TYMACKSTER

Has anyone switched from lap-band to gastric bypass

I'm switching from the lap-band to the gastric bypass and was just wanting to see if anyone has done this?

Yes I originally wanted the lapband but was denied by my insurance in the meantime my brother was approved and got his very quickly. He's had in one year and lost 30 pounds yes he cheats by not following the rules my problem is I am afraid I would do the same because I am that addicted to food. So after much thought and consultation my surgeon and I decided on the RNY and I haven't regretted it for a moment. You will have to decide with your surgeon what will work best for you good luck .

Cathy

I've had the band since 2004 but it is no longer working for me my dr. Emptied it and i have gained all my weight back plus some i have been approved by my insurance to revise to rny and have the band removed. However i too am a food addict. I've just been worried about having the surgery because people say the rny surgery has more risk involved. So i just wanted to see if others had success with the revision. Thank you

I'm switching from the lap-band to the gastric bypass and was just wanting to see if anyone has done this?

Yes - we have several who've revised from the band - hopefully they'll jump in and share their experiences with you.

In the meantime - welcome to T-T! :D

Thank you i'm looking forward to hearing from people who have went from the band to the rny. Cause my surgery date for revision is in july.

I DID.... I had my band for 14 yrs... I had alot of complications with the band, and by the time I had it removed, i had osophageal ulceration, could hardly eat anything solid, so was living on high calorie liquids ( big mistake) and was quite sick... I had it removed, and had RNY at the same time, 7 weeks ago.... And although Im only new to RNY, I am already sooo happy that I did it. ive lost 40 pounds in 7 weeks, and am feeling great.

I had an OPEN operation , so it has taken a while to recover, but in the last 2 weeks, i have been feeling fabulous. My chronic cough ( from the ulcers) has gone, I am able to eat much better already, I dont regreat my decison at all !! good luck to you, and ask any questions you like, if i cant answer them, Im sure someone will be able to....

Karen

I went to the surgeon wanting a lapband but he highly recommended GBP because of my age and other health factors. Personally I love it. I am glad I don't have to deal with a port and having someone fill it with saline and all of that.

I still have my band and it's empty but sometime food still gets stuck and has to come back out. I'm nauseated a lot. I hope i don't have an ulcer, my revision from the band to the rny is probably going to be in early aug. I'm scared but i'm glad your revision went well. Thanks for your reply

I still have my band and it's empty but sometime food still gets stuck and has to come back out. I'm nauseated a lot. I hope i don't have an ulcer, my revision from the band to the rny is probably going to be in early aug. I'm scared but i'm glad your revision went well. Thanks for your reply

you are welcome. if you had ulcers, you would probably have reflux, and heartburn as well, so if you dont have that, then you are probably safe. Good luck with your operation, I was scared to, but everything will be fine....

Karen x