (

I'm totally amazed your mother would say such a thing and I really doubt there is any truth to it. And no you are not being selfish. I think you will find you will be finely taking control of your body and your life and will gain a tremendous amount of confidence and independence.

If anyone should be scared it is me! I'm 66 years old with 5 co-morbidities, including a heart with problems. The hospital and surgeon are on "my" side and want me to be successful. They are not going to do surgery on me if there is any unnecessary risk. I'm excited and looking forward to the surgery and a chance to get my life back. I will be apprehensive before surgery, but not scared. Scared is the fear of the unknown. We "know" what our future is.

Be strong and ignore the outside influences that would prefer to have you as the old you.

when you say that you will get through this together and you want to be on the losers bench together do you mean that you are both getting GB together?

I think its natural for your husband to be concerned.. I would even loved for there to be some sort of support group for him.. he's not good at expressing himself and this whole ordeal has put him through so much.. I think its a bit though that our husbands that stand by our side holding our hands and being strong for us while they are full of fear themselves deserve some support too.

We don't know each other but we are scheduled for the same procedure on the same day and so will experience the highs and lows at the same time,

:D MY pre op is November 24,10 and my surgery is November 29th., I cant wait!! I am soo tired of the kind of clothes I have to wear I'll be soooo happy when I can wear diffrent styles and brands. Sorry LaneBryant:cool::D

I am so overwelmed with the support. Thank you all! I really needed to hear it and I am so happy I have a place to turn to.

Xeniak- My husband sounds a bit like yours. Nothing really ever seems to bother him and I feel a bit helpless watching him worry about me. I always try to fix everything and instead of fixing myself I want to fix his worry. I told him that I am worried that if i don't do this then I will die of a heart attack or some other weight related issue at a very young age.

mommyesq- We are in this together a bit. I am going to add you to my friend list. I am sure we will both be having a whirl wind of emotions this week!

wick- you are right! Since my kids are so young still, I never really thought of never not being apart of my grandkids life. Sadly if I don't go through with it this would be a very real possibility.

mcnerd- I don't really know what my mom was thinking either. She already knew I was upset, I didnt need to hear anything like that.

Thank you to everyone again. I really was having a breakdown and reading your replies helped me a great deal to keep my eye on the prize!

We don't know each other but we are scheduled for the same procedure on the same day and so will experience the highs and lows at the same time,

Congratulations to you both :) also i want to congratulate you on loosing so much weight pre-op :)

Hi everyone!

1st I want to wish those having surgery this upcoming week the best of luck.

I also hope all is well with those of us who have had surgery. I hope your recovery is going well.

I will have my 1 week post op appt. tomorrow and finally get to eat! Just an egg but I get to eat!

So far my recovery has been AMAZING. My pain is very little. Occasional gas, and a burning sensation on my lower left side below my largest incision when raising from bed. Do any of you have the pain.

I have been Walk Walk Walking! I even walked 10 mins (slow) on the treadmill today on top of my 5 min walks (non treadmill). I suprisingly love walking, who knew! I even decided to do couch to 5k ... a very slow program (1 Year), so I have time to recover and lose more weight. I am starting with building up walking time, then slowly adding sprint. I am committed to doing it; I even invited my mom to my first 5k after my 1 year today!

Also, I can tell I have lost weight in both my face and clothes. I went to buy some long sleeve shirts beause I have been freezing ever since surgery! I woke up from surgery shivering! I was sure the cold was from the weight loss not the surgery but guess I am wrong! Also, the long sleeve shirts I bought a bit tighter than I would normally wear (putting loser short sleeves over, layerin) so they will last a while were in the misses department! That was so exciting!

I was wondering if any of you who have had surgery are feeling cold yet? Also, are you intolerable to sugar. Food is so sweet. I was told it would happen but was shocked at how SWEET sugar free food is! I haven't found a jello I can stand. . . and I, once a hater of water without crystal light, is now afraid to even try crystal light assuming it will be too sweet!

Wow that was a lot of babbling lol.

Hope all of you are well.

