mnddavis1

Important question! Plz Answer

Ok so heres the deal, my surgery in July 22, very soon. I was one of the lucky ones, and did not have to do a weight loss trial. My surgeon said he wanted me to try and get into the habit of drinking lots of water and stuff. And i have been trying to cut out my Diet Dr. Pepper craving from my life. But I havent been dieting either. But i havent been told you have to lose this much weight before we operate. On to my point, i love food, i love the wrong kinds of food, and i am using this surgery as a way to reteach myself how to eat. Now my question, i know that after surgery everything will change, so right now i have been enjoying my favorite foods that later i will not be able to have. I havent been going crazy or anything but i have been enjoying the carbs and ice cream and sweets. This worries me because i read so many other peoples posts saying how much weight they are losing before surgery so now im afraid that i maybe doing this whole thing wrong or for the wrong reasons. Please help me out, tell me if i need to stop right now and start my changing. I mean i have been doing the stuff the surgeon specifically said, but now i feel like that out of control teenager you know the one "Well mom you said not to have any friends over, but you never said i couldnt have a party with strangers" HELP!! PLEASE!!! Because if i am doing this all wrong then i only have 13 days to fix it!

I had to loose before surgery but I enjoyed the foods that I loved the most right until my 2 days of a liquid diet. I would suggest that you enjoy your foods in moderation to ensure you don't add on too many pounds before your surgery.

I am 2 weeks out and I still LOVE food and boy do I miss it but I do not miss being fat. I mean I am still big but everyday I am loosing and that is motivation alone.

Good luck to you!

You need to start making some changes now. Here's why.

Eating a lot of fatty, sugary foods right before surgery makes your liver big and fatty. That can cause problems during surgery. One TT member actually had her liver crack during surgery. This made her surgery last much longer than usual and caused her to need to be in the hospital longer than usual.

In addition, making the changes you need to make after surgery will be easier if you get started now. It really will.

Here is something else to keep in mind. You are not getting ready to give up good food forever. Most of what you like to eat now, you will be able to eat again. Some people don't tolerate sugar well after surgery, but you will probably be able to have some sweet stuff in moderation or be able to eat sugar free treats. Not a lot and not right away, but later on down the road. I dump on sugar but I can eat one small cookie. Or I make protein ice cream, which is really yummy and has no added sugar and is actually good for you.

Kelly

If I were you I would start preparing yourself. That means wean yourself off the sodas, cut the carbs, cut the sugar, eat your protein first, don't drin with your meals and not for at least 45 minutes after. I'm telling you that it will be easier if you start the habits now instead of waiting until after the surgery when you don't have a choice.

Good luck!

Here's my two cents--along with the fatty liver concerns (that scared the pants off me), try not to gain any weight before. Between last summer and my surgery (5.5.10) I gained 40 lbs. partly because I was depressed from being unemployed, but also because I knew if I did I would qualify for my insurance to pay for surgery. Well--it's just dang depressing to have to lose all that weight just to feel like you're going back to your starting point where you weren't happy anyway. But that's just me. Also I would say this--you know you're going to have to begin to learn new habits after surgery. New habits are HARD! What makes it harder? Reinforcing old habits! But you know this already. :-)

First, let me say, I understand how difficult it is to cut out your favorite foods/carbs. I was one whose car would drive itself to the Mickey D's, so I could get a Big Mac!*lol* But, honestly, you're not doing yourself any favors by having all these "last suppers." Even though your doctor never instructed you to lose weight, you'll be better off in the long run, if you did. If you lost weight, your liver would shrink and make it easier for your doctor to do the surgery.

Although, you're giving up the Dr. Pepper, you may find variations of the foods you enjoy now to eat after wls. Of course, follow all your doctor's instructions. The surgery will reroute your gut, but will not rewire your brain. That's your job, so you may as well take control now!

