mjune

Need more protein but afraid to try new things

Did anybody else have fears about trying new sources of protein once you were given the green light by your doctor? My doctor said to try some meats, just to chew, chew. I'm petrified though. I have not gotten sick once since surgery and I really want to keep it that way. So, I've been sticking to the protein shakes. I've tried canned chicken and tuna and they stayed down fine. I just don't know what to try next and how to prepare it. Yikes. Plus, my appetite is pretty much gone, so I'm not highly motivated to eat anyway. Feels like a chore.

Try crab, it's so flaky it goes down easy.

Greek yogurt is great protein also.

I waited on beef and pork till a long time out, pork still gives me issues 8 months out, steak is my best friend, well 2nd best, shrimp is my best (my pouches best).

Tried refried beans? Fat free refrieds, cheese, greek yogurt make a yummy protein filled meal.

Yes, refried beans are the best! I ate them (still do sometimes) with a little reduced fat cheese and sour cream. They were my fallback meal early out.

I was also afraid to try new foods for fear of getting sick. I told both my surgeon and nutritionist that I was never going to throw up any food! And I think I could have kept that promise, except for the stricture I got. :(

Just try new foods slowly- take a bite or two, then wait and see how it goes.

I know exactly how you feel, I am about 8 months out and eating crab meat, chili and soup. I do find beef jerky to be easy to digest, high in protein and good. I know it sounds very odd but try it out. I now take it with me on travels and when I am not sure what food will be available. I wish you the best, Diann

I agree with the crab meat. Plus here at least crab legs are cheap right now to buy. I am doing chicken in the crock pot and once it is cooked to death it goes down without a problem. I have tried it with marinara sauce and parmesean cheese and with barbeque sauce and had no problem. I am also eating alot of tuna. Eggs are not a problem and I made my normal quiche today and as long as I don't eat the crust I can have it.

I have yet to try the greek yogurt but I have it in the fridge. I am just waiting for the weekend to see what I can do with it. Cottage cheese is fine as well.

You just have to remember to chew, chew, chew. If you do that, you won't have a problem.

I think the Doctors say "try anything" but the best advice I can give is to try very little, very slowly and for the first time at home. And realize that you can eat something delicious today and tomorrow it may make you sick.

Food suggestions that are protein rich:

greek non fat or plain yogurt

cottage cheese

soft non fat and reduced fat cheese-string or sliced

beans-baked or cold in a salad with oil and vniegar dressing and salt and pepper, etc.

tuna salad

sliced deli turkey/chicken

fish of any kind-smoked salmon slides down well

chili

soups-read all labels carefully-look for fat and sugar contents to be low, low, low-don't try broccoli, etc-things that are hard to digest

Eggs

Seafood is fabulously high in protein-try with lemon or butter substitute

Don't be afraid to add a little garnish or condiment for flavor!

Shrimp!

I like mine just steamed - cold - as is and I'm never without a big bag of cooked ones in the freezer (shell on).

When I fancy some, I just drop them into a bowl with cold water and they're completely defrosted in a short time.

I am so afraid to try new things, but I am sooooo sick of the protein shakes. I HATE vanilla anythng so all I drink are the chocolate ones. Ive tried different brands etc, but they are all pretty gross. i know I have to just suck it up and try new things, but I have been so nauseous anyway since my surgery I dont want to. I am sick to the point of hardly eating anything at all now because I gave a stricture, getting fixed monday. I am hoping i will feel better then, but I am still afraid if I eat something new I will get sick again. So far I have tried chicken, eggs, white fish, chili, and black bean soup. I can only eat about 2 bites of anything atm so I am not even sure it counts. The only thing I got sick on was the black bean soup. weird, right?

I am especially afraid to try the yogurt, because i heard alot of people get lactose intolerant post op.

Thanks for all the ideas everybody. Part of my problem is just food motivation - I have none. It's easier to make up a shake than to drive to the store and spend time cooking for 4 tablespoons of food. Hopefully, my energy will improve soon and I'll feel more motivated. My Mom is going to come over one day next week and help me do some cooking/freezing of smaller quantities. I think that will help.