Emily

The cold hasn't hit me yet but I remember when my husband got his band he started getting cold much faster than I was used to. : )

So my hubby works a job that has gone into it's craziest and busiest season. He asked for my surgery day off a week ago with no reply back yet. He took in my surgical orders to show that I legitimately am schedule for the day before Thanksgiving. He has been acting a little bit like he should go to work and says he won't be able to get overtime for the whole week if he takes that day off. We could use the money and I worry a bit that this coud look bad for him at work and prevent him from promotions so we agreed to have him just go to work and have my mom take me. I ultimately made this decision with no resistance from him so I know he doesn't care to be there. He is very supportive but a bit withdrawn from this whole thing and even though I want the $ from his overtime for christmas too at the same time my feeings are hurt that he so easily can be away from me @ a time like this. I think I hold a small resentment that same kind of thing happened a couple years ago when I went in for a scope to see if I had endometrial cancer and he wasn't there when I found out that I did. He obviousy would rather escape and because of the $ in this case I agreed. Worried I will be resentful later though :(

Hi everyone!

I also hope all is well with those of us who have had surgery. I hope your recovery is going well.

I will have my 1 week post op appt. tomorrow and finally get to eat! Just an egg but I get to eat!

So far my recovery has been AMAZING. My pain is very little. Occasional gas, and a burning sensation on my lower left side below my largest incision when raising from bed. Do any of you have the pain.

I have been Walk Walk Walking! I even walked 10 mins (slow) on the treadmill today on top of my 5 min walks (non treadmill). I suprisingly love walking, who knew! I even decided to do couch to 5k ... a very slow program (1 Year), so I have time to recover and lose more weight. I am starting with building up walking time, then slowly adding sprint. I am committed to doing it; I even invited my mom to my first 5k after my 1 year today!

Also, I can tell I have lost weight in both my face and clothes. I went to buy some long sleeve shirts beause I have been freezing ever since surgery! I woke up from surgery shivering! I was sure the cold was from the weight loss not the surgery but guess I am wrong! Also, the long sleeve shirts I bought a bit tighter than I would normally wear (putting loser short sleeves over, layerin) so they will last a while were in the misses department! That was so exciting!

I was wondering if any of you who have had surgery are feeling cold yet? Also, are you intolerable to sugar. Food is so sweet. I was told it would happen but was shocked at how SWEET sugar free food is! I haven't found a jello I can stand. . . and I, once a hater of water without crystal light, is now afraid to even try crystal light assuming it will be too sweet!

Emily

hi dreaming - i can relate to everything that you have written. I'm currently 12 days out and the problems with feeling too cold all the time have subsided

about the jello - i cant stand it either right now.. my mom brought me tons of it from the usa and i just cant stand it.. my favorite thing to eat is soup.. doesnt really matter which, i love soup.

about the water with flavoring - i didnt do it at first because i felt bad putting more chemicals in my body etc so thought thta clear water was better for me.. i gave up on that idea because i was having such a hard time getting all my fluids in and with some flavoring and sweetness to it i found that i drank a lot more.. i constantly keep some water with flavoring around me (we dont have Chrystal light here) sugar free of-course

I have been lucky enough not to have had any dumping yet but i've been very very careful to what i eat. Only one time i messed up where there was a yogurt my husband bought that was not light and i didnt notice til i had the second serving. It had 12% sugar and i freaked out LOL but yeah i didnt get dumping (thankgod!).

About the cold.. i wear gloves around the house til i feel better.. and i often wear a robe over clothing i'm wearing lol it passes.. but i did wake up like u describe a lot my first week. Its a lot better now. I hope it gets better for you too.