My situation was similiar to yours. I didn't have to do any pre-surgery dieting either-- and although I tried to get off coke zero and cheese popcorn, it just didn't happen for me. Surgery forced me off those things and I'm grateful for it. I just wasn't able to do it by myself. After surgery, my cravings are gone and I am very carefully and easily able to follow my new sensible eating plan. You will be able to as well. It's a second chance to develop better habits. Don't worry and Good Luck! :)

My situation was similiar to yours. I didn't have to do any pre-surgery dieting either-- and although I tried to get off coke zero and cheese popcorn, it just didn't happen for me. Surgery forced me off those things and I'm grateful for it. I just wasn't able to do it by myself. After surgery, my cravings are gone and I am very carefully and easily able to follow my new sensible eating plan. You will be able to as well. It's a second chance to develop better habits. Don't worry and Good Luck! :)

While this was my case, too, be careful as this doesn't happen to everyone. Some people have great difficulty with cravings after surgery.

I actually posted the same question on another forum last week or so. I haven't gone overboard but I've definitely been enjoying old favorites, especially bread.

Then.... I went to the doctor today for an unrelated issue. They weigh me everytime I go in and I gained 3 lbs since the last time I had been there a month or so ago. So, I got to thinking.. sure, I wasn't told I needed to lose a certain amount of weight and I only have to do a 1 week liquid diet, but I want to go into this weighing less than I do now. It's less weight I'll have to shed after surgery. Losing a little now will make my back and knees feel better until surgery. Losing a little now will make my liver less fatty. The only down side is I won't be able to stuff my face with bad food. Wait... that's an upside :) I guess there is no downside.

It's kind of like an alcoholic having a last bender before entering the rehab doors, or a drug addict doing one last line before rehab. Life isn't ending. These are the foods that got us here in the first place. We made the choice to put them in our mouth. Lets conciously make the choice to NOT put them in our mouth before the choice is made for us. I think that's a more satisfying outcome, to do it on your own vs being forced.

Good luck! My pre-op appointment is the day of your surgery so I'll be thinking of you and sending you good juju for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery. Save me a spot on the losers bench :)

I tried to "do right" but ended up having a few FOOD FUNERALS. It's just my opinion, but you will do the right thing when you have to. After surgery, something changes in your HEAD and for a while, you tend to follow the rules. Don't be so hard on yourself. I kept thinking "If I could change it in 4 weeks, why didn't I change it before now, why does having a surgery date make it change". Surgery is a tool, you will slowly figure out your personal relationship with food and how to change it. my best advice is to take advantage of all the programs and services, including group therapy, support groups, and nutritional counseling - whatever they offer, you never know what part will "click" with you. Enjoy the journey. k

I tried to "do right" but ended up having a few FOOD FUNERALS. It's just my opinion, but you will do the right thing when you have to. After surgery, something changes in your HEAD and for a while, you tend to follow the rules. Don't be so hard on yourself. I kept thinking "If I could change it in 4 weeks, why didn't I change it before now, why does having a surgery date make it change". Surgery is a tool, you will slowly figure out your personal relationship with food and how to change it. my best advice is to take advantage of all the programs and services, including group therapy, support groups, and nutritional counseling - whatever they offer, you never know what part will "click" with you. Enjoy the journey. k

I really wish people would stop saying this because what is true for one, some, or many isn't necessarily true for each individual. If this was the case, would we have so many newbies testing their pouches? Please don't rely on changes in your head to occur automatically. It may not be that way for you.

I really wish people would stop saying this because what is true for one, some, or many isn't necessarily true for each individual. If this was the case, would we have so many newbies testing their pouches? Please don't rely on changes in your head to occur automatically. It may not be that way for you.

that's a good point... during one of my initial meetings with my surgeon, pre-op, he told me some stories about some of his patients for whom the surgery did not work (not using names, of course). he told me about one instance where the woman had her friend bring her a chocolate shake into the hospital a day after the surgery. /facepalm

back to the OP, though, I was never given a specific weight # to lose before my surgery. I had a pretty intense pre-op diet for 2 weeks before my surgery, but was never told I had to lose weight (my nutritionist's attitude was something along the lines of "if you were capable of completely changing your diet and dropping a bunch of weight on your own without help, you wouldn't be here"). I had a couple "last meals" where I chowed down on my favorite foods, but my nutritionist did encourage me to start learning to cook healthy foods sooner rather than later, so in-between my few binge meals, I also started cooking a lot of fish and other healthy meals.