My go to food, super high in protein and so healthy and yummy and fat free... cevechi! Cevechi is a latin food... it's usually made with shrimp, tomatoes, onion, cilantro, avacado, sometimes cucumber, garlic and a little jalepeno. You dice everything and then add a ton of lime juice some sea salt and a little pepper. It is delicious! I've made it at all my GB parties, and of course my regular ones. You can't beat it, and I have personally never heard of anyone having trouble digesting it. If it sounds good, send me a message and I'll type you out specific instructions. And face it, you're just going to have get up the courage and start trying some things... eat slowly and chew chew chew. I always tried new foods at home just in case! And it is trial and error, but you aren't going to know what you can or can't have until you test somethings! C'mon! Take a chance! It's only food! hehe

I know this may sound unappetizing to some, but I love it.... corned beef hash.

I've been having a version of corned beef hash every day this week - but I make it with the IKEA meatballs that are always in my freezer :D Tastes GOOD! And I can make a big meal for all the family at the same time.

Tuna and egg salad is also always in the fridge now - but the rest of the family keep stealing that. I've just got some prawns too - I'll be having that tonight with a homemade Thousand Island dressing.

the only protein I've ever had a problem with has been chicken (well, a hardboiled egg once, but I eat eggs like 4-5 times/week and only ever that issue once, so I blame myself, not the eggs)... if you're looking for new sources of protein, fish, shrimp, scallops, or any ground meat are probably all safe bets and pretty versitile.

I've been having a version of corned beef hash every day this week - but I make it with the IKEA meatballs that are always in my freezer :D Tastes GOOD! And I can make a big meal for all the family at the same time.

Tuna and egg salad is also always in the fridge now - but the rest of the family keep stealing that. I've just got some prawns too - I'll be having that tonight with a homemade Thousand Island dressing.

Corned beef hash works very well! And I was wondering about the Ikea meatballs. I was shopping there a few weeks ago and it it was way past lunchtime. I thought about getting the child's portion of their meatballs, but was worried about the fat content (even though it is low), so I just skipped having lunch that day. Nice to know I can have them if that situation comes up again- which it will, cause I love Ikea!

I only have 2 and there is fat in them. But sometimes I need something with taste that I find comforting. IKEA meatballs are my comfort food at the moment.

I only have 2 and there is fat in them. But sometimes I need something with taste that I find comforting. IKEA meatballs are my comfort food at the moment.

You had your surgery a day after I did...and are already eating meatballs? I'M JEALOUS!!!

Monday it will be two weeks and I'm still going to be on "soft foods." did your doctor give you the OK? Because clearly everyone gives different tips...I'm assuming because everyone's body is different, but I kinda want to try eating things that are soft like FISH and if they go down then....everyone's happy??

My gastric bypass was 6-29-10 and I am still on protein shakes only!! Yuk yuk yuk!!! I can't even get any down anymore...makes me want to vomit! I am reading these posts and people close to me date wise are eating REAL stuff...I know every surgeon is different. It still stinks though. Loving all the ideas I am getting from all of you though. Thanks guys!

I'm terrified of trying new foods too, but just take it easy and see how it goes. I haven't had any trouble yet, which is great.

The first time that I tried ground beef, I made my kids "sloppy joe's". The sauce helped things and kept it moist.

I also tried shaved turkey from the deli and made turkey devonshire for the family, but I just had the turkey with a little of the homemade cheese sauce...again, keeping it moist.

Also, I had a hot dog (well, half a hot dog and no bun) with ketchup, etc.

I think the key to trying protein early out is keeping it very moist, whatever it is.

I know it's scary trying to new things but honestly, the only way to move forward is to slowly work in more foods. You'll learn the things that are easy and will know where you've made mistakes. For instance, I was fine eating chicken that I'd made in my crockpot but had a problem when I ate regular grilled chicken breast. Now I know: chew, chew, chew PLUS I usually eat my grilled chicken with a mixture of low fat sour cream and salsa so I have that extra moisture I need. Also, you're not hungry now but as you progress further and further out, you're probably going to get tired of the shakes and start building an appetite.

Do you have a crock-pot? It's a sure fire way to get moist, tender meat. I've done everything from pork tenderloin to chicken to pot roast. Mmmm :) Meatloaf is also a good, easy choice (I make mine with ground turkey!).