So my hubby works a job that has gone into it's craziest and busiest season. He asked for my surgery day off a week ago with no reply back yet. He took in my surgical orders to show that I legitimately am schedule for the day before Thanksgiving. He has been acting a little bit like he should go to work and says he won't be able to get overtime for the whole week if he takes that day off. We could use the money and I worry a bit that this coud look bad for him at work and prevent him from promotions so we agreed to have him just go to work and have my mom take me. I ultimately made this decision with no resistance from him so I know he doesn't care to be there. He is very supportive but a bit withdrawn from this whole thing and even though I want the $ from his overtime for christmas too at the same time my feeings are hurt that he so easily can be away from me @ a time like this. I think I hold a small resentment that same kind of thing happened a couple years ago when I went in for a scope to see if I had endometrial cancer and he wasn't there when I found out that I did. He obviousy would rather escape and because of the $ in this case I agreed. Worried I will be resentful later though :(

Well girl i'm really feeling for you reading your message.. I can understand that this time is very emotional and you would really love some support from him in the form of being there physically during the whole thing. I also basically only had my husband there the whole process.. but u know what? he couldnt take care of me to the extent i needed even though he tried.. first of all i dont think men know how ot give you a bath properly.. i dont know about the other post-ops but i could not bend over to wash myself... i could not bend to get my clothing on.. i could not bend over to wipe my self (the first few days atleas)..

Since you guys need the money and he's the main provider i can see how you came to this conclusion. Try your hardest to not hold it agaist him when he's trying to provide for you in the best way that he knows how.

Think hard about the possibilities of anyone else being able to be there the first few days with you. Those are the most crusial times. You will feel fatige and pain limiting anything you will try to do. Can your mother, your sister, your friend be with you the first few days? when do you get out of the hospital? if your hospital is giving you a few days stay it will help a lot. I was released the first day which made it really made it hard for us since i could barely do anything. If your hospital is going to keep you in a few days or even a week i think you will be able to do most of it on your own when you get home. While in the hospital you can get the nurse to help you bathe etc..

keep us updated and best of luck to you sweetie. Try not to hold any of it against your husband, talk to him about all your fears and dont let these things bring you two apart, specially at a crucial time like this.

hi dreaming - i can relate to everything that you have written. I'm currently 12 days out and the problems with feeling too cold all the time have subsided

about the jello - i cant stand it either right now.. my mom brought me tons of it from the usa and i just cant stand it.. my favorite thing to eat is soup.. doesnt really matter which, i love soup.

about the water with flavoring - i didnt do it at first because i felt bad putting more chemicals in my body etc so thought thta clear water was better for me.. i gave up on that idea because i was having such a hard time getting all my fluids in and with some flavoring and sweetness to it i found that i drank a lot more.. i constantly keep some water with flavoring around me (we dont have Chrystal light here) sugar free of-course

I have been lucky enough not to have had any dumping yet but i've been very very careful to what i eat. Only one time i messed up where there was a yogurt my husband bought that was not light and i didnt notice til i had the second serving. It had 12% sugar and i freaked out LOL but yeah i didnt get dumping (thankgod!).

About the cold.. i wear gloves around the house til i feel better.. and i often wear a robe over clothing i'm wearing lol it passes.. but i did wake up like u describe a lot my first week. Its a lot better now. I hope it gets better for you too.

Hi,

you can get crystal light from KoolaidWorld. They process the order the same day and it only takes a couple of days to arrive by post

Hi,

you can get crystal light from KoolaidWorld. They process the order the same day and it only takes a couple of days to arrive by post

cool, i did not know that.. i will have to book mark it.. I have been having all my drinks with something called fun saft which was recommended by my surgeons office. Also found that a few of the German stores we have here in my town offer different sugar-free safts(basicly sugarfree artificial flavored drink concentrated in liquid form instead of powder). I dont know if that makes any sense lol

I will book mark your link though and keep it in mind for when i run out of this stuff

Hi everyone!

Emily

Hi there we had the same date and yes I have the pain/pressure thing going on on my left side. The nurse told me that they call it a pain "bubble" and that many people have it and sometime after surgery 1-4 weeks it just "pops" and it is gone. I am not sure if that is accurate but that is exactly how she described it. I have not had the cold thing going on yet but I am a cold weather lover!

I took my first 1/2 mile walk yesterday around our big block with my protector Montee our dog! And I felt great yesterday I also drove, went to Target and went to my son's last travel soccer game! So yesterday was my first get out of jail day! I hate to be inside without being able to lift laundry baskets and such.