hello Audrey, This member was talking about the PRE-OP diet and was feeling bad about not being able to stick to it, my point was to tell her that the surgery itself causes a change, you remember when you got out of surgery, you didn't want to eat and then you began to notice the scale and the weight loss. She has no "pouch" to test at this point. karen

After surgery, something changes in your HEAD and for a while, you tend to follow the rules.

Something may have changed in your head after surgery. But I wonder what makes you think that will happen for the OP or why you think that experience is typical. They operate on our stomachs, not our heads. I see many, many people post on these forums about the mental and emotional issues they struggle with after surgery. It does not change things in the heads of many patients.

Kelly

Something may have changed in your head after surgery. But I wonder what makes you think that will happen for the OP or why you think that experience is typical. They operate on our stomachs, not our heads. I see many, many people post on these forums about the mental and emotional issues they struggle with after surgery. It does not change things in the heads of many patients.

Kelly

Kelly, lighten up, it's MY opinion. It's my experience that people don't just do things when told to, it's when it begins to CLICK inside of them. The surgery itself causes swelling and the sensation of fullness. The inital days after surgery usually result in weight loss and that alone is encouraging, don't YOU remember how you felt??? Of course I know that WLS doesn't fix food relationships and habits and addictions, that is WHY group therapy is a part of the program. Karen

Thank you for all of your answers. They have helped me in many ways. I wasnt saying I havent done anything to prepare myself for surgery. I weaned myself off of soda, and i am working out more than i ever did. I noticed that i dont snack as much as i use to. My old snacking was more like me ending up having 5 or 6 large meals a day. However, i do agree that cutting back is best right now. I am trying to enjoy the journey but i dont want the journey to lead me back to where i started. Did you know that one of the contestants on biggest loser about 2 or 3 seasons ago had actually had gastric bypass surgery? This is my fear, as i know its everyones. I will start to work on my ways now, but i will also enjoy somethings too but in moderation! Thank you very much!!

I am sorry i didnt mean to start a big debate. We are all here to help each other and i appreciate everyones help. I believe i have a better understanding of things now. Once again thank you very much!

My doctor didn't make me lose weight before the surgery, but he did explain how rapid weight loss a few weeks before the surgery made it a lot safer because it shrinks your liver. The liver is right over the stomach, so the smaller it is, the easier it is to move out of the way for the surgeon.

He recommended I go on the Atkins Induction Phase diet for two weeks prior because he found that it's the easiest diet for most of his patients to stick to and it was actually invented to help patients drop weight quickly before surgery. It's actually a great diet for a short duration. They've revamped it and you can eat up to three cups of veggies a day and less cheese then you used to be able to eat. Plus, it definitely starts you on the protein kick you'll need to be on for the rest of your life.

I think it's also important to know that you're not necessarily giving up all those things for the whole entirety of the rest of your life. I've never been addicted to certain drinks, so I can see how that will be hard as that's the one you probably should give up for the rest of your life. However, eventually you'll be able to eat a small portion of ice cream if you want it, etc.

I was extremely motivated right before surgery because it was liberating to know that all the weight I lost wouldn't be coming back. It'd stay off.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by alaskanterrie View Post

My situation was similiar to yours. I didn't have to do any pre-surgery dieting either-- and although I tried to get off coke zero and cheese popcorn, it just didn't happen for me. Surgery forced me off those things and I'm grateful for it. I just wasn't able to do it by myself. After surgery, my cravings are gone and I am very carefully and easily able to follow my new sensible eating plan. You will be able to as well. It's a second chance to develop better habits. Don't worry and Good Luck!