The sweet thing is completely getting to me. Propel used to taste good to me and now it does not it is tooooo sweeet. I am going to try to put less in. The only fruity taste that does not bother me is sugar free popsicles and those I can handle.

Good luck at your 1 week I have to wait till Thursday for mine to get my staples out and I can't wait to get those out.

Sounds like we have had similar recoveries so far isn't it just amazing how your body just does the work?

Jodi, take it from someone who knows. The day I came home after having my hysterectomy, my husband got me comfortable in my bed, went into the kitchen and I heard the ice and water thingy from my fridge going and I thought "oh, how sweet, he's getting me water". Imagine my surprise when he then went into the den and sat down to watch TV. Boy was I pissed. Now I know not to depend on him for situations like this. There are men who are angels and then there are those who just can't handle your pain and don't want to be around. Let it go - that's just who your husband is. If you're worried that you will be resentful later, STOP! Accept who he is and you'll be better for it.

Wow, a lot of topics since I last posted...

- Pets: After a few days of being leashed in the house my dog has figured out that something isn't right with me & is being very considerate & calm (he's usually a spazz). I have blasted the cats with water enough that they are avoiding me altogether. I also got a lap desk (pillow on one side, hard on the other) & put it over my surgery area when I'm not focusing on the cats to disperse pressure just in case.

- SF Worries: My fiance was very worried as well, but I kept reminding him of all the health problems my relatives have, how I wouldn't get the surgery if I hadn't thoroughly researched it, and how it would positively affect our future together. I also threw in some of the post-op sexual side effects I learned from these boards for good measure (there are a few PG-13 threads on these).

Also, I know that in my case, I am the "strong one" and he is the "nurturer." I love his nurturing side and it will be useful in spades after surgery, so I took on the attitude, "Maybe he just needs to lean a little on my strength right now, even if I am the one getting the surgery..." So I validated his reasonable fears & comforted him for those and gave factual answers for his less-reasonable fears.

- Recovery: The bruising on my left side is starting to clear up, but I still feel like I have monster cramps when I'm off my meds. Totally sick of these drains... tired after minimal effort, but once I went on a more caloric liquid diet, I have waaay more energy in general. I too am getting cold/shivery at the drop of a hat, but I'm also pretty sure that I am dropping weight (no official weighing until after drains come out on Thursday).

- Pain Bubble: Pain bubbles are totally real - I have one in my shoulder. It's a bubble of gas that gets trapped when they pump you full, then deflate you for laparoscopic surgeries. It gradually gets reabsorbed into the body, but boy does it hurt/ache until then! My doctor suggested keeping it very warm, gentle rubbing/massage, & movement/walking to help it reabsorb.

- Nutrition/Food: Wow, you guys are going way faster than I am scheduled to go on the way back to solids. I will post my nutritionist's info sheet at some point.

I've read that if I felt myself slipping, I should repeat the steps in 5 days (clears, full liquids, blended, soft, regular food) to "reset" & get back on track: do liquids for 2 days if you can't handle clears. However, I don't think I will slip any time soon, I saw a Cold Stone Creamery ad for ice cream cakes dripping in fudge & caramel & my old "oooh, ice cream, good idea" has turned to revulsion, especially at the sickly sweet stuff like caramel.

Edited by goatwoodward

I had my surgery a week ago today - and I must say.... I was actually worried that my husband was... lets say not 100% supportive. I wanted to prove to him that I could do this, that I was determined to get up, walk, sip, walk, and get out of the hospital asap. Now, my husband is a worry wort, so after we did have several talks, he was and is completely supportive of the surgery, I have history of infections with surgery, so that was his main concern. Anyway, he too, could not be at the hospital all day and night with me. He only has so much vacation and since we were trying not to tell the world about my procedure, we only told a select few. He did take me in the morning, but during my wait and prep, we went and opened the office, checked on things, then came back about 10 min. before I went back for surgery. Once surgery was over, he made sure I was ok and then went to work. I did not see him except in the evenings. I was in the hospital 2 nights and did my very best to prove that I was capable and making it w/out much assistance from him.