Also.. those cravings might be gone in the first few weeks post op, because well... you're healing from surgery... it does not mean those cravings are gone for life.. this is a lifelong trek that we're on.. and the ease of sticking to a plan now, when the pouch is the size of a walnut and the east of sticking to the plan in 2-3-10 years- totally different.. take the time pre-op and immediately post op to work on the HEAD.. this surgery does nothing for the mental side of things and it is unwise to head into surgery thinking it is a cure-all. Because nothing could be further from the truth.

As Life said, the Atkins is a great diet; I still follow it almost 2.5 months post op. Also, you may be able to eat the same things after surgery (obviously not immediately, though). Try your hardest to re-train yourself now and break the habit. Especially since you will be on liquids for about 2 weeks, and then soft squishies for another 2 weeks.

Things do change after surgery, but it is not always a miraculous change. I just want you to be prepared. My tastes haven't changed, and every so often I still get cravings for food. I have drank before 30-40 minutes, and have REGRETTED IT SEVERELY.

Everyone's different. Good luck :)

Two nights before surgery I went to go have my "last supper". I was so excited to gorge myself on all my favorite foods. The minute they put that food in front of me... I COULDN'T EAT IT! I looked down over my ginormous stomach at this heaping mound of food, and completely lost my appetite for it. I ate one bite and brought the rest home to hubby. Food... had been my barometer for happiness for so long, even before surgery I realized I was done equating a meal with happiness, or a good time, or how much I "loved" a certain food. Now, I just plain love myself. I wish I had loved myself more then food all along. :)

hello Audrey, This member was talking about the PRE-OP diet and was feeling bad about not being able to stick to it, my point was to tell her that the surgery itself causes a change, you remember when you got out of surgery, you didn't want to eat and then you began to notice the scale and the weight loss. She has no "pouch" to test at this point. karen

Gloria, I understood perfectly what the OP was saying. Of course being pre-wls, she has no pouch to test. Yes, I do recall not wanting to eat after surgery, however, that isn't the case with everyone. Sometimes the desire to eat is very overwhelming! You evidently believe that surgery will bring some head changes. I understand this was your experience, as it was mine. I had no desire to eat and ate only because I was required to. However, telling someone that this absolutelyhappens is irresponsible, IMO, because this does not happen to everyone. Again, read some of the newbie threads. There are more than a few who do test their pouches. We don't know that the OP will have the same experiences you and I had.

Gloria, I understood perfectly what the OP was saying. Of course being pre-wls, she has no pouch to test. Yes, I do recall not wanting to eat after surgery, however, that isn't the case with everyone. Sometimes the desire to eat is very overwhelming! You evidently believe that surgery will bring some head changes. I understand this was your experience, as it was mine. I had no desire to eat and ate only because I was required to. However, telling someone that this absolutelyhappens is irresponsible, IMO, because this does not happen to everyone. Again, read some of the newbie threads. There are more than a few who do test their pouches. We don't know that the OP will have the same experiences you and I had.

You know, but I struggle DAILY with my head and my cravings, my point is that I finally got it, that I am responsible for my actions and no calorie eaten goes unnoticed. I am in full support of the whole COE structure and lessons, classes, and support. I went for 6 weeks with 1 pound lost, mainly because I was substituting new high calorie food for old food choices. I am learning my relationship with food and I am far from where I need to be. I am sincere that it takes something to trigger a "knowing" and for me it was surgery. I am not irresponsible, I am ONE PERSON with ONE OPINION. k

After surgery, something changes in your HEAD and for a while, you tend to follow the rules.

Maybe I misconstrued the above quote, but it sounded like you were stating FACT. This is not a FACT. It's your opinion, which you didn't indicate until you posted later. That.is.all.

Maybe I misconstrued the above quote, but it sounded like you were stating FACT. This is not a FACT. It's your opinion, which you didn't indicate until you posted later. That.is.all.

Well Audrey, for ME, it was a FACT. Hopefully people come to and AH HA moment (hopefully sooner than later). This is a chat line right? not a professional medical service?????