I would recommend you use this - rather than being hurt - understand that your family can use the money, and show him that you are going to make good and quick progress. 75% of this is about your mindset - I went in knowing all that could go wrong, realizing everything I needed to do to try and prevent it and atleast for now I am doing better than even I expected..... :) Hang in there and prayers are going out to you.

Hi everyone, just checking in again. I had my surgery on Wednesday, November 10th. I felt like utter crap on Saturday but when I woke up Sunday morning I felt like a brand new woman. I actually went with my sister to Target during the day and then with my best friend to Walmart in the evening. Yes I had to take some sitting breaks and I move a LOT slower than I used to but it was ok. Last night I was sure that I would wake up today feeling horrible as a payback for having such an amazing day yesterday but honestly I feel good today too. I need to return something to Walmart so I think I will just drive myself there today to do it since I haven't been on any pain meds since Saturday at 6pm. This is an adventure and I am very excited to actually be on the Losers bench now. I had a lot of OMG am I doing the right thing moments both right before they wheeled me into the operating room and also as soon as I was in my hospital room but now I am in a much better head space about this.

I hope everyone else is feeling better or on their way to feeling better soon.

... my weight was about 12lbs higher when I got home then it was when I checked in. SAD! I will not get on the scale again till I get my drain out ...

Don't sweat the weight ~ I gained 12 lbs from surgery, as well, but I lost it in just a couple of days. I'm 13 days out from surgery and I've lost the 12 from surgery plus another 13 ... It's all good :-)

... Hello everyone. I got home today and I am doing well. Pain is pretty under controlled and I am no longer Diabetic! ...

How exciting! My blood sugar has been in the 80's since surgery so I'm pretty happy. Best Wishes!

How are the gals feeling that have had surgery? ...

My VSG was on 11/02 and I'm feeling pretty good. I have my pain and nausea under control but still just completely exhausted. The slightest little burst of activity and I'm down for the count for hours. Hoping this will change soon.

Hope you're continuing to do well :-)

I was going to start a new thread, but thought I would post in here first. I have this HUGE feeling that I am going to be the one fail and either not lose or gain all my weight back. I am feeling myself again and like I never had this surgery...I am so afraid of failing at it! For those who have had surgery (mostly goes to the sleevers) how much are you able to eat at a time? Before today I never felt hungry and if I ate, I would take 2-3 bites and not be able to eat more. Now today, I am noticing I can eat more...not sure of exactly how much but atleast 1/3 cup at a time. I am only sticking to the 3 meals a day, but just felt today I was back to my old ways for some reason...setting myself up.

I'm so glad that you took the time to post this b/c I'm starting to have the same feelings and experiences. Right after surgery, I would get a "pressure" feeling in my sleeve everytime I sipped something; however, now I'm not. In the beginning, my surgeon told me to take about an ounce of fluid every ten minutes but then a few days later he told me I could drink as much liquid that my body would allow (I'm still on a "thin liquid" diet). Yesterday, I made some soup out of vegetables and chicken. I consumed 11 ounces before I really realized how much I had in about a 20 minute time frame. I'm now petrified that I've already stretched my sleeve :-( ... I didn't get a hiccup, a runny nose or any sign of fullness that I recognized. Is there a cue that I missed? Is it possible to consume that quantity because it was a thin liquid? I just don't know.

My brain tells me that both of us are doing fine, but in my heart I'm really anxious.

Jodi my husband started a new job today and so I am feeling your pain. I asked him to take off the day of my surgery and so his new job knew he needed in in advance. He will be with me that day (may go to work for a while) and in the evening and then go to work the next day. Hopefully I will be released the next day (11/23) and they hospital staff said they release in the afternoon after you have been able to get your fluids, walk, etc and then he will have some time off during Thanksgiving. I plan to stay home till my 3 week liquid diet is done (my work just would not make this work) and I will be at home pretty much by myself during that